“Great Resort and Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

You added Barcelo Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Zona Hotelera Sur Km. 11.5, Puerto Vallarta 48294, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 25% discount
Ranked #39 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Il
“Great Resort and Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

We arrived on 1/26/10. The Hotel is beautiful. The grounds are well kept. Several very clean and large pools, a jacuzzo. Staff were excellent, gracious and attentive. The Spa was nice, had a good back rub for $20. In our opinion the Food was very good. So many of the Americans were loading up on the kiddie french fries and asking for American food. This is MEXICO people. The food each day was varied and terrific. I think a lot of people just like to complain. We walked across the road to the Puerto Vallarta Zoo..a definate must. Bring your sneakers because it is a hike up the mountain but well worth it. My partner did the Zip line tour and loved it. We both did the Diana's Tours for a day and it was wonderful. This place was wonderful; intergenerational..lots of kids and adults of all ages. The guests we met were lovely. We will be back. Bring $1 dollar bills for tips. By the way, we are a gay couple and felt very comfortable here. This resort is mainly strait.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

I have reviewed a couple other resorts for Tripadvisor and I have always had a wonderful experience thankfully; but, I have finally found a resort where I have to say that I don't think I could get back there soon enough.
Let me say that after reading some of the other reviews I was a little skeptical but thankfully I did not experience these difficulties.
The resort itself is small compared to that of the other coast but that just meant I didn't have to pack a lunch to explore the resort. It was contained, well laid out and very clean. The pool layout was phenominal giving you one with a swim up bar, one for the family aspect and one for the little kids, yet all beside the other so families can enjoy all the amenities. The beach although not big was cleaned daily and very sandy. It did get a little rough a couple times but thats the Pacific side for you. A couple of days we did see whales right from the beach which was incredible.
The food was good not the spread I have seen at other resorts, but could definately find some great food every day and Alexis was fantastic and making sure you got what you needed. I heard one lady state " They call this a 4 star" "If I was in New York this would be a 2 at best" My reaction to this is well Sweetie head to New York then cause you're in Mexico and you're not paying 500 a night. It's hot, the pool is cool, and the drinks are flowing. Quick grab me another Margarita.
You're not gonna please everyone but if you're gonna compare a 4 star in New York to a 4 star in Mexico then do us a favor and go to New York cause we don't wanna hear it, we wanna enjoy our vacation.
The rooms were large. A one bedroom suite is where we were and it was huge. There was a beautiful balcony overlooking the pool and beach with two chairs and a table, perfect for those evenings to relax before bed or to watch the sunset on.
All in all, this resort was groomed for all walks of life, older, families, and even younger with just a 130 pesos trip to the bar area of Puerto Vallarta which parties til 5am.
I'm going back next year and taking my parents and children.
Carlos get the Margaritas ready.
My last word is if you're looking for a mega resort this isn't it. It's a fantastic smaller resort with a beautiful little Mexican town and a great restaurant right across the street.
Hope this was helpful, ENJOY!!!!.
LOL my last last word. Do the whale watching, fantastic, saw about 20 humpback whates, some with babies, dolphins and a big sea turtle

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
edelbach@goodhue.k12.mn.us
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

we found our stay very enjoyable, we did not understand the room upgrade.. from a single suite to a 2 bedroom,,, i know we were put on a higher floor,, so we had a better view, but the friends with the lesser view had a far nicer room.
we found that all the workers do a super job, most serving and catering to our every need.
the food is presented very well.. all the resturaunts were very nice, and the food was very good................. The wait staff don't push for tips,, we tipped because we wanted too........... the whole place is absalutley clean,
we enjoyed the pools , hot tub and grounds.
the shows were good, but the same 7 dancers each night , just dressed differently, And that got old
the folks in mismayola are very friendly,
the waves were crazy high, so not able to enjoy the small beach.
laura, gives the best massages on the beach,, for a very good price.
and marine.. gives a most wonderful boat trip to see the whales and fish.
our biggest complaints,, would be.. the invisable bugs that keep bitting,, they swell and itch you crazy,,,, more each day.. also would love to have pacifico beer avaiable,, much tastier .
we would come back if given a deal too good to be true........ but get rid of the bugs first

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

Great place!! Very clean and away from the mainstream of Puerto Vallarta. Food was as good as it can get for Mexico I guess. The Zoo is a must!!! You can actually play with Tigers and Leopards. The staff is very friendly except for the night bartender at the Cantina, he just ignores you even if you tip him. Try to have Olga or Katrina wait on you, they were very kind. Small beech but very nice. Oh, the two atm's at the hotel charge you a $40 service fee!! Bring cash!!!

arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

This is my first time to write a review so please bear with me. We recently returned from Barcelo after a one week stay. We love this place! Let me start by saying that if you are going for the beach, you will be sorely disappointed. It is quite small and the sand is rough. Trust me, you won't want to leave the pool area. All the rooms are suites and each one has a balcony. I have to be honest and say that restocking the minibar is hit or miss, even with tipping. I did learn that if you want more coffee, to ask for "filters". I had enough instant coffee to float a boat! The staff is incredibly friendly. Be sure to ask for Cain the bellhop downstairs. This guy will do anything in the world for you and with a smile.

The pool service is good but a little slow. They are very understaffed and these guys and girls are running their tushes off for us, PLEASE TIP! You would appreciate the same if you were doing the running around. The only downside of this entire place is the three specialty restaurants. You have to make reservations upon arrival if you want to eat at a decent hour. Honestly, the buffet is much better and the menu changes daily. The nightly shows are decent. I will not criticize them too bad because it sure beats the heck out of what I can do!

Now for probably the best part of the trip, Tony's Hideaway across the street in Mismaloya. You have to eat at this place! Take a cab for five dollars and don't be scared. It has sand on the floor and a view to die for, like having dinner in a treehouse. As Herman the waiter likes to say, "let me show you the paperless menu". Everything is brought out on a tray and you choose from it. Incredible sums up the entire meal from the "I glad I took a cab margarita" to the warm coconut pie and flaming coffee for dessert. If your lucky, you will get to meet Tony. We have never felt more welcomed in a restaurant anywhere. Chico's Paradise is good, but I would go for lunch. It has nothing on Tony's.

We have fallen in love with Puerto Vallarta and these two places. Go have fun and tell Tony we miss him!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Twin Cities, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

We stayed for one week and wished we could have stayed longer. The food was good at the buffet, we skipped the ala cartes but were told by other guests that they were good. I just prefer going whenever I want to eat to making a reservation. The rooms were beautiful and spacious, our suite had two closets with small dressers so we could unpack and not live out of suitcases. In most respects this resort lived up to it's reviews. Oddly enough, the pool bar seemed to have the only cold beer, all the other bars were a bit on the warm side.

I had read another review stating the guests were not playing the towel game here, but trust me, they are! The staff did not seem to want to do anything about this. I found it annoying that for the entire week I couldn't get a spot near the edge of any of the pools, but there weren't people there, only towels!!! Fifty chairs with towels, maybe 15 people at any given time. I don't mind taking my turn, but to lose out to a towel?? There are a few other areas to lay in the sunshine, which is what we did. No point spoiling a vacation.

The evening entertainment was a big disappointment. All the shows are nothing but dancing, and odd dancing in bad costumes at that. Ballet moves to rock music...yuck! Also the dancers were in clingy costumes, my husband was only half joking refering to the men as "the penis boys". We went each night, and left early, the shows rotate on a weekly schedule, so each night we were hoping for something different, there is nothing different.

One other major disappointment was the hotel running out of coffee for the in room coffeemakers. This was a selling factor for this resort, since I don't function well without coffee in the mornings, and a 5 star hotel should not run out of a staple item. There was none our last three days, when we asked I think perhaps they should have offered a free room service for the morning coffee. Thank goodness we took our larger thermal mugs with us, I just went to the buffett each morning and brought it back to our balcony to drink.

I don't mean to harp on the negative things, this really is a great resort! If you are looking to relax in the sunshine and skip nightlife it's hard to find a nicer place. It is a ways from the town, I found this to be a plus, others may not. The bus runs into town very cheaply, and nobody should go to Puerto Vallarta without walking the Malecon.

One other thing, the staff had the best attitudes of any resort I've been to. Perhaps it's the economy, perhaps it's just good hiring, but it was really nice to not be dealing with grumpy employees. Everyone from the front desk to the maids were cheerful and very nice.

Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

The hotel grounds and rooms are very nice. The staff is for the most part friendly and helpful (a few exceptions - the bartenders did not care to provide good service). The problem: food. The buffet style restaurant was horrible. As this is the restaurant for most meals this was a big deal. Food was cooked and then left under warming lights for very long periods of time. The quality of ingredients was below standards. We struggled to find edible meals each day. We would never return even though almost everything else was good or great.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!