“Loved it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Zona Hotelera Sur Km. 11.5, Puerto Vallarta 48294, Mexico   |
Ranked #39 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Chicago, Illinois
“Loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I would go back any day! Beautiful views and the pool was awesome. I loved the swim-up bar and their yummy drinks. Shoutout to Angel for giving me a great time at the bar! Also shoutout to Antonio for making my vacation really fun and memorable. Loved the staff!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comments post on August 29th, 2013. We thank you for share with us your comments that undoubtedly make us better every day.

We really appreciate your comments, it is very important to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta to know we fulfill the expectations of all our guest as the service standards Barceló Hotels and Resorts provides are very high and which we are building our reputation.

Thank you for mention and remember part of our crew names, Antonio and Angel send you warms regards!

They will be waiting for you to give the opportunity to Barceló Hotels & Resorts to continue working with you and we are confident that we would continue exceed your expectations.

Best regards,

Rodolfo Pacheco
Gerente General / General Manager
Barceló Puerto Vallarta

2,596 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed in a privileged suite with our two kids, we had a beautiful view of the ocean. Our room was dated with a broken door knob on one of the bathrooms however it was very spacious and extremely clean, they also have incense to burn in the room which the kids really liked. Showers were great and beds were super comfy. I usually have to order extra pillows at most hotels but not here, super fluffy pillows of all sizes were on the bed. This was hotel offered a king bed in one room and two doubles in another so the kids were happy to have one vacation not sleeping on a sofa pull out.

I thought the food was pretty good comparably to other AI's we've stayed at, always something for everyones taste and really fresh bread and pastries (other AI's the pastries were stale). My husband and I ate super yummy pork tacos almost every day at the grill. The pork is carved off a spit and is truly delicious. I also got cappuccino with breakfast every day...YUM.

The shows were really good but pretty standard, I wish they had a casino night or beach BBQ of sorts. Also keep in mind if you do not speak spanish you may not be getting a service because the didn't understand. I asked housekeeping for lotion and was given extra bars of soap...so the next day I showed her the empty bottle and she smiled, nodded and gave me three. She then proceeded to try and teach me a little spanish when I saw her which was fun.

Service was outstanding, although I did tip but ran out of ones toward the end of our trip and didn't find that not tipping gave me less service. I especially liked the chicken wings that they serve poolside around 1pm everyday. Depending on where your sitting you may have to get up to score some wings however. This is also one of the first AI's where we weren't playing the snag your seats by the pool game although it was low season and wasn't crowded. The kids also loved their afternoon ice cream cone!

Beach vendors didn't bother us at all, we just said no thanks and that was it. We ended up taking one guy up for a quick boat trip to Los Arcos and the caves for $40, we don't snorkel so it was a bit cheaper than if you go for snorkeling...also they may adjust the price accordingly at peak seasons. Roberto was great! had plenty of bread to feed the fish and let our kids jump off the boat to swim with the fish.

The negative aspects (which is where I'm torn between a 3 or 4 star)... The kids club (on main reason I booked AI) was closed the first day and pretty spotty during our 8 days. Granted there were very few kids here but they should have offered a scavenger hunt or something while the painting was done in the club. Many times we went there was a be back in 5 minutes sign on the door yet 5 minutes was occasionally an hour. The women who worked there were fantastic however. All game room equipment had to be checked out at the front desk, that's fine but I wish our 11 yo could have checked them out instead of an adult. Yes music at Cantina is loud and goes till 1am, we were fortunate to be on the top floor away from it so it didn't bother us but I know it bothered many.

The one thing that really irked me (hard to do to me on vacation!)...reservations at the restaurants. We tried to get one our second night but were told they were booked...huh! the resort is practically empty!? I talked to another preferred couple, who booked for the whole week, which we were told we couldn't do. So I went back to the preferred club and not only booked for a few nights but was told by a different person we could book that night! On these said "booked" nights the restaurants had half their tables empty...

Overall I liked the resort and would go back, it was small enough that our 7 and 11 yo could go off on their own but find us when needed. The view is so pretty with the mountain and ocean. The bus stops in front of the hotel to take you downtown and the people that worked there were wonderful...except the preferred club. Although it was nice to be able to go in and grab waters, make a nice cocktail, or let the kids grab a little box of fruit loops...

The spa wasn't anything special as they didn't have the pools and saunas but the massages were great...

Room Tip: upgrade to preferred to get a higher floor
Dear guest,
I acknowledge receipt your comments post on August 27th, 2013. We thank you for share with us your comments that undoubtedly make us better every day.

I would like to thank you for your kindly preference and choosing Barcelo Puerto Vallarta to spend your holidays. Our main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve and due your review about your pleasant stay leave us very satisfied too.

We really appreciate your comments because with that we can check what is wrong and about the details that you shared will be corrected immediately, as the service standards Barceló Hotels and Resorts provides are very high.

