“Was pleasantly surprised” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa

You added Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd. Francisco Medina Asencio Km 2.5 | Zona Hotelera Norte, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Ranked #38 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Ontario, Canada
“Was pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

From Toronto Canada: Just returned March 24, 2007 after spending one week at the Villa del Palmar. My family and I were pleasantly surprised how nice this hotel was. The grounds are beautifully kept, as well as inside the hotel. The rooms were big and clean (the bathroom was abit outdated but still it was clean). The staff were friendly and helpful. We checked in on the Saturday which according to other reviews is a nightmare time to check in. We had no problems, never saw or were approached by timeshare people the whole week. And we did express check out the day before we left (after 4 p.m.). The hotel had theme nights but we did not get the inclusive as there are so many good restaurants downtown P.V. (which cost $4 U.S. by taxi and only a 10 minute drive). Their beach area is small but you can walk for miles along the entire beach. My sister's step-daughter is getting married in P.V. next Feb. so we were able to check out some rooms at the less expensive hotel next door Villa del Mar and we were impressed by the rooms we saw. I usually swam at the quieter pool at del Mar but there are 2 other big pools at the del Palmar and in total 3 hot tubs. The weather was perfect, the people friendly and I would definitely go back there again next year.

• Liked — Being located on the beach and not far from downtown
  • Disliked — Sometimes a bit of a wait when ordering food around the poolside
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
Lasalle, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

Just returned on March 17th after a 10 day stay at this fine resort! I was a little worried after some of the reviews but after the 2nd day - my husband wanted to book for next year. Upon arriving our room was not ready and yes we had to have a chit chat with Fabriscio. Very nice young man - just trying to make a living, but I was honest-we do not want a timeshare, cannot afford a time share and just wasn't interested. He was disapointed and tried to convince us otherwise but I stuck to my guns. Anyway I asked for a ocean view room but we had only booked a small studio so that wasn't possible so I asked for a poolside room. We were on the ground floor which I was a little leery of at first and had the beautiful trees and shrubery not been in the way we would have been able to see the pool. I had no reason to be leery as there was no problems what so ever. The first night we discovered the air did not work, the fridge was not working and there was no hot water, (or so we thought). The next morning I went to the front desk and in five minutes-someone fixed the air-conditioner; brought us a new fridge and showed my husband that he was turning the taps in the wrong direction! Could not have asked for better service. We ate at the resort a few times and found it to be a bit pricey and just so-so. Nothing was bad - just not great either. My daughter loved the pool volleyball - thank-you Leo! The waiters were great - hi Julio, Jesus and Carlo! Adrian who booked the Pirate ship was fabulous (even tried to find me Cdn. cigarettes) Suehayle was so pleasant and helpful with finding directions to restaurants we we were looking for and Simona from housekeeping was fabulous. We did the Mexican night and the Beach Party and both were a good time. (I was the one who fell in the sand). Do I have any complaints - none what so ever! Would I go back - in a heart beat! Would I recomend this resort - you betcha ya! To all the wonderful friends we made-thanx for making our trip special!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Time Share hassles
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

My wife and I just returned from a one week stay at the Villa del Palmar on March 10th. I've been to Puerto Vallarta approximately 15 times and stayed at many different resorts (Westin, Mayan Palace, etc.) through exchanging with RCI. The resort is half-way between the Marina and town and you could get a taxi to either place for 40 pesos (around $4.00). There are 2 pools, one inland from the ocean where all the activities were (vollyball, water aerobics, etc.) and one by the ocean which was mainly occupied by adults. You need to put a towel on your chaise by 9:00 or earlier for the best locations. The outdoor restaurant was great for breakfast, but rather expensive with the buffet priced at 165 pesos/person or $16.50/person. The rooms were typical Mexican with a king size bed (always ask for a mattress cover!), a full kitchen with a refrigerator and living room with TV's in the bedroom and living room. We had daily maid service which was great and were charged $3.50/day for this service. The resort is very beautiful with all sorts of flowers and palm trees everywhere and the resort personnel were very friendly and helpful. One bit of advice...when you arrive at the airport the time share reps are everywhere and will offer you a "Gold Card" for visiting their time share resort ((they promise no more than 3 hours, but be prepared for an all day experience that you'll hate...and if you don't buy, which you definitely shouldn't, they will be very aggressive and rude...make sure you leave with what they promise you like pesos, meals, fishing, etc.) Also, when you are checking in at the resort, they will have a very pretty hotel representative ask you to spend some time with her to get your special package...please ignore her...this is only another pressured time-share presentation for the gold card. Overall, we loved this resort and Puerto Vallarta and are looking forward to going back in a few years.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Time-share reps
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Martinsville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2007

