“Great Vacation and Fantastic Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center

Orbitz.com Booking.com
Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Boulevard Medina Ascencio 999 | Zona Hotelera las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48330, Mexico   |
Special Rate
$120 (USD)
Ranked #25 of 120 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Vacation and Fantastic Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed here during our first visit to Mexico. The location is great hardly ten minutes from the airport and on the main road of PV with close access to Marina, Down town and all the prominent places. The beach is a bit rocky, but the place truly boasts of great service and kid friendly spots. The check in process was smooth and all the staff were extremely friendly and were available always for any help. With a smile of course. The rooms were clean, the equipments are a bit old, but the huge windows opens to a beautiful ocean breeze with a fabulous view of the ocean. The pools were great, clean, the service was good. One should try all the fabulous cocktails available at the pool bar. The internet connectivity in the room is bad and one has to go to the lobby or restaurant or pool area for access. Food was good, but if you are a vegetarian one may struggle a bit with very limited options. the Breakfast is good and the service is friendly. We choose to have mostly the breakfast or the occasional dinner at the hotel and since downtown or romantic area is close, you may try different restaurants for some fabulous options. The Italian restaurant is a bit disaster with very slow service and cold food. The egg plant parmesan was super cold,and they are always in a hurry to clear the plates even before you complete. The other Alfrresco restaurant buffets are really good. Its always a happening place and the lobby is always crowded with people, functions. The entertainment is good. The spa was very good with very friendly service and good value. The laundry didn't get picked up despite keeping it ready and have to call them always. If you like your tea or coffee with creamer and sugar, there s always a shortage of creamers. One has to always ask for an extra creamer. The same with shower gel. The Sheraton time share club which is in the annexe boasts of some fabulous rooms with great view and with nicer equipments, furniture and luxury. The concierge desk is so so wonderful and always ready to help oneself. Be it choosing the right restaurant or some local information.
Its safe all the time, secured always and hence one doesn't need to worry about the safety and security. The check out process was super quick and truly we enjoyed our vacation.

Room Tip: 13-15 floor rooms with a balcony and patio.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Ashok:
We are really happy to read that you had a great time in our hotel. We really come all days with only one thing in our mind, making your dreams come true.
We really want to sorry about the little inconvenience in our Italian restaurant; we will be improving our service in order to treat you like you deserve it.
We really want to see you again in our resort, enjoying a great time with us.

1,452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed here for our 1st visit to Mexico. This is a great spot....good location....good restaurant...good food. The rooms were clean and well appointed. Easy walk to down-town. Take advantage of some of the local restaurants Well worth the money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Charli:
Thank you for giving us this great review. We are glad to read that our hotel was of your total agreement; we really want to see you again with us.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed on the "22nd" floor, huge windows opened to a beautiful ocean breeze, fantastic view. Room was clean, beds comfortable, a bit of a musty smell but thats to be expected. Pools were warm and clean, service at the pool bars was OK...not great. Drinks overall were good, the best were in the lobby bar. The girls in there were excellent! Food was good overall, they could have a few more fresh veggies, but we only ate breakfast at the buffet (omelettes were super fresh), the outside grill and lobby bar for lunch and a la carts for dinner. Our favorite was the Mexican. Room service menu is extensive and everything we had was delicious. Location to town, very convenient.
Room for improvement....the seafood restaurant, we left after sitting for 20 minutes without being brought so much as a glass of water. The waiters just gave off a really negative vibe, never went back. We were told we needed to make reservations for the a la carts but only did the second night. Because not all of the restaurants were open I suppose, they should have explained this to us when we checked in, the first night the buffet closed at 5 and we thought we needed a reservation, so we ate in the lobby bar because we thought it was our only option other than room service. The fiesta was a bit of a dud. Food was similar to the buffet, I asked specifically what time the entertainment started and was told it was intermittent from 7PM on. It was from 8-9pm. The dancing and singing was entertaining. Perhaps our biggest issue was with the doors slamming all hours of the day. Because the resort is open to the environment it creates a vacuum in the rooms. When there is any wind the doors catch and if your not careful slam shut. This happens all hours of the day and night. If guests were considerate they would try not to let it happen, Unfortunately our neighbours didn't care and would let the doors bang shut everytime, at all hours. Now I don't think it would be a difficult fix for the resort to put rubber stoppers of some kind on the doors to eliminate the problem. By the end of our stay it had become extreamly annoying. Enough said! The spa is overpriced, we had 2 treatments and both were lack luster.

I would like to say overall we had a great time. For the price it was great value, Food was very good. You can't help but relax with all that sunshine! I don't know that I would stay here again, strictly because of the door issue. But if that was resolved I would definitely go back.

