“Day Use next to the Cruise Terminal” 3 of 5 stars

Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av de las Garzas 1, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Ranked #72 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Maricopa, Arizona
“Day Use next to the Cruise Terminal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We visited this property as a Day Use facility while our cruise ship was docked in Puerto Vallarta. When we arrived, the lobby area was crowded with people checking out, so there was a bit of a delay getting checked in.

There is a children's pool area and an "adult pool" area. There is also beach access.

I don't think I would want to stay there for more than a night or two, though. There are lots of options for lodging in the PV area, and I don't real feel that this one lived up to the rack rates that were on display in the lobby.

You could not leave your towel on a lounge chair, or a bird would land, crap on it, and then fly away. The nice thing is, the staff were very willing to exchange your soiled towel for a new one. The bad part is, most of the lounge chairs had dried bird crap all over them.

The beach is nice, but it is right next to the marina entrance, so the wake of boats entering the marina effects the surf conditions quite a bit. Also, the afternoon wind made the surf choppy and not kid-friendly.

This property is the first property south of the marina. While the area might have once been high-end, right now it's 2-3 star only.

Would I use this property for a Day Use facility again? Maybe.
Would I stay at this property for a week? Probably not.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Sacramento, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

i would not recommend this resort to no one terrible, service, food was terrible, kids park was never open the week i was there july 8,2012 i spend $3,800 for a family of 4 it was a waste of my money the room was small dirty linen, paid for a family room open the window n curtain it was facing a dirty street alley reprt it to the front desk all they did was give me a different room that was smaller n they did not refund me no money, also they charge me extra for water knowing i had an infant wit me.
The food in all the restaurants was so nasty and terrible service, and also they did not let you in if u did not make a reservation and one i did try to they would say it was all book for the evening so i was stuck eating in the nasty buffett area with a bunch of flies all over the food, the room bed mattress was so hard that we wake up wit a sore back and my 11 month old had to sleep in our suit case they did not offer us a crib. I would not stay at those resort ever again
kids paradise was never open there excuse was they were not staff

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We returned from P.V. after spending a week at the Crown Paradise on Aug.24th.I really don't understand all the bad reviews.My family could not of been treated better at a 5 star resort and i have paid the 5 star rate.If you are looking for new and trendy don't stay here,if you are looking for a clean and family friendly place that want cost you arm and leg this is the place.
I have two boys 7&4 who loved the water park and all the fun kids drinks.The food was great and the activity group was very entertaining.My boys are still wearing their bracelets from the resort.
I would go back to stay here.Plus your not that far from town we took the bus into town to enjoy the day and had a great time.There is a flea market very close to the hotel that we walked to and found some cute t shirts and toys.I really liked the location very convenient to attractions.

Ithaca, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I would only recommend this hotel if have very small children to enjoy the slides. For all others, please do not waste your time and money at this hotel. Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta are SO much nicer. This is very rundown and the buffet food and front desk service is horrible. I traveled with my sons ages 8 and 10 and arrived on a Sunday afternoon to check in to my prepaid all inclusive week long vacation only to be told that our reservation had been cancelled a few days prior by a 3rd party travel agency (not the one we booked and I paid). I had confirmed it twice directly with the hotel prior to traveling and was told all was fine. We were told to go across the street to use a payphone to try to call the travel agency, but since it was a Sunday afternoon, they wouldn't answer. The front desk clerk and manager were completely unhelpful and cold. They did admit they had seen this problem recently, but offered absolutely NO assistance. I had to pay to stay there that night. NO higher up manager would come speak to me despite my pleas. Only a security guard tried to help because he felt sorry for us, but he had no power to do anything except allow us to use the phone rather than drag my kids to the street to use a public payphone. I never received my prepaid money back ($1000 usd), and was forced to go on hotwire and book another hotel to which we moved to on Monday. During my 24 hour stay, I actually thought perhaps it was a blessing that we were moving because the buffet food was horrendous, rooms were rundown, curtain very dirty, and the ocean water was polluted because the hotel borders the marina. I couldn't imagine having to stay there. I am reporting this hotel and the travel agent to Mexican Consumer Affairs and the Hotel Association of Puerto Vallarta. I doubt anything will be done, but please take note and don't take the risk. There are plenty of other much nicer hotels in Puerto Vallarta from which to choose.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GoldenCrownParadise, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking your time to share us your comments, this are very valuable for us. Because it´s always to help to improve our service.
We are very sorry this situation, unfortunately the hotel can not offer a client without guarantee of your travel agency. According to our records your reservation was canceled by the agency you originally made the reservation.
The hotel offered you a room for the first night of stay with preferential rate, because the travel agency was not available until the next day. We are sure you understand the hotel needs to have a credit card to guarantee your room until the clarification is made with the agency.
Regarding to the refund you need to contact directly to the agency where you booked your stay. Also we respect your comment about the food, and we apologize if you don´t enjoy our meals.
We would like to share with you that our hotel offers a variety of restaurants a la carte, buffet, snacks & bars. Also our focus is pamper to the kids, for this reason the Aqua Park is the heart of the hotel, add extras values the hotel has many activities for the kids, nursery, kid´s club, sport bar, etc.
Thank you for sharing your comments. Accept our sincere apologies for an inconvenience that was not in our hands. We hope you give us the opportunity to host you again, so you could experience the service and hospitality that distinguishes us.

