“This place is OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Redwood City, California
“This place is OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

This place is a perfectly average resort. We stayed with a large group and were in one of the smaller rooms on the first floor, while the rest of my family was in the penthouse. The hotel is old (or appears to be old anyway). The penthouse was large, but nothing fancy. In fact, the toilet broke and was shooting water everywhere at one point, and the balcony door blew off in the middle of the night. Our room downstairs was more updated, but very small. The beds were not very comfortable. The front desk people are average - not super friendly or helpful. In fact, I paid for a week of wifi and specifically asked what the limitations were and was told none. But you can only have two devices connected at a time (we had 5), and of course connectivity was iffy. When I went to the front desk to talk to them about not being able to connect, he was very unfriendly and basically blew me off.

The food is OK, and the saving grace was the all-inclusive, because we had two 16 year old boys with us who would have used our life's savings on food if we didn't have that, as they would order room service as a snack before dinner.

We stayed for New Years, and that was an amazing event - really well done. The food that night was amazing. All you can eat shrimp, crab, etc. And the servers are especially friendly and wonderful. They practiced their English with me, and allowed me to practice my Spanish with them, without making me feel like an idiot. Talking to them was the highlight of the experience.

Solid three stars. Great for kids, but if I was traveling alone with my husband, I would stay at a more upscale place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Hola SC623,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on TripAdvisor.

It is wonderful to hear that you had such an amazing New Year’s Eve, and that our staff and their friendliness and service were the highlight of your experience.

We’re glad you found the all-inclusive concept to be a perfect choice for your family vacation.

The resort has been going through a major renovation process, so I’m a little bit confused about your mentioning that the hotel is old.

We are usually known for our attentive and friendly staff. We are truly sorry your experience with a member of our front desk staff was different, and therefore would like to apologize. I’ll make sure to share your observation with the Management.

Thank you again for your comments and the time you took to share them, it is greatly appreciated!

