“Aug. 13-19, 2011 Casa Velas and PV just better and better!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Velas

You added Casa Velas to your Saves list
Casa Velas
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pelicanos 311, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico (Formerly the Regent hotel and Quinta Real)   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #4 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Chapala, Mexico
“Aug. 13-19, 2011 Casa Velas and PV just better and better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Early morning, not yet sunrise and the two old ladies are off in the car from Lake Chapala area to Puerto Vallarta. Some would say imagine taking the risk of driving 6 hours across Mexico with all the troubles being reported, but then some do not know the reality and believe all they are told. Thru Dangerous Guadalajara without event, biggest danger the drivers speeding along, a tad aggressive with driving skills LOL. On and on we go, stopping for potty breaks, stretch the old bones, ah yes, pay the tolls, the cuotas or toll roads are pricey here but well maintained. Excitement is building as we start the journey thru one of 3 forests or jungles we go thru, windy, curvy, dangerous, oh no , not from what you expect like banditos or cartels, from risk taking drivers, pass on curves, etc. Lots of traffic this trip compounded by construction, but we move on…we enter Nuevo Vallarta, oh we are so close…pass the airport, into the lovely Marina area of Puerto Vallarta and alas, the beautiful iron scrolled gated entrance to Casa Velas, we are home, my home away from home. Six and a half hours and thru many cities and two states in Mexico and not one incident or danger. This is a many time repeat visit for me, but the first to Casa Velas for mom, she is oohing and ahhing at the entrance, and the lobby , oh my, as I expected she loves it. We are welcomed with open arms, smiles, cool cloths and a cold drink. Check in is like a relaxing conversation with an old friend, so smooth and relaxing. I can already feel the tranquility absorbing me. The wonderful bellboys whisk away my car after getting out the luggage, offer a tour of facilites and then to our room. I believe Pablo and Eduardo took care of us. Eduardo even filling up our small cooler with ice along with an ice bucket for the room. He seemed to always be available to assist us.

Room 601 a Royal Villa Suite will be our home for the next week. Now this is a room to live and be pampered in. Mom is talking of moving in with Dad and never leaving, no clue where I stand in all this LOL. Hope I can get her out of here in a week. The villa is similar to a condo, you could live there. It is two floors. You enter first floor, staircase to left, bathroom to right with sink, shower, toilet, etc. Marble floors, columns etc….nice foyer…2 small steps down into living room which has a couch/pull out bed, 2 soft chairs, lamps, coffee table, end tables etc. To the left is the dining area with a glass topped table and 4 chairs, telephone, and another small table. The décor throughout is posh Mexican, marble, tiles, artwork, etc……off the living room and again off the dining room are sliding doors, both lead to a back yard, yes our own yard with a plunge pool, a terrace with table and 4 chairs, 2 teak loungers. Plenty of open space in this first floor and even a big closet. The stairs are in two landings with a curve, up we go….lo and behold a huge master bedroom, 2 side tables, lamps and overhead lighting, a desk, alarm clock, CD player, safe, TV, minibar, ( this is stocked daily) glasses, a snack tray ( granola bars, chips, etc.) coffee maker, dresser with draws, big sliding window in front and also in back…to the left a huge bathroom with a closet, full length mirror ( a frequent complaint of mine in Mexico, lack of full length mirror LOL)sink, toilet, hairdryer, ironing board, shower and Jacuzzi, and another slider leading to another terrace with a padded loveseat built in lounger……flowers and beauty surround all this…maybe my mom is right, I could live here! Before our arrival I had placed a few requests to Jesus , the Chief concierge, and each and every one was met to perfection or even more…This is just an incredible room, what a honeymoon suite it would be, or anniversary, where is my hubby when I want him LOL. We start to unpack and notice a bottle of wine,glasses and a plate with a welcome sign and different candies and fruits on it, along with apples, and grapes on table…nice welcome touch! The room has 2 air conditioning controls one on each floor, and is made up every day, along with turn down service at night. It is stocked with amenities like spa soap, shampoo, conditioner, q-tips, nail file, cotton balls, plenty of towels and facecloths, mouthwash etc…. a daily breakfast menu for room service you can hang on your door by 2am and specify time is also available, or you can go to restaurant in morning or just call in room service, whatever is your pleasure. They are a green hotel so the pools are solar heated and the sheets are only changed if you put a sign with an adorable tassle on it requesting so.