Dear Mac:
We want to thank the time you take for doing this review, we appreciate it. We really love to read that our food and beverages were nice and the attention you received were excellent.
We are sorry about the treatment you received in our seafood restaurant; we assure you that those things will never happen again. In the other hand, we will be taking care of the doors problem in order to offer you more relaxing time.
We really want you to see you again in our resort.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This review will be a little long, so if you are looking for the TL:DR version of this ... perfectly acceptable resort with a slightly upscale feel. Beach and Internet are fairly poor but available, food is mediocre, indoor bar is small and timeshare salespeople are a blight. On the upside - pools are beautiful, great location, beautiful views and very pleasant and earnest people abound.

Location - This is centrally located between the airport and Old Town. Others say you can walk to these places, but I think that's a little optimistic. You'll be trudging through a few miles of nothing. Get a cab instead.

Transportation - Cabs are everywhere. They are all Mid 90's Nissan Tsurus (Sentras). Most are clean, all are cheap. Airport to Hotel = 200 pesos (Federales tack on an extra fee). Hotel to Airport = 100 pesos. Around town = 50-70 pesos. Tip 10-20 pesos, all will be very grateful. Busses are nothing (under 10 pesos), my elderly mother got up and used them, I'm sure you can figure it out. There are also newer model cabs, vans and car services. I probably paid $75 total to get 3 people around town constantly for a week. Well worth the fees and cheaper than renting a car.

Roads - A nice highway system from the Airport to the hotel that will take you 15 minutes travel. There's a very old cobblestone system in town. It also floods during heavy rains. It will take you twice as long to go half as far in town.

Weather - I hear the weather is usually nice! I wouldn't know. I got 5 days of clouds and rain. I won't fault the hotel for that. But just know it DOES rain, and it comes on fast and sometimes for hours at a time.

Rooms - We had two rooms, one on the 19th (non-club) and the other on the 22nd (club). The non-club room wasn't updated but still had a gorgeous view, it had twin beds. It was smoking and smelled different, but not bad. The 22nd room was much nicer with one comfy king. No smell. All updated and gorgeous view (they all do). One weird thing, floors start at 12, so for example, 22nd floor was actually 12th floor. Odd. Nobody but suites have balconies, but floor-to-ceiling windows that open fully at the top make the room feel like a giant balcony. Club rooms get access to the club lounge which is AMAZING.

Club Lounge - Free breakfast (hard-boiled eggs, toast, pastries, coffee etc). There is a server who is always very nice. Beautiful views (that you'll never see because somebody took the seats and parks themselves there all day). There are two wired computers (circa 2003) and wifi access. It's all pretty slow but it's all free. At 5, appetizers (buffet leftovers) are served. Nothing special, but again free. I think wine is free too. It's open until 11 and a God-send from the busy lobby and restaurants and hucksters downstairs.

Internet - It SUCKS. You'll get no service sitting on your bed or most places in your room. I was able to get a signal from the pool by taking my iPad closer to the window. There's semi-reliable service in the lobby, club room and by the pool. There's a pay computer room that looked modern.

Pools - Probably the best part of the trip. Two large pools, one for the hotel and one for the time shares (there's nobody checking who's who). The hotel pool is a bit nicer in my opinion with more room because of the lack of Jacuzzi. It also wasn't heated so there's less people. Views can be toward the ocean or the pool itself. A waiter will come along and ask if you want drinks, there is a very loud DJ who will announce useless events. Club music persists all day, sit away from the speakers if you can. The time-share pool was heated and thus more popular because it was colder out. Tons of kids and constant screeching. Jacuzzi is a little disgusting (greyish water). Both have swim-up bars which is a neat novelty. All-inclusives will sit there all day but there's always plenty of room. Hardly anybody swims before 10am but the seats get saved with towels as early as 7am. If you want to do laps, get there early.

Beach - Beaches are actually nicer than some in the area. In town, for example, it's VERY crowded and filled with roaming vendors who will pester you. Locals stay mostly away because it's the end of the beaches (there's a derelict hotel next door that they frequent because the beach is built up with no patrons). Sand, as you probably read before, is soft at the top, gravel in the middle and coarse in the water. Not exactly pristine white beaches with crystal blue waters. I would research other cities if that's what you want. Beaches were very underwhelming. A jet-ski guy will patrol the area looking for renters. I didn't see kayaks, snorkels or anything else.

Time-Share People - BEWARE THE TIME-SHARE PEOPLE. Aurora in particularl is annoying as she pesters you with coupons and "free" breakfasts. She and a dearth of salespeople will descend on you like a plague at either the desk beside the gym or the car rental counter. Frankly, it's downright shameful Sheraton (SPG) is affiliated with such scum. They will prey on you at ALL times. It's high pressure sales from the 80s. It's almost enough to knock down the ratings to 3 or less stars. You think the airport "shark tank" guys are a problem? Ha! At least you can walk away from them. These people never stop and they do it every time you walk by. Don't even acknowledge them, I know the locals didn't. They looked down on them as the pure leeches they are. I was the idiot who said "Hola" the first time out and they basically chased me down the hall. I finally said, do you mind if I just go to gym?

