“Beware iguanas!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Boulevard Medina Ascencio 999 | Zona Hotelera las Glorias, Puerto Vallarta 48330, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Bed
Ranked #23 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Kennewick, Washington
“Beware iguanas!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was the second time we had stayed at the Sheraton. Our room was very nice, located on the first floor near the pool (which we prefer). The staff went out of their way to help with any questions we had. Service was excellent except for around the Club pool. There were 2 waiters who seemed to enjoy chatting with the other staff and not doing their job. The only questionable part of our experience was having the iguanas at the pool.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear visitor from Washington:

We appreciate you taking the time to post your positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We will take into consideration your remarks and improve our staff service at the pool. In regards to the iguanas, I should add that they are protected species in Mexico, they are quiet and peaceful creatures that cause no harm, we highly recommend our guest not to feed them.

Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Sincerely.

1,635 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Turkish first
Guadalajara, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I traveled with my wife and a couple to Puerto Vallarta from the 13th to the 18th of September. We made a reservation to stay at a Condo with a related travel agency from Sheraton getting a great price in exchange of attending a breakfast meeting (BIG MISTAKE)

So as we arrived to the lobby to check in, we discovered that the reservation wasn't confirmed for two condos, just for 1 room not in the Condo Area, but at the Hotel, even though I paid in advance for it.

When the front desk tried to reach the supervisor (ADRIAN) he refused to come into the lobby to face us, because he was "BUSY attending other guests, so we have to talk with him over the Hotel's phone. My friend spoke with him and Adrian stated: "I don´t have the time to address this situation, if you want to stay at the hotel you will have to pay for the room or the condo, even when you paid for it with your credit card, and since it´s too late to call the travel agency (10 PM) I can´t give you any other solution, if you want we could take care of the food and things you brought and storage it in the Hotel´s kitchen"

Facing this situation we have to pay for one night at a condo so we could storage the food, and we took the other hotel room, which was kind of far away (5 minute walk) in a rainy night. Obviously at the moment I complain over the Facebook fan page of the Hotel. ( I didn't get a response till the 18, the day of the check out!!!)

When we were about to enter the Hotel room, I discovered, the Sheraton poor front desk service, gave me a room that was already occupy with a couple!!! I was in shock. I've been in to many Brand Hotels, and this was a shameful experience! The bell boy that was helping us carrying our bags, didn't even know what to say.

So we went into the Hotel Lobby, I tried to reach Adrian to obviously complain loudly, but another supervisor addressed me. I told him the whole story and he gave us an upgrade, that I did not request. I also told him that I was a member of the Starwood Prefered Guest Program, and that the fact that they gave us a room that was already occupied was something to be really mad about, and that a brand such as "Sheraton" should be concerned about the "QUALITY" of the staff they have.

The next day, the travel agency apologized for the whole bad experience and told us they have solved everything. We attended the breakfast meeting, and did the whole tour. At the end of this, they tried to sell us a "special" package to travel all over the world for $50,000 USD, which we do not buy in part of the bad experience and because if you really use the system you could find prices higher than what you could get over EXPEDIA or KAYAK, so pretty much is a CHARADE.

As said before, I received a message from the community manager till our day of check out, which really is a huge mistake for social media strategy, specially when you provide a service and you are representing a Brand Hotel, and worst when the Staff that is working is not help full.

At the end of our stay, I could tell you that there are better Hotels to stay at Vallarta, that really train their Staff to provide a solution for any inconveniences you could have during your vacations like the Westin Hotel or Velas Hotel at the same category and price.

The room that they gave us as a way to "improve their customer service" is great (Sheratoon VIP Floor) therefore I´m stating that the level of the sleep quality and the cleanliness was great, but I wouldn't put in danger my safety and my wife knowing they gave me a previous room that was occupied with another couple.

Rick Parada

Room Tip: Sheraton Floor Level Location are the best... the rest is awful.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rick:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous Sheraton Hotels have provided for you. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.

Thank you for your comments about the room reservation issues you encountered upon arrival, we would like to point out that, the Company who did your travel arrangements is not part of the hotel and we have not control on their staff services nevertheless, I will contact them to correct this unfortunate guest service experience. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel, so I can investigate this further, as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

If you have any further questions or comments, please let me know.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Had a great trip to Puerto Vallarta that included a stay at the Sheraton. We did not choose the all inclusive option which was a great decision because I found some great restaurants nearby including an amazing organic food spot across the street which was our staple for breakfast every morning.

