“2nd Visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Velas Vallarta Suite Resort

Save Saved
You added Velas Vallarta Suite Resort to your Saves list
Velas Vallarta Suite Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Costera s/n, LH2 | Fracc Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
$140 (USD)
Ranked #16 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Camano Island, Washington
“2nd Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I can sympathize with being here during a 'riot' of horrible guests. Last year 3 conventions were being held & the wives (poolside) & their bratty kids made it a living hell. I was told that 'it is only 3 days'...well, that's 3 days of MY vacation. I have complained & they tell me they read TripAdvisor so they need to get a handle on this. But....this place is unparalleled if your timing is better. The food @ Andreas is 5* along with the wine. Every piece of meat we had (I don't meat in the US) was cooked to perfection & tender. The in-season seafood fabulous...I could go on & on. Eat dinner & BF @ Andrea's, lunch poolside or @ the beach restaurant. I also do not like having to listen to 'garden maintenance' but when are they supposed to do it? In the dark @ night? The living room furniture (old & tired) needs an update...but we leave the room in the morning, come back & change for dinner so we hardly sat on it. I'm a linen 'freak' & it doesn't get any better. You can get 2 towel tickets for the pool. The lobby IS weird...& HOT!! Be sure & walk down to the Marina (10 min) after dinner. No real beach walking if you're into that. If you're up for a little authentic market day catch the bus to Bucerias (13p) each way on Sunday. The concierge girls can help you with directions. I only get my facials with Pilar @ the Spa. Worth every penny. Be sure & order an after dinner drink @ Andrea's... a carrahillo. They also need to provide bar menus poolside instead of just saying 'we can get what you what you want'. How do I know what I want until I see the menu?! Bon Voyage!

Room Tip: Have stayed on 3rd floor & 7th floor in building 3...numbers start with 3 as in 3707. There was...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta Suite Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hola and thank you for your gracious comments. The details you mention are so true such as the cuisine and wine selection and of course the bedding. For years we have focused on the guest's sleep comfort and have invested heavily on "Sleep Eze" double matresses, quality threaded sheets and down filled pillows and duvets. The response from our guests have been very positive towards these products to the point where many actually buy them from our boutique. Your sleep comfort combined with our nightly turndown service make your holiday a truly relaxing experience. We look forward to hosting you again. Take care.

2,169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

The resort grounds are gorgeous and the staff is over the top good. Pools and swim up bar were awesome and the food was great!!! The resort is in a very nice location and it only takes 10 minutes to get to town.

• Stayed June 2013
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta Suite Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for commenting on your stay while you are still with us in our resort.Just so you know, if there is anything that we can help you with please do not hesitate to contact us at the Guest Service department. Our services are open from 7am until 11pm for your needs. Enjoy your vacation to the fullest!
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Marcelino is the best server I have ever experienced!! He is very personable and attentive. He looks/acts like he LOVES his job! The other servers were great too. Also, the housekeeping and other attendants. I can't say enough good things about the service in ALL areas at this resort. They tended to the rooms three times a day, I think, and everyone always tried to accommodate our every wish.

It would have been nice if all inclusive was a pick a day type deal because we were gone 5 out of the 7 days, either traveling to and from the hotel or into the city. Also, it seemed to get quiet pretty early and I would probably go someplace with less children next time, although they didn't bother me specifically, I was uncomfortable around them after a few drinks.

I didn't care for the salespeople on the beach, they need a boundary line not to bother people trying to relax on the beach chairs or yell at them walking by. It was just annoying is all.

Room Tip: I have only been in one room. It was somewhat noisy when people were walking by or in the hall. Not...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta Suite Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
As you pointed out Marcelino certainly does love his job as do the other 520 Velas employees. The loyalty base that we share as a company with the staff, provides a consistency in our product and service which is notable to our guests. Guests have asked "what training do you give your staff that makes them so happy?". Well, that ingredient of happiness is something genuine that the people here of this region have and show naturally. We just provide them the platform in which to share it with you. Thank you for your delightful observations.
Riverside, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

In short, we were sold this package as an all-inclusive (AI), however, the hotel offers other, non-inclusive (NI), pay-as-you-go options. As AI guests, we seemed to be in the minority, and the NI guests were of a decidedly different nature. While I traveled here for a relaxing few days, the NI guests turned the hotel into spring break, crowding the common areas (primarily the 2 pools) with large groups of noisy, and often impolite, kids and adults (kids outnumbering adults by 3-to-1). How do I know who the NI guests were? Lack of armbands which signified the AI guests, the presence of ice chests and grocery bags full of food by the pool, and their complete absence at any of the restaurants and shops on the grounds (most likely because cheaper alternatives abounded in the nearby town).

