“Mexican sunshine and happy children.” 4 of 5 stars

Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av de las Garzas 1, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Ranked #75 of 120 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Ottawa, Canada
“Mexican sunshine and happy children.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a basic hotel, nothing fancy, just the essentials - clean rooms (dated, but who stays in their room on vacation?), good coffee, good breakfasts, sunshine, heat, and very happy children. Easy to get off the resort to see other sites in Puerto Vallarta, safe, and did I mention the sunshine and happy children? We walked the beach every day, went to the market next to us, got off the resort a couple of times, enjoyed just hanging out in the sunshine.
The price is good, PV is lovely, safe hotel, just an all around good place to stay. 3 families went down - 7 children in the group. The children went from pool to pool, shuffleboard to beach, pool bar to beach bar to enjoy the sweet drinks with marshmallows on top. They enjoyed the beach grill, the buffet and all thought the French restaurant was fantastic! I personally didn't have high expectations - I just was happy to be going to sunshine in PV. I was very pleased with the resort. Very fun trip.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the quiet 'cold' pool in the courtyard and the balcony overlooked the ki...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

761 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is in my opinion, a 3 to 3 and half star hotel.

We stayed at this hotel from Feb 25 to Mar 4, 2013 and had a great time and met some amazing people. We researched this hotel before hand, so we knew it wasn't a five star hotel, so there were no surprises. The food at this hotel was decent, I never went to bed hungry. Compared to Cuba it was good.

Our room was dated but functional. The only negative for me were the beds, mine was really hard. I had a hard time sleeping past 4 or 5 in the morning. Other than that, the room was really clean and worked well for my family.

The pools were really fun and we had no issues but ended up using the main pool more than the kids pirate pool. We would spend hours swimming and socializing with people from all over Canada and the US. The resort has an amazing server named Ofelia who took care of all our drinking needs. We didn't even have to ask for more drinks, she would just keep bringing them. I did tip her well everyday and I am sure this helped but I believe in tipping for good service.

We did all of the restaurants except the French and thought they were ok. We liked the Italian the best and enjoyed the caesar salad a lot. The buffet was decent and always had something to eat and it was always hot. The coffee was hit and miss most days and the OJ was great.

The shows were fun but really confusing how the put them together but all in all a good time to hang out with family and friends that we met. The animation staff was really good and always organized certain games throughout the day. I believe it is important to get involved and the vacation will be much better.

We always took a daily walk down the beach and really enjoyed checking out other hotels and condo's along the way. We also walked down the beach to Starbucks to catch up on emails and a nice cup of coffee. They have free wifi and it is only a ten minute walk from the hotel by the beach or road. We also bought a lot of pool toys and alcohol from Soriano's and the kids loved the donuts from the bakery inside.

We went downtown 3 times during our trip, twice by the bus, and we really fell in love with Puerto Vallarta. We ate at Pipi's twice during our stay and must say that it was great food and so much fun. We also got pulled into a mime show on the Malecon which was funny and quite the experience. We never felt unsafe during our trip to Puerto Vallarta and the locals were always accommodating and helpful to use.

We also didn't have any issue with the time share sharks at the airport, we just said no thanks and kept on moving.

In the end, the Crown Paradise is a great hotel if you know what you are getting. It is a budget friendly family type resort that in my opinion was reasonably priced. It is super clean, fun but not fancy. The lobby is lacking but instead of focusing on the negative we chose to enjoy the resort for what it is, not we it could be. We were in Mexico and had an amazing time and enjoyed the vacation. We met great people and we go back to Puerto Vallarta in a heart beat but we would try a different resort. Not because of any huge faults, just to experience something different.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Room Tip: We faced the kids pool, room 431 and 432. Beds were hard but you could see the ocean
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

After extensively reviewing this resort I booked my family of 4 in for 10 days. Many reviews warned of the poor food but we thought maybe these were just "picky eaters". We were wrong and the previous reviewers were correct. It's not a matter of being picky and not liking what they served, it was that their food and their food handling is of very poor quality. We phoned our travel company and asked to be moved to another resort after our 4yr old and 6 yr old both ended up in the San Javier Marina hospital with a diagnosis of an "intestinal virus" most likely caused by food poisoning (Dr's words, not mine. However I agree whole heartedly). My 4 yr old couldn't even keep down water she was so sick.

When I booked I didn't expect 5 star or even 4 star food at this resort. I did however expect to be able to serve food to my kids that was edible. We were continuously served raw hamburgers at the snack bar and when I asked the staff to cook them longer they either didn't understand what I was saying (somewhat understandable) or they didn't care. At one point I put the patties back on the grill myself and the staff just picked them up right away and gave them to the next person in line. Disgusting!

Even worse is how the plastic cups at the bars are cleaned...by being rinsed in tap water and then dunked in tub of some sort of water/cleaning solution. No soap, no scrubbing, no hot water. Their standards of cleanliness are as poor as their food handling standards.