Saludos from Puerto Vallarta,
Katarina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I am writing this review because I think the resort is VERY underrated. You get what you pay for in most cases, but you get more here. We had our hesitation after reading reviews but with two very ative kids, the more the children are entertained the more the parents can sip tequilas and pinaples. So if you have highly energetic kids and are taking a family vacation with them, then this is a good review for you.
Rooms: renovated rooms are nice, they look like a boutique hotel or trendy 3 star in Canada or US. We had a balcony which over-looked the water park. Don't expect a room that is ocean front, these rooms looked like residential suites. But it is fairly painless to get from your room to the resort, restaurants, and beach. TV had lots of channels which included a few english stations. Bathroom is open-concept with separate glass doors to the toilet and shower. This was very convenient since we put our 1 year old's crib to sleep in the washroom where is was quiet and dark from the rest of us (he goes to sleep at 6:30pm). Only problem was he was close to the door so there was noise in the hallway at times or from us going in and out. But the room was very clean.
The zip-line was under construction, yes that's right they have a zip-lin on the resort, the main pool is not heated and I found it pretty cool, even colder than the ocean. We stuck to the water park and the warmer pool, which has a bar. The kids loved this pool and so did we and the bar too! Did we mention they mix wicked drinks for the kids? Don't hesitate to ask for a drunk papa smurf for yourself. They are very sweet, sometimes I had to ask to go easy on the blue liquid sugar. Beach is very clean and you will notice the merchants all part of the package. You just have to say your not interested or cover your face with your hat they aren't too bothersome. And if you lost your sunglasses, wait 5 minutes you'll be able to pickup a good pair. The beachside bas is truly a beachside bar with a wicked view. We weren't served a lot but i don't mind getting up to get another drink. There are widnsales and belly boards push-cars and scooters for the kids. Our 1 yo didn't like the ocean too much but loved the push-car so we put him in the pushcar and pushed him as we walked along the beach.
Food was great. We've been to all inclusives before and yuo can get sick of the food pretty quick. They cook more traditional dishes and they cook them well with variety of mexican dishes. We only ate at the buffet restaurant (they have three a la cart restaurants) and did not get sick of it at all. I didn't even bother with the pasta station, or grill. The mexican food they cook and supply at the buffet is good. Our only complaint was there is no food between 11am-12pm and 5pm-6pm. Our kids stick with schedules so when they were hungry at 11:30 for lunch and there was no lunch before nap, we had to change our plans a little. We ate breakfast at 7-8am and returned to the breakfast buffet around 10;45am and loaded-up a plate for Lunch wich we ate in our rooms before both kids went down for naps at noon. When everyone was up we went to our lunch at 2:30/ kids snack at the buffet. The beachside snack bar isn't much but better than some self-serve snack bars I've seen. This is where you will refill your water bottle, eat deep-fried veggies and nachos and cheese while enjoying the sounds of the waves. We weould get the kids cleaned-up before heading back to the 6pm buffet where we would have supper before I would cut-shourt mine to put the little guy to sleep. But my wife would always bring me back desert ;). The buffet is oceanfront and we always picked the outside tables essentially having a seaside meal. I loved this very much. Water is important and they do only give you one bottle of water, but they welcome you to re-fill it. An aditional 1.5L is another 15 pesos... that's a $1.50! It aint worth getting pissed off over. We went to the grocery market 1 minute a way and it cost the same. And stop at the taco stand on your way they are awesome!
Puerto Vallarta is a nice and friendly city, we took the bus with the kids and two strollers and managed. People help you alot there. Side note the Canadian consulate is 7 minute walk away, and if you bank with Scotiabank you can withdraw cash at one of the best rates in town without a service charge as long as you use teh ATM
If you don't have kids, this is a good less expemsive place to stay at and quiet. The Jacuzzi area doesn't allow kids so it's a quiet oasis away from the noise with excellent service at the poolside bar. Which brings-up another point. The staff here is truly amazing. We never got any attitude, and they were very helpful pulling-up a high chair, helping with your food or kids.
I wish the kids club rules could be bent a little. Our 3.5 yo was too little for the kids clup, we put him in the baby club but he was bored since he was the only one there. The kids clup had more kids and what sparked his interest was coloring, I which they would have let him in. But they did include him in soccer games etc.. Our 1.5 yo was just shy so he couldn't go, but they did offer to let him sleep there during nap time. Family time is 12-2 so you can play with them too.
They had lots of activities, if you are an open minded person. If you find every little detail, if hammering and saws will drive you crazy, then wait until the construction's over. Personally I find construction very soothing; i love waking up to a lawn mower.
I highly recommend the staff and the crown paradise club as a vacation spot for anyone. It's very safe and a warm place to stay. We are planning to go back in a few more years since the kids get really good use of the waterpark and mom and dad can make good use out of the kids club.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, closer to the ocean and away from construction if taking a siesta in your...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Hola OceanIdiot,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a great feedback on your stay!

We couldn't be happier to know that we lived up to your expectations and we never get tired of hearing our guest compliment the hotel and the staff. When guest like you show gratitude for the services we offer, this encourages the staff at the Crown Paradise Club to continually aim to please.

Your review was very delightful to read and we appreciate your high recommendations! The entire team joins me to thank you and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon.

Greetings from Puerto Vallarta,
North Battleford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We traveled her Feb 2013. I was please with the size of resort. Everything was centralized and right on the water. It was amazing to sit and watch the sunset every night and in the morning looking out in the ocean. At the time we went it was a timeshare hotel so we were told to avoid the lobby due to being harassed by the timeshare peddlers. It was annoying but after a few days you learn to be assertive or avoid eye contact. The food was great and lots of options for kids. The kids pool was amazing and the people we travelled with who had kids had a great time there. The beds were hard as rocks so I recommend you take a short walk to walmart and by a foam. The Pirate Ship was a great experience. We went on the night that catered to Saskatchewan lovers. A trip into town was magical. The performers and the shopping could not be beat. I will go back to PV again and again. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Ocean or garden view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Hola E W,

Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your visit to Crown Paradise Club.
We are thrilled to know that you had the opportunity to enjoy the amazing sunset views, so famously known as a signature of Puerto Vallarta!
I’m happy to inform you that we went through a major renovation, and would love to invite you to see our improvements reached over the past year.

Once again thank you so much for your nice comments and for sharing these with travelers around the world. Please come back soon we´ll be happy to create another memorable vacation experience for you!