We look forward for you to give the opportunity to Barceló Hotels & Resorts to continue working with you and we are confident that we would exceed your expectations again and show the service Barceló Puerto Vallarta offers and with which we are building our reputation.

Do not hesitate to contact us directly next time you want to book your holidays with us, would be our pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Rodolfo Pacheco
Gerente General / General Manager
Barceló Puerto Vallarta
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have been to many all inclusive resorts, but none has made a point of asking for more money every step you take. You can not even take your snack to the pool, probably they are afraid they might not be able to sell you their take out meal.
If you are looking for a place where everything promised is not there, you are in the right place. I saw advertising for a hotel fit for families with all non motorized beach activities included. as a matter of fact the flier you receive upon your arrival shows a man windsurfing right next to the part it writes about these included activities. I took 5 kids with me to this place, only to find a vacant shack on the beach with absolutely no one to answer any questions. everyone pointing to someone else for answer, never admitting there is none. On the 3rd day I managed to find someone who found 2 kayaks. Not to forget that they had holes in them and could not be used. complaining to the front desk manager did not bring me anything. He was still not admitting that there is nothing.
Trying to get some sleep? Forget it. The music in the Cantina is on full blast until 1 Am. If you are a night owl, you can still not stay in bed for too long, since early in the morning they start the music at the pool pretty loud.
Response from manager was the worst I have ever encountered.
Food is mediocre at best. Buffet food is bland and old. specialty restaurants serve mostly the same dishes you can find in the buffet. Bit more fresh.
Want a cup of tea or coffee in the afternoon? Good luck.
Dishes are dirty with stuff stuck to them.
Pool has moldy edges with tiles coming off of it.
Good location, OK rooms. But I have been to many better ones.

Room Tip: Get rooms closer the beach and on higher floors
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband has written 2 reviews already and funny they are not coming up on the site not sure why but we will try again. I will start by saying I am in my 40's and have stayed at my share of all inclusive resorts through out the Caribbean and Mexico a total of 23 to be exact. My husband and I traveled her with our son (15) from Aug 5 thru till the 18th, my husband is not Mexican however Latino and is fluent in Spanish. We booked this hotel as it had the separate bedroom we also decided to go with the "Premium upgrade". That being said please please do not go to this resort!!! The so called "premium upgrade" is a joke they say 550 us dollars in resort credit ahhhh NO that's a scam they give you at check in a bunch of coupons for things you either already have with the premium upgrade or for things you will never use like babysitting discounts or free wifi (you already get that) oh and the Premium room for better drinks and better booze ok yep its there so every time you want a drink while sitting by the pool you have to get up get dressed as bathing suits are not allowed in there and fix yourself a drink. They give you the impression on the web site that because you are a "premium guest" you get the upgraded alcohol through out the resort not true. The room ok the "premium upgrade gets you an ocean view" REALLY well every room in the resort looks onto the ocean so that is a scam. My husband went to the front desk and polity had a discussion regarding all these coupons and they were rude and did not want to hear anything and sent us away with the attitude "yes got ya to bad your here now and we have your money so screw you" all we wanted was maybe a credit we could use but they completely shut us down it was almost so easy for them like it was rehearsed and they knew it was coming. We used the laundry and yes we did have a coupon for this so off our dry cleaning went and upon check out on our bill they did not take off the discount so we went to the front and they said oh sorry to bad you were to put the coupons on top of the laundry to get the discount, so my husband said oh we did not know this can you credit the amount now and she said no and carried on with our check out. The water sports.......... ok zero water sports one crappy kayak and one or two snorkel sets that are out all the time and no scuba that has been closed over a year so basically the only water sports offered are from the venders on the beach 60 bucks for a half hour on a jet ski 50 bucks to take a boat and go snorkeling 100 dollars (this is all in American funds people) to take a boat and go for a little tour 2 coves over. Pools there is NO adult pool zero not even the swim up bar is adult little kids peeing in the pool and no control over what pools they are to be in it was pathetic!!!! The hot tubs never went in either as they were overrun by children. The activities pool side were almost nonresistant and the music was blaring out of very distorted speakers it was like a bad March Break in Daytona Beach. The food and restaurants....... the food was average at best we did not eat at the buffet we just booked the sit down restaurants every night after our first 4 days at the resort the resort decided that they would shut down all the restaurants except one per night other than the buffet of course and this made it crazy to get reservations for the rest of the trip but we managed after a few stern discussions. The dress code...... well if you were Mexican seems as though you were good to go in shorts at the outside restaurant and no pants required yes a complete joke the other 2 restaurants you needed long pants. Tipping........ wow that was just ridiculous "if you want good service tip a bit" that is what it said on another review and dam I should have known better I have been to like i said a lot of all inclusive property's and the good ones when you try and tip the answer is "no no this is an all inclusive and I will get in trouble if I take a tip" not here people we had to tip the pool dude we had to tip the pool swim up bar dude we had to tip the lunch waiter we had to tip the dinner waiter we had to tip the people that cleaned our room daily it was not an all inclusive and it was so not worth the money we paid at all. The Beach......the beach for the most part is nice as soon as you go on it you are bothered daily for cloths, boat rides etc...... the water was warm and inviting however that being said it is only good for bobbing up and down not swimming, The locals park all there boats there and there is no area just for hotel swimmers and then there are the jet ski's that they rent to anyone at any age and they are going all over the place and it is really unsafe. The grounds are lush and very well looked after but I feel taken advantage of and we will not be back ever and we would not recommend this property to anyone. We also will not be staying at any Barcelo's as we feel that this company is not interested in happy guest just happy in getting your there and then not following through on what they offer. very disappointing

Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This beautiful resort is sandwiched between the mountainous jungle and the ocean cove. The 4 pools are spectacular, and clean, with waterfalls to swim under. All the rooms have ocean views. The rooms are nicely furnished, spotless and the maids are thorough with their daily cleaning. Watching the pelicans dive bomb into the ocean for fish became our favourite pastime.The beach is great for walking along. It is a popular spot for local fishermen.

The all-inclusive food is OK. The mixed drinks, including margaritas, are not great. The beer is good. Bring your own snorkels and masks. The two on loan at the resort are child size and missing parts. The pool is noisy from noon until after 6. A neighboring canteens plays loud music 24/7. I wish I brought better ear protection. The loudspeakers made a good night's sleep impossible. Still, we had a great vacation and we are glad we stayed here.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at tower 1 from July 30 until August 3rd. Check in was a breeze. We were told the wifi is free until they're able to fix the wifi bug and will start charging then. Barcy club for my 6 year old was great. But not very impressed with the activities by the pool and they lack lively coordinators to encourage guests to participate. Everything was ok until my pearl earrings and CK dress was stolen from my room.

• Stayed July 2013
Spring Grove, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My cousin and I stayed at the Barcelo Puerto Vallarta for 5 nights from 7/23-7/28. Many Nationals were on vacation during this timeframe, and were staying at the hotel. It was also rainy season, but those are just some of the facts.

My opinion of the hotel was that it is a very nice older hotel with an authentic Mexican flavor located in beautiful Msmaloya. We enjoyed our stay.

The location is very nice. It's South of downtown and walking distance to the Zoo (which I would recommend) and the Mr. Tequila factory tour. There was a lot of action at the Mismaloya River next to the resort. We had great massages there ($20/pp for 1 hour). The bus into town was 70 cents.

The Concierge team pre-booked my dining reservations. They were very nice if we had any questions and we never had to wait.

The rooms were very nice (even the lowest category room was very spacious). The decor is Mexican/modern and the balconies are huge. The closet space was really appreciated. Double sinks might have been nice, but not a big deal. Our room's lock was broken, and they wanted to be present to fix it, so we decided to use my door stop and have them fix it later. Our fridge was always stocked with what we asked for and any time that we saw the man, he was very nice and would give us anything we wanted.

The Bell Boy was very nice, but he forgot to tell us that we had to leave our room key in the slot in order for our electricity to work. LOL

The buffet was sometimes overcrowded and because the middle section where they prepare omelettes and Mexican specialties was square shaped, people came from different directions and didn't form a line, which was very crazy and confusing. Lines are very helpful to keep things organized. Whenever you walked in, they offered you hand sanitizer. I loved the Fruit Water and also the Crepe lady on Mexican night. I also enjoyed watching the activities on the beach while eating.

We ate at the Steak House and Italian. I was really impressed with the Italian. The food was really good and the atmosphere was pleasant. We had good service too.

Drinks by the pool were not to my liking, but they came around frequently.

There were plenty of pools and I really liked the waterfalls. You didn't have to play the towel game even though the hotel was full. People did not wake up at the crack of dawn to reserve.

Security at the resort was very good when leaving the resort and at the beach/pool area.

Internet - We dd not purchase internet as I feel that hotels should offer this service for free.

Shops - There was a suprising amount of various shops on the grounds. Very nice for those who do not like to venture out and they had vendors comein a couple evenings too.

The resort gets a big applause with how they handled my allergies. The Concierge notified the restaurants on my behalf, and before I even said anything, most knew. One time, I went to the snack bar by the pool, and the waiter told me that the manager would take my order due to my allergies and we didn't even sign in with our room # or anything. They just remembered. I really appreciate the attention to detail here.

The beach is not the greatest for those who love nice beaches, but I prefer the pool. There were some chairs, but not too many and it was always bustling with activity due to the river being next door. I found it to be entertaining.

Maybe sometime I will return and stay in a Master suite or the Penthouse!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!