“Clean, friendly, and boisterous” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Velas Vallarta Suite Resort

You added Velas Vallarta Suite Resort to your Saves list
Velas Vallarta Suite Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Costera s/n, LH2 | Fracc Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #11 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Olympia, WA
“Clean, friendly, and boisterous”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Velas Vallarta; traveling with 13 people total. The resort was kind enough to offer a free upgrade from a two-bedroom to a three-bedroom for one of our rooms so we ended up with two 3-bedroom suites which were extremely clean and well-maintained. They were also quite large with a full kitchen; dining area; living room; and 2 full baths. The pool is lively and filled with kids and families, so this would not be the place to stay if you were looking for peace and quiet. We have also stayed at the Grand Velas and Casa Velas, and this is definitely the "budget" resort among the three. The food was decent; but nothing spectacular--especially when compared to the 5-star dining at the Grand Velas and Casa Velas resorts. The tour offered a free city bus tour which was really nice and provided an opportunity to see the old town; the flea market; and a tour to a tequila-producer who provided an interesting explanation of tequila distilling and tastings. Be careful, though, with your purchases from the tequila producer. They sell bottles that are well-wrapped in bubble-wrap which is perfect for the plane trip home; but when I got home I found that I had different tequilas than what I had ordered.

I only had a couple minor complaints with the hotel: First, you could not charge tips to your room except when ordering room service. That is, you couldn't run a tab with the poolside waiters to allow you to charge a tip to your room; nor could you charge a tip to your room at the restaurants. I know that you do not have to tip; but I like to reward good service and found that we were constantly trying to make change with our pesos so that we could leave some money for our waiters.

My second complaint is the lack of free wi-fi. In this day and age, free wi-fi should be standard; or at least it should be offered at a reasonable charge. They do offer a paid wi-fi for what works out to about $10 (US) per day; but it only works on one device. I was certainly not going to pay for wi-fi on everyone's smartphones and ipads. My kids ended up walking down to the CasaMagna Marriott two resorts down (where we stayed our first night) to use their public wi-fi.

The third issue is that they want you to make reservations at the nicer of the two restaurants (Andrea); but if you do not make your reservation really early in the day, they will tell you they are full. This is even when we asked for tables of 4 or 6 (knowing that 13 is hard to seat). But then you would often find that the restaurant was half-empty in the evening. A couple of times when we were told we were too late for a reservation; we came back when the restaurant looked quiet and they did end up seating us--but only after getting some obvious stink-eye from the hostess who had just told us a few hours earlier that they were full. (The waiters, on the other hand, were wonderful and happy to see us--because we always tipped well and were a really well-behaved group).

