“Great Weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center

You added Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Boulevard Medina Ascencio 999 | Zona Hotelera las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48330, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Rate Guaranteed
Ranked #29 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
La Penita de Jaltemba, Mexico
“Great Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I attended a three day seminar this weekend. The front desk staff was fabulous; letting me check in 2 hours early and checking out two hours later. I was assigned an ocean front room without a balcony and returned to the desk to request a balcony; no problem. All accommodations were nice and cleaning staff were friendly. Internet service in the room/grounds worked fine and the buffet food/staff were great. The only negative is the person who attends the small convenience shop next to the seminar room; she either doesn't like her job or people as I found her to be one of the most unfriendly people I've met in Mexico; when I said buenas dias I received no response. before leaving I tried to get a reaction and said: bien dia; her response: okay. Same on Sunday. Wow!

Room Tip: I chose a room with a balcony just for the extra room to be able to walk outside. I had to look thr...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Jeanie:

Thank you for your great comments about our rooms. We are always improving our facilities in order to make your stay a comfortable one.

We want to apologize about the treatment of our associate; we all greatly enjoy working for our hotel and to serve you during your stay.
Greetings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Turkish first
Palm Springs, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We have been to Puerto Vallarta many times and almost always stay here. We love to sit on a lounge by the water, read and snooze. Rooms have spectacular, panoramic views of the bay. Location is perfect for an easy stroll to the old town. Take a city bus from the airport for 50 cents. Friendly, helpful staff. Clean and spacious rooms. The two pools are large and clean.

Room Tip: Try to get higher up for a better view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Steve:

Thank you for your advice and recommendation, we are glad to hear that you are always happy staying with us! We always work to make our guests wishes come true.

We appreciate your time to leave us your comments.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We've been to PV many times, first time at the Sheraton. It was a great experience for us and we would recommend it.

Great food (mostly Mexican off menu), good drinks and for the most part good service. I think we were upgraded, but it wasn't really explained what that meant with the all inclusive package. Angelica in the lobby bar was the highlight for us, she was a great server.

Because we were traveling on our own and we like to meet people in the evenings, that was the only downfall for us and would probably stop us from returning. There was no bar to sit at, just chairs and tables in the lobby bar, and we saw a lot of singles and couples leave early in the evenings being bored. Not a place for socializing, unless your with a group...they need a sit at bar....then it would be perfect!

We also were freaked out with the number of iguanas at the quiet pool, but by the end we were feeding them leaves! They were awesome.

All in all, This hotel is excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Linds:

We are really glad to hear that you had a great time with us! We want to thank you the time you have to write this review for us.

We are always working to improve our services and the amenities that we offer to our visitors, so we appreciate your review about our lobby bar, we will take note about your preferences.

