“Better than I thought it would be” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Los Tules Resort

You added Los Tules Resort to your Saves list
Los Tules Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd. Fco. Medina Ascencio s/n | Zona Hotelera C.P., Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #69 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Marin, CA
“Better than I thought it would be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were here in August . First as to Puerto Vallarta itself, we were worried about heat, rain and bugs, coming as we were in what we had heard was the hot-rainy-buggy season. While there was some heat, some rain and some bugs it was not nearly as bad as imagined. As to Los Tules, this is a good deal for the price. There is no luxury, however, three of us were in a two story, two bedroom condo with three bathrooms, kitchen, peak-a-boo ocean views and a large balcony ... plenty of space to stretch out. The ocean beach was not much at all, but the grounds and numerous pools were well kept up. I have heard that rooms in one of the buildings get a lot of noise from a nearby disco and late at night I could hear a far away thump thump thump from it, but not loud enough to keep me up. This is not a luxury place, and there is not much to do on the actual premises, but it was a good base camp from which to explore the area. The restaurant by the main pool has a very limited menu, but comes in handy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Walnut Creek, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed in rooms #1201 and 1203.Pros: Patio twenty yards from ocean. Excellent comarardere with couple we stayed with. Staff very polite and helpfull. Maid repaired airconditioner, see below.Cons: Killed four large cockroaches in two days at night.Had to spray room myself to keep bugs down, even though resort foged outside daily. Iimmediatley reported batroom fan and dinning room light not functional. Never repaired, nor do I think it will be, shower/tub ceiling moldy black and clothes line in tub very black with mold. On our arrival the night of 7/9/12 air conditioner went out a 2:00 a.m. reported first thing in the morning to staff and not fixed until the afternoon by the wonderfull maid who went to town to get new breaker. Used every towel available to seal doors and windows to stop rooms from thorouhly flooding the night of 7/10, Poor lighting through out units. Took one hour to brew a pot of coffee. Overall dirty rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

TERRIBLE! EXPERIENCE! STAY AWAY!!!!!
1- Once I arrived to Los Tules they assigned me a ridiculous studio! with no beds!! WTH?! when I had booked an average size room with 2 queen beds.
2- I have a 3 year old with the impairment to walk;therefore, we requested upon arrival a ground level room for wheel chair accessibility and the staff fail to provide my request... we HAD to work with the issue and we were given a room in the 4th floor with NO ELEVATOR. The entrance to the replacement room had additional spiral stairs; therefore, the lack of space force us to leave the wheelchair downstairs and shortly after one of the staff members called and shouted (with the most horrible attitude) about this issue, so I had an altercation with this horrible woman AGAIN that has never happened to me in any of the resorts/hotels I've stayed at.
3-The staff is beyond RUDE! I lived several years in PV and stayed at several hotels and I have never been spoken to in such an uncivil manner. There was never a manager on the premises and they are all incompetent individuals!
4- OHHH and I had my iPod Touch stolen! so I notify the front desk and they only asked me to fill a report!!!!! no replacement! no check! no apology!!! NOTHING --- Again WTH?!
Long story short! STAY AWAY FROM THIS AWFUL HOTEL!! ITS A JOKE!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mexico City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

It is a nice place to go with the family. Nice houses with moderate furniture. There is no luxury but the location is great. There are plenty of pools around which avoids to have full pools

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We just returned from a 6 persons (2 adult - 4 kids (ages 14-22) family vacation of 7 nights RCI exchange in a 3 bedroom - 3rd/4th story unit in building 6 overlooking the main pool and ocean. We were concerned about PV rainy season that starts in June and weather.com showed 60% thunderstorms / rain every day. What it doesn't say is .... weather is mainly sunny all day (hot / humid - great for poolside) and you get amazing lighting/thunder shows at night -- ONLY BUMMER is lots of mosquitos. It is definitely off season for US / CN tourists and most guests were Mexican.

Location: Los Tules is 15 minute cab ride south of the airport (we emailed in advance and the concierge arranged for complimentary VIP transportation). It is beach front property in the hotel zone with a mall/supermarket across the street which was very convenient. Previous complaints of noise by building 6 are resolved because the adjacent night club now has a roof that traps the sound. You can walk to many bars, clubs, restaurants and nearby hotels. Just a few minute cab ride downtown/el centro for a $10, or more adventurous can take the bus for cheap.

Property: Very beautiful setting surrounded by coconut Palm treeswith traditional mexican architecture buildings and decor. The main pool is nice and located next to the only restaurant (only spot for free wifi). The other pools are small and private. I learned there are 5 different property management on property (so the front desk/concierge, restaurant, pool side activity scheduler are all separate companies). The units were spacious with nice living space, decent bathroom, big patios on each level. Interior furnishings/appliances/TV were average to fair. Window A/C units worked very well.

