“A Place Many Guests Return To!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Friendly Vallarta Resort

Save Saved
You added Friendly Vallarta Resort to your Saves list
Friendly Vallarta Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 2.5 Blvd. Francisco Medina Ascencio, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Friendly Hola Vallarta Resort and Spa)   |
Ranked #29 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Calgary, Canada
“A Place Many Guests Return To!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I just returned from a one-week vacation at the Friendly Vallarta (Jan. 12-19). This was my 3rd time that I chose to stay here out of five visits to Puerto Vallarta. I chose this resort because it was the only one in the past that both my wife and I have ever returned to for a second visit. Unfortunately, my wife passed away 5 months ago and one thing that I chose to do to honor her is to return here once again to relive so many fond memories I have of us being here.
We have always enjoyed the friendliness of the staff at this resort. It is no wonder that so many reviews refer to this fact as the #1 reason to come here. They come to know you personally in no time at all, and go out of their way to see how things are going whenever they see you. I was dealing with a great deal of saddness with the recent loss of my wife and they showed so much compassion and took the time to talk to me to make sure I was handling it OK. In particular I want to thank Jasmine for the time she shared with me to make sure that she could brighten up my day.
Another great reason to chose this resort is the location and the views. All rooms are ocean-view and the higher you go the greater the view of the beautiful beaches of Puerto Vallarta. It is also very close to many other ammenities and sights either by walking or a short bus ride.
My third reason for highly recommending Friendly Vallarta is the ease of meeting new friends at the resort during your stay. Part of the reason for this is that so many guests are return visitors and they love to check with others to see if this is their first time or if they have been here before. Considering that I was alone this time it was very important for me to be able to connect with others during my stay, and I came to enjoy the company of many and I am thankful to them all.
So, to all the staff at the Friendly, thank you for a wonderful time and please keep up the great reputation you have rightly earned.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Hi KenP487.

First of all, we are sorry for your loss, it was a pleasure for us to share beautiful moments with you. Thank you for sharing your experience it will be really helpful to others. Your review is marvelous and we feel very flattered to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Feel free to visit us anytime :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
imacsal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was looking for a GREAT AFFORDABLE all inclusive vacation for myself and my girlfriend (Jan 8 -15) and we found it at the super friendly, Friendly Vallarta Resort.

Yes, the resort is not brand new, BUT if you are going on a vacation with a budget and want a beautiful, RELAXED, fun time with lots of delish food to choose from and unlimited drink, with genuinely friendly staff - then this place is for you.

The size and energy of the BEACH as this resort is one of the best I saw from walking the shore for a mile or so.

Waiters are always happy to bring you drinks and food. There is always fun to be had on the property as they have almost hourly events to watch or be part of.

Some of the super friendly staff not only dance and entertain but teach some of the hourly activities such as yoga, learn Spanish, water volleyball, water aerobics fun, cooking and bracelet making to name a few.

William remembered our names after first meeting us on day one. A cool relaxed and helpful staff makes this place great.

I took my first bracelet class here on the beach and Susana gave me some instruction. I told her I was making it for my 9 yr old daughter. It didn't look great since it was my first time (although my daughter loves it since daddy made it!) and Susana walked over to me that night, just before she was getting ready to perform and gave me a bracelet that she made to also give to my daughter.

Sweet, fun, relaxed people can get you into vacation mode fast. : )

Some days we left for a large part of the day and some days we just chilled out on the beach.

I might suggest to the front desk manager that for first timers the front check in person take a 5 min presentation and shows a map of the property - to show guests all the choices they have such as where to eat, where to get free refills for purified water for your room, where the activity boards are, upcoming evening events, the fact that you have a theater and other details.

Thank you Friendly Vallarta Resort from both me and my Girlfriend for a great vacation!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Hi imacsal!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, we are very pleased to know that everything was perfect during your stay. We are so glad to hear that you were treated like you deserve and you enjoyed every detail in our hotel. Come back soon! :)
Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This location is close to bus stop into downtown Puerto Vallarta and walkable to pier and Walmart.

We were on 11th floor and had a beautiful view of pool, beach and bay. It was suggested to us to ask for a higher floor, great recommendation! We had a king size bed and Silvia, our housekeeper always made beautiful towel creations. We couldn't wait to come back to our room to see what she did for us. Our room was always spotless!

The staff throughout the hotel made us feel special with their friendly smiles and great service. Jose, the owner's right hand man, assigned a chef for me to insure I didn't eat anything with fish or seafood which could land me in the hospital. I felt guilty for this service but Juan, my chef, His boss, the Master-chef and Jose put me at ease.

The Gourmet restaurant treated us like celebrities with wonderful food and great presentation. The buffet indoors and out had more basic food even kids would like. During the day, there is food by the pool and near the beach so no can say they are hungry here!

We were there for 2 weeks over Christmas. There were many locals staying at the resort with kids but we had a wonderful time with these kind families. There were fireworks somewhere along the beach each night and lanterns floating in the night sky.

I was told in Feb. there are mostly Canadians on the resort. Maybe we'll give it a try.

The Mexican fiesta and dinner on the beach nights were great...all that food! Next time I will bring bug spray for evenings on the beach. I did get bites.

Nightly entertainment was an hour each night. Just enough so you want to come back and you aren't losing time for other things.

There are Spanish and dance lessons every day on the beach, so be sure to give it a try. The beach has a roped off area. Stay there if you prefer to not deal with beach venders. Venders were not pushy towards us and very polite. Roger gave us good deals and we will look him up on our next trip.