The hotel turned a blind eye to the unsightly behavior of a majority of the guests and when I commented on this, I was told by many staff members that the management's attitude is to allow the paying customers to do what they want since they are, after all, paying. Since I was in the minority, my concerns were not going to be taken seriously.

A quick rundown:

The Good: rooms (spacious, well-appointed, and comfortable), air conditioning (the first time I've had an air conditioning unit in Mexico that could handle the humidity; the room was bone-dry), grounds (lush and garden-like with roaming animals, such as peacocks and iguanas), public restrooms (ridiculously clean and fresh-smelling), staff (terrific to a person but special recognition for unparalleled service goes to Marcelino, Juventino, Ernesto, Luis, Efren, Carlos, Alejandro, and Brenda).

The Bad: the steakhouse (limited menu with an emphasis on red wine reductions, lousy steaks, less than attentive service), hotel exchange rate (well below the going rate and the hotel always gave change in pesos benefiting from the margin), entertainment (poor quality, very amateurish), pool shade (there are tables with attached umbrellas, but no free-standing umbrellas that could be positioned advantageously over your lounge), room service (lots of incorrect orders), restaurant variety (I hope you like mediocre Italian food), public restrooms (only one to serve a three-pool area and the staff uses it too).

The Ugly: kids (kid-friendly doesn't even begin to describe it), noise (hotel is in the airport flight path, grounds maintenance takes place daily for at least 2 hours a day with major maintenance occurring at least once a week--leaf blowers, mowers, etc. on all occasions during our stay), lobby (I almost turned around and left when I first arrived because the lobby is just a large, square, undecorated and mostly empty room. The seating areas consist of cheap tables and chairs which also double as both the bar seating and the theater for the nightly entertainment which occurs right in the middle of the room. It looks more like a cheap outdoor diner than a resort lobby.), lobby bar (at any other hotel, I like to frequent the bar after dinner for a drink and some conversation. This bar was literally a counter inside a small closet that attached off the lobby. No elbowing up to the bar here; they brought your drinks to you at the aforementioned cheap tables and chairs).

Tip: Ask the cabana captain for a beach towel (blue) instead of a pool towel (white); they are far plusher and more conducive to poolside lounging. Also, if you’re looking for some peaceful relaxation, consider an adults-only resort that does not cater to the party crowd.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta Suite Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your detailed observations concerning your recent stay with us. As you mentioned there are various aspects to a vacation and we strive to accomodate all the wishes of the traveller. Velas Vallarta is certainly a large family resort with large condo style suites as you described which makes for a very comfortable stay. We do however have a varied client base at reasonable rates allowing for different types of travellers. In the Velas Group of Hotels there are more specific options such as Casa Velas Adults Only and the two modern Grand Velas facilities which are very upscale. In the Velas Group of Hotels one can find the option that satisfies the needs and expectations of each traveller.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We just returned from our honeymoon at Velas, and it was above anything we could have imagined. The lobby is gorgeous, the grounds are meticulous, and the rooms were the nicest we have ever been in (and we stay at 4 star hotels constantly). The beds were absolutely ridiculously amazing, and the air conditioning worked fantastic, so I could enjoy that giant down comforter. The porch was so pretty too, and I loved the tile everywhere.

Almost everyone we saw was on the all-inclusive plan, which I would recommend if you want to eat there. Their food prices seemed very marked up ($80 for a buffet with stir fry and mashed potatoes?), but I didn't care because it was all inclusive. Room service was gorgeous, with such friendly people--Daniel was so nice!! The restaurant food was not traditional Mexican, even on Mexican night, but it was good. The service was amazing & we loved all the staff members--so friendly and happy all the time. But, hands down, the highlight of the trip was eating with the peacocks. Eating breakfast while a puffed up peacock strutted beside you was awesome, and I'm gluten free so I fed my dinner roll to him! It was awesome.

The one pool was a bit loud, with music and such, but quieter than most resorts I've been to. The beach was almost silent, as was the other pool. Staff would just walk by and hand you waters and bring you drinks and snacks--I felt so pampered! I almost never go in pools and always just go to the beach, but we spent the majority of our time in the pool because it was so nice. When we were down on the beach, we were under a pretty palapa and had service down there as well.

Overall, it was an amazing experience & we were so overjoyed we got to spend our honeymoon in such a great place. I would definitely recommend it to anyone else, especially if you're looking for a resort experience.

