“Had a GREAT Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Zona Hotelera Sur Km. 11.5, Puerto Vallarta 48294, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #43 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vancouver, Canada
“Had a GREAT Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed during the Christmas/New Year week from Dec 24-Dec 31. Had been apprehensive about the food, since I read some reviews about food poisoning. Nothing of the sort. The food was awesome. Great variety and fresh. Just as a precaution avoided uncooked salads...coz IF THERE WAS TO BE ANY VIRUS it would be there.
Staff was great and we were greeted and waited on with a smile and efficiently.
Rooms were fair - clean and sheets/towels were regularly changed.
One hitch - at our arrival we were made to wait for about 20 minutes - since the room was not ready and instead of 2 Queen beds - we were offered a room with one queen and 2 double beds. Worked OK, but a little "cajoling" resulted in us getting free wi-fi for our stay for the inconvenience (delay and incorrect beds).
I would surely go again - wonderful city - and I would certainly stay/recommend the Barcelo.
Remember - timeshare sharks are everywhere; starting at the airport.

Room Tip: Above level 6, gives you a better view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

2,635 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We travelled to the Barcelo in Puerto Vallarta in October 2011. This was our first experience staying at a Barcelo resort. When we arrived, my husband asked if we could upgrade out suite. The front desk was really good and suggested we could take the Grand Master Suite. The deal was a great one so we took it.

The Grand Master Suite was a 1500 sq ft apartment without the kitchen (because why would you need a kitchen at an all-inclusive?). The deck wrapped around the whole suite and allowed us to watch the little village that was right beside the hotel.

The Barcelo PV is right on the beach. It is the only resort in the bay out by Mismaloya(?). The beach was great. The ocean was beautiful. This is the resort where The Night of the Iguana was filmed. The iguana is still on the pole and is a great site to walk to.

The Spa is on the second floor and you can have your massage out on the balcony (the spa was actually right across the resort from our room). It was very relaxing to lay outside to have my massage and hear the ocean. The service in the Spa was really good as well.

The staff were attentive. The room was always clean and the drinks plentiful. If we had one complaint, it was that the food wasn't as good as other resorts.

But we would go back to this resort.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Everything was very good food, pools, rooms, the service in the bar was excellent by carlos garcia and ulices marquez the are very attentive with everyone! I enjoyed so much my stay in the barcelo hotel puerto vallarta :)

• Stayed March 2013
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The people were great. The place was clean. Pool beautiful. Our room wonderful. The food was a 2. We had two meals there that were 3 they were both from room service. The 6 days we ate out in PV and the food was excellent and very very affordable. It was a great place to come to but the next time we will rent a Villa or not pay for the inclusive part of this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms the same. Upgrade will only give you 24 hour room service and premium liquor and Wi Fi. So...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our first time staying at the Barcelo Puerto Vallarta and I have to say we had an amazing time. We stayed from Feb 23 to Mar 4. Everyone at this resort was wonderful, polite and eager to assist in every way. We came loaded with Lysol wipes and more hand sanitizer due to earlier reports of sickness and immediately upon arriving in our suite, we cleaned everything we could possibly touch and repeated every three days. The family suites were amazing, and with two teenage kids, they really appreciated their own space, my daughter loved the area in their room which had a built in desk/ make up mirror, leaving their bathroom available to my son to get ready. I loved that my husband and I had our own space and the large balcony looking out to the mountains and ocean.

The outdoor areas of this resort are beautiful, well maintained and clean. Washrooms were cleaned regularly. The pools were amazing and the waiters were great at getting your drinks in a timely manner. Loved the watermelon and the sprinkle of a chili/lime spice on it, which was brought around the pool numerous times. Highlight - While sitting around the pool, looking out to the bay we saw the spray of several whales.

The restaurant where the buffet was located was amazing and we loved the ocean view, for the meals that we had there. The food was wonderful and we really enjoyed trying all the authentic dishes that were prepared. There were many regular dishes, and they had quite a few themes during the 10 days we were there. The a la carte restaurants were very nice, staff were excellent and the food was very good. On the smaller side, but very good and well presented.

