“Suprisingly great!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Mammoth Lakes, California
“Suprisingly great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2006

Just got back from a three day stay with my 13 yr old daughter and my girlfriend and her 13 yr old daughter (my daughter's best friend). We booked this hotel with a package and I had read the TripAdvisor reviews to help me pick this hotel. The reviews varied widely, so I didn't know what to expect.

We loved it!!

Our two 13 yr olds had a great time. Suprisingly they really enjoyed playing in the kids pool. We noticed many bigger kids and their parents in the water there, seemingly having a great time.

The food: We found great fresh choices at the breakfast and lunch buffet every day. I suspect if we were there a week it would get old, but we're all good with fresh fruits and veggies and made to order omelettes and fresh smoothies for breakfast and fresh salads and fish, etc. for lunch. I was impressed by the quality and freshness of the fish for lunch. Ieven liked many of their hot mexican dishes for lunch. Puerto Vallarta has one of the best dining scenes of all the Mexican "resorts" I've been to (better than Cancun, Cabo, Acapulco, etc.) We ate at the hotel for dinner one night but ate out the other two (even though we bought the all inclusive). We wished we had more nights to eat out. The food was fabulous. Two recommendations: Barcelona Tapas (great view, excellent and reasonbly priced wine list) and Mariscos Polo (incredible fish, very local feeling) It would be tragic if you came to Puerto Vallarta and didn't eat ice cream (Bing's) and walk the Malecon downtown in the evening!

Rooms, staff, grounds etc. were great.

The only downside was the hard beds. The day we left someone said you could ask the front desk for a foam pad if the hard beds bothered you. I'd have done it! If they don't have foam pads, I'd walk across the street to WalMart and just buy one next time. How much could it cost??

I felt like the whole experience was great. I think more people should remember that 3 star is 3 star, not 5 star. It exceeded our expectations for a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Richmond, B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

Just got back from Crown Paradise. Spent a week with my wife and 8 year old daughter. We found it to be an excellent place for a family vacation. The rooms are a bit small but very claen. There are 4 restaurants and if you want you can eat at anyone of them as many times as you like during your stay. The service was always good and the food was as well. The portions in the French and Italian restaurants are more European in size which we thought was fine as they offer multiple courses. We heard a few people complaining but they seemed to be folks who judged food on quantity rather than quantity.
The buffet restaurant offered a lot of selection including fresh fruit and veggies every day. The fish was awesome.
And if you did not want to eat in the restaurant during the day, there is a fast food take out on the beach with burgers and other fast foods.
It was amazing to see people cleaning, pruning, painting etc all day everyday to keep the resort exceptionally clean.
There is a nice kids park with waterslides to keep younger ones entertained all day.
The best part for us was the activities staff - especially Josie and Carlos. The staff are there at 9:00 am giving out towels, making your dinner reservations, joining in the pool activities and at night you see them on stage at the Factory Club entertaining us with family type shows. And then for those who were interested,at 11:00 pm, they would take you to various clubs in PV.
Altogether, we had a great time. And so did just about everyone we spoke with.
Crown Paradise seems to attract a lot of Canadians and Mexicans too.
Try it. Unless you simply don't like kids around, you should have a great vacation.
Bob. D. and family. Richmond, B.C. Canada

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

This was a kid's paradise so if you don't mind kids everywhere, it may be okay for you. If you are looking for a good place to enjoy the beach, drinks and food, since it is an all inclusive, look elsewhere. The food at the buffet was terrible, breakfast was okay but stay away from the other meals. The Resturants were fair but you get very little and many times the reservations are booked so you don't have the option of eating there anyway. I didn't like that they limited you to have 2 bottles of water a day, come on. I also didn't like that you were rationed on your beers. No bottle beers are given out at this place, they pour it all for you in 10 ounce servings.

The room was fine, nothing good or bad to say about it other than we never had towels.

If you are looking for the benefits of an all inclusive, look elsewhere this is not the place for you to go to enjoy food and drinks

Mississauga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

I expected to post a decent review for the hotel, PRV and Mexico as this was our first trip to MX and we both love most things Spanish. Most Staff are pretty terrific, let's say that first. Rooms: This is rated 4-star but I'd give it 3. Smaller rooms, not updated, very noisy AC throughout. Pools nicely laid out and cleaned, gardens and grounds well maintained.

