“Kicking Back In The Sunshine at VdP” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd. Francisco Medina Asencio Km 2.5 | Zona Hotelera Norte, Puerto Vallarta 48333, Mexico   |
Ranked #26 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Richland, Washington
“Kicking Back In The Sunshine at VdP”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Had a good time, very relaxing. Have been before and will return!
Close to everything, nice beach, pool and service. Rooms are being updated, buildings being painted, you can tell they care.
Housekeeping is outstanding, tip heavily they deserve it!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

1,149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed in mid-December. We received a free week via Interval Int'l and ended up choosing VDP. Check in was pretty easy - just presented them with our certificate. For the first night, we were only able to check into a ground floor unit, but the staff was very helpful and offered to move us up to the 4th floor on day 2. We were also in building 1 - close to the ocean which was nice. For a property that is around 20 years old - we found the place to be very clean. Our ground floor room had a bit of an odor, but the 2nd room was well taken care of. The bed was comfortable and everything was in working order. Air Conditioner blew super cold air, so that was nice. Note to coffee drinkers - they did not have filters, but that was solved with a quick trip to Soriana.

The pool filled up pretty quickly in the morning - with tons of empty chairs saved by towels. So if you want a prime seat, get down there early and save your place. Staff was very helpful in bringing out some chairs and umbrella to a spot closer to the water. Beware of all the vendors. So many vendors...

The on-site market was nice - try the cheesecake. Otherwise, pricing in the market is a bit high. Think I paid about $5 for a dozen eggs...

Overall, would stay again. Would give the place 3.5 - 4 stars. It's not luxury, but it's pleasant.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are better for views - but one of the two elevators was out when we were there. We stay...
Centennial, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have stayed in a few different resorts in Puerto Vallarta and the Villa del Palmar is kept up very well and a very nice resort for it's age. They have a very friendly staff that provides exceptional service. The pool area is beautiful and they also have a good beach, volley ball, ping pong, and a great entertainment staff. They also have very good restaurants so doing all inclusive is a good buy. Highly recommend the Villa del Palmar.

Room Tip: Stayed in 2 diffent rooms and both were good. Request pool side balcony - they are best.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Our second trip to Puerto Vallarta. First time at this resort. We traded through IA for an efficiency suite. Yes, it's an older property, not fancy, and could use an update. However, one of the cleanest places we've ever stayed. Nice beach and we liked the convenience of being a short bus or car ride away from lots of things to do. Not the case when we stayed at the Flamingos about 4 years ago. The highlight was definitely the service. Almost every worker we met was friendly and helpful, despite the fact that we declined to do the timeshare presentation. Believe me, this is unfortunately not the case everywhere. Our concierge, Afrika, was very helpful when we ran into some snags trying to make reservations for Christmas dinner. We ate the delicious breakfast buffet every morning at the Market, which meant that we were often too full for lunch. Also ate one lunch and two special dinners here and thought the food was very good compared to similar resorts. Heriberto (and many others) gave fantastic service here! Many times we saw workers literally running get something for a diner. The gentlemen who call the taxis and handle luggage were the best we've experienced in all of our travels. They push a button, the taxi arrives in minutes, he communicates the destination with the driver in Spanish (our Spanish is terrible) and opens your door. Never felt pressured to tip as we have in other places. Boy, I could get used to that every day!

Disappointments: Dinner entertainment for Christmas show was awful. So bad that most people left as soon as they had eaten their fill. (Food was really good, though!) Didn't attend any other "theme" nights based on that experience.
It's time to offer internet for free and since you charge, don't you think it should work? Husband is an experienced IT man and even he said there is no excuse for what we experienced.

Please keep up the excellent service! To me this is more important than shiny decor and fancy amenities!