We will be waiting for you next time you come to Puerto Vallarta.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Let me start off by saying I personally like to stay at a Hotel more than once before writing a review. I feel you get a true impression of how the property is run on a consistent basis. I just returned from my 2nd stay at Sheraton.
Arrival -Check in :
The front desk clerk was friendly greeted us with a smile and promptly completed our check in . . He spoke fluent English and only switched to Spanish when he realized we spoke Spanish. We were assigned the room we had booked ' Grand deluxe Ocean View '. The room met it's expectations , Very clean and presentable with the 'million dollar view ' we expected.
The hotel is over 30 years old , But is very well maintained . The rooms are simple in decor but in very good condition. The beds are comfortable especially based on North American standards. The air conditioner works very well ! The only negative is it does not have a fan speed control, Just on and off switch . The 32" flat screen TV has a very good selection of Local and American/ English channels.
Food and Drinks :
For those guests that choose the all inclusive package between the Buffets and À la carte restaurants and in house Menu and Room service . I am sure you will find ample selection of food to satisfy all your needs. My only suggestion to the hotel..Would be to have a few dishes in the buffet that reflect the tastes and spices of Mexico. I realize most dishes are geared towards the " Gringo " taste buds but even some " Gringos " enjoy some heat !
Please remember if you do like the selection at buffet you can ask for the Restaurant Menu and order from there. It does take a bit longer as the order is prepared on request , but well worth it.
Drinks are typical of any resort ..A very good selection Tequila's to sample.
Pools:
The pools are very well kept and lots of lounge chairs to choose from . The pool on the Hotel Tower side is typical with music and lots activities and of course waiters serving drinks . This pool does also have a swim up bar.
The pool on the time share side is much more tranquil no music and a lot less activities going on . More of place to relax and enjoy the atmosphere.
Time Share Sales Reps:
Time share sales people all over Puerto Vallarta.. Even at the hotels.. Their job is to get your info to sell their product.. If you are approached by someone offering to help or provide information. Please be blunt ask do you work for the Sheraton Hotel if not just say..I'm NOT INTERESTED ..Are they wearing a uniform that says Sheraton if not say i'm not interested. Any phone calls to you're room ask if they are from the front desk..Do not provide any info on the phone..Please remember the Hotel already has you're info.
Special Thanks :
I like many Charter Package Vacationers are at the mercy of the Tour companies that offer their package vacations. This time I was with Sun Wing Vacations .
I was fully aware that the hotel check out time was 12 noon and my flight was at 8:30 pm that evening. I do understand that some hotels do their best to accommodate a later check out and its not always possible . What i was not prepared for was that the all inclusive portion was also finished at noon . I have personally never experienced this as most Tour companies pay for the day of departure as well. This allows you do enjoy the hotel amenities till your same day departure time. Hopefully this will end after Sun Wing receives my strong complaint letter.
I have to commend the Sheraton for having such a Professional and caring Concierge Lu Lu who did her best to make our 6 and half hour wait as comfortable as possible . Even without the comforts and amenities of hotel available to us her sincere apology meant a lot to us .Lu Lu was also dealing with some very disgruntled guests from the same tour operator. I was impressed that Lu Lu also took an interest in finding out more information about the attractions and venues for Gay and Lesbian guests. This is more real information and much more helpful than what appears in the tourist brochures. I'm sure the information that I provided and Lu Lu's attention to detail and genuine interest in looking after all the needs of guests at The Sheraton Buganvilias ..Well done !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Pablo:

That’s a great review! Thank you for the time you take to give us these words about your experience in our Hotel. Let me tell you that every day we come to Sheraton for work in a simple thing… Make your dreams come true, we really love to hear our guests that they had a great time with us.

We assure that we will be working in that little things those were bothering in your stay, so you can realize that this review was so rich for us.

We hope you let us to be your host again in a future trip to Puerto Vallarta.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is a very good hotel if you are looking for entertainment, a nice view and comfortable rooms. It is huge and has a great pool, offers lots of activities for children and grown ups and is not far from Vallarta's downtown (40 pesos taxi ride / 6,50 pesos for the bus). I have stayed at a Starwood Preference Floor (don't know exactly what this means, though) and had a very big room with great view of the bay area. There were two full beds that were very comfortable. The toilet and bathtub are separated from the sink, which is convenient if you are sharing the room with other people. In the wardrobe there are an iron, an ironing board and a safe. The cable TV has plenty of channels (including US American channels). Air conditioning worked fine to me, but I overheard some guest complaining about his. WiFi internet works well in the lobby and ground floor, but is poor in the rooms (not only mine).
The downsides was the poor costumer service upon my arrival. I had booked my reservation online and somehow my Amex wasn't working (they only accept VISA and AMEX, no Diners) and the front desk made me feel like a criminal who was trying to stay at the hotel without paying for it. I was staying there on business, so there was no reason for me to stay there without paying. I had arrived in the evening, it was extremely hot and they not even offered me a water while I was trying to figure out an alternative. Even though it is a 5 star hotel, I would have had to pay for the phone call to Amex to check if the reservation had already been booked from my card, so instead I used my Skype account to make the call. They also told me that I had no right to have breakfast, altough the e-mail exchange with the sales person informed me that the prices included breakfast and I should make the reservation online, as I did. SInce the link wasn't available anymore, I couldn't prove that there were no options for booking a room with or without breakfast, which mislead me to a booking without breakfast (which makes absolutely no sense since I was staying at the hotel because of an event happening in there). It also took the hotel almost 6 hours to find a package that was sent there to me.
It's important to notice that the concierge service was kind and helpful, very different from the arrogant attention payed by the frontdesk.
Another detail is the food: horrible. I have ordered room service and the peperoni pizza they served me was the worse pizza I have ever had. And until 12:15 PM you can't order anything to eat in the pool area. Not even breakfast. I had all my meals in the restaurant across the street (called 100% Natural, a restaurant chain with many healthy and also mexican food options). It's totally worth it and much cheaper than the 400 pesos they charge you for the breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Laura:

We are really sorry about all the inconveniences you got in your stay with us. Unfortunately we don’t accept Diners, but we got many other options for our guests.