We were there 3/03-3/10. Up to 3/07 things were ok. Great weather, breakfasts decent, not so great lunches. We enjoyed both the French & Italian a-la-carte places but skipped the Japanese one. Way too many beach vendors (management should limit the number of vendors per day!) but they respect a simple 'no, gracias', and some of their stuff was fairly decent.

My sad story - on 3/08, I contacted a wicked viral infection from 'person, place or thing' and have been seriously ill ever since with chest & head congestion, deep cough, sore throat, eye infection. Add to that plague of Montezuma, and I haven't been able to eat or drink much of anything in a week. No taste, no smell, just super fatigue, exhaustion. We won't be returning there or to Mexico at all. We've travelled to many other places with no problems, just great vacations with all the food, downtime, and activities that we wanted.

You really do get what you pay for sometimes. This was a cheap vacation but at what cost to me personally?? About 15-20 days of severe illness.

Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2006

Wanted to try the sister hotel so decided to go to Puerto Vallarta for Spring Break. This location is okay - the Kids Pool is superb however you can not sign your kids in and leave, they do not have a true Kids Club. The food left much to be desired - they need to take lessons from the Cancun location. The Family style room offers no privacy to the Adults. The Activity people are far and few between. The lobby bar is micro tiny and does not have the same ambience that you get with Alberto and Miguel in Cancun. They do have a Beach Bar that is really nice again the bartenders do not indulge with the crowds. The Factory Club was wonderful. The staff there and the entertainment was great. Danny even looks like Noe from the Cancun location. We went outside of the restaurant to eat several of our meals as the food just was not up to par.

We have traveled to the Cancun location for 6 years and always recommend this to our friends. I do not think that I will recommend this location - after 5 days I was ready to come home. My 10 year old daughter made many friends and loved the pool but refused to eat any of their food. My 15 yr old son was on a school trip and was not with us - he called everyday thinking he was missing something as he loves the Cancun location - we assured him he was much better off on his school trip then here.

If you don't care about the food or the ambience then this place will do just fine. Otherwise research other hotels first or just go to the sister hotel in Cancun - you will definitely get your monies worth there.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2006

I was at Crown Paradise from February 8-15, 2006 and had a great time. Me and my boyfriend (me 25, him 23) thought that the resort was pretty much perfect. We're both pretty active and not big drinkers/partiers. Here's my breakdown:

Resort: Lovely. Grounds are well kept and not too big. You go down a funny little street to get there. There's 2 ABM machines within 5 minutes walking distance. The marina's right next door. My BF and I enjoyed seeing different cruise boats every day.

Room: We started out in a standard room, facing the main activity pool, on the 3rd floor. Definlently no complaints. We had 2 double beds, but we managed just fine. Our second day there, there was a problem with the plumbing in the room underneath ours and they had to do some work there so they moved us over to the Oro which is mostly for time shares (still part of Crown Paradise). That part of the resort isn't as nice, they were doing some renovations on the halls. But we had a king sized suite which we were fine with.

Pools: Nice and warm. Yes, the main pool gets busy with kids and people playing water polo, but we were in the game so that was fine. Lots of chairs around the pool and people would claim them early, but we could usually find two empty ones when we wanted to. Jacuzzi was also really nice and a good place to watch the sunset. Just hot enough, and the swim up bar was good.

Beach: The water was pretty rough (yellow flag most days, red flag 1 day) and if I had a child with me, I wouldn't let them in the ocean. Pretty strong undertow. But for us, it was perfect and we did some feeble attempts at body surfing. Lots of chairs, never a problem finding one. Again, people get their towels out early, but we'd wander around until we found 2. We're the kind of people who spend their entire day sunning themselves anyways.
Plenty of beach vendors, but I kind of enjoyed them. Got a beach bag, some sarongs and a henna tattoo. If we weren't interested we'd say no thank you and they'd leave us along for the next 10 minutes or so. There's a great little hut-like thing down the beach that also sells stuff. We bought some blankets and handmade necklaces from a really nice lady. Note - if you are buying those really nice Mexican blankets, keep in mind they add a fair deal of weight to your suitcase. We bought 4 between the two of us and were 10 kilos over the weight limit. Might have been the tequila as well though.