Service: We had a little issue at check in giving a 2 bdroom unit when a 3 bdroom was reserved. (we did not arrive until later in the evening). We stayed in the smaller unit the first night and RCI resolved it the next morning. We moved into the larger unit - inconvenient but resolved reasonably. Previous check-in inventory review complaints are resolved and you have 24 hours to turn in / verify inventory form. Front desk, bellboy and houskeeping all very friendly and helpful. Concierge is persistent in asking about timeshare presentation, but not pushy. We firmly said we are not interested in time share purchase and do not ask us again. Housekeeping serviced the room everyday.

Ammenties/Activities: Basically nothing but beach/pool & tennis courts. Pool Towel exchange is near the front desk - not at the pools. No room internet access. We did not use the spa or mini market on property. Only one restaurant/bar on property - everything we tried was excellent including the drinks - reasonably priced plus happy hour 2 x per day. Room service is available during open hours. Beach access is primarily public (access to non resort sponsored activities including wave runner, fishing, parasail, massage, beach vendors jewelry / souvenirs).

Overall - Don't set your expectations too high, be flexible and you will really enjoy this place.

Room Tip: Ask to view your unit before you move in.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Not floored and am even surprised that it rated a gold crown through RCI. But I felt it was comfortable and adequate for most of my needs.

Cost: booked through my MIL's time share system
Location: relatively secure...There was one time that the gate guard did not check our bracelets before letting us in. Also, I think that they rent out the tennis courts, so it's a more open atmosphere. The best part is that you're right across the street from the local grocery chain Soriana. It made it easy to fully utilize the in unit full kitchen. Downtown is a good 30 min walk at least, and the route is not shaded or very pretty. However, there are multiple bus stops en route that can take you to Malecon for 6.5 pesos...or Pitillal or Walmart, which by the way, is significantly cheaper than Soriana.
Service: Everybody spoke English and were helpful. We had to call downstairs a few times for a new water bottle (they provided the huge water containers for your drinking/cooking needs even though the resort's water is filtered...a nice amenity). However, avoid the time share people at all cost. They are at the small desk adjacent to the reception and next to the restroom. Don't even make eye contact. Seriously, after a long day of travel, do I really want to commit to a presentation which will only result on both sides being disappointed? Don't you already know that I'm only there for the free tours?! These ladies will chase you down. Seriously. And also, the city and jungle tours they offer are just a way to again steal away from your vacation time and trap you in a bus that will take you from one store to another. Take a taxi if you want to be driven around the city. I got NOTHING out of these tours. The only one worth anything is the harbour tour where they take you to Animas beach. That is a real tour.
Room: Stayed in building 4. And though I could still hear the club at night, it was not too bad. No central a/c, but I felt the units they provided were adequate. I turn off the a/c when I leave, and it cools quite quickly. Bedrooms were spacious (we had a three bdrm unit), especially the master. Kitchen was a decent size and included an oven, stovetop, microwave, toaster, blender, and most everything that you'd need if you eat out most of the time. However, since the downtown area was a significant distance, we ate in more often, and I quickly realized that some measuring utensils, bakeware, knives that actually cut, etc...would be useful. Still, I think the kitchen would meet the average person's needs. As for cleanliness...I noticed a few hair here and there, but it was basically cleaned when we arrived. O, and as for toiletries, only bar soaps are provided...also dish detergent and sponge for the kitchen. Know that you will be ask to take inventory of all items in the unit when you arrive and then have a housekeeper do it before you leave. Take that into account, since you will be charged by the hour for late check out.
Wifi: Only from the cafe, and if you're lucky enough to have a unit nearby, you might get a signal. I think the lobby has it too, but really, do you want to expose yourself to the timeshare ladies?
Parking: Free
Bottom Line: Adequate, and I'd go there again if I had no better option.

Room Tip: As others have stated, the farther away you stay from building 6, the better. Stay near the pool fo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

Pros: location is only a 45 minute walk to downtown, close to a beach, friendly service people
Cons: Giulia the timeshare sales lady wouldn't stop harassing us to go to a timeshare presentation. We had to avoid the lobby as much as possible. Everywhere you go people want to sell you a tour and a timeshare. The beach is meager. The pools are meager. There is NO WIFI in the rooms. There is a tiny restaurant that has poor wifi service. The air conditioners were loud loud loud. If you turned it off, it'd get hot quickly and at night you can hear a loud disco nearby and the traffic from the street. The kitchen oven required matches to light a pilot whenever you needed to use it. The stove was tiny. They made you spend 20 minutes doing an inventory of things in your condo such as bath mats and butter knives upon arrival. Who would steal a bath room floor mat? Then at checkout you had to call a housekeeper to come reinventory your condo to make sure everything was present. The hotel does not provide free airport shuttle service. But they will sell you a tour or timeshare.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Los Tules Resort? Share your experiences!