“A great time lots of R&R” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

You added Barcelo Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Zona Hotelera Sur Km. 11.5, Puerto Vallarta 48294, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 25% discount
Ranked #38 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Illinois
“A great time lots of R&R”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just back from PV stayed at the Barcelo from March 2 - March 9 it was wonderful. The staff is great and helpful. We booked the master suite that had the ocean & mountain view with a wrap around balcony ~ loved it, will probably always upgrade to the Premium Club they were so nice and helpful with information, easy check in & out. Lots of rest and relaxing the food is good with lots of variety. The weather was perfect the resort was quiet, there was no "sickness" going around that I knew about. I could see how "sickness" could happen eat too much, drink too much and too much sun you will get sick. At the end of the week the spring breakers were checking in so I was glad to be leaving I like the quiet area of the resort and would rather be here than in the hotel zone.

Room Tip: top floors corner suites, tower 1 rooms are next to the fishing village we did not mind the noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Spent my springbreak there last week with my friends. Generally , employees are really friendly except one restaurant manager. Facilities are nice. pool is nice and clean. it has swim bar in the middle of pool which is awesome! one hottub besides the pool, and another pool for water volleyball.
One buffet restaurant open all day from morning till midnight. Three other restaurant the hotel opens one each day which are spanish style, italian style, and another like mexican and american style. One bar is located the first floor of tower 1 right by the pool area. it opens till 1am.

The most important thing i have to say is that i read about food poison issue before we left. They def took actions to have solved this problem already. everytime we enter each restaurant, host will give u sanitizer. we have stayed 7 days and ate most there. we didnt get any food poison issue at all.

This hotel is all-inclusive. The atmosphere of three restaurant is high class, but the food quality is ok, if u r food expert. My friends and I were satisfied with food, drinks, and service. For three restaurant, u have to reserve in advance at least one day before since they are limited.
We reserved premium suite which has unlimited reservation, unlimited free 24 room service, free wifi, and top floor ocean view, free access to lounge having self-serve international drinks, appetiters, desserts.
Also premium has one free city tour, however, they will take u to one restaurant in the mountain, which will cost $50 for two, which i think is not necessary and kinda rip up, since they didnt tell us the lunch is not included, but food was ok. I suggest after city tour, tell tour guide stay in downtown or stop by the hotel since we passed the hotel to get the restaurant.

Overall, this is the first all inclusive hotel i have ever stayed. Im satisfied with services, facilities, food, drinks, and view etc.

Room Tip: I recommend to book premium ocean suite, since bar is kinda loud at night and u can get alot of extr...
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed from March 1st - March 5th on our annual trip to Mexico. We had never been to Puerto Vallarta or stayed at a Barcelo'. I had actually seen this resort on the travel channel a couple of years ago and added it to my must visit list.

I, too, had read all the reviews about "sickness" and I can tell you I just don't see it! Not only did we never get sick but I saw no one else sick nor did I hear of any sickness. The resort was not full I am sure because of all the "sickness" reviews and all I can say is what a shame! If someone had planned to visit and then changed their plans based on what they had read then that is sad!! There were no bed bugs and we did not get eat up with bug bites outside.... I am telling you none of this happened!

We absolutely loved everything about the Barcelo'! The room was probably the nicest we have stayed in at a Mexico All-Inclusive resort. The staff was fabulous, the service was excellent, the food was great, the drinks were not watered down, and the cleanliness deserves high marks. We got two massages while we there at the massage place on the beach next to the resort that sat at the point by the water. It was wonderful!!! And cheap!!!

I would highly recommend this resort and we will most definitely return!

Room Tip: Don't let the distance from the airport scare you! The view will not disappoint! It is amazing a...
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

From the time arrival until departure, we appreciated the attention from all staff members. Alicia made sure we had everything we needed for our room. The wait staff did everything to make our stay memorable. The hotel is beautiful and all meals were very good. A treat was the afternoon at the spa. We are considering bring our children next time. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray-the no see ums get you.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My family, friends, and fiancé came down to this resort at the end of February to early march to have our wedding ceremony. My now husband and I got there on 2/23 and left 3/4 so we had quite a long stay. I’ve stayed in all-inclusive resorts in the past, and I have to say this one has been one of the nicest and our room service, Josephina, was always more than timely and considerate. The rooms were beautiful and the stay was spectacular! My only complaint was the communication to room service left something to be desired. They were usually anywhere between a half hour to hour late and there also seemed to be communication fall through since our order was never completely right.

Our general stay was very relaxing. We were concerned about the illness that seemed to be reported, but not one person in our group of 35 people got sick. I believe the problem must have been taken care of prior to us getting there.

We mostly stayed around the pools since we could not soak up enough sun! It was very nice to be able to sun bathe and swim while waiters would come around taking any order you may have, bring surprise snacks, or in particular one waiter named Angel that would bring new types of drinks that matched our flavor preferences quite intuitively. The resort had a lot of fun but causal activities around the pool, however, if you did not want to participate, we never felt hindered by tuning them out or watching the fun from the sidelines. The pools seemed to fit for everyone since they were so big and there were options. There were 2 adult pools,one small pool that were shallow with a water slide, and two hot tubs. My family really enjoyed the larger pools with their kids because there was a ledge my younger niece and nephew could play on while my niece and nephew that could swim could go in deeper. My friends really enjoyed the swim up bar.

