“Enjoyable Stay at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

You added Barcelo Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Zona Hotelera Sur Km. 11.5, Puerto Vallarta 48294, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 25% discount
Ranked #39 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“Enjoyable Stay at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta from December 9 -13, 2013. We had an amazing time at the Barcelo Puerto Vallarta and would highly recommend staying at this resort.

We stayed in a Suite Deluxe / Room 1416. Our room had amazing views of Mismaloya Bay and Barcelo's lush tropical grounds and pool area. The beds were very comfortable. We left our sliding glass door open at night and could hear the waves crashing on the beach all night long. We slept wonderfully listening to the waves. We did not experience any bed bugs, and there weren't any mosquitoes in our room. We did get some bug bites during excursions in the Sierra Madre Mountains, but that's to be expected in a tropical environment. The minibar was stocked daily with 2 sodas, 2 beers, and spicy peanuts. When we wanted more snacks, we walked down to the snack bar and bar areas for fruity cocktails, chips, salsa, and guacamole, etc. Our bathroom was clean and the waterfall shower head was amazing. There was always good water pressure and hot water.

There are 4 restaurants. One buffet and three specialty restaurants (Spanish, Italian, and Steak / Seafood). The breakfast buffet offered a variety of American and Mexican cuisine. Fresh fruit. Fresh blended fruit smoothies. Made to order omeletes. A chiliquiles bar. Mexican hot chocolate. And much much more. During luchtime, we ate at Los Arcos and the snack bar. We loved the street tacos and tacos al pastor. It doesn't get any better than street tacos, a fresh salsa bar, and cold Coronas overlooking Mismaloya Bay. There was also pizza fresh out of the oven and a full lunch menu to order from (the ceviche is delicious). Dinner at the specialty restaurants was an enjoyable experience. There were lots of choices, adequate portions of food, and the quality of the food was good.

Barcelo Puerto Vallarta is 15 - 20 minutes from old town Puerto Vallarta. Taxis one way cost approx $15 - $20. Public buses are available across from the resort and charge $.50 one way. Barcelo Puerto Vallarta and Mismaloya Bay are destinations unto themselves. We enjoyed being outside of town and exeriencing Barcelo's serene, lush, tropical, and mountainous environment.

Every evening from 10PM - 12AM, there are live bands and live Latin music at the main bar. This music can be heard all around the resort. If you're a light sleeper, this may be an issue. With that being said, the live Latin music on Monday and Thursday evenings especially (The Chevre Band) played some of the most amazing Latin music I have ever heard. I love Latin music and Latin dancing. For me, going to sleep early wasn't an option. I couldn't miss the live Latin bands in the evening.

Overall, we had a wonderful stay and a wonderful experience at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta. Viva Mexico!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I was unimpressed by the amount of money I paid to upgrade to the premium club. Our room cleanliness was questionable. Ran out of toiletries and toilet paper more than once. The food was good but down the beach where Oscar works is better. The staff was nice, but not a lot of them around. I just expected more than the amount of money I paid.

Room Tip: My room was 419 and it had great views of the ocean
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Been coming here for 15 years and it saddens me to see what this place has become. The Fiesta was under the arches with large round tables where you could eat freshly grilled seafood,beef,chicken,and pork and socialize with other guests and enjoy the show. There used to be a sports bar where Don Quiote is and Italian restaurant behind the buffet a much better set up.
Pool area and Grounds are beautiful. Rooms are beautiful upgrading to premium club is worth it just for the upper floors. Buffet was horrible every thing is swimming in some sauce. No prime rib on prime rib nite. Don Quiote is bad I never had lamb chops the size of a quarter. Service at the pool is hit or miss tipping don't change a thing. Beach is coming back but barely.Overall I want to love this place for how I remember it but since Barceló has taken over I've watched it slowly sink to an all time low .my heart is breaking cause I wont be back.

Room Tip: 7th and 8th floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comments post on December 13th, 2013. We thank you for share with us your comments that undoubtedly make us better every day.

I would like to comment that since Barcelo arrived in Puerto Vallarta, we have categorized as one of the best hotels in the port. Year after year we make major renovations to our facility and with the sole aim of satisfying the need and suggestions of all our guests, that are our main goal.

Recently we invested a large sum of money in full and complete renovation of our main Restaurant "La Fuente",which is liked by the majority of our guests.

Note that we have a very good acceptance by most of our guests; valuations that give us every month are out best reference and also our main goal.

The most important thing for us right now is to reiterate our sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations because for Barceló Puerto Vallarta the main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve.

We hope you give the opportunity to Barceló Hotels & Resorts to continue working with you and we are confident that this time we could exceed your expectations and show the true service Barceló Puerto Vallarta offers and with which we are building our reputation.

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

The bad outweighs the good here at Barcello Puerto Vallarta

1. The grounds are very well kept and beautiful.
2. The rooms are very nice, clean and spacious but thats IT!
a. We travelled with 2 other couples and all three rooms air conditioning did not work.
b. The beds are covered with plastic under the sheet so any time you move it makes a lot of noise, and makes for a sweaty night sleep, even once our air was working.
c. They had 2 waters, 1 diet coke, 1 coke, 1 carona light, 1 carona and a bag of nuts PER DAY! They would not give us any more in our room.
3. The cove is beautiful, but when the sun went behind the south hill, the sun was down no chance of a sunset.
4. This place is pretty far from town.
5. THE FOOD WAS TERRIBLE!!! unless you love salt
6. The service at the pool bar, well, I wouldn't call it service, the bartender will ignore you untill you MAKE him acknowledge you by saying "hi" the clank of my plastic cup didn't get his attention.
7. The pool musice in the morning made me feel like I should have a martini and a cigar sitting in a lounge. I asked for more upbeat music and was told that it was managers orders to keep it that way till 11:30. The couple next to us felt the same.

