“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #75 of 120 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
California
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

After reading some of the terrible reviews, I was a bit nervous. I was traveling with my husband and 3 kids (age 5, 9, 12). We had a room overlooking the kiddy pool. It was very clean and throughout the resort they are cleaning all the time. The kids loved the kiddy pool and the kid drinks. The beach was also good for them with only little waves. I enjoyed the adult pool (like a huge hot tub). We never had any problem finding seating around the pool or on the beach. There are vendors constantly but they don't pester too bad.
The food was okay. The kids liked it. The buffet had such a wide variety that we were all able to find at least one thing we liked. I was quite fond of the chilaquiles for breakfast. We ate at the Japanese restaurant twice and the Italian once. Liked the Japanese better.
Negative- as soon as we got there, we were given a pitch to become members of the Golden Crown club - just wanted to go to our room and relax- also our room keys were easily demagnetized and had to be replaced 3 x. Also, tried to use babysitting one day and the communication was bad and we ended up taking our 5 year old with us snorkeling (which ended up being for the best anyway).
I wouldn't go back but I usually don't like to return to a place unless it is fantastic but I would recommend it as an affordable family vacation.
For books in PV (I am an avid reader), I recommend Page in the Sun.
I also had guacamole at Pipi's- great! We picked up a lot of great souvenirs and had fun walking around old town and the Malencon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

762 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Suffolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Recently spent a week at this fine all inclusive oceanfront resort. The resort employees
and very friendly and helpful. The resturant options were many and the food was fine.
The Japanese restuarant was probably our favorite but most all were very good.
Shows were sort of tacky but ok for famlies. Pool games were plentiful and nicely
supervised. If you have no kids with you but sure and stay on the adults only side.
Property nicely located only a short ride to the north to the airport (60 pesos) and
a short ride to the south for downtown (also about 60 pesos). Also adjacent to the
cruise terminal so it's nice to see the cruise ships coming and going. Downside would
be the beach vendors being a little aggressive and trying to line up a poolside bungalow
(often had to be there by 5 in the morning to reserve bungalow). Internet access was
somewhat spotty but not bad once you got on ($ 6.50 per day).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Dumb enough to come here with friends 3 years running. Prepaid for ocean veiw gave me a completely obsticted.view and a room with Unknown stains on beding. No room change possible and this how they treat returning guests. Stay away

• Stayed November 2012
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was a little nervous from reading some of the reviews, the hotel was alright not one of the nicest I have stayed at, but the room was in good shape and the AC worked really well, in fact had to turn it off at night as it was so cold. When we checked in we did not really feel welcome, it took 2 minutes, could not get into room as battery for key access was dead, they assured it would be fixed and told us we should go enjoy lunch and the beach, still at 6pm it was not fixed and then it took another 2 hours to fix and they never fixed the fan in the bathroom that squealed like a plane taking off anytime you had it on, which was also connected to the light in the shower, after 5 calls and tries at fixing it we finally just showered in the dark. The worst was that it took 10 minutes not joking to get hot water, and when I called down to ask they sent someone up and said it needs to run for 10 minutes then it will be hot, so very important to plan your shower and need for hot water. There was never any US money in the ATM at the resort the entire week we were there was very frustrating. The food on the buffet was terrible, it was the same thing every morning, lunch and dinner. This was the first resort that has not had sausage or bacon for breakfast, and what they did have labeled as breakfast sausage was really cut up hot dogs, they even put hot dogs on pizza, I swear if I see another hot dog I might throw up. The French dining was amazing, great food, great service but make sure you take a pair of pants if you are a man or they won't let you in. The other places to eat on the resort were great, in fact we ate at one of them each night as the buffet food made me sick just looking at it. The service from the bars and food places were great, the beach was wonderful, the pools were great, the view from the room was wonderful. The entertainment was good. But anytime I asked for a manager it was always they are not hear right now maybe later, this hotel just switched ownership and really needs to make some adjustments, for example they need to listen to what their customers are saying. For example there were two nights where there were 370 students visiting we got no sleep due to their loudness in the hallways, knocking on the doors, phoning rooms, destroying hallways, puking in elevators, but the front desk just looked at me and said sorry everyone is complaining, REALLY? Oh yeah order the room service it is free 24 hours a day and the massage at the spa was great I got 2 one hour massages for $50 very nice. Don't forget to tip the hard workers, it is not their fault they have terrible management

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the pools or ocean, otherwise you could be looking out at a dirty old parking lot
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Maricopa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We visited this property as a Day Use facility while our cruise ship was docked in Puerto Vallarta. When we arrived, the lobby area was crowded with people checking out, so there was a bit of a delay getting checked in.

There is a children's pool area and an "adult pool" area. There is also beach access.

I don't think I would want to stay there for more than a night or two, though. There are lots of options for lodging in the PV area, and I don't real feel that this one lived up to the rack rates that were on display in the lobby.

You could not leave your towel on a lounge chair, or a bird would land, crap on it, and then fly away. The nice thing is, the staff were very willing to exchange your soiled towel for a new one. The bad part is, most of the lounge chairs had dried bird crap all over them.

The beach is nice, but it is right next to the marina entrance, so the wake of boats entering the marina effects the surf conditions quite a bit. Also, the afternoon wind made the surf choppy and not kid-friendly.

This property is the first property south of the marina. While the area might have once been high-end, right now it's 2-3 star only.

Would I use this property for a Day Use facility again? Maybe.
Would I stay at this property for a week? Probably not.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

i would not recommend this resort to no one terrible, service, food was terrible, kids park was never open the week i was there july 8,2012 i spend $3,800 for a family of 4 it was a waste of my money the room was small dirty linen, paid for a family room open the window n curtain it was facing a dirty street alley reprt it to the front desk all they did was give me a different room that was smaller n they did not refund me no money, also they charge me extra for water knowing i had an infant wit me.
The food in all the restaurants was so nasty and terrible service, and also they did not let you in if u did not make a reservation and one i did try to they would say it was all book for the evening so i was stuck eating in the nasty buffett area with a bunch of flies all over the food, the room bed mattress was so hard that we wake up wit a sore back and my 11 month old had to sleep in our suit case they did not offer us a crib. I would not stay at those resort ever again
kids paradise was never open there excuse was they were not staff

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We returned from P.V. after spending a week at the Crown Paradise on Aug.24th.I really don't understand all the bad reviews.My family could not of been treated better at a 5 star resort and i have paid the 5 star rate.If you are looking for new and trendy don't stay here,if you are looking for a clean and family friendly place that want cost you arm and leg this is the place.
I have two boys 7&4 who loved the water park and all the fun kids drinks.The food was great and the activity group was very entertaining.My boys are still wearing their bracelets from the resort.
I would go back to stay here.Plus your not that far from town we took the bus into town to enjoy the day and had a great time.There is a flea market very close to the hotel that we walked to and found some cute t shirts and toys.I really liked the location very convenient to attractions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!