Service - THE REST OF THE STAFF ARE AMAZING. The bell hops, check-in, wait staff, bartenders, and concierge are all incredible, friendly, helpful people who should all be commended. I tipped them all well and they made up for all the rest. Top-notch in my books. My only complaint is that I noticed the check-in crew will make up things and not follow SPG protocol. We had to fight for normal platinum level amenities and our green points which they made a very big deal of.

Food - Mediocre at best, think Old Country. Far overpriced for ala carte (we didn't have all inclusive). Pretty standard cheapo buffet, burgers, nachos, hot dogs at lunch, just a tad bit better at dinner. Very little Mexican food. Frankly, I had better meals at the boardwalk from the street vendors. Prices are really high too. There's a few "high end" restaurants at the resort which didn't look very appetizing, I think it's all the same kitchen. There are thousands of restaurants in the city, venture out and try something new. We did and had some of the best meals ever, Vista Grill in particular was amazing.

Guests - This was 75% Mexican families. They are mostly upscale, some blue-collar. Second are Canadians followed by Americans. Hardly any young couples, but there were a ton of kids. If your dream is dancing to tehcno music by the pool at 4am surrounded by 20-somethings .. this is not the place for you. We didn't have kids, but my older mother was with us so I wanted something quiet. It was perfectly fine for her and us (people in their mid 30s just looking for a quiet PV experience).

Conclusion - There was a lot of complaining up there, but the goods simply outweighed the bad by a large margin. Just a few more thoughts -- don't worry about the airport sales people, one 'no gracias' and you never deal with them again. If you go to the boardwalk, you will be hounded by store owners. Even looking at them elicits a conversation. It's all a bit kitschy and their wares are all junk. I didn't find one authentic thing (all looked China made and started to repeat itself quickly). We went on two excursions - Rhythms of the Night and to Yalapa beach via water taxi. Both were fun in their own way. You should do *something* and those are as good choices as anything else. All in all I liked PV, but probably won't ever be back. I hate vendors, I loathe salespeople and I love long meandering quiet white beaches with crystal blue water. This had far too much of the former and not enough of the latter.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Room Tip: Get the club rooms. Take your device to the room window to get some internet access.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear John:
Thank you about this detailed review of our hotel, we will be taking note about all your comments in order to improve our services and facilities.
In the Rooms section, we are refreshing them in floor order; we are working in getting our rooms nicer and more comfortable for you. In the Club Lounge the wine is free.
The internet will be much better in a month; we are working in new antennas for having a better connection.
Please let us be your hosts the next time you want to come to Puerto Vallarta and let us demonstrate you that we learn from all your comments.
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed 2 nights in December 2013. The most memorable characteristic was the quality of the staff. Every employee was so friendly and helpful. Jacobo, the bellman, was particularly helpful, assisting us with some issues with our luggage. Every staff member we saw greeted us warmly. We were asked for feedback. There was just a real focus on guest service.
The beach was a disappointment, due to the rocks and undertow. But the ocean views from our room (and apparently all the rooms) were spectacular!
Our room was very comfortable and attractive. Notably, the bed was very, very comfortable!
The pool in the condo area was great.
We had breakfast and poolside snacks, which were fine, but I can't really speak to restaurant quality. We prefer to try local restaurants, and we particularly enjoyed the Trio restaurant in the old town area.
We usually prefer smaller local hotels in the downtown area or on the beach. In this case we were happy we stayed at the Sheraton, which was fairly close to the old town area. The area seems a little run down, but the hotel is very secure and well maintained.
The personal attention made all the difference.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest:
First of all, thank you for taking a moment to write this great review for us. We are always greeted to hear that you stay with us was comfortable, and that our facilities were fine for you. We love to read that due to our location you can discover many things of our beautiful Puerto Vallarta.
We will be waiting for you in your next trip to our city.
Sincerely
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I have been going to this Resort for six (6) years and have always had great service,enjoyed the view and have had wonderful service. We have made friends with many of the staff over the years. This year's trip was no exception. A special thank you to: Ramon, Rodrigo, Rosalio, Viviana (pool Service), Eduardo, Mily, Isis and Anjeclica (lobby bar) for making our vacation so relaxing and fun! We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Request a Ocean View w/Balcony
Dear Lynda:
Thank you for your review, we assure that they will receive your great words. We really love to hear that you are returning every year since 6 years ago!! We are so glad to know that you always have a great time with us.
We will be waiting for you again.
Aguascalientes, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We love to stay here since we were young. The pool area is fantastic. The rooms are really confy. The beach is a little too rocky...but, it is nice. The malecon area its 10 mins away walking. The morning buffet its delicious. A taxy cab to the malecon its only 50 pesos, you will get to the main street in 5 minutes max.

Stayed December 2013
Dear Ricky:
Thank you about your review, we really thank you for returning every time you have a chance. We really love to see you again and that you share your special moments with us.

Been to Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!