The maintenance staff is wonderful; and kept the pool area clean all the time. There were a number of large iguanas that live in and around the pool grounds; but the staff were quick to clean up after them and shoo them away if they got too close for comfort. In all, it was a terrific week and though it was not nearly as elegant as the Grand Velas or CasaVelas; I would have to say it was a better value for the dollar (given that the all-inclusive rates are about half of the rates at the other two resorts).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta Suite Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Good afternoon and thank for your review. You have covered a wide variety of topics including the value for your dollar. You are absolutely correct when mentioning that our sister resorts have an unequalled elegance in the product that they provide to our mutual guests. And of course, in order to provide those sweet, personal luxuries our rates for Grand Velas and Casa Velas are certainly that much higher. However, we realize that a group of 13 can be an expensive proposition. That is why in the Velas Group of Hotels we offer a wide variety vacation options. But you can be rest assured that the high spirit of service is a constant throughout the Velas hotels. Again, thank you for your insights and it will be our pleasure to host your group in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at Velas. We had 2 great days, and then we went to the Mexican Fiesta at the hotel. 3 of us got food poisoning and spent 2 days in bed miserable. The next day, another member of our party got food poisoning at the hotel buffet. She was sick for 2 more days. We could not bring ourselves to eat there again. We had only 1 day that our entire group was able to have fun together. A total disappointment.
When I spoke to Antonio, Guest Services Manager, he was rude and indifferent. I asked him to reimburse me for several excursions we were unable to take due to the hotels poisoning of our party. He refused. He offered to waive the internet fee and felt that whopping $79.00 made up for the $2,000.00 in excursions we lost. He said he needed a doctors note, and when I presented it, he just said there was nothing he could do. I find that very hard to believe.
All other staff members at Velas were top notch and extremely helpful. I hope they all find another place to work as their leader is the worst excuse for customer service I have ever experienced.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
luis a, General Manager at Velas Vallarta Suite Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Good afternoon and thank you for sharing your experience on your vacation. In the days during your visit the resort was at a !00% occupancy, and actually for all of July and for a good part of August also. We are experiencing here at Velas Vallarta a very successful summer in terms of having the hotel fully reserved, and the vast amount of satisfied guests that we have hosted. I must in all fairness disagree with your statement that states "the hotels poisoning of our party". With an operation the size of ours, and the thousands of guests this summer that have not been "poisoned" I find your case to be very unique indeed, especially since 640 guests attended the very same Mexican Fiesta. In conferring with the house doctor he has notes that refer to other complications in your case that you have not mentioned in your review, but of course I will not expand on that. Our Guest Service representative Antonio had only one contact with you and that was to change a tour from five persons to four, which was done with a refund for that person and a gesture of free wi-fi during your stay. However, in investigating with the travel agency that sold you your tours, they confirm that you bought and experienced "Rhythms of The Night", "Dolphin Swim Experience", "Outdoor Adventure" and a boat tour to the "Marietas Islands". Actually, some of these tours you even posted on TripAdvisor. The only tour not used was the "San Sabastian" 8 hour bus tour, which by the way was complementary due to a promotion made by the same tour company. In investigating all of this I am at a loss to understand the $2,000 in lost excursions when the total for all of them does not even add up to $1,300. It may be certain that Antonio could have done more "Above and Beyond" in his personal treatment with your family. For that I do apologize and we will make internal corrections for that.
Manalapan, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Arrived on July13th front desk upgraded us to 3 bedroom along with our friends who met up with us an hour after we landed. Had a fun time with my wife and two teenage sons. The place is out of something in the 1980's however it was extremely clean. Somehow got stuck with the time share bull but managed to get them to pay for the zip lining for my entire family. Only cost us $20 total for the four of us. Also went Para sailing off the beach which my family enjoyed. A bit expensive but you can and should negotiate with them. American dollars go a long way and be prepared the resort doesnt exchange large American $'s for small American bills, only Pesos. We brought over $500 worth of Spa Finders (get them at costco) before I left I emailed Velas to inquire about them accepting them. Was informed by email they do. When we went to the spa they had no idea what Spa Finders were. We were told to go to customer relations and ask them. Once there the young lady had no idea and said we needed to speak with Donald the manager. A few minutes later Donald came by and asked to see my email on my phone. Long story short he made a few phone calls and Donald got it done. Way to go Donald. Thats customer relations at its best. I had one of the best massages ever, felt like jelly on two feet afterwards and needed a cane to walk steadily. My wife loved her facial and both our friends enjoyed their spa treatments. The restaurants had limited or no A/C. La Riberia had a great stir fry station but nothing else worth eating. Too hot and too many flies. Ruben was a very good waiter there.
Andrea's was the place to eat. A/C was limited but the service was amazing. Teodoro and Moises made us feel like a million dollars during breakfast and lunch. Ricardo and Luis were great at night. We had one off night with wait service at Andrea's and i let him know it. Totatally ignored us most of the meal never offered anything always had to get his attention. Teodoro brought him over the next morning and I ripped him apart for his miserable service. Needless to we never were served by him again. Pool Volley ball was fun and throwing around the football.

Pros - Great, Wonder and Dedicated Service Staff
Pool and Grounds
A/C in room
Andreas food
Massages and Facials at Spa
Teodoro, Moises, Ricardo Eric and Luis at Andrea's restaurant
Miguel and Ivan around the pool area

Cons - Beach is clean however ocean is dirty
Limited A/C in Resort
Absolutely worse nightlife after dinner -thank goodness for playing cards in room
Inability to convert large American bills into Small American Bills

Room Tip: Building 4 5th floor or higher
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta Suite Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you Kirk for expressing your experiences of your holiday with us at Velas Vallarta. Your interaction with many of our staff members was very large and your ability to remember their names means to us that they have left a positive impression on you. That is precisely one of our goals. To service our guests in a personable fashion and that happens from the management level all the way to our line staff. For whatever your needs may be you always count on Velas Vallarta to get things done. Thank you again for your detailed comments.
Los Angeles, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The restaurant inside saved the day... the restaurant by the beach was mediocre.

The deal killer was the very muddy beach... seriously, why would you build a hotel next to where two rivers go into the ocean? All the erosion from the mountains (dirt, plants, etc) came into the bay... making the water brown and full of twigs and plants... I am not sure if it is different on any other time of the year.

The hotel staff was friendly and very good... the pool was gigantic and the kids really enjoyed it. After I upgraded the room from a studio that was supposed to face the beach (none of them do) I paid extra and was given a 1 bedroom which was much nicer and had the view...

Puerto Vallarta is amazing place! I can't wait to go back! For the same money you can probably stay at a hotel with a better beach... try Nuevo Puerto Vallarta or look for La Playa del Caballo... better beach and same locale...