Food: This is the only reason I didn't give this resort 5 stars. We tried each of the specality restaurants. None were fabulous, except for the flaming coffee at the french restaurant.Portions were small which was fine for me. Buffet was alright too, we had our favourite things there that we kept getting (hash browns, omlettes & smoothies for breakfast, chicken & rice for dinner). Lots of fresh fruit out all the time. The snack bar was good too, excellent pizza. I gave up on dessert though after the 4th day cause I hadn't had anything good enough to justify the extra calories. We're not picky eaters so we were fine with the food, but if you're expecting gourmet meals, you're not going to get it.

Staff: Wonderful! Everyone was really friendly and helpful. The bellhop (I can't think of a better word to describe them) were great with bringing our suitcases and showing us to both rooms. If you needed a cab, they would get one for you and explain to the driver in Spanish where you're going. All the bartenders were nice and would make you whatever you wanted (or make something interesting if you said "suprise me"). My BF asked for Bailey's and milk, expecting generic irish cream. But they fished out the real thing and filled his entire cup up than added an inch of milk. The animation staff are great as well. You get to know them over the course of the week and they'd stop by to chat and encourage you to join in stuff.

Entertainment: We went to two of the shows at the factory club. First one was movie-themed and was fun. The other one was Mexican fiest and we weren't that into it. We're not really into clubbing, but there was always the opportunity to meet up with the animation staff and others to go downtown to a club. It was usually pretty cheap ($6-12) and included transportation into town, cover and a drink or two.

Spa: Didn't use it, but we got massages in front of the Holiday Inn down the beach. $70 for an hour for both of us (fabulous deal) and it was under a little canopy right beside the water.

Others: If you're in Puerto Vallarta, please, please leave the resort a bit and go see some of the stuff their beautiful city offers. We walked downtown one day (40 minutes, had to go through a river) and strolled the Malecon on Sunday evening (a must!). I went parasailing down the beach (Jojo's Parachutes $40), we went swimming with dolphins (Vallarta Adventures), on a canopy tour (Canopy de los Varanos). There's tons of stuff to see and do and I saw people who stayed on the beach/pool every single day working on their tans and drinking themselves into a stupor. The people in Vallarta are friendly and the city feels really safe. And cabs are cheap! Go exploring.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2006

Me, my wife and our 2 ½ yr old son stayed here February 27-March 3rd. I think we are pretty well traveled including exotic places like Istanbul, Morocco and India. When I read the mixed reviews about this place, I had some doubts. However, we really wanted to see this kids aqua park pool that my 2 year old would enjoy. I had read about the bad food and the old building with the mold smell. We thought we give it a try since other reviewers had a good experience. Well, I don’t know which hotel these others guys stayed at, but the Crown Paradise Club hotel in PV was horrible. This place is at best a 2 star.
Some plus points first. The staff was friendly and nice. But I thought everyone we talked to and came across in PV were nice. They are generally good kind people. Second, the kid pool is fun. However, be careful, you have to be at least 4yrs old to go on all but one slide and no adults allowed on the slides (so you can’t go down with your child on them to compensate for age).

The cons -1) the Food was VERY BAD. I have eaten food around the world (some pretty bad places), and after reading the other reviews our expectations were low. However, we were still shocked. The buffet was the worst of all. The snack bar had burgers, pizza and dogs. These were not good either (how can you mess up on burgers). Of note however, the only good meal was the breakfast in the Kon Tikki (the buffet). It is the only meal worth eating there. I think we ate out in town 3 times.
2) One of the sheets on our kid’s bed (some rooms are family rooms where they give you a bunk bed in the corner) smelled like urine. Enough said.
3) The size of the other pools are a little bit larger than someone’s back yard pool. I expected something nicer in a 3 star.
4) You have to wake up early on your vacation if you want to snag and reserve a chair on the beach – there were not enough to go around.

All in all, if you have ANY doubts about this place, than stay away. You can get a much nicer all inclusive resort for the same price than this place. In my opinion, this place is at best a 2 star. I have never written a review before, however I felt compelled to write this one. Maybe my attempt like others before me, may save a family’s vacation.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!