If you are looking for more activities, you can stroll down the beach to the pier, or stop and get in a free kayak, pay for a snorkel tour, or rent a jet ski. If you would like something more Vallarta Adventures is onsite and allows for great information and easy sign up.

For anyone wanting to do a destination wedding, the set up was beautiful. We got married on a private grassy area that backed up into a wall that resembled a jungle ruin, while our guests sat on flat ground that looked out onto the ocean. The service was beautiful and my fear of not being able to hear was squashed when they planned ahead with a microphoned minister. We were free to take pictures and enjoy some drinks before dinner.

The dinner was set up on a platform area that we were able to choose from after reviewing a few options. I could not have imagined a better set up. Our tables were above the beach and had a clear view of the sea as the sun dipped below a small hill on the bay. The food options were great and they even made up a vegan option for one of our guests since we picked the steak meal. The dinner was surprisingly spectacular since we didn't really know what to expect without doing a tasting. After dinner the guests were able to mingle for a little bit, dance, or just drink any order of drinks that the waiters would bring.

I would definitely recommend this resort, especially after hearing how much my whole group liked it.

Room Tip: I think tower two level 8 or 9 (which are premium club rooms) would have a good view of the sunset...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Meridian, i
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I agree whole heartily on all the previous reviews. This place is beautiful!! and the wait staff is great, but you try and talk to management about all the sickness and they forget how to speak English. I too made it until the last day and got violently sick which required a trip in a ambulance on our last day. The place was empty because people were being shuttled to other Hotels because of the sickness. Canadian group from WestJet sent 300 people to another Hotel because of the issues. They need to shut this place down for a week and get it right. I received a phone call from the ER Physician and the Hotel tried to charge me $9 for the phone call. I'm sure they hated seeing my ambulance outside the front door, but they didn't wish me well or nothing. Very Very poor management!! Its only happening at this Hotel folks. If it was Norovirus all the Hotels would have it to-do to intermingling on excursions. Strickly a Hotel issue. Was there from Feb 25th through March 3rd. Me and my wife heard all the rumors and thought it couldnt happen to us, we were very careful about what we ate and drank so its hard to pinpoint where its coming from. My ER visit cost me $1,300. Dont think Barcelo will do much about that. Until the issue is fixed I could only wish TripAdvisor, Orbitz, Expedia and Apple would drop them off. Not fair to anyone!!!!!!

That said, Hotel, Pool and setting are hard to beat. No beach whatsoever and full of pebbles not sand. Rated it down the middle because if people were not sick its a 5, but when people are sick and they dont take any action they get a 1

Mike ( Boise, Idaho )

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chemainus, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had a fabulous time at this resort. True, people were getting sick, but the 4 of us were there for 2 weeks ( Feb.13th.-Feb.27th.)and stayed perfectly healthy and "yes" I drank the water and ate anything I felt like. The staff and servers were efficient and friendly and we got to know several of them, a few personally. We all thought the food was very good with a lot of variety at the buffet. My new favourite drink is a Mimosa....champagne with a splash of OJ. One can drink only so many sweet drinks. I noticed someone in a review complained about the boats in the bay, but to us this just added to the charm of the beach where we spent most of our time. We found the waves a bit of a fun challenge trying to get in and out of the water without getting wiped out . Going for a swim became "going into the washing machine". Lol It was fun watching other people too. The ocean also has it's calmer days. The sand is grittier (which didn't bother us) because it is imported. The sand is being pulled in to a hole in the bay so they have to replace it occasionally . The sand at the other end of the beach is the original. We hired one of the boats in the bay, the El Gallito, owned by Gabriel, aka, the Little Rooster. He was a great guide, taking us to Los Arcos where we snorkelled and fed bread to the Angel fish. They all gathered round....amazingly fun. On another day he took us to Yelapas , Majahuitas and Los Animos. Yet another day Gabi took my husband fishing. We found these private tours much more enjoyable as they were on our time schedule and no crowds. Also it was much more economical. We got fairly close to a humpback whale and her baby, Orcas, and porpoises. My husband was thrilled to see a huge manta ray on his fishing trip.
The vendors on the beach were no bother. We got to know them a somewhat too and they were very friendly and respectful. They are people too and we are in their country. Alejandro does the temporary tattoos and my husband got him to design a tattoo in memory of my husband's father. Alejandro is a talented artist and can give real tattoos too. If there is a particular silver article that you want and the vendors don't have it, chances are that they can get it made for you as they did for my husband .
The grounds are lush and mature, the rooms and pools are clean and beautiful. If you want the sun in the afternoon then get in tower 2. All the rooms above the third floor are family suites or larger. The one bedroom family suites are the same size as the junior suites, but instead of the two sitting areas as in the junior suites, the family suites have an extra bedroom and two bathrooms. I find the junior suites more attractive. I find that the Barcelo has more things to do than any other resort that I have been to in Mexico. I have been there twice and would go back anytime.

Room Tip: If you want sun in the afternoon and in my opinion, a better view, then get in tower two. I have bee...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!