“Wonderful holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Friendly Vallarta Resort

Save Saved
You added Friendly Vallarta Resort to your Saves list
Friendly Vallarta Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 2.5 Blvd. Francisco Medina Ascencio, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Friendly Hola Vallarta Resort and Spa)   |
Ranked #32 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Winkler, Canada
“Wonderful holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We revisited the Friendly Vallarta after 16 years. It was an amazing vacation. I know everyone says this, but the people are really so friendly. The food was amazing, especially the club sandwiches at the beach, wow, i think i had one every day for lunch.
The place had not changed much except for the beach service, which it didn't have when we first visited. I realy like that part of it. The beach has changes somewhat, it's a bit smaller now and the water is deep, not as easy just to play in the waves. But we knew this before we went so there were no surprises at all. We had a room on the 6th floor, wow, what a view!
I know now why people keep returning to this hotel.
I would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: A room in the tower above the 5th floor is best, nice and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hi fw12345.

Thank you very much, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We have made many renovations to our hotel since your last visit, in the lobby, restaurants, beach area, meeting rooms, bedrooms and more. We are delighted to know that you will return soon, we will be waiting for you :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I travelled to the Friendly Vallarta with my mom and 7 year old son in December of 2012, and liked it so much that I returned with my son in March 2013. From the time we arrived until the time we left we recieved nothing but the most hospitable treatment. From the bellmen to the front desk staff, the beach staff (particularly Abraham), the servers around the pool (cheers to Kalucha, Carlos, Charly, Vicente, Double-Double & so many more - each one was great!), and most of all - the activities & kid's club staff - Karina, Caridad, William, Yaye & 'cookies'. I am missing many people who made the stay fabulous - including other guests, but these few were top on our list & the reason we will return in the future. The hotel is older and not fancy but it is everything I could ask for!! The food is delicioius & well-prepared. I am not a fan of buffet food in general, but at each meal there is one or two stations set up (depending on the restaurant) where you can pretty much order what you want, made to order - and it's delicious. My son likes the food at the Friendly better than any of the other resorts we have stayed at in PV - especially the pasta station! (And the pancakes made into seahorses for him in the mornings.) The activities staff are also part of the nightly entertainment 5 out of 7 nights, and put on a great family-friendly show each night, either in the lobby, the theatre or on the beach. Thurday night's beach show & HUGE buffet is definitely the best meal of the week. We hired a babysitter (Karina) twice during our stay, who we adore, and she came prepared with a gaming system and crafts for the kids to do. (A friend with kids also stayed at the resort & love Karina.) There is aquacize in the pool every day at noon, followed by basketball and volleyball, and poolside bingo. There are also dance classes, cooking classes, spanish lessons, bracelet making, etc etc. Oh I can't forget the ocean-front cabana were I receievd a great massage by the spa ladies! Never an end of things to do, and when wanting to just relax, the beach chairs are fabulous & have big squishy cushions (Abraham will set your chairs & cushions & umbrella up on the beach wherever you like!), and there is never a shortage of chairs around the pool. Some of the rooms have a musty smell to them, but are always very clean and a great size. Some have an extra seating area - loveseat & chair, some have a little kitchen - but all are nice. The only things a little off for me are the A La Carte, which I have never exerienced because children aren't allowed in. I do understand a need for a childless restaurant, but I think one a la carte should allow children in a child-friendly resort, and another downfall is that there is no outdoor bar where you can just sit around and visit - the outdoor bar is just one little hole in the wall on the way down to the beach here you can stop & get a drink. Great service at it, but it would be nice if there were somewhere to sit and visit other guests - we have enjoyed that at other resorts. ANd the only other strange thing was when I tried to pay for an extra night during the week, I wasn't allowed to, I was told to come back on the day of check-out & extend my stay then. (We had one of those weird middle of the night flights & I didn't want to check out at noon so I could let my son sleep for a few hours before the airport.) Anyways, in the end I did get to pay for another night in my room, but it was a little frustrating not being sure that it would be available until the very last day. But those downfalls are very minimal compared to all of the great features this hotel has to offer - mostly the staff!! We will definitly be visiting our friends at the Friendly for years to come!