We can advise that nobody in our family became ill during our stay. The bugs were not bad on the resort or on the beach when we were there, but we did bring repellant. A quick note, bring lots of sunscreen because prices in PV or on the resort are double what you would pay at home.

We walked to the zoo which was amazing, you could buy a bag of food for the animals for $5 US that had been prepared, with each particular food item listed for each animal. We look the local bus in to PV for 7 pesos (70 cents) which runs every 7 mins outside the resort. Bus ride was about 15-20 minutes and we enjoyed the ocean views.

We also took a cab to the botanical gardens and a bus back to the hotel. The botanical gardens were beautiful. They have wonderful gift store and we had lunch in the restaurant there as well. It is built on the side of a hill overlooking the valley and river, and we were thrilled to see wild parrots flying in the jungle. Some great hiking paths throughout the gardens and jungle. We applied bug screen as suggested, but the bugs were minimal.

We wanted to do an excursion, so we signed up to do the Outdoor Adventure with Vallarta Adventures. On the day we went, we were picked up at the beach and transported by boat to another bay, then transferred to jeeps to take us into the mountains. Once at the starting point, we were met by our guides who strapped us into zip line/rappelling gear and put us on mules to take us to the top where the zip lines begin. We had a blast doing the numerous zip lines, rappelling down a waterfall and flying down a water slide. The staff were amazing, and a quick shout out to Sacha, Campeoncito, Juri, Pablo, Manuel and Adrian for making our experience one to remember!

All in all, a wonderful and memorable vacation. Thank you Barcelo! - Nord family

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor, tower 2 so we were just above the palm trees and the view was beautiful fa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The setting is great, but how can you enjoy it when you can't get a good nights sleep. A bar on the beach blasts incessant music until the wee hours of the morning. Kids can't sleep. We can't sleep. And the Barcelo doesn't do anything about it. Ridiculous

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Before you read my review, please keep in mind that I have nothing to compare this resort to. This review will be based solely on my experience at this resort, not a comparison to anywhere else.

The View: The pictures say it all. Ocean AND Mountains. This is one of the features that brought me to Puerto Vallarta. Every room has a spectacular view of both. We stayed in room 2808 which is on the 8th floor of the north side. 5 of 5 stars for the view.

The Location: Located in the small town of Mislamoya, about 15-20 minutes via cab to downtown PV. The town of Mislamoya itself doesn't have much to do, maybe spend half a day there. There is a Tequila distillery (I didn't go, so can't say if it's good), The Puerto Vallarta Zoo (which is AMAZING, see my review on this), and an authentic Mexican feel to it. Keep in mind that the cab fares are set rates from the hotel, 130 pesos to downtown PV (10 canadian roughly) so don't pay any higher than that returning. Being so far from downtown meant that you had to stay entertained at the resort, which there is lots to do, but still. 3 of 5 stars for location

The Rooms: The rooms are pretty much like the pictures show, Awesome! The rooms are suites, so that alone is great. We had a King Size bed in the main room, 2 singles beds in the bedroom. The beds were really comfortable. They were on the softer side, which is good for me. One bathroom had a walk-in shower with a rainfall shower head. The other was a standard bathtub with standard shower. Mini-Fridge was stocked with Tecates Beer, Water, Pop, and some snacks. FYI, A note and small tip got my fridge stocked the way I wanted ;-)
DO NOT CLOSE THE PATIO DOORS IF YOU ARE ON THE BALCONY!!! I closed mine and they accidentally latched so we were stuck out there for a good 15 minutes before I finally managed to shake the thing loose! I'm not sure if every door was like that, probably not, but ours was. Beware! 4.5 of 5 stars

The Staff: The staff was excellent. Bartenders were fun and friendly, servers were fast and courteous. Front desk was very informative and knowledgeable. Sitting around the pool, they have servers walking around the pool chairs to bring you drinks. I wasn't expecting this, so this was awesome! Most spoke very good English, the ones who didn't were the house-keeping staff and kitchen staff... I realized I'm in their country, so I tried to learn some Spanish to help me there. 4.5 of 5 stars.

