“Great Location - Lives Up To Its Name” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Friendly Vallarta Resort

You added Friendly Vallarta Resort to your Saves list
Friendly Vallarta Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 2.5 Blvd. Francisco Medina Ascencio, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico (Formerly Friendly Hola Vallarta Resort and Spa)   |
Ranked #31 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vancouver, BC
“Great Location - Lives Up To Its Name”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Great location & service, food was better than expected. Hotel pools and beach area were in great shape, however the hotel itself could use some updating and/or maintenance. Excellent value, worth another visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Hi DBIT!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, we are so happy to know that everything during your stay was perfect! This review will be really helpful to others. We have done lots of improvements in all our hotel many things like: remodeled our rooms, we build new bathrooms at the beach, we remodeled the lobby area and also restaurants, a new beach kinds club, we have a new pool exclusive for adults and 2 jacuzzis, among other things. All this to satisfy our guests. We hope you come back soon, you will always be welcome :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I enjoyed staying here so much last year for my first trip ever! I am going back again this year! Last year my boyfriend proposed to me! It was so beautiful!!! The food was great, our rooms were awesome, the staff was amazing and very friendly, it was very hard to leave! Can't wait to go back! Thank you friendly for everything!

• Stayed January 2012
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Hi Mykidsmylife4!

Thank you so much for all! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your vacation, finally that's one of the things that we want for all our guests. Please feel free to visit us anytime, see you soon! :)
Waterloo ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Well we chose this resort and had a great time. As a lot of people have stated it does earn its name of friendly. We have stayed in other resorts but this is the first one that the workers go so far out of their way to make sure you enjoy your stay.
If I had any complaint at all it would be the fact that no two bartenders could make the same drink the same way lol however this just gives you an excuse to try different drinks and have had this same problem at every resort I have ever stayed at.
The resort is in a great location being central to everything and if you go I would highly recommend Nolit Tours as the two reps they had in the lobby made this experience so much better with a few free tours offered as well. Thank you Angelica and Phillip!
The reviews on here explain this place to a T so go and enjoy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Hi djrocs88!

Thank you so much for your review, we feel really flattered. All your words are a great reward to us. We hope to see you soon! :)
Vernon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This was our first all inclusive vacation and after two weeks at the Friendly, we are looking forward to the next one! The location is convenient with frequent and cheap bus service at the front gate. The hotel is starting to show it's age but is kept absolutely spotless by the Friendly staff. This resort is not afraid to hire a lot of great staffers to look after their guests in the restaurants, on the beach and in the hotel proper.This was a great value vacation. On the negative side, the music in the lobby bar is too loud and goes on too late, make sure your room in the tower is high enough and well away from the late night action in the lobby.

Room Tip: In the tower in the North end at least 6th floor or better
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Xpeg!

Thank you very much for being with us, we are so glad to hear that enjoyed your stay and all our staff treated you like you deserve. We regret the inconvenience with the music, thanks to your opinions, we have done something about it so that all our guests enjoy the evening in the way they prefer, resting or having fun. We would love to see you soon :)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

In spite of a few shortcomings, I have to say that this is a fabulous resort and it is because of the amazing and extremely hard-working staff that I am able to make that statement. I have travelled a lot, and stayed in a variety of accomodations, from bed and breakfasts to Cuban casas to 2 star hotels and right through to 5 star accomodations. I have never encountered service of this caliber before. Everyone, and I mean everyone, had a smile on their faces and they could not do enough for you. If they offered you something and you declined, they were genuinely disappointed. They all work so hard every day, to keep the resort extremely clean, to offer you first class food and drinks, and to give you the best customer service possible. We even received hugs from staff members on our last day there!

Our room (#3209), although a little tired, was extremely clean and comfortable. The beds and bedding appeared to be quite new. The room was very large, with a writing table, a seating area and a large balcony with a fabulous pool and ocean view. However, our room was not even close to being quiet enough for our enjoyment and this really made a disappointing impact on our stay. Although we were 3 floors above the lobby bar, we were directly above it and music blasted out until 1 am every. single. night. It was so loud we couldn't hear the TV in our room. We literally prayed for 1 am every night so we could get some sleep. As a previous poster stated, DO NOT ACCEPT a room above the lobby bar!!

The food and drinks were very good. We never had a bad meal. It would have been nice to see a little variety from day to day - the breakfast buffet was almost identical all week. But the food that was offered was fresh and fabulous, every day. The weekly beach party dinner which we attended was outstanding, I couldn't believe the incredible array of salads, breads, main dishes and desserts. It was fantastic.