We traded a timeshare to get here in the high demand season, so we were checked into a unit in Building 7 by the main road...the farthest from the pools and the beach. I hope you can see it on the attached Resort Layout map I scanned (It is on the bottom, right). The unit was very noisy, the room and furnishings showed a lot of wear and tear, the king bed was about the size of a queen and it was really a studio unit instead of a one bedroom unit because the bedroom and living room had a louvered shutter opening between them. There wasn't much privacy in either room. The room AC was pretty noisy.
On our second day we nicely asked who got to stay in the prime rooms and, as we suspected, it was owners. If I was an owner, I'd want that too. However, we did get moved to a unit nearer the pool and overlooking the roof of one of the bars. It was much nicer, quieter and was a true one bedroom unit.
The grounds were very nice and we did get maid service every day which is unusual in our timeshare experiences.
The Bay and pool by the beach and the main pool were crowded early and for the whole day. As previous reviewers have said, you need to get a chair around the pool or on the Bay early or you will end up sitting around the third pool. Many people came down early, set their towels on their chairs and then showed up again around noon even though the signage said your stuff would be removed if you were gone for an hour. We never saw anybody's stuff removed. You could overhear many people grousing about it, but we got to the Bay around 8:30 each morning and had no trouble getting two chaises, a chair and a little table. We stayed at the beach pretty much all day except for using the bathroom and getting lunch. If you wanted a cushion, you had to get there by 7:00am. One day, I woke up early (6am) and went down to the Bay and there were already a dozen people there with their place staked out on the front row.
All day long on the beach we were asked by vendors if we wanted to buy their wares. They weren't too pushy if you said "No, gracias" but it did go on all day, every day, every 5 minutes.
The on-site restaurants were pretty good, the massage was OK and they have a nice gym. The grounds are nicely manicured.
Check-in was the usual Saturday nightmare and you should do the express check-out Friday because there will be a long line on Saturday.
Our "vacation advisor" was very friendly and helpful with dinner suggestions, taxis and getting our room changed. The maids and bellmen were friendly, but we found the front desk people not as friendly or helpful. It took us 2 days and about 5 trips to the Gold Members' desk to get a missing room safe key made.
A taxi from the airport was 170 pesos ($17USD) and the return trip was 50 pesos.
The bus to the Malecon downtown was 5 pesos and a taxi was 50 pesos. It's worth the visit once, but be prepared to be asked to take a timeshare tour by everyone in town!
We relaxed, in spite of the vendors, the timeshare salespeople and the room in Building 7.

Jacksonville Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

We rated this place average. That is because a man with his head in the oven and his feet in the freezer would be about average in temperature. The surly front desk clerks were definitely the low point of the experience. Unwelcoming and insincere clerks made you wonder if you were going to be billed correctly. Instead of being comforting guardians, they pushed you toward aggressive concierges and bellmen. Concierges often try to trap you into a time wasting time share visit. The prize is not worth the pain. Bellman ask for your keys, room or car, under false pretenses. The end result is less convenience for you and more tips for them. The grounds are well maintained and expansive. One would think that more of the maintenance would be done in the off season. Maybe it is too hot then. The hawkers on the beach are disconcerting. The rooms by the very busy main avenue suffer from a metal grate that makes a loud penetrating clang every time a car, truck, or bus tire runs over top of it. The definite high point is the friendly activities personnel. Luisa, especially, deserves high marks for her helpfulness and her desire to ensure we enjoyed our stay. The personnel at the bakery/deli were also friendly. These two groups brought the property back up to average.

Pleasant Hill, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

First, I'm glad I read the previous review about being put into the Villa Del Mar rather than VD PALmar. They tried the same with us, but I was back at the front desk showing them my reservation even before we were halfway to the Villa Del Mar. Luckily, our bellman described the two adjoining properties and pointed out that we were on our way to the Villa Del Mar, to the very same building described in the other review (over the 4-lane highway).

They changed our room to a great large studio for the first two nights (which was what I had reserved via their web site). We were on the 7th floor of the 8-story main building with a great view of the beach. Our room was clean and well-tended. We like to leave our doors open rather than use air conditioning, so the roar of the generators is rather loud, but we even got used to that.

After our first two nights, we moved into a two-bedroom (our timeshare trade). This room was on the 8th floor, again with a perfect view of the beach. We sat on the balcony lounge chairs almost every evening to enjoy the sunset.

The breakfast buffet might be considered a bit pricey by some (I think it was about 160 pesos per person), but if you have a late breakfast, there is so much good food available that you can definitely skip lunch, so it's basically two meals in one. From fresh fruit to fresh-made soft tacos to chilaquiles and eggs, potatoes, french toast, pastries, great juices, etc., etc. I'm not much of a breakfast food person, so the variety was great for us. We didn't eat there for any other meals, just breakfast a couple of times.

The location was very convenient. The bus stop was very close and there seemed to be a bus coming by every 3 or 4 minutes! For 5 pesos per person, you could ride downtown, which I would much rather do than taking a taxi everywhere, despite how economical it is (only 50 or 60 pesos each way). It was an adventure. We even jumped on the bus to go north a couple of times, once to Bucerias and once to Rancho Banderas almost to Punta da Mita. We had to change buses at the Wal-Mart (yes, WAL-MART!) and the other bus was a bit more expensive depending on how far you were going. Still considerably less than a taxi. And forget a rental car. I wouldn't drive there if you paid me!

Since I'm throwing in some extraneous stuff about the trip, I need to say that we took the Canopy Tour de los Veranos. Fabulous! It's a must! I was rather anxious, but now that I've done it, I wish I could go back and do it again tomorrow!

Back to the hotel: The people were lovely. We definitely enjoyed our stay.

So except for the initial "bait-and-switch" maneuver that was handled to my satisfaction, we had a great time and would not hesitate to stay there again.

kelowna
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

Kelowna, British Columbia

We booked and paid for more expensive Villa Del Palmer,which shares same lobby and check in/out counter as older less expensive Villa Del Mar, in which we were settled into. Both resorts are joined together so unsuspecting tourist can be checked into Del Mar unknowingly. Room given to us in Del Mar was older, darker,dungy,noisy and located beside 4 lane busy highway.Bathroom plumbing in tub and sink was broken and staff refused to move us to better room until we found out and told them that we were wrongly put in Villa Del Mar instead of Villa Del Palmer and were only moved after getting angry and upset with superviser. Tourist Beware!

Stayed February 2007

Been to Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!