The Pools: Blew me away. The pictures didn't actually show how great these are. There are 3 pools and 2 hot tubs. One pool has a swim-up bar and a sun-tanning pad where you can lay in about 3 inches of water and get a tan! Great! The other one has a waterfall you can swim under. I read some reviews about other resorts and people having to claim chairs with towels really early, This was not the case here! We came to the pool at different times every day and ALWAYS got a chair beside the pools. They have more than enough! Also, they serve you drinks while you relax!! You don't even have to get up if you don't want! 5 of 5 stars

The Food: First off, I want to say that I brought a lot of Pepto and Immodium. I took them daily as a preventive measure and I must say.. It worked! --- With that said, the food was AWESOME.

The Buffet had new stuff every day, usually featuring a different area of the world. Along with that, they had the same good stuff every day too. So if you're a meat and potatoes kind of person, you'll be happy. Breakfast was particularly good. Enjoying my coffee right next to the ocean was great! The omelette station was frequented by myself quite a bit. Lunch and Dinners were also very tasty there. Fish, chicken, beef, pork, pasta, salad, and dessert were all offered at every meal we ate there. They have lots of tables so we never had to wait for one.

The Snack Bar. It took us a few days to figure out that this was actually a restaurant opened for Lunch. There is an evening snack bar in the Cantina that has Guacamole, tacos, refried beans etc, but The Snack Bar you can either grab one of the slices of pizza or nachos on-the-go, or sit down and have some more "American" food like Hot Dogs or a Clubhouse and Fries. It was really good here and we ate lunch here more often than not once we figured out it wasn't actually a "snack bar."

The a la cartes, Reservations need to be made for all the a la cartes.

Don Quijote - DRESS CODE FOR MEN. No flip flops, sandals, shorts. Food is Authentic Spanish. Was very good. Menu was small but was very good. The desserts were just ok. This was probably my least favorite of the 3, but was still very good. The pianos playing and attire of the servers made it feel really Spanish.

Los Arcos Grill Restaurant - This was my 2nd favorite, although most people we talked to said this was the best. It was very really good, steak was cooked just right, potatoes were seasoned nicely. There was nothing fancy about the restaurant itself, it's the same as the snack bar. So it was mainly just about the food.

Capri Restaurant - Pasta is pasta, but this was the BEST a la carte there in my opinion. Maybe because I went in with low expectations because I feel pasta is pasta. But yea, I had the lasagna and it blew me away how tasty it was. We forgot to make a reservation and they made a table for us outside, which was a nice gesture.

All in all... each of these restaurants are very very good. The portion sizes are a tad on the smaller side, but you won't leave feeling unsatisfied. Food 5 of 5 stars.

The Spa: We went for a couples massage at the Spa. The masseuses were very good and polite. It was very relaxing. I can't remember the price, I think it was around $90 CDN for both of us, which is pretty good for a professional massage. 4 of 5 stars

The Beach: The Beach was fantastic. Sand was fine, view was great. A few vendors around but once you said "No, Gracias." they left you alone. If you plan to swim in the ocean, beward that it does drop off fairly fast so make sure you're a strong swimmer. I walked in about 4 meters about waist high and in a few steps I was at my neck in water. If you wanted to venture off, there are some paths to the left that looked interested. (we never went but others did) There is also a restaurant (non hotel) and bar on the beach. People offering boat rides and jetski rides were readily available. It was $50 for an hour I think the one guy said. Beach I'd give 4 of 5 stars.

Hotel Entertainment: I have to mention this because we checked this out on a few nights. The circus was AWESOME. The Entertainment was actually quite good each time we went. For a free show, I'd say go check it out. 4 of 5 stars.

All in all. I was extremely happy with my first trip to Puerto Vallarta. I would come back to the Barcelo without question. If you're looking for a beautiful resort, with lots to do at the resort. Barcelo is a good choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!