If you don't mind a lot of walking, this is a very good location to check out Puerto Vallarta from. We put in about 5 to 6 kilometers every day exploring the city and all it has to offer including the nightlife on the Malacon which is quite the experience. I was intrigued by some of the smaller hotels in the Zona Romantica area which is a more central location that I may try out next time.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were decent but nothing extravagant and the pool was very nice.

Internet access at the Hotel is VERY expensive so I would highly recommend taking a 5 minute walk towards the Malacon and using the family run internet place which is 80% cheaper if you need access. This was probably the most disappointing part of the Hotel is the gouging on the internet access.

All in all it was a pleasant experience though and I would return again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear guests from Vancouver:

Thank you for posting your comments in regards to your recent visit to our hotel.

We appreciate your recognition for your detailed comments about your experience and for highlighting the strengths of our destination we are pleased we have accomplished your expectations.

Your feedback is important to us, so we can increase the quality of our services, guest experience and staff performance.

We appreciate your giving us the opportunity to host you again on your next trip to Puerto Vallarta and provide you with the best Sheraton experience.

Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I had high expectations for the Puerto Vallarta Sheraton based on the reviews we had read. The resort did not quite meet those expectations, though we had a very nice, relaxing vacation.
We stayed in a Sun Terrace room on the third floor. The room was not very different from any other in a similar price range, but it was very comfortable. The furnishings were nice, but not high end, which we were expecting considering the price. The bathroom was very clean. There were plenty of towels.
Our favorite restaurant was “Restaurante La Villita.” We ate both lunch and dinner there several times. Mario was our waiter for dinner three times and he fixed us a special dessert on the 3rd evening which was a lot of fun. We appreciated the special effort. We ate dinner in town the first night and were disappointed that our meat (beef and chicken) was tough, so we didn’t return. Breakfast was always the buffet at La Villita. There was a lot of variety. We usually arrived around 8:30am, so we never had to wait for a table. One concern at the buffet tables is that the serving utensils that people use were usually placed back directly on the food (fruit & pastries) instead of some plate in front of the food. This might bother you if you are a germ freak; I tried not to think about it. Service at the restaurants was very good and waiters were always friendly.
We used the gym a few times. There are several treadmills, other aerobic machines and a good variety of free weights. It felt good to exercise before a day of lounging & eating.
The beach was lovely. Beautiful soft sand and deep blue water. I saw a number of people “reserving” poolside chairs at 6:30 a.m. I think getting a chair at the beach was a little easier to find, in general. I had a holistic massage twice, which was performed in their cabana spa. The ocean waters were warm and refreshing. The atmosphere at the beach was more pleasant and quiet than the pool area. We were frequently asked if we wanted more to drink.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Sandy:

Thank you for expressing your opinion abou our resort, it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.

We celebrate you have a very positive impression on your experience during your vacation in our resort, expecially for the quality and variety of our food and for the singular service you received from Mario. We appreciate your giving us the opportunity to learn more about the service that our hotel has provided so that we can look to improve our process for the future.

Sincerelly
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

1. The Staff: They all seem happy and proud of what they are doing! Everyone greets you with a smile and is happy to do anything and everything for you. It was so refreshing to visit a hotel where everyone truly wants to wait on you! From the bell boys, to the pool waiters... everyone was so polite and kind to us! One day it started raining and we were under our pool umbrella. A waiter (Mario) came over with an umbrella and walked us underneath the pool bar so we didn’t get our bags wet! I was so surprised by this!
2. Their service is close to perfection. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. Someone was constantly taking our drink order, fetching us a new towel, delivering food to our lounge chairs, meeting a special request, etc. I've never in my life felt more pampered at a resort than I did at the Sheraton Buganvilias (and we’ve stayed in a lot of places in Mexico).
3. The level of cleanliness was unbelievable! From the pool area, to the restaurants, to our room... it was all very clean! We appreciated how hard the staff worked to make us feel like we were at home.
4. The drinks have real alcohol. When traveling in Mexico, I always have to get creative with my drink choices because it’s usually some knock off alcohol they are pouring. Not here! From Embarcadero Bar, with their collection of more than fifty brands of tequila, to their Carreta Bar, where they serve all kinds of exotic drinks, it is all good stuff! No counterfeit or adulterated booze!
5. The Food was awesome! We felt like we were dining in a 5 star restaurant every night. Whether your are into Italian or Mexican, you will not be disappointed!
6. The Beds! Our bed was more comfortable than my own bed at home. The sheets aren't scratchy, the pillows are plush, and they are clean! :) I slept so well!
7. The hotel didn't seem crowded, even though they told us it was 80% full when we were there. There are several different pools as well as a huge beach, so everyone is spread out. We appreciated feeling secluded!
8. No teenagers. Perhaps because of the price level, younger people tend to stay elsewhere. No one was being obnoxious, getting hammered (at least loudly anyway), or cannon balling into the pool. It was pure paradise and we met some really cool couples during our stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Carlos:

With great enthusiasm we have read your review on our resort, your gratifying experience is a compliment to all our associates who are devoted to service our customers.