We ran out of time to use the spa services, although looking at the brochure, the prices seemed quite reasonable.

There is a place in the hotel where you can book excursions.
It is safer to book through them rather than from someone on the beach. At least you will know you will get a quality experience. We took the tequila tour. It was the best $20 per person I ever spent. There is a lot of walking as you tour the "old" P. Vta so be prepared, but Freddy, our tour guide, had so much knowledge and history, I didn't care.

We met people who have gone there for years...and now I have discovered why.

All in all, the staff are really putting themselves out there to be sure you have a great "Friendly" experience during your stay.

We came home feeling very relaxed and will be back as soon as we can. We already miss our new Friendly family.

Room Tip: As for a high floor. 8 and up. It would be in main building.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hi gertp_11!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, we are pleased that you enjoyed your holiday and to know that everything was excellent during your stay. We hope to see you soon! :)
Steinbach, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We just got back from 10 days (7-17) at the Friendly Vallarta and traveled with two other couples and we were blown away by the staff at this resort. All of us combined have been to many other resorts (including 4.5-5 stars) and we never experienced genuine service like this! The management here has definitely hired the right staff here to make sure your stay is enjoyable. This resort is also smaller which is nice because you always see familiar faces of staff (always smiling). Have to make a shout out to Vincinte, Sergio, Carlos! These were the main guys that made our time here the best!
There were lots of activities to do during the day. The beach set up is one of my favorites that I've experienced (in the hotel zone) with all the loungers & umbrellas set up right near the ocean. The hotel is dated and could use a bit of a "face lift" but more so on interior finishes, but besides that we found it very clean!
The breakfast and lunch (snack bar) are always good. We found supper and lunch were the same thing in the buffet but it was all very tasty. There was still the "a la carte" which was very good and "la fiesta" for supper also had a good variety of dishes to choose from.
The beds are quite firm compared to what we're used to at home but still slept well and definitely recommend 5th floor or higher both for noise and for an amazing view!!!
The only negative i would have to mention about this resort is how you can smoke anywhere (other then the restaurants) in the resort. In the evenings especially the lobby was extremely smoky and that is where they have their DJ and dancing. I personally didnt mind the smoke but my wife didnt appreciate it.
Location is very nice...one of the closest resorts to the airport and still a short centro ride to the malecon. We enjoyed are stay very much and would recommend this resort to anyone going to PV and want's the "best bang for your buck". It was sad to go but we can't wait till the next time we can make it back to Puerto Vallarta!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Sgjolli!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, and for choosing our hotel to enjoyed your holiday, we feel flattered with all you wrote about us and is very nice to know how much you love to be here in our hotel, thank you for everything!. See you soon! :)
Arborg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Just got back from a week [Jan 09-16 ] at the Friendly Vallarta. We have stayed there for the past 5 years. All the staff are exceptional and are more than willing to do what ever to make your stay the Best it can be. Monica, Sergio and Carlos always have a smile and a cheerfull greating for us every morning and have become good friends over the years. I would highly recommend this resort , the rooms are spacious and clean , the view from the upper floors is great and the food is good. We will be back next year

Room Tip: Higher rooms in the tower building have the best views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hi MarvinJ_13!

It was wonderful for us to read all about your experience with us. Thank you for sharing this review, it will be helpful to others. We are pleased to know how much you enjoy our hotel. Please feel free to come back anytime! :)
manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Just returned from a stay at the Friendly resort and spa in Puerta vallarta, mexico. I really liked the resort, and the room on the 11th floor facing the ocean was beautifull. I would definitely go back and highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to PV.The moment we arrived the staff were polite and greeted us with smiles and a welcome refreshment.

Room Tip: Choose aroom above the 5th floor as i heard it can be noisy from floors 3 or lower in the evening fr...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi sandyhaven!

We are delighted to read about your experience, sure this will be really helpful for our future guests. Thank you for staying here with us, we would love to welcome you back anytime! :)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This resort appears in different web sites and publications as anything from a three star to four star.

The resort has clearly some age and would benefit from some refurbishment and renovation, but this should not detract from the excellent staff and more than adequate food and beverage managed by Jose Luis Ortega.

To understand the reputation of this resort the average visitor I spoke to have returned more than five times. There is a loyalty build on the good nature of staff, good food and the carefully planned and diverse entertainment.
One day there was rain, out came projector screens and movies were run to occupy guests. The theatre was used for the traditional Mexican fiesta which was a great success , the broadway show was very professional, the beach party had a very civilzed dinner dance that had great attendance. No complaints.

The staff made sure that your needs were catered to at all times.

Food was more varied than other all inclusive resorts and fresh coffee replaced standing coffee in the lobby, fresh as you would get at any coffee shop .

I would like to see the lobby furniture recovered, and the painters to clean up paint runs etc, but these are minor details of was a very pleasant resort, this may be why it does not always get a firm four star rating . It is kept extremely clean and care is given in all aspects of service.

You may know this as the Qualton or Hola two of its past names. The management now certainly has their act together and is out for repeat business.

Room Tip: Go for the superior room at higher level. Ours was floor and and had a tremendous view, state if yo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Hi gordon786!

Thank you for sharing your experience, was very nice to read. We are very happy to know you enjoyed every moment at our hotel, our goal is that all our guests enjoy their vacation. Hope to see you soon! :)

Been to Friendly Vallarta Resort? Share your experiences!