All the best,
Farmington, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

My husband and I traveled mid-January 2014 with our two daughters, 4 and 7, and another family with kids aged 5 and 7. We all had an absolute blast! The weather was incredible (mid-80s and sunny during the day and mid-sixties overnight), and they say it's almost always like that. They are right on a nice sandy beach - the ocean is powerful there, so not ideal for snorkeling, but fun for building sand castles, boogie boarding, riding the waves, etc. The waterpark is perfect for kids our age - it entertained them for hours day after day. The service was incredible - everybody who worked there was friendly, accommodating, and eager to please. The infinity pool overlooking the ocean is gorgeous, and we enjoyed the new adult pool and jacuzzi with swim-up bar. There was something for everybody - a great mix for family and adult fun! We had a fourth floor renovated room with a balcony overlooking the waterpark - great view and definitely recommend. The French restaurant was excellent - great ambience and delicious food. The buffet was pretty good - a lot of Mexican food, as well as American. Our daughter has celiac disease and can't eat gluten - we had a bit of trouble explaining that and finding things for her to eat, but she didn't go hungry! The kids' drink menu is cute, fun, and delicious - for example, the "Papa Smurf" is basically a blue virgin pina colada with colorful marshmallows. What kid wouldn't love that?! When we went, the resort wasn't very busy, so the activities weren't well-attended, which was kind of a bummer, but we enjoyed the daily water aerobics and even got out wind surfing one day. The shows were fun, too. Club Nitro is a little run down, but again, the service was wonderful and we enjoyed the ones we went to. Definitely recommend!

Hola Erin L,

Thank yo for sharing your lovely experience with other travelers on TripAdvisor. We’re truly happy to know that you had such an enjoyable stay with your family.
Thank you for saying it so kind and simple “a great mix for family and adult fun”, as this is our main goal, to please all our valued guests with great variety of activities and services for all ages.

We would love nothing more than to have the pleasure of welcoming your family again at Crown Paradise Club, make sure to let us know about your return, we can’t wait to see you again!

My best wishes,
Rouses
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

I've been to the Crown for many years and will keep going back. Things have changed over the years and it's always getting better. I've always found the staff to be great. I'm going back in Feb and hoping to get one of the rooms I like the best! 464 and up is great (or 364)
You would have to be dead to not enjoy it here!

If you want a relaxing vacation, go to the Crown.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear Peter F,

Thank you for your loyalty and continued visits to Crown Paradise Club.
We appreciate your kind comments about the staff and for recognizing our improvements.

I’d like to invite you to contact us directly regarding your room request, although special requests are not guaranteed, and are subject to availability, rest assured that we’ll do our best to accommodate you as preferred.

Enjoy your stay at CPC and have a wonderful vacation!

See you soon,
Woodstock, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Our family of 5, 2 adults and 3 kids 7,5,3 stayed from 01/16/14-/01/23/14. We had an amazing time at this resort. I'm not sure why there were so many bad reviews. Yes there is construction but it only means that the resort is being taken care of. We hardly even noticed the noise and the staff made sure to keep everything safe and clean where work was being done.

There are 2 pools for kids and one for adults only which includes a hot tub. We spent all of our time at the splash pad as the kids didn't want to leave. All of the equipment was in good shape and staff were good about monitoring for safety however, there was no lifeguard on duty at all times.

The activation staff was good, always trying to get everyone involved in activities especially the kids. The kids clubs are great, not only does it give mom and dad a few minutes to enjoy the resort alone our kids asked every day if they could go back! The baby club is open from 6pm-9:30 so if we wanted a dinner without the kids could go there at that time.

The a-la-carts were a good break from the buffet. I would suggest getting early times as we found the later times the found/service was not quiet as good, but they were always trying and everything we asked for we received. We enjoyed everyone of the a-al-carts! Try them all. make sure to book early for the french because kids cannot go after 6:30 and you will need the baby club to watch them. (ask for a Spanish coffee its quiet a show) The buffet was good but we found that the food did repeat itself and was sometimes cool. But we have picky kids and they were never hungry. The buffet is not yet renovated so it appears a little dim but always clean. The beach snack bar opened for lunch and had, hot dogs, ff, hamburgers, salads, nachos and ice cream every day and we ate there for most of our lunches. Also there is a snack bar by the sports bar and opens at 4. (Must try the burritos, one of the best things we ate.) Room service is available 24hrs and is included, we had it for breakfast one day but it was cool by the time we got it. There are 5 bars and we rarely had to wait for drinks. We found the beach bar to ,make the best drinks for kids and adults. Our kids loved the children's drink menu!! A great added touch. Also staff would come to sitting areas and take drink orders.