There were many activities offered to guests every day - from bartending classes to Spanish classes to towel art classes to yoga to dance lessons and more. They even had blackjack on the activity list! With beach and pool volleyball, water aerobics and a full gym there were plenty of choices of activities to keep you fit, too. Staff really went out of their way to engage you in the activities on offer. The pools and jacuzzis were nice and they were extremely clean. I know because I watched the maintenance guys clean them every morning and evening. I really loved that there was an "adults only" pool so I wasn't bothered by splashing and noisy kids. Staff were always available to bring another drink to you in the pool, if you wanted one.

I used the services of the spa twice during my one week stay. The services offered are wonderful, as are the staff providing them. Laura especially really worked hard to help ease the pain of my out-of-place neck and she was able to make the remainder of my vacation painfree for me. Hats off and muchas gracias to you!

We had to request the services of a maintenance man during our stay, when our toilet stopped working. One call to the front desk was all it took. A young man arrived within 2 minutes and had the toilet working fine in a matter of minutes.

My issues? As mentioned, the noisy rooms above the lobby bar are absolutely hopeless. Something needs to be done there, or those rooms should not be rented out. A second issue is that the hotel advertises that they have food and beverages available 24 hours a day. They do not. The lobby bar closes at 1 am and after this beer is available at the buffet restaurant (VillaLinda) until 4 am. From 4 am until 7 am when the restaurant re-opens there is no food or beverage options. No liquor options (for non-beer drinkers) from 1 am until 10 am, when the pool bar opens. I'm not a 24 hour a day drinker so it wasn't an issue for me but for others it was. And I don't blame people for being upset if they come expecting to be able to eat or drink at any hour of the day or night and learn, after they get there, that they can't. This is false advertising, and it needs to be rectified. Plain and simple. My other issue is that the website says swim up bar service is available. Am I crazy to think that this means there is a swim up bar? Because there is not. Service from the bar was available to you in the pools but it is definitely NOT a swim up bar, which is what I was expecting and, frankly, looking forward to.

All in all, I had a really amazing stay at the Friendly, and I would definitely stay there again, albeit in a different room. The completely amazing staff will make me want to return the next time I go to Puerto Vallarta. I have to give thanks in particular to Sergio (aka Double-Double), Vincente, Ricardo, Victor and Laryssa. You all helped significantly in making my stay at the Friendly Vallarta a most excellent one. Keep doing what you do!

Room Tip: Request a room well away from the hotel lobby bar!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Camping_Girl!

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel, and for all the wonderful things that you say about us. We value your opinion and we will not contradict you, and appreciate your suggestions. Our service is 24hrs during 7 days and each day we have different food options to satisfy all our guests, we have chicken, beef, seafood, salads, pastas, desserts, juices, soda, water, etc. We regret any inconvenience regarding music, all our shows end at 10:00 / 10:30 pm officially, so that all our guests can sleep well at night. Regarding our bar "La Fiesta" basically says:: "Located poolside with sweeping views of the ocean this open-air bar". The information on our website is clear and without lies, we suppose you had a misunderstanding, but do not worry we will change the text to something much more simple, we do not want to continue creating false expectations. It's nice to know that you enjoyed your stay. We would love to welcome you back anytime! :)
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We just returned from one week at this resort. I had read many reviews prior to booking and it was exactly what I expected. The rooms are a little tired but extremely clean. Food was some of the best I have had at at all inclusive and we have stayed at about 8 with all but one being a 5 star plus. Food was better here. Staff is amazing. Food and drinks on the beach are plentiful and the staff is friendly and eager to please. Yes on the weekends there are a lot of Mexicans there but after all - this is their country. During the week the hotel was not crowded just on weekends. Yes the beds are very hard but I generally find this to be the case in Mexican resorts. We stayed on the 8th floor of the tower and it was just fine. Beautiful ocean view from balcony. This place is a great value in my opinion. Again, thank you to all the amazing staff who made our stay there so enjoyable. (front desk staff could smile a little more but everyone else could not possibly have been nicer)

Room Tip: Tower 8th floor or higher. Lower floors complain of noise from pool area.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Friendly V, Gerente at Friendly Vallarta Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Hi maggie10lou! Thank you!!! We love to read reviews like yours. Thank you so much for everything you say here on Tripadvisor, this will be really helpful for others. Come back soon! :)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Not the newest hotel but it is kept clean and the service is great. They go out of their way to make you feel at home and engage you in activites. Definatly would go back and is great value for your dollar.

Room Tip: I would pick one of the outside wings which are only 4 floors high and are closer to the beach
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hi BorntoholidayPG!

Been to Friendly Vallarta Resort? Share your experiences!