Room Tip: none of the studios face the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta Suite Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Hola and thank you for taking the time to post your experience here on TripAdvisor. As a major resort in Puerto Vallarta we have many facets to our product for our guests to enjoy. At times one just does not have the time to experience each and every one of them but in question of variety we have an abundance. As is mentioned in your review you enjoyed some aspects over others even though we strive for 100% guest satisfaction in all our areas. Obviously we cannot control the rainy season and the natural factors that occur in our environment, but it is important to note that in the prestigious Marina Vallarta zone where we are located along with other internationally renowned hotels, Velas Vallarta has the largest quality beach area. And, as for Puerto Vallarta being a terrific place you are absolutely right. All of us that live and work in Vallarta are all ambassadors of this destination and we appreciate your fine words and loyalty to the region and its people. Thank you again and we wish you a great summer.
Fruitland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We have been owners for many years now and always look forward to coming back for a week of pure enjoyment. We enjoy seeing many of the same people year after year and have developed great friendships with several. The food and beverages are always awesome w/ lots of variety and unsurpassed quality. Always eat and drink too much under the all-inclusive plan. From the moment of check in until check out, we hardly ever want to leave the facility. Staff at the pool and activities crew are always johnny on the spot and are a highlight of the day. Amazing to me how they remember us from year to year and we simply adore all of them. Rooms are always neat and clean and very comfortable. Simply a wonderful facility for a family vacation or lovers retreat. Will be there in early Nov. 2013.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta Suite Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
So pleased to read that our All Inclusive program is ideal for you and your family. As you mention, one can indulge all that they wish without limits or restrictions. When you are on holiday you can relax and be served until your needs are met. Also when you return in November you can count on seeing the same smiling faces that you have come to know over the years. See you soon and enjoy your summer.
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We ended up at Velas Vallarta more by accident than by design! A friend had recommended a different hotel in the area and I had made a reservation there. 2 weeks before we were scheduled to go I checked TripAdvisor and read awful reviews. So I called the travel company to check what other resorts had availability and changed our reservation to the Velas, after checking TripAdvisor . I am so glad that I did.
This is a great resort; family friendly, clean and beautiful. We travelled with 2 of our children, one of whom is a teenager. The location is a 5 minute drive from the airport. it has a beach access and lovely grounds and pools.
We spent most days lounging by the pool. The children swam and played pool volleyball. There are table tennis tables in the pool area and my 10 year old had fun playing. The whole resort felt very safe and I was never concerned that the children went off on their own.
We ate most of our meals at Andrea's; every meal had great choices and delicious food. The service was good wherever we went in the resort. And our suite was immaculate, although we never saw the cleaning staff in the room. They were completely unintrusive. The beds were really comfortable too and we all slept very soundly.
There was plenty to do for every age group, in the resort and the entertainment organizer and DJ were tireless in their efforts to make everything fun. We did go to Las Caletas, which is gorgeous and well worth a visit. We also went zip lining at Eden.
Thanks to TripAdvisor I really felt as if we had the perfect vacation. If I hadn't read the reviews prior to travel we may have made an awful mistake. It is really worth sharing experiences on this website...good and bad!!

Room Tip: Our room was directly above Andrea's overlooking the foyer, which was great for access to everyt...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor. Your comments reflect those of many of our guests in regards to our service and product. It was nice that you researched your options on this page beforehand. Your review is living proof that the comments here are very much in line with what you experienced. When researching a hotel, one likes to sense an overall feeling for a property before making a final decision and Tripadvisor is the place to do just that. Congratulations on your good decision and we look forward to having you and your family with us again in the future.
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Where should I start? I have been coming to Puerta Vallarta for many years but hadn't been there in some time. It was the first time I did the all inclusive. My boyfriend and I arrived and were greeted at the airport where we were given a courtesy ride to the resort. EVERYTHING from that time forward was terrific. The people were so kind and thoughtful, the food was great, the restaurants were clean and the pool area was so much fun. We enjoyed the games and the various nights were we celebrated with different ethnic foods. The Mexican Fiesta was fabulous. The staff at the pool and by the ocean were really on top of things. We were never without a drink...food...all our needs were met. Both Christians (at the owners desk and the fiesta) were great. I cannot say enough about our vacation. I look forward to coming again. The resort is so great and the town is wonderful to visit. Take the boat to Las Caletas and see the Rhythms of the Night...well worth it. Anyway, the resort is beautiful, service is excellent and I can't wait to return. Christine Conger

Room Tip: We had a corner room with a balcony. I prefer a balcony over a view but every room is clean and comf...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We are delighted that we helped to make your return journey to Puerto Vallarta a memorable one for you and your boyfriend. The services, attractions and the selection have grown over the past few years but the consistancy is and always will be the hospitality that the local residents show toward our visitors. The Puerto Vallarta area is a place where friendships are made and vacations become unforgettable. Welcome back!

Been to Velas Vallarta Suite Resort? Share your experiences!