The hotel was at high occupancy due to the Nuestra Belleza ( Beauty Contest for Miss Mexico, who will go on to Miss Universe Pageant), 16 of these beautiful ladies staying here. Though it was at full capacity it never affected the service nor did you even realize it was so occupied.

Due to it being rainy season and also the fact that the contestants would not be taking part in any of usual activities on site, the activities were by request. The boutique was not open the usual hours but all you had to do was go to front desk and they would let you in. We did this well let me just say more than once LOL. The tequila tasting demonstration was by request only. The cocktail parties were not held, but if you wanted coffee and the desserts on the tree like in non rainy season or busy time, they would bring it. Actually was kind of neat since everything was on a request basis, almost like the feeling of just for you! The cooking classes also were on request basis. They were going to do the tequila testing demo for us and another couple but the other couple backed out so we said never mind as I have done before and Mom rather shop LOL.

We had many meals in our room or on our patio via room service and each and every time it was set up like a restaurant….Always at the right temperature, delivered timely and always good!

We had lunch either by the pool ( Hector and Freddy our waiters there, were always ready with our drinks before even asking) on our loungers or at Emilianos Restaurant outside, of course they have the spa menu there for those on special diets or watching their figures.
At night we dined at Emilianos but inside always, as the rains if they are coming will usually come at night LOL….Many nights they had a piano player in Emiliano’s Restaurant. He was very good but a couple nights he played a bit too loud for easy conversation and the feeling of tranquility and elegance at Emiliano’s at night. The food, well what can I say…it is better and better each time. Always presented fantastically and of picture taking quality, always top quality. No buffets, all a la carte and good variety. It is essentially gourmet food but not skimpy, the portions are plentiful. Sadly for my waist line, I loved almost everything…and so did Mom. We also tried many different drinks and Mom tried some different wines as she is a wine drinker, now I like tequila. One night I had remembered from a previous visit the salmon which was wonderful, so of course once I thought of it , I craved it, but it was not on menu. So I just asked “ I am craving salmon is there any way I could have that even if not on menu?” The waiter said just one minute and returned all smiles of course, we will prepare it for you special with asparagus etc…and anything else you desire. This is like dining out at a restaurant of top caliber with your very own cook, imagine! A few favorites to make you hungry…eggplant salad, organic salad, artichoke soup served in a bread bowl, Lobster and crab roll, Fliet Mignon, that was so tender no need for a knife though of course one was provided, duck crepes, Chicken Osso Bucco, the list goes on but the desserts Paris delight incredible, crème brullee to die for, choclolate and vanilla tears with fruits…..opera cake…oh my need I say more..the food is incredible. Emilianos Restaurant it top notch and has been given many awards. Oh yes I almost forgot, the service….since my last visit the timing has improved 100%, had been a tad too slow, was mentioned and well it is perfect now. I cannot possibly remeber everyone’s name but I will thank and mention some of our waiters, Bernadino, I think head waiter, Moises and Leon always smiling and helpful as well as Noe and Yomar. Always polite, respectful and calling us by our names, I think that is a very nice touch as well. All of the staff does this, Mr or Mrs…so and so..for everything, and they remember what you drink, you feel pretty special. To top all this off they all speak excellent English. I will also write a review on Emiliano’s later. Our All Inclusive bracelets are unique, no plastic here, braided with a silver medallion so looks like jewelry, okay I admit it, I still have mine on, memories LOL. I can dream I am still there can’t I???

We usually enjoyed drinks in the Lobby Bar after dinner, our waiter the infamous Benny. A fabulous bartender along with entertainer and very talented as well. He made us animals out of corks and toothpicks, incredible and he has made flowers and such out of drink stirrers other times. He had us laughing so hard one night we almost fell off the bar stools, and it was not too much to drink LOL. We did try all kinds of drinks though, we had Margaritas, all kinds, Palomas, Martinis, all kinds, sweet drinks, etc. Always top shelf alcohol.

Mr. Bonin the managing Director and Jesus the Chief Concierge, along with Gaby the night concierge are always present, not hidden away in offices and they make sure everything runs smooth and everyone staying there is happy. They go the extra mile for sure. All the staff does, guess that goes along with following in managements lead.
An example of a special touch is the boutique, it is small but has some lovely items. Mom wanted to try some things on, but she takes her time etc, so they offered to bring them to our room for her to try and then return later or next morning, she loved that and she did buy a beautiful dress and necklace. A forever reminder of Casa Velas for her.