Room Tip: I like to be closer to the pool and able to run up to my room often during the day without using the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hi ALopez99.

Thank you very much for your review! We feel flattered for everything you say and we are very happy to know that all was fine during your stay. We would love to see you again, please keep in touch :)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I absolutely love this resort! This was my second vacation here and I can't wait to come back. The resort views are beautiful, the staff are amazing, the food is great and the entertainment is fantastic!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Hi racedog24.

Thank you very much for your comment, it is always a pleasure for us to know how much our guests enjoy their stay, we will be waiting for your next visit to Puerto Vallarta :)
Central Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

First off, the most important thing to me is the staff and they were wonderful.
Had some issues, our first room was just above the lobby area that seemed to turn into a night club in the evening. When I was blow drying my hair in the morning, the blow dryer sucked my hair into the fan and chopped a huge hunk off. (there was no screen on the back of the hair dryer) Asked the next morning to change rooms and was told we could not until the next day. My husband said, take one of our arrivals today, give them our room, and you give us their room. We we told "we don't understand" (my Husband is a hotel GM). Anyway, later that day we tried some one else at the desk and we where moved right away. Food seemed repetitive and restaurants not open as advertised.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from lobby if you go to sleep early.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hi seniorfan12

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel, we regret the unpleasant experience. We hope you come back soon, and you can see that what happened will never happen again in our hotel. On the one hand we are glad to know that not everything went wrong during your stay, you will always be welcome at Friendly Vallarta :)
Lac La Biche
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Your average all inclusive, the name of the resort speaks to the people working there, they bend over backwards to make sure that you are looked after. My only complaint is the room, we were in the main building, third floor, if you do not stay up late, would suggest that you get a different room in a different tower, or go higher than the the third floor or you will not be going to sleep early. The food and and drinks were what you would expect, every night there was a different choice of meat at the carving station.
On a different note if you travel to Mexico for the first time be on the watch for time share people, they lurk everywhere, including the airport. Once you leave security at the airport you will enter into a large room with lots of people dressed in white shirts, they will have name badges on them which will fool you into believing that they work for the many tourist companies, keep walking or you will get sucked into doing a time share presentation. There re time share people on corners downtown, they stand in front of hotels and will casually start up a conversation.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first three floors in the main building if you do not stay up late.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Bcnllb.

We enjoyed very much to read your review, thank you very much! For us it is a great reward to know how much you enjoyed your stay, hope to see you soon :)
Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

There are many good things about the property and a few things that could use improvement. The staff could not be more friendly or helpful.
The property is extremely clean - they are constantly mopping and cleaning. If someone drips or spills something on the floors or elevators they clean immediately.
Our room was spacious and had a great view of the pool and ocean. Ask for room 4112 you won't be disappointed.
The food was generally very good: great breakfast buffet including made to order eggs; buffet lunch was good though a little repitious; our only visit to the ocean side snack bar was disappointing. The ala carte restaurant had great food - our only complaint here was that there was only one ala carte but you can go every evening if you wish. We would have liked a few more options.
The biggest disappointment was the state of the lounge chairs by the pool and ocean. They are in serious need of replacing having said that the beach itself is spectacular.

Room Tip: Higher up in the main tower facing the ocean is best for view, less noise from below.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi gmtravellers.

We are pleased to know how much you enjoyed your holiday with us! Every detail we do is for our guests, to live an unforgettable holiday, thank you for your suggestions. We hope to see you soon :)
Cochrane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

another great vacation in PV! Our 4th time to the area and love it every time! This property was excellent in every way - great service, great food with a change to the buffet every day and loved those special treats poolside (fresh doughnuts and churros made to order!) Very easy to get around to all the possible adventures available (we recommend the Rhythms of the Night, the Pirate ship, whale watching by sailboat, and we loved the day trip to San Sabastian) The resort always has something going on and the staff were the more "friendly" anywhere we've been! Wish we could have stayed longer! We'll be back!

Room Tip: get into the main tower - the higher the floor the better view of PV and the whole bay. Take advant...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi karenstargazer.

Thank you very much for your review! We feel flattered for everything you say. We would love to see you again, please keep in touch :)

Been to Friendly Vallarta Resort? Share your experiences!