Room Tip: Stayed in quiet room on 3rd floor of main building. Pretty view of pool and beach in distance.
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I've read many of the positive and negative reviews of this hotel and can agree with a degree of them all. We had a suite with a king bed and bathroom with a small kitchen. It was a good size, very clean and had a great view of the pool with a small patch of ocean through the palm trees. Sure, the mold in the bathroom grout was evident and the paint job could have been better, but we were pleased overall with our room. Yes, the timeshare people and those wanting us to see their new property were unwelcome but I always tried to focus that these people were just trying to make a living. A polite no thank you worked. Gabriella was wonderful and she tried each day with smiles and faux pleading to get us to go to the Neuvo property, but we resisted! She did give us a fantastic restaurant tip in Bucerias (El Payo). The staff were very friendly. I was frustrated that the wifi was $12 a day and there were no free PC's anywhere, but ho hum. To eat on site was expensive. Breakfast for 2 was $50. They missed out as we didn't buy another meal there at those prices. We just hopped on the frequent buses and went the 15 minutes down town. My biggest irritation was the people that irrespective of the signs, went out at 8am to lay their towels on 4 sun beds then didn't come out until midday. That is a red rag to a bull with this Englishmen. We had many a run in with our European cousins doing this in the 80's. Their towels ended up in the pool! I'm older and more reserved (just!) so I kept quiet! It was difficult on Christmas Day though when this large humpback whale in a 2 piece swim suit tried to tell a very pleasant Canadian family that they "had to move" because of their temerity to move their towels onto one lounger - 4 hours previous!!! Not sure who strongly suggested they do it! Her reasoning was the old - everyone else is doing it so why can't I. What a wonderful ambassador to her country. I'm not saying which one! This was my first time in PV. We went to Cabo two years ago and my summation is the same - Mexico ain't cheap anymore. So I'm done with it and will be taking my lady further afield in the future.

Room Tip: Buy a timeshare!
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We were once again mostly pleased with our stay at Villa del Palmar. Quiet and easy to lounge about around the pool or on the beach. Disappointed with: Chairs on patio - not too conductive to sitting around, drinks from both bars - at happy hour - were weak though the waiters were most pleasant, food at both restaurants was most ordinary, preformed burgers while not bad, could have been better. So easy to be at this resort and catch cabs or buses into the downtown area. While the hair dryer didn't work and met one dead roach in the bathroom the room facilities were fine. Here is the SCAM - Greeters are two faced - one face is the host to welcome you to the facility and give you pertinent info - the other BAD side is the pushiness of THE TIMESHARE push. Just say NO- nope they are determined to get you to "take the look see". A real spoiler of the whole trip. Resort has to be better at the concierge desk: when the guy was able to put down his book - didn't know much - not even which TV channels were in English - now even the Motel 8 has a TV guide, another disappointment. Missed two favorite rest. both closed, but the Tapas Barcelona made up for it as this place is not to be missed.
Will probably return as this place is located ideally for us with the bus, cabs and grocery shopping most convenient.
Bill

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I was very nervous about staying at VdP because reviews were all over the place and we had invited a friend and her daughter to stay with us. Also, used to Marriott and Westin time share resorts with full kitchens and granite countertops, luxury beds. I was so pleased when I was warmly greeted by the wonderful staff at Villa del Palmar. I told my husband that I felt like I got a huge Mexican hug when we walked in the lobby. Everything was warm adobe color or red and there was a large Christmas tree in the lobby with poinsettias everywhere. I humbly asked for an updated room and it was granted to me. So happy about that. It is not fancy, but I would DEFINITELY LOVE to stay there again if in PV. We did not do all inclusive bc we went out to restaurants every night. So glad we went to malecon and South Town every night. 10-15 min bus ride. There is entertainment at the hotel for those that don't want to leave the resort.

Rooms: We stayed in room 2518. 1 BR suite. 2 full bathrooms - spacious. Fit ipad in the safe no problem along with small purses, phones, wallets. Refurbished with very nice bathrooms, 2 TVs, no DVD player, New couch in front of a pull down double murphy bed. Couch is easy to move around. There is room for a roll away if you need one. Murphy bed would be ok for 2 kids, but not 2 adults. My daughter slept on couch but it was small. Great linens including like new thick absorbent bath towels. Fridge/freezer was good size, but not super big. Stocked with 4 of plates and utensils and glassware. Stocked with rubbermaid ware. Great room service. I tipped every day and it was VERY appreciated. 20-50 pesos a day. Gabrielle was our maid all week. Everything is VERY clean. Probably the cleanest place I have stayed at. BRING sponge/cloth to wash dishes and soap. Only dish towel was supplied. No washer/dryer in room. Have powerful hairdryers that will trip the power off, but the fuse box is in the master closet.This was not a luxurious kitchen, but it worked well. No big table,a long counter served as our table, but that was ok with us. Bistro table and 4 chairs on balcony that overlooked pool. Could not see ocean bc we were near entrance.
2 small closets with 10 hangers ea. Large 6 drawer dresser and 2 night tables with space to store clothes.