We spent one day over at the private beach club. You go to lobby where a bellboy will greet you or ask front desk girls ( of whom I forgot their names but they were more than helpful many times) and they have an air conditioned van take you over to private beach club which is just 3 minutes away. You arrive, are escorted in, pick your chairs, loungers, cabanas, etc. by the pool or right on beach sand…..there is an infinity pool, 2 hot tubs, bathrooms, and a restaurant all above the beach, down a few steps, loungers and cabanas on beach….as I said the best of all worlds…We dined there where they have an Asian fusion menu. Sushi, Asian foods and a shrimp tempura to die for…..we split that and I also had the Ginger Chicken Wrap which I would highly recommend. We had a great time over at this private beach club and then just asked for a waiter to call for a shuttle and off we went back to Casa Velas. Other trips hubby and I have walked back and forth as well it is that close.

Speaking of walking there is a gym on site with lots of equipment/machines, never crowded and also an incredible spa. Golfers the resort is right on a golf course and there is a golf pro for lessons on site etc. You also have access to Velas Vallarta, the sister resort and they will shuttle you there as well, 2 minutes away. You can dine there, use facilities etc. Yes, I love it there as well, but is a different atmosphere, so again with access to both you have best of two worlds.

I think I mentioned the beautiful grounds but did not mention the numerous Koi ponds or the peacocks roaming the grounds nor the two yearly visiting ducks with the pink/red beaks and feet who hang by the Koi pond near Lobby bar, truly a site to behold. Apparently they return every year and then leave at some point to return the next year. The property surely makes you feel you are in paradise for sure.

There is also internet on site but they are in process of changes with providers or such, so in the rooms it was spotty but in lobby it was fine, this will resolve quickly I believe. It was exciting to see all the 16 pageant contestants, each one a representative of the beauty in their state. I actually met Miss Jalisco a sweet, beautiful lady and also got to see Miss Universe. It was truly something to remember. Miss Aguascalientes won so she will be Miss Mexico and go to the Miss Universe Pageant. So many important people were in attendence, really special.

Attention to detail and customer service seem to be priority here along with pampering and tranquility. Something not right, tell them, they will fix it, you like something different just ask. I did not like the time of turn down service, just was too early for me, so I told them and they asked me what time I would like, that was more than I expected. I asked the person who stocks the mini bar to just put diet cokes as that was what we drank in room, no coke, or juice etc, water of course. He did just that and another day I left some pesos in refrigerator as a “propina” , tip, I happened to be in room when he was restocking, he promptly told me I must have dropped some pesos in refrigerator, imagine, such honesty. I told him no that is for you, he thanked me ever so much.

So what did we do and some surprises before I end. We swam, relaxed, went to spa, slept, ate, drank, sun tanned, got pampered, ate , drank, relaxed more, swam more, shopped, walked the beach, put toes in ocean, walked the marina area, drove all over the place, checked out shopping in town, southside, drove and walked around Nuevo, found my favorite beach vendors and said hi. Briefly visited Velas Vallarta. Essentially just checked out the area for changes, feel, atmosphere etc., surprise….surprise, we never once, not even for a moment felt afraid, in danger or a change in atmosphere. We saw nor heard of any danger in the Vallarta nor Riviera Nayarit area. Surprise, it all felt just the same as it has for so many years except the Malecon is under construction and the media is not clarifying where things occur in Mexico and Mexico is a big country, not a tiny little place. Plus they are not relaying that any troubles that are happening are not in PV or Nayait and are not involving tourists. Surprise, surprise, Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit are safe tourist destinations. I am thankful that PV remains the tropical vacation destination I have adored for so long. The biggest danger you may encounter will be the desire to stay longer or to keep returning time and time again to PV and Casa Velas, be careful that is what happened to me. Though I do stay other places in PV and other coastal areas in Mexico it is hard to beat or compare with Puerto Vallarta and Casa Velas.
I hope to return to Casa Velas soon, and hope to attend a wedding there one day, hint to my son, neices, nephews, friends….
I have other reviews on here on this resort that are still relevant so check them out as well and feel free to contact me if I can help with any further questions…

Room Tip: Check room styles online and pay for type you want, many different styles, be flexible as there are...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
West Orange
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

All I can say was wow, we went there to celebrate my 50th, we wanted a special place for this milestone, and wow we were not disappointed. Each person went out of their to make us feel special, the day of my actual 50th they made me a special cake and dessert tray, I can not be more pleased about this location. The in-room deck jacuzzi was great and very relaxing, the food and all the amenities were excellent. We plan to go back real soon...hola....