With all that said, I still had a great time, as I LOVE PV, and the group we were with. And like I said the grounds were great along with the pool.

I can see why there were not a lot of people staying there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on December 12th, 2013. We thank you for share with us your comments that undoubtedly make us better every day.

We are very disappointing to not have met your expectations during your stay because for Barceló Puerto Vallarta the main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve, as we want they back home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

I would like to tell you that our Buffets are liked by the majority of our guests so they let us know in the surveys we carry out in the resort. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy our cuisine in spite of the variety of meals offered in our Buffet Restaurant.

Your feelings about the service you receive will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

The most important thing for us right now is to reiterate our sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations because for Barceló Puerto Vallarta the main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve, about the details that you shared will be corrected immediately, as the service standards Barceló Hotels and Resorts provides are very high and we want our guest back home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Over the top. The food, drinks, service cleanliness outstanding. Room 2315 was quiet side, very clean, romantic. We loved this place. There was always fun things to do and quiet getaways. The bars music stop around 10 PM.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on December 10th, 2013. We thank you for share with us your comments that undoubtedly make us better every day.

We really appreciate your preference at Barceló Puerto Vallarta to spend your holidays; our main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve and with the desire to visit us again.

Throughout the year our hotel receives different kinds of national and international tourism, such as couples, families and groups that give us good acceptance; valuations that give us every month are out best reference and also our main goal.

We trust to have you here again and give us the opportunity to show you again the true service of Barceló Puerto Vallarta with which we are building our reputation.

We do appreciate your comments.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

SunWing vacation to Barcelo PV in February 2013 was a NIGHTMARE. Posting this review now b/c all efforts to gain satisfactory response from SunWing & PV Barcelo have failed. My husband & I were unable to take trip at last minute - SunWing charged $500 to change tickets to my 23 yr old son's name. Did NOT tell us that NORO outbreak at resort had been identified > 1 mon before departure date. Son terribly ill by 2nd day of trip. He identified terrible food hygiene issues in restaurant. Hotel manager told our ill son that "he brought the NORO" to the resort .No guests seen in public areas - people on elevators spoke of many people ill in each of their parties. Son was quoted $200 to see Dr (he had insurance) but when husband, who is fluent in Spanish, phoned resort, the charge was quoted as $80. In meantime Dr. was telling all the ill guests that NORO was "traveller's diarrhea". In response to how he was treated my son was terrified of going out of room, of eating anything prepared on hotel property, and fearful of trusting hotel staff the entire week - he lost > 5% of his body wt during his illness / week there. I phoned the hotel management (I'm a public health specialist) to inquire re: cleaning precautions for NORO - NONE started until day 5 of son's 7 day stay there. Our Travel Agent's calls to SunWing rep in PV yielded only short visit - no offer to move to other property without NORO outbreak. Letters documenting situation to SUNWING travel went unanswered (except for form email saying they were looking into it) x FIVE MONTHS - then offer of $150/guest (for $3500 paid on vacation). This whole experience was a NIGHTMARE and the hotel management denied there was anything wrong. AVOID THIS PROPERTY - there are many excellent alternatives in PV. NEVER BOOK SUNWING - Google "SUNWING TRAVEL complaints" - our experience is unfortunately not unusual.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on December 10th, 2013, I take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology for the non-intentional incidents that you experienced during your last stay with us on February 2013.

Unfortunately it is right that in last winter season we had setbacks with a virus that it not onyl affect us, it affect other hotels of the area. Since then we have taken extreme preventive measures for such situations, same as I would like to comment we have not had in out hotel anymore.

The most important thing for us right now is to reiterate our sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations on your last stay because for Barceló Puerto Vallarta the main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve.

We hope you give a second chance to Barceló Hotels & Resorts to continue working with you and we are confident that this time we could exceed your expectations and show the true service Barceló Puerto Vallarta offers and with which we are building our reputation.

Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The trip started out great, friendly staff, nice accommodations, comfortable bed, ample linens and amenities in the room. Hotel was quiet and pleasant the first three days. Food and staff were wonderful. Then, then a convention showed up. The hotel was overbooked and there were patrons from Mexico City everywhere. It was agreeable during the day when they were out on city tours, but late afternoon and evening, the hotel was a frenzy. It was like spring break, ridiculous when one wants a peaceful family vacation. To add to our delight, the no see-ums (midges) showed up, and they keep giving us fits, three days after coming home we are still suffering from bites. Our advice is to contact the hotel before you book to be sure it is not overbooked, bring spray with Deet. On a good note, the staff was very friendly and the food for the most part was varied and fresh, with a few exceptions. We will not be returning to this hotel, but will return to the area. It is beautiful and the local communities were a pleasure to spend time with. We had Club premium, but never received our welcome gift. The Kids club was rarely open.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on December 4th, 2013. We appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share with us your comments.

I take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology for the non-intentional incidents that they experienced during your stay in our Hotel.

Throughout the year our hotel receives different kinds of national and international tourism, such as couples, families and groups, we regret that the recent group has disturbed your tranquility and relaxation.

We trust to have you here again and give us the opportunity to show the true service of Barceló Puerto Vallarta with which we are building our reputation.

We do appreciate your comments and once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Barceló Puerto Vallarta

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!