Grounds: Very nice, small pools. Hot tub. Great pool service. Happy hour 12-1 bogo. Very nice beach towels. Drinks at the pool were ok... but the drinks at the restaurant in the evening were much better! No problem getting shade as there are many umbrellas and palapas on the beach. Beach vendors are a problem if you let them get to you. If you go to the beach, expect them to come up to you and persistently sell. I usually just talked to them for awhile because I reminded myself that I was on vacation and was not in a hurry to go anywhere anyway. When you say you aren't interested, they will leave you alone. I never bought anything from anyone. I met a lot of really nice people. They are just trying to make a living and there is no reason to be rude. I was tempted to be rude when I saw young children selling in south town in the evening. Just say no thank you if you are not interested. The beach is nice size, but I don't like any beaches along the hotel zone... the sand reminds me of dirt. Sorry. We stayed at the pool. Activities all day at one pool. Kids club with crafts and games. For a great beach -Spent a day in Las Caletas - really, really awesome. It is an excursion with Vallarta Adventures , such a fun day! Bought tickets online before we left and they were discounted.

WISH I would have brought more US $ and converted to pesos at the hotel. There was no charge for conversion of $500 per day and up to $1500 for the week or the stay, not sure which. I could have saved ATM fees. oh well. Exchange was 12.59, but varied daily.

People all used WIFI in lobby. I didn't have luck getting online with my ipad to buy in but it may have needed updating or something. $50 per week. If I could have got reception at the pool or my room, I may have tried harder to purchase it, but I used the free WIFI at Soriana and Mc D's in the malecon. Daq Dicks had wifi and the malecon had wifi, ask night clubs for log in. Soriana is a short walk across street for groceries/liquor and then cab home with goods. Stocked up on water and bought ice for freezer. 2 trays were provided. Drank water at restaurant and all over Malecon and South Town with no problems at all.Also - there is an ATM and a bank by Sorianas in the mall there. ATMs are in town as well.

Spent every night taking the bus 6.5 pesos ($.50 US) Cab rides home ranged from 50-70 pesos. I didn't argue much as it was still a good deal. I never had to wait more than 30 seconds for a cab at ANY time. Amazing service! Loved every single person I came in contact except for a waiter at a Malecon night club.

Fun, rowdy family sing along with free quacamole and huge margaritas: Pipis in malecon area about 3 blocks from malecon. For Packer fans - Que Pasa! Long walk on the first street across the Rio Cuale about 10 blocks toward mountains. Almost lost courage, but endured. Locals guided us. Would recommend cab for easily intimidated. Walked through neighborhood - all were very friendly. Get maps online. Use Trip Advisor!!! It really helped me plan where to have dinner. I was never disappointed. Liked Joe Jack's fish shack - but warm upstairs. Ambience nice at Daquiri Dicks. Countless awesome places to eat and fun to people watch in South Town. DO NOT miss this! Went out to Andales - so hilarious, but crude music if you are offended easily. Donkey arrived at 9:30pm for a 5 min appearance.Sing along 50-60 year old crowd. Im 45 and had fun with friends laughing and singing for a few hours!

Went to volunteer at Casa Hogar orphanage one day and one of the maintenance guys pumped up my 4 soccer balls for me that i brought for the kids and then delivered them to my room.

One of our sayings for our trip was " There is no NO in Mexico". No matter what we asked, there was always an effort to help us out. My daughter and I split many meals (Pipis and Joe Jacks) when we went out. It saved us so much money and we were never left hungry.

I know this is long, but I figure, you can stop reading if you want to. I am so pleased with our trip and I hope that if you are looking for sun and fun, PV is the place. It is very clear to me that the owners truly care about this place and want you to enjoy yourself. If you are looking for beach only - I would go to Cancun or Playa del Carmen. PV is so much fun - we had such a nice time out every single night. I laughed more than I ever have. My 18 year old daughter hugged me many, many times a day and we had so much fun together. My husband and I have a trip planned for Cancun and now I wish we were going to PV together - so much more to do!

At checkout you can remove the "added gratuity" if you want to - they add to your bill a small amount for ground staff.

If you have more questions about restaurants we went to, Casa Hogar, bus, Las Caletas, Soriana, or anything else, just email me. I would be glad to help where I can. If you have not been to PV in the past 5 years, so much has changed and PV is a lively, fun, happening place that is family friendly.

Room Tip: Our room had no noise problems, water heat and water pressure was always good. 2518. 5th floor. U...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!