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dundee, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

My wife and I took this as a belated honeymoon, I could not have been more pleased with the hotel. When we first arrived we were starving so we checked in and went to the reasturaunt, somehow the hostess greeted us by name having never senn her before I was very impressed. From the peacocks eating from my hand to them finding out i had never tried fresh cocanut meat and sending someone into town to buy one so i could try it our trip was absolutly amazing my wife and i already decieded to go back for our 5 year aniversy. The all inclusive fee seems steep up front but once you get there eat the food and get all the room service and top self booze you want it all become more than worth it. We are a young couple in our mid 20's and feel we may have runied travling for ourselves by staying at one of the most amazing resorts for our first one, but its something we can live with. :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear guest:

As General Manager of Casa Velas Hotel Boutique I really want to thank you for taking the time of sharing your comments at Trip Advisor and for giving us the opportunity of being your host in your holidays.

Thanks to this kind of comments we are now known as the best place for couples retreats, honeymoons and wedding anniversary celebrations in Puerto Vallarta.

Your eloquent recognition for our staff is the best reward to all our efforts to always go the extra mile to please all of our guest’s whishes and needs. We are happy to know that we were able to please your whish of trying coconut meat and that you enjoyed your breakfast time feeding the peacocks.

Thank you very much for posting your comments and experiences in this forum and we invite you to come back soon to your home away from home.

Regards,
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I recently had the opportunity to stay at Casa Velas y I must say that it was the most relaxing and delicious experience in my life. No other hotel that I have stayed at has received me in such a way as this one. When I arrived everyone was so kind- the reception was very different from any other hotel. I was seated on a comfortable sofa and served a refreshing towel and glass of Hibiscus tea. The receptionist called me by my name and saw that each of my preferences was recorded.

When I arrived at my room my luggage was already there and the person who took me to my room gave me a complete explanation of the facilities and where all of the restaurants and services were located.

The room was cozy and had a beautiful view of the golf course. I was pleasantly surprised by a beautiful plate of Mexican sweets and a Welcome card signed by the General Director of the hotel.

In the afternoon I went to the Ocean Club. This unique hotel is not on the ocean but it has a very prívate and beautiful club where you can enjoy the ocean view and first-class service. The hotel has private transportation to take you to the Club- you just ask and its there whenever you’re ready to go. The Ocean Club has a pool with two Jacuzzis, it’s so calm, the vendors that normally on the beach aren’t even a bother. There are comfortable lounge chairs and you are greeted with cold water. They give you a menu of Asian food and whatever you want to drink. I recommend the Cabañas Cocktail and any sushi you choose is delicious. There’s reading material and when you’re finished sunbathing, go back to the hotel and schedule a massage at the Spa.

Casa Velas has a boutique Spa, very cozy just like the entire hotel. I had a 50-min holistic massage, and you can use the hydrotherapy areas, you just have to arrive an hour before your treatment to enjoy it all. They take you to the sauna, the steam room, the pressure shower and finally to the big Jacuzzi, always making sure you have everything you need. They bring you water and a chlorophyll drink and after the hydrotherapy I had my massage. Everyone was very professional and the therapist always made sure that I was comfortable, as well as using the aroma I chose. It was super-relaxing. I was then taken to the rest area and given a tea and neck compress. I returned to my room and got ready for dinner at Emiliano restaurant but first I had a glass of wine by the pool. They showed me to my table where I was given mineral water, and the wine list, from which I was recommended a sparkling white wine.
The dinner was sensational. I ordered a brie cheese with lobster but before that I was served a cheese platter. For the main course I ordered the Duck with Red Fruits and for dessert cheesecake with vanilla ice cream and an espresso. I slept so well that night. The pillows are so comfortable, as was the bed. I asked for a 9:00am wakeup call. Oh and I forgot to mention that when I returned to my room after dinner I saw a beautiful night service had been done- they arranged my robe and slippers, breakfast menu and sweets.

In the morning they brought my breakfast exactly as I had ordered it and right on time. Rangel was the person who brought me my breakfast of fresh coffee, spinach omelet, juice and fresh bread and he was great. A while later I went back to Emiliano for lunch before leaving the hotel. I ordered my food from the Spa Menu which has lots of healthy and delicious items- clear vegetable soup and a roasted veggie sandwich with italian dressing. When I checked out my luggage was already in my car and my bill ready. They said goodbye to me with the same warmth as when I arrived.

