“you can't please everybody” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Friendly Vallarta Resort

You added Friendly Vallarta Resort to your Saves list
Friendly Vallarta Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 2.5 Blvd. Francisco Medina Ascencio, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Friendly Hola Vallarta Resort and Spa)   |
Ranked #26 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pinehurst, North Carolina
“you can't please everybody”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

We stayed at the Hola/Qualton for a couple of nights in late February prior to moving to our regular two week time share at another resort. I was frankly intimidated to the point of considering cancelling our reservations (which were pre-paid) because of the dire comments from other reviewers.

The Ritz it ain't, but my picky wife and I agree it certainly was a good value for the money. Further, none of the horror stories I read happened to us while we were there.

I guess some people just like to get their shorts tied in knots over things of little consequence.

We go to PV every year and will probably stay at this resort again because of the flexibility it gave us with time share check ins and air fares.

• Stayed February 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2006

We have been avid travelers to PV for many years. The "Hola" IS A "HOLATA crap" is what this hotel is. The front desk is rude, they think they are the guests and treat you as if it is a priviledge to stay there.

The food is the worst, WE don't expect much but there is actually nothing but bland food. We had to get out to get something with some flavor. Lunch left overs or FATTY HAMBURGERS and maybe fries and beans.

The towels are guarded like gold and the hotel is one that still uses keys to enter the rooms which do not seem safe. Good luck if you lose any of these.

The beach is small and crowded, with only a few comfortable louge chairs the rest are cushion with backing. If you get down early you can get the lounge chairs by 7:30am, if you can make it by then but you are not allowed to get a chair or cabana with shade until 8:ooam.

OUR ADVISE: Go to the Holiday Inn ..... its the best pool and beach and the staff there are extreamly professional.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2006

Every year I read reviews on resorts before I book. I do rely on them, but keep in mind these reviews are from all diff/people! Some who expect too much or want a 5 star + service for a low price etc.. My reviews for this resort is very good for the price I paid far better then expected from the reviews I read.We had a wonderful time,the staff are great the food ( we are not picky eaters) loved it, Le cave is exquisite, fantastic! Loved all the food, tried everything. The complaint about the beds to hard, well I slept "great" I had back surgery and beleive me I would have felt it the beds are not as they say "hard" like a board. Yes indeed the resort needs upgrade but I will tell you this it is spotless, we stayed in the building #3 tower building in the middle "wonderful view breath taking view" you cannot go wrong in this building, and the side building either you do have a view of the ocean. Yes I admit there may be rooms the bathroom are old but if you go to the front desk and ask them for another room, they will be pleased to change you to another room with no problems! In our group of people on our flight a hand full asked for another room... I would go back to this resort in a heart beat!! The intertaiment "yes" compare to other travels as they say on the reviews could be more! But I enjoyed what they did have, but we retire early, and up early so our vacation does not involve staying up late hours to party, for us it was wonderful! You can walk out of the resort to a mall approx 3 blocks away, such a big mall, and "yes" to boot there is a Walmart not in this large mall, walmart is at the other end, a 3.00 us fare will take you to Walmart by taxi.We prefered the mall it had all what you need and more! The Taxi to a large "flea Market" in Puerto Vallarta is amazing, we could not do all the shops it is so large, taxi 4.00 US be prepared to shop, loved the shops, and do try to get the price down it is a flea market, when you do plan to go make sure it is a day no cruise ships are docked the best time. Less people and lower price we asked and it was Friday & Saturday no cruise ships docked!! You also from your balcony if your in the no #3 building middle one, have a wonderful view of these cruise ships, at night all "lit up" beautiful sight! In the morning very early look out to the sea you may see whales or dolphins. The beach is small but I have not heard one complaint from the people, the chairs are better at the pool I admit, but I had no compalint of the older chairs at the beach at all.
The workers are always willing to please, and wonderful personality always smiles! Yes alot of them do not speak english, but remember your in there country and they do love to try to understand and help the best they know how, I never had a problem!!
The boy on the beach is there at 8 am to get your Beach chair and umbrella for you where ever you want it, a wonderful boy named Abraham, we tipped him on our last day he is always eager to help you get comfortable. If you go outside the resort bring some kleenex with you the washrooms are out so just in case good to have that on hand for the public washrooms! We had a wonderful Time and sad to have read so many negative reviews on this resort, and pleased once again that we made a wonderful choice for the price we paid!!! After so many years travelling you get to know what reviews to take seriously *smiles* "Hola" and I applaud the resort and the people who work there!

Toronto, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2006

I could have never imagined such a horrible hotel. Every day there was a problem, Hola hotel was running out of alcohol at 2 pm, Food served for dinner was lunch the next day, You don't really need to wonder why people are getting sick here. We were even told that if we did not like the service, we should leave, Now thats good customer service.
We flew down with our kids (17, 17, 16), who stayed at another hotel. The cost to get a day pass for our hotel was $45 US dollars for each, even after the passes were bought, the kids were harrassed by security all day long, requiring proof of payment. Kinda hard to do that when your in the pool. You are also not allowed to invite guests to your hotel. Don't expect to get towels either, you should bring your own. Beds are hard and uncomfortable, no remote for Tv's, all spanish speaking channels, some hotel room doors do not lock. Take everything with you. If you are considering staying here, I feel badly for you. I would never ever consider staying here again. At this point in time, I am filing a formal complaint with Sunquest Vacations. In my rating, I would give this hotel 1*

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2006

This hotel seriously needs some help. The food was horrible, the bars were dirty, the rooms smelled bad... I must admit the staff was friendly but that is about it. The beach is so small and the chairs they offer their guests are very limited, not to mention, falling apart. I travel to PV annually and made the mistake of allowing my friend to select the accommodations this year. I would absolutely not consider staying here again, even if it were free.

Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2006

Three of us girls from Canada went down for a nice winter break. We too had read some bad reviews about this place. It is all in what your expecting. If you want a 5 Star place then go there.

We stayed Feb. 11 - 25. Our rooms were fine. The one thing they say is true, the beds are very hard. We got our lady to give us a couple of foam cushions for underneath. No Problem. Anything we asked for was dealt with the same day. Extra chairs, towels, facecloths. Room was always clean.

The food was okay. You can always find something to eat. The staff was wonderful. The Italian restaurant was the best. We went out a couple of times to eat. For sure go on the Pirate Ship at night time. Alot of fun. Be sure to go by 4:30 to get a good place on the ship.

We never had a problem finding a place to sit on the beach. It is a little small but you meet alot of nice people that way. Lots of activities to keep you busy during the day. Went kayaking one day, played bocce ball, water aerobics, etc. It's what you make of it.

It is night time that could use a little help after the evening shows. They could maybe play some better music in the lobby bar, as that is the only place to gather late at night if your not into going downtown.

All in all we had a great time in PV. I personally won't go back because there are other places to see but I would recommend this place to friends.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2006

My family and I jsut returned form the Hola Hotel, we were not impressed. The food was the exact same for every meal each and every day with minimal selection, also the rooms smelled musky and the beds were hard. It seems like no money has been putt into this hotel for 20 years and is due for renavations before services can improve.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Friendly Vallarta Resort? Share your experiences!