We needed a family room as we are a family of five. We were told that all of the family rooms face the road, but that was ok with us. If you look past the road you get to see the sun come up over the mountains every morning ... beautiful. The room was renovated, fridge, flat screen TV in both adult room and kids room, VERY CLEAN!! We stayed in room 409 and 408 these are on the top floor and very quiet.

The beach was clean and taken care of. We only were able to go in once as it was very wavy when we were there.

We had no issues with communication as most of the staff spoke good English.

It is very close to shopping, Walmart ect so if you forget anything it is easy to get.

We would recommend resort to anyone with children, if you are looking for a couples retreat this is not the place for you.

Over all we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Top floor is quiet, family rooms great but face the road.
Dear Jamie F,

We truly appreciate your recent visit, as we know how important it is to choose the perfect place for your family vacation.
Many thanks for sharing your experience with future travelers, I enjoyed reading your feedback and I'm happy you had a wonderful vacation at Crown Paradise Club.

Family rooms for 5, kids club, activities for children, many food choices and superior service are just a little what we offer at the Hotel. It would be our pleasure to welcome you once more, I hope you will return again soon and have another amazing stay.

Saludos from Paradise,
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Just back from vacation here (January 4 - 12,2014)
I have to say that is a nice hotel, clean and not to big you can walk all around just in few minutes, from lobby to pool until reach the beach.
Rooms: my room was just renovated so looks good, just need a little of final touch like waxing floor from the renovations, you can see that the room was probably finish the previous week. But other than that it was clean and beautiful view (over pool and beach) . Missing items they offer a coffee maker and mini bar, the coffee maker we asked in the lobby and they delivery right away, but took 3 days to get the coffee, not big deal you can always call room services for your coffee. Mini bar, I couldn't find it and I didn't ask.
Food: definitely good, you have a good selection of American/Canadian items and Mexican variety. So you always will find something.
Especial restaurants: I tried it all italian good, Chineses great, French not that good.
Drinks: they advertise as Premium this is just in the adult area (golden Crown) this affect me because I am a scotch drinker so I know the importance of a good one, but is you are into beer or cocktails you will be fine, they make a really good ones.

Now let's talk about what I didn't like: before I booked my trip I called them to make sure all renovations were done as I read a lot of complains about it, and they told me YES, I even asked if the adult pool was open, because i don't have kids and my partner and I want to relaxed in this area not around bunch of kids (no offense to anyone), and again they said YES.
When we arrived because we were two adults right away the person in the counter ask us why we choose this area and not the adult one I told him it wasn't available for the days we want, and because they have an adult pool we will be ok, right away I noticed something was wrong he offer to find out if he can switch us, but not luck, he promises to tried again next day, because the hotel was totally booked, so next day same answer, I we find out the adult pool was closed, they still have two more pools one with heater and a lot of kids, and the bigger one, that was so cool that not even kids where playing there. So we asked many people what we can do, and they told us to go a told to the manager in Golden that he will help, well we did and we find out that everything is possible in Vallarta as long as you paid, he told us he had plenty rooms , and can make our change right away, for and amount per day per person, we already have tours books for 3 days didn't make sense to pay for days that we weren't going to used but after those day we did pay the different and got bracelets for the golden we didn't want to change rooms at that point.

Other thing that I want you to consider when you decided to go; I went in low season and I was always able to find chair in the pool or beach, also restaurant reservation, but let me explain they have about 200 rooms, that means at least 400 people in high season if they have around 50 chairs in the pools area and around 60 in the beach, that means you going to have to fight over chairs and most of the people go early and booked them with the towels even when they don't used it for almost all day I saw towels standing there all day with out been used, some people like to abuse, in particular I think all hotels shouldn't allow people to do this is you are not used it, can't reserved.
I hope this help you.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Katarina P, Community Manager at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear laveva,

First of all, we’d like to thank you for your visit and for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns.

We’re glad you liked the facilities and food selection, and have the overall good impression of the hotel. On the other hand, we would like to apologize for not fulfilling your expectations in regards to the adult pool area, and for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

We do have signs about reserving the pool lounge chairs: reserving chairs is against our policies. We ask that our hotel guests be respectful of each other when it comes to reserving beach chairs and we are pursuing solutions to this issue.

We hope that this was just one of many visits to our resort, if you need any assistance in the future regarding your pre-arrival arrangements, please don’t hesitate to contact us directly.

Warm regards,
Katarina

Been to Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!