Room Tip: We got upgraded to the one bedroom as a wedding gift, and it was gigantic and wonderful and just per...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Just like yourself most of our guests are fascinated by our wildlife that wanders and lives on our grounds. The peacocks sure do put on a show by the restaurants when they want a treat from our guests. The iguanas are a little more reserved but will enjoy lunching on the pink and purple flowers that are found all around the hotel. Even the large variety of fish will swim toward you when you approach with hopes that you'll have some tasty pellets for them. You will also see a variety of bird life cooling off in our ponds during the warm afternoon siesta time. So when you come back in summer and fall please make plans to participate in our turtle release on the beach. I'm so sure that you'll love it. Thank you for your insightful comments.
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

WE HAD THE BEST SERVER! his name was Marcelino. he was absolutely amazing. This hotel was very nice. loved the view. the food was great. drinks were great. garden was well maintained. and all the staff were very nice and helpful. i feel like we got our moneys worth. would like to have an option to not do all inclusive everyday(as a couple of days we went on cruses and didnt feel it was beneficiary to do all inclusive on those days) Loved the "tiny" lizzards. the only thing i didnt like was the people selling things on the beach. would have been better if they didnt ask you if you wanted to buy something while we were relaxing pool side, but over all a great experience and we will be back. First time to mexico was a great trip! We celebrated our 10 year anniversary and the staff made us a special cake for us one night. the rooms were nice. we needed an accessible room, but didnt book one. the manager was very nice and tried to switch us. wasn't able to, but did accommodate us well. Great stay!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for selecting Velas Vallarta for your 10th wedding anniversary. Here is truly a romantic venue with all the lush gardens and mountain backdrops combined with the Pacific Ocean and it's incredible sunsets. Marcelino, who is well known also amongst the staff will be made aware of your gracious comments. You can look forward to seeing him again and all the 520 Velas employees on your next trip with us. Take care.
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I chose to stay at the Velas Vallarta to celebrate our anniversary. Most of the hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. We did not have an issue with the time share people. We made it clear we were not interested and nobody bothered us again. Actually, one of the time share sellers, Luis Miguel, was always very helpful and gave us great tips on what to do and where to eat around town. The grounds around all the pool areas are truly beautiful, the best I’ve seen so far, and the one bedroom suites are very comfortable with a spacious balcony which offers a nice view of the beach and the pool. However, we were not aware that most of the rooms in this hotel are dedicated to time shares and a large number of the people that stay here are from nearby cities and come with their friends and/or family and usually bring their coolers by the pool with their own food and drinks. There are 3 pool areas, the main one by the beach, the kids’ pool, and the "quiet" pool (supposedly for adults). We decided to lay out by the “quiet” pool, assuming that we would be away from all the noise, but unfortunately that was not the case. In fact, every single kid staying at the hotel was using the “quiet” pool (and they weren’t quiet). On top of that, for a couple of days, they had some private school "end of the year" event and a group of 40 kids (6 and 7 years old) showed up all at once, turning the “quiet” pool area into a complete chaos. What is really ironic is that the “kids” pool was completely empty. We found out the hard way that the hotel management does not enforce any rules on who uses which pool. I understand that is their prerogative, but then they shouldn’t label any of the pools “quiet”, it creates false expectations. Something else I think is worth mentioning is the fact that there are only two restaurants in the hotel, one of which is the restaurant by the pool, very casual, which serves pretty much the same food every night, and the other one, Andrea’s, which is more elegant and supposedly serves different types of cuisine, except for Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday when they serve “Italian”. I wouldn’t have an issue with only one nice restaurant for the whole resort, but who wants to eat Italian three nights in a row? I paid for an all inclusive and I shouldn’t feel like I have to go outside the resort to find some variety for dinner. I do want to thank some of the wonderful staff that helped made our stay more enjoyable despite some of these issues. By the pool it was Marcelino, Juventino and Luis and at Andrea’s restaurant it was Ernesto, Efren, Alejandro, Carlos and Brenda. They all went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and welcomed and gave us truly exceptional service.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the ocean
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
donald w, Guest Relations Manager at Velas Vallarta Suite Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time in detailing your stay with us. The favorable aspects that you mentioned of our resort we consistently maintain as the cornerstone of our product. Described in other reviews our buildings, public areas and service are really top notch. The menus are in constant modification and I personally believe that there is always room for change especially when we cater to many repeat guests and your Italian night observation is being considered for an update. Here at Velas there is tecnically no adult pool. The "Quiet Pool" as it is verbally referred to is generally just that, tranquil because there are no music, speakers or activities there. The childrens group you mentioned was a primary school with parents for the weekend which can be found at any resort and at any time. Normally they are not a big market for us but they just happened to be here during a portion of your stay. I thank you for your detailed comments and I respect your views. I do believe also that to visit us again for your next anniversary you will find the same things not repeating themselves. I will pass on your nice words to the staff that you mentioned and we all congratulate you on your special day.

Been to Velas Vallarta Suite Resort? Share your experiences!