Best regards
Mariana Malpica
prelations@crownparadise.com
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We decided on this place because of all the positive reviews and despite all the negative media Mexica was getting for being usafe, we never felt threatened or afraid at anytime. It is a great place! We were 2 adults and 2 children aged 2 and 8.

We went the last week of April and it was mostly locals who were there as it was their week off school and holy week or something. It got really busy with locals. When they left, the place was wonderful!! The pools were very clean and there were three of them... the pirate ship park, the main pool and another smaller pool in a little cloister area that was not very busy and perfect for my little one. The waterpark was too busy for my little one.

The food... was excellent! No complaints at all. I even learned how to make the best omelet ever!

The Room.. it was ok.. there were enough english channels for the kids to wacth to help them wind down at night. The room was clean.

Bottom line, we would go back to this place again if we went back to Puerto Vallerta. It was a lot of fun!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We just got back from our trip to Puerto Vallarta and had an amazing time. We have 2 kids - 2 and 6 yrs old and the amenities and set up for kids (and adults) was great. They loved the Disney themed Water Park with Pirate Ship, slides, Disney music, etc, also the kids only dinner (only the 6 year old did this one) where they were served by Prince's, Princesses and Disney Characters. We also swam together in the other pools and had a great time. The restaurants were very good, especially the French and Italian -we primarily did the a la carte restaurants for dinner (make reservations) - also included in the all inclusive, although when we did the buffet, it was good and plentiful in terms of selection - with a wonderful ocean view - they also have room service that we used a few times for fresh fruit and grilled chicken sandwich type food - also very good (and of course included). If hungry between meals and not doing room service they have a place with great burritos, made to order (also salads, etc).
My daughter loved all the specialty kids drinks with fun names and optional marshmallows on top. The beach in front was very swimmable and we all went in on multiple occasions. They have a kids club and "Baby Paradise" for younger kids (I think up to 4 years old is Baby Paradise)... awesome, love to hang with the kids but Mom and Dad like to have adult time on vacation and this totally allowed that, the kids loved to go, the helpers in the club were great, and it allowed us to have date nights at the resort restaurants and beach bar while the kids had fun. Also, my 2 year old napped in "Baby Paradise" in the afternoons so myself or my wife were not secluded to our room for 2-3 hours each afternoon for my little guys nap.
The hotel is right on the beach with tons of palapas and chaise lounges readily available (included in the all inclusive), not like some places where you need to get up early to reserve a good spot. Drinks were good and available at multiple spots with usually no wait at all.
Our room, granted we got the large (very large - 2 BR, 2 bath, living room, large entry room, full kitchen with bar and barstools, dining area and 2 decks -one large enough for table, 4 chairs and 2 chaise lounges) had the most insane ocean view (and I've stayed at multiple very nice high end resorts with countless ocean front rooms), the view was not just of the ocean but in the distance you could also see the lights of PV.
There is a turtle egg protection area and one morning we looked down and saw a worker there, we ran down and all got to hold a baby turtle, so cool. It was to be released into the ocean that night I believe. The room was well kept by the maids and the restrooms near the pool always very clean. The staff was all very pleasant, helpful and attentive.
I also recommend a great walk on the boardwalk and a day trip to Las Caletas beach.
We were all sad when it was time to leave but will return to this hotel on my next trip to PV - and I love PV!

Room Tip: I would avoid getting a room right next to the kids pool - realistically the only noise is during th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GoldenCrownParadise, Director General at Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Sir

On behalf the staff and myself, we appreciate your valuable comments, our main goal is to exceed our clients´satisfaction. All our client´s comments are important for us, I have yours and we will keep working to improve our service.

Thank you for your preference and hope to host you and your lovely family again in a near future in paradise!!

Greetings,
The Management
Fairbanks, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have to be honest, I was a little nervous leading up to our trip to Puerto Vallarta, mostly due to the abundance of negative reviews for this resort. The resort had originally be suggested by a travel agent, and we ended up booking seperately. Only after the fact, I found Trip Advisor. This is probably a good thing because I would have missed out on a great place that was perfect for our family.

Here are my thoughts on specific aspects of our stay:

Check in: Hectic, hot and the line was a little long and slow moving. This was as bad as it got though, and before long we were over this little inconvenience and off to enjoy our stay. Our guy spoke very little english, but it all worked out fine and he was very nice. Immediately after check in we were whisked away to be briefed on all of the hotel ammenities, which I appreciated. He had a lot of tips for us to make our stay more enjoyable.