Casa Velas is the most beautiful boutique hotel I have ever visited, with its gardens and architecture, but I have to say that what makes this place so special is its people. Kudos to the whole staff- you made this place my home away from home. Thank you!

Room Tip: The Master Suite is so confortable for a romantic get away
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Please allow me to express that guest satisfaction is very important to us and we are honored for this wonderful review about your last stay with us. Our goal is to provide an atmosphere that is full of comfort and tranquility to people who seek a completely relaxing vacation experience.

It was truly a pleasure to have you here with us, at your home away from home in Vallarta. The entire Casa Velas staff and I are grateful to have been able to serve you during your vacation, and to have made a positive impression. We are so glad that you enjoyed the tranquil, relaxed atmosphere as well as the exquisite dishes in the restaurants and drinks prepared at the Beach Club as you enjoyed the sun and sea.

La Verne, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

From the moment we stepped into Casa Velas our needs and comforts were attended to on a level neither me nor my wife had ever experienced. The friendly staff, beautiful surroundings and outstanding food were key elements in a Honeymoon that exceeded our expectations.

We chose to do an all-inclusive package and while it wasn't cheap (our parents helped chip-in) we both felt it was an extreme bargain. Any drink you could think of was made (and made well) to order and the food selection was not only diverse but the food itself was superb. It was fine-dining that rivals anything I've had in the states. I have been a waiter in upscale restaurants for many years and the service and elegance of Casa Velas far exceeded anything I'd ever seen.

When my wife and I wanted room service, it was timely and delicious. When we needed extra toothpaste (we ran out) it was rushed to our room free of charge. There were no hidden fees (we only tipped the wait staff, bartenders etc.) and no surprises.

Puerto Vallarta was a very safe feeling city and we felt completely at home there. My wife and I generally travel VERY cheaply (hostels, backpacking and such) but we are not sure if we can ever go back to traveling so thriftily after this amazing experience. We have never been so relaxed and care free in all of our lives.

When it was time to leave we nearly cried (I am not lying or exaggerating). The was incredible, the hotel was beautiful and the city was inviting. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
casavelasmanagement, Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Dear guest,

Receive warm greetings from Puerto Vallarta! We are very pleased to know that your honeymoon at Casa Velas exceeded your expectations.

We appreciate your comments about the food and service, as always we try to keep all our standards at the top so we can constantly offer an authentic All Inclusive quality service in all aspects.

Prove of this commitment is the recent award that our main restaurant got. Emilianos recently has been recognized with the international Star Diamond Award. This reward recognizes the best restaurants worldwide based on food quality, presentation, service, wine selection, décor, ambiance amongst other things.

We are honored to know that our authentic and charismatic service style made your honeymoon pleasant and memorable. It’s always comforting to know that our effort to exceed our guest’s expectations gives you the confidence to come back to your home away from. Be sure that we will be awaiting you to pamper you again.

Thank you very much for posting your comments in this forum and mostly for being wonderful Ambassadors of Casa Velas and Puerto Vallarta by sharing your positive experiences about your vacation in Mexico.

Regards,

Casa Velas Hotel
Port Orchard, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This was our second trip to Casa Velas. Absolutely perfect, and just like we remembered. When we arrived we received our drink, and cold towels. We were initially placed in a room that we didn't love, so they switched us to the room we stayed in previously. Great service!

We will see Casa Velas again next March! I am excited to relax at the beach club, I hope they still know how to make my Strawberry Mojito. :-)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I just came back from Casa Velas and it was great! It was only for one night but felt longer. The staff could not do enough for us. They were so attentive, warm and friendly. It was such a calm hotel and felt as if it was my own home as they only have 80 rooms. The lobby was warm, intimate and had a wonderful water feature in the center. The view of the golf course was beautiful from my private plunge pool. I turned off my AC, turned on the fan and opened the doors so I could see the plunge pool and view. Definitly not a view I would have being from NYC! It was such a wonderful calm visit.

Room Tip: Has only 4 floors, so ask for a high floor overlooking golf course
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
casavelasmanagement, Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Dear Guest.

It is always a pleasure to know that we have exceeded our guest’s expectations on regards of the service provided by our dedicated staff and the food quality at the property.

Thank you again for expressing your opinion about your stay with us and it will be my pleasure to welcome you in your next visit, but next time you have to stay at least for five days so you can experience all the benefits that Casa Velas has to offer.

”YOUR HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Been to Casa Velas? Share your experiences!