We offer you our most sincerely apologize and we want to have another chance to host you and take out the bad image that we build in you.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Moments after checking in we felt like we were accosted by one of the hotel staff trying to pressure us into the vacation club sales pitch ! Really ! we haven't even gotten our luggage & gone to room before this turn off begins ! We decided to book a club floor due to what we read on trip adviser. Glad we did ! Our butler came to room moments after we arrived to greet us with glasses of Champagne . We went up to the club lounge for a snack & struggle with the wifi . The only place you can get the wifi to work for sure is lobby or pool side . We're on the 21 st floor in the middle of the hotel , rarely works in our room . Very frustrating . Bed is very hard & uncomfortable . We spent our first day pool side which was another exercise in frustration . The music was so loud . We asked on several occasions to have it turned down , which would happen for 5 min then it would pound back up . We had to raises our voices to almost a yell to order a meal. Not very relaxing . This hotel has to really recognize that the majority of the guest are 50 plus & don't want that sort of atmosphere . Ordered nachos , what came was a joke 12 chips flat on a plate with a dab of melted cheese , a smear of bean, and a bowl of salsa & guacamole . The service staff are wonderful .from the maids to the bell men . The gym is nice & so is the spa . Very clean , a bit dated property over all.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Foodie:

We appreciate all your comments about the experience you had during your stay, we are very sorry for being inconvenienced during your stay.

We are always looking for excellence in our service and pleasant rest for our guests, that's why we always welcome all comments to help us improve.

We send our most sincere apologies, but not before asking to give us the opportunity to host you again in order to prove that their feedback was taken into consideration.

Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My mom and I stayed here last February for her birthday. Our flight was delayed so we ended up checking in almost 9 PM. Check in was fast, no problem. Our first night we ate at Gaviotas and even though it was only by reservation, they were able to accommodate us. I didn't like what I ordered but they were able to whip me up something else very quickly. We stayed in the ocean front club level room on the top floor. The view from our room was amazing. Room was clean. We had some trouble with the air condition the first night but they were able to fix it right away. We tried most of the restaurants and some of it were good and some were mediocre. A lot of repetition at La Villita which is a buffet setting restaurant. We sat through the time share presentation which it took most of our morning. They were able to give us hotel credits though and my mom and I used it for our massage which was a plus. The beach was very rocky. Pool was awesome, although there are only two pools. One located in the time share area and the other for regular guests. The pool in the time share is much peaceful. The other pool has a swim up bar. They really kept the hotel nice and clean with its beautiful exotic trees and plants. The location is ideal. Walking distance to downtown or you can take a short bus ride or a taxi. They had some activities on some days... But then again we also went on some excursions and visited other local attractions and restaurants so they probably had more activities on those days we just didn't get to see it. Ochos Tostadas is a great local restaurant to go to which is a walking distance from the hotel. I must say the food there was much better than some of the food they served at the hotel. A must to see when you're in Puerto Vallarta is Rhythms of the Nights. The boat ride to Las Caletas was very entertaining and the dinner was delicious. Overall this hotel is nice. Staff are very friendly and accommodating. A nice place to just relax and unwined which what my mom and I went there for. The only reason I gave it a four star was because of the food... Other than that, I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to families and friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Luis Fernando G, Social Media Champion at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Aileen:

Thank you for the review of our restaurants, we are working to improve our quality and exceed your expectations the next time you stay with us.

We were pleased to know that our facilities were completely to your liking, and you spent a great time with us.

Please the next time you comeback to Puerto Vallarta, give us the opportunity to host you again and demonstrate that your words were heard.

Sincerely

Been to Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!