It is our objective to be among the very best resorts in Vallarta and adhere to our guest expectations. Your kindhearted consideration explained on your description of the eight reasons for which you feel persuaded for our hotel services, is much appreciated. Your insight is significant for our staff and will contribute to excel our guest experience.

Please receive our appreciation for sharing your feelings with us, and look forward to your next visit to the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort..

Warm regards.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great hotel, excellent staff. My husband and I spent a week at the Sheraton in April. When we arrived the room I was disappointed with the room that I had selected. The staff did an excellent job showing me some alternatives and once we made our selection they moved us with no extra charge. This was our second trip to Mexico. Last year we stayed at the timeshare. The location is excellent. We walked downtown ever day and occasionally took the bus. We also used the park across the street for early morning jogs. Overall positive experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
buganviliasrp, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you for posting your feedback from your visit with us.

We appreciate your expressing your recognition for our excellent location, our hotel's accomodations and for the warm service of our staff. Your high opinion of our destination will encourage future travelers to select Puerto Vallarta when planning a vacation to Mexico.

We celebrate you and your husband had a wonderful positive experience and look forward to your next visit to our beautiful resort.

Cordially
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed at this property twice and haven't been able to find a better value yet. We go to Puerto Vallarta to relax, drink, swim, shop and enjoy the local art and boat excursions. Both times we've been able to buy vacation packages including airfare and a week at the resort for about $600 per person departing from Seattle. The lowest priced package I found recently was for about $750, so that means a whole week at the Sheraton was only $250 after airfare is subtracted. My favorite thing about this resort is the location. It is within walking distance to the center of town and is right on the beach. It has two great pools with swim up bars. The property is lush with tropical flora and beautifully built. The dining options are decent, but remember you can walk to town and eat at my favorite restaurant in PV in about 5 minutes. Sometimes at night they have live music outdoors, it is fantastic to sit out under the stars and enjoy cocktails and be able to just walk up to your room.

The thing I don't like about this resort is the food and cheap drinks that are served during the Sunday champagne brunch and the "Fiesta". While it sounds like fun, the lunch and dinner buffet food isn't great, I always leave feeling like I wish I ate somewhere else for what it cost. The daily breakfast buffet is good, but too expensive to be reasonable every day. The room service is fairly inexpensive, but the food isn't very good. I suggest eating breakfast at the Natural restaurant across the street, or buying your own at the store. The more formal restaurant on site has excellent food and wonderful service. The food at the swim up bar (La Palapa) is generally pretty good and inexpensive. Remember, a ton of great restaurants are just a short walk away.

The rooms have a bit dated interior, but function perfectly for my needs. I highly recommend getting a room with a balcony- that's a deal breaker for me. All windows face the resort and Bay of Banderas. The first time we stayed we stayed in someone's timeshare room, which I enjoyed. They even have rooms with kitchenettes, which I would like to try next time. There is a timeshare presentation you can attend and save 20% on food and drinks on the resort and some other perks. If you're interested in saving a little money, I recommend wasting the two hours it takes and just say no and be firm and just be relaxed about the whole thing.

In an effort to get a more intimate Puerto Vallarta experience, I attempted to find other places to stay for around the same price. While there are places to stay that are similar in price and location, I would have to sacrifice having air conditioning and/or having a pool (and swim-up bar.) I am not willing to do that. This is SIMPLY the best value for the price.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean or garden view, none face the street. Upgrade to a room with a balcony. There...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ana:

We appreciate your detailed comments after your visit to our property, we appreciate your recognition for pros of our destination resort for price and value and for for highlighting the perks found during your stays, we are pleased we were up to your expectations. We will take into consideration your opinion in order to upgrade our food variety and improve our guest experience.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you again on your next trip to Puerto Vallarta and provide you with the best Sheraton experience.

Sincerely

Been to Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!