Room: Standard. It's nothing fancy-schmancy, but we didn't spend a lot of time in our room, so it was more than adequate. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were just fine. Coming from me, that's something as I'm pretty picky about pillows and bed comfort. We didn't experience the rock-hard beds and pancake pillows others have described so I have to wonder if those have all been recently replaced? Anyways, we did not see a single bug, flying thing, reptile or other such critters in our room the entire 9 days. Maid service came every day and did a really good job keeping things neat and tidy. Which is no small feat considering the amount of sand we tracked in every day. :S

There is air conditioning in the room, but don't expect to put it on blast. When running full bore it made the room nice and cooly comfortable. It was cool enough that when we walked in we'd all say "Ahhhhhhh!" in unison and be able to sleep soundly. It won't be cold, just perfect, actually.

Food: This is the part I'm most baffled about when it comes to the negative reviews. It was great! I read many complaints about the buffet food, but were pleasantly surprised when we actually dined there. Now, it's not the hometown buffet food you're used to, and it's also not the same food they're serving at Taco Bell or Chilis. If this is what you're expecting, please stay home! The buffet had a huge variety of foods, some looked familiar, and other dishes we had never seen before. It was a great opportunity to try new foods. Some we loved, some we liked, and some we didn't like at all. To me, that was one of the most fun aspects of the trip... going outside of your comfort zone and trying new things! They always had something great being made fresh to order on the grill.

The ala carte restaurants were pretty good too, but I'm not much of a food snob, so for me it was about ambiance than anything. The French restaurant does a really neat after-dinner coffee thing for the adults made with Kahlua and Brandy. Make sure you ask for it, the kiddos will love the show too. :)

Pools: Loved the pools. My daughter spent a lot of time at the pirate pool and made quite a few friends there. There seemed to always be a resort employee in the pool keeping an eye on things and ran a really tight ship. (pun intended) They really kept an eye out for everyone's safety. Although the pool would get a little sandy on the bottom by the end of the day (it's close to the beach, no wonder) it wasn't filthy as someone else suggested. Every single morning an employee was there cleaning it and seemed just fine to us.

Keep in mind that this resort caters to families. The pool areas, and really any of the public areas will be noisy, busy and bustling. We didn't mind this at all, since we were travelling with a young one ourselves. If you're looking for peace and quiet, this resort might not be a good fit. If you're looking to allow your kids to let loose and be kids, this is the PERFECT place!

Beach: The beach was your run of the mill golden sand beach. If you're looking for white sand beaches, you're barking up the wrong side of the country. The sand is a bit courser than you might expect, but very much swimmable.

Again, the beach area will be loud and crawling with kids, which is great for families. It was a great place for our daughter to meet other kiddos and have as much fun as she wanted.

They have a bunch of reclining chairs under palm umbrellas and tables for your drinks. There is also a bar there, which we found convenient. There are A LOT of vendors at this beach, which we didn't have a problem with at all. Some were pushier than others, but a simple "no gracias" is sufficient. We actually enjoyed shopping from the comfort of our beach chairs, with our Pina Coladas in hand. Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with them. They are normal people just trying to earn a living. Again, go outside your comfort zone and experience something new. This is a part of their culture, go with the flow and you'll be suprised what you'll learn. We met some really wonderful people when talking and buying stuff from the vendors. Little shout out to Esther the massuese (she will give you a massage for about $15 that will make your bones melt, seriously) and Gloria the wood sculpture lady. Sweet sweet ladies. :)

Employees: We have nothing but glowing reviews for the employees of CPC. So many wonderful people, and so helpful. We lost a backpack in a taxi, and assumed that it was a done deal that we would never see it again. My husband mentioned that we had lost it to one of the bell hops, and they literally worked day and night to get it back for us. I couldn't believe the amount of effort they went to, but they seemed happy to do it for us. We really felt like most, if not all of the employees were working very hard to make sure that we were comfortable and had a great stay.

Kid's Club: Our daughter elected to not go to the Kid's Club, so I can't comment specifically. I did, however, observe the groups around the resort, and they seemed to be having a lot of fun. The staff appeared very energetic and happy. The kiddos in the groups all looked to be engaged and having a fun time.

Location: Very convenient. There is a Walmart literally within walking distance, which came in handy when we lost the aforementioned backpack for a few days. It is also next door to the marina, which is where a lot of excursions leave from. The Malecon is a short and pretty inexpensive taxi ride away. The bell staff was always very quick in getting us taxis when we needed them. There is also a really neat little flea market right before you get to the marina from the resort. We spent many an hour there shopping and chatting with the shop/stall owners. We got a few really good bargains there. Found a few things much cheaper than we could talk people down to on the Malecon.

BOTTOM LINE: If you have kids, this is a great place to stay. Keep your mind open to new experiences and you're bound to have some fun stories to share when you get home. Puerto Vallarta is a wonderful, charming and friendly city, and we found the CPC to be an extension of that exuberance that we love. I will be suggesting this resort to any of my friends who may be traveling to PV with their families!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Crown Paradise Club Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!