Our room appeared to be clean but I discovered tiny little ants in our bathroom crawling along the mirror. I didn't think too much of it at first. But when I went to give my daughters their fever medicine there was a swarm of ants all along the side of the bottle and the inside of the box. What started as 2 or 3 ants had quickly turned into about 20 to 30 all over the medicine I needed to administer orally to a 4 and 6 yr old.

The A/C worked in our first floor room ran on either high or off. We were either sweltering or freezing. There was no happy medium.

The grounds of the resort are very well kept but there were a lot of stray animals roaming. We saw 2 different cats and a small dog wandered onto the property from off the beach.

There are very few good things to say about this resort. The pool was warm and the waterpark was hit with our kids but they didn't get to use them that much because they were so sick. We didn't use the kids club so I can't comment on it but it didn't look like much more than a colouring station.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Wausau, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Our family (wife and I along with three girls- 2,4,9) had a great experience at this resort. An average day went like this- morning breakfast at the buffet (homemade omelettes, plenty of local options, pancakes, french toast, fresh fruit- all very, very good- staff extremely helpful, kind, and all spoke English), play time at the waterpark (my daughters do not speak spanish yet our 4 year old found playmates that played for hours- they spoke spanish, she spoke english, yet somehow it worked) and beach (not great for swimming but awesome for wave jumping), lunch at the fast buffet (not the inside buffet but the beachfront food court- get the hamburgers- grilled fresh in front of you and delicious), play at the pool and beach (again, easy for the kids to find friends- plenty of English speaking Canadians and Americans, plus locals), then get ready for dinner. Both the Italian and Japenses restaurants were great. Evening ended with the kids playing in the sand while we sipped cocktails. At nine a family friedly show takes place- either a dance, karaoke, or one night was a fantastic disney dance show. Plenty of people enjoy the shows and they do activities to get the kids involved. Our 4 and 9 year old were on the stage every night. Even dad made it one night- sadly losing a Mexican hat dance to a local (unfair!)
The bars have a great selection- no worries.
Would be five but the condition of the rooms is a bit dated, not uncomfortable but some minor maintenance issues.
Taxi to the malecon is inexpensive- a must do. Family loved it. Great trip and highly recommend it to those with kids.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My 4 year old son uttered the words "this isn't paradise!" and he was correct.
Our room was flooded by a burst pipe- 3 inches deep and a manager offered us a "street view" room. My husband said NO and she said she couldn't get us a room til 3pm that day. A BELLMAN offered us a beach view room right away!
One of the maids THREW OUT my son's favourite toy. Yes- it did look like a pile of strings (it was once a knitted cat) but it was on top of another stuffed animal. No one would look for it and no one cared. This is supposed to be a family oriented resort?
I had to force the kids centre to take my son in the older kids area. He was a few weeks away from being 5, the age which they can go there. I could have lied and told them he was already 5 but I was honest. He didn't want to play with babies! No reall activities were planned for them either.

Room Tip: Don't go there! No quiet rooms.
Fort McMurray, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The first day of our trip was not to bad but the second day started it all!! I ended up getting so sick cause of our room....don't know if it was mold or what but could not breath and ended up puking most of the night!! I am allergic to mold, so not fun! The staff did move us the next day, which was so nice of them!!
Front staff is so kind, but the night staff at the Tiki Bar was not nice at all!!! Very rude!
The food was not good at all, you would think that you would gain weight on vacation, but we lost cause the food was awful!!
Rooms were dated, but that is to be expected!
Our maid for our room was the best, very kind and always a smile on her face!! Such a sweet lady!!

If you want a happy vacation, think else were!! There was 11 of us and not all of us were happy with this resort!!
I'm sorry to say this but want to be honest!!

Room Tip: Upgrade big time!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
CROWNPARADISEPVR, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Christina K,

Thank you for taken the time and share your comments. It was with much concern that we read about the inconveniences during your stay. We want to offer you our sincere apology for the problems that you had at our facilities.
We hope you can to give us a second opportunity to show you our service.

Best regards
Mariana Malpica
Public Relations
Spruce Grove, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This all-inclusive is not a 4.5 star hotel as it is rated. Wieners were part of the buffet for every meal. And the lunch meal, was mostly deep fried food. The main buffet did not open until 1pm for a full meal at noon. The location is the best part of this hotel, it is on the beach. But then the view and peace and quiet was ruined by pedlars who were continually harassing you to buy there goods. Finally someone must have complained and the hotel management put a rope across the beach to prevent the sellers from coming to our beach chairs. I would not recommend this hotel to others, there must be better places to stay in Puerto Vallarta for the same price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Joni_60,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your experiences. Your comments are most valuable to us and allow us to take the appropriate actions to prevent this type of situations in the future.

About of the food, the main restaurant open again at 1pm, but we offer room service 24 hours and others snacks. We respect your opinion regarding this matter, and we apologize if you don’t enjoy our meals but it´s mostly a very personal point of view.

The management take seriously each comment from our guests for this reason we put a rope on the beach, you had the certainly that this observations already was passed.

Again, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We hope that you give us the opportunity to show one more time our services.

Best Regards
Mariana Malpica
Public Relations

Been to Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!