“Great Time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Zona Hotelera Sur Km. 11.5, Puerto Vallarta 48294, Mexico   |
Ranked #39 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Duncan, Canada
“Great Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Not sure where to start, had a awesome time. We were there from Feb 13 to Feb 27th . Vinicio Medina at the front desk did everything he could to make our stay a time to remember his favorite saying NO PROBLEM as we moved from tower 1 to tower 2 after three days as this was the tower we requested before we arrived our other needs were met with of course No PROBLEMO . Our rooms or suites you call them were roomy and comfy with a great view and waking up to ocean waves hitting the beach every morning.The maid service was top notch could not have been better. The four of us ate a la carted six times while we were there our favorite was the Spanish which we ate at three times. The Buffet was always good with a great variety different theme every nite which was nice. Our servers which there were many were Great. With saying that there is always afew that stand out. Omar and his lovely wife Sammantha made our stay that much better we made sure we in there section.Always had smiles every morning at breakfast anhd greeted by first names after day 2. Can`t remember all the names but a couple more who stood out were Juan,Angel Nire thx again. When they were not serving us food they were looking after us around the pools or on the beach with or favorite drinks.the pools are very nice, the thing we found that there were alot of kids around the swim up Bar and the Music was a bit to loud for our liking. We spent the majority of the time on the beach as we enjoyed swimming in the ocean . The vendors on the beach which we got to know by name were great there just trying to make a living, if you said no they respected that.We rented a boat from one of the locals on the beach and he took us snorkling one day to los Arcos which is just around the corner of the resort. Then a tour another day to Yelapa & Mjahuitas and Las Caletas we saw Dophins Humpback whales which we got great pictures of, i would highly recommend doing this our guides name was Gabriel Known as the Little Rooster everyone knows him. I don`t think you`ll be dissappointed.Also if you see a young guy on the beach his name is Alehandro he does fake or real tatoos he`s very interesting to talk to and they only last a week. You have to remember there just trying to make a living. We went to a couple of the nite shows that were good. The Cantina in the bottom of tower1 was alive with music every nite which shut down around mid nite which was alright with us.Lastly all the bad reviews the Barcello has been taking my opinion only. We ate and drank at all the places the resort had to offer, and didn`t get sick. Everyone there was doing there best form cleaning to hand sanitizers to masks being worn by kitchen staff. Without a second thought i would go back in a heart beat. THX Again Barcelo for a great 2 weeks. Happy Canuck

Room Tip: Tower 2 has sun in the afternoon as tower 1 is in the shade all rooms are nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

2,596 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
Edmonton, AB
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I travelled to the Barcelo in a group of 12 people from 2/17 to 2/24. The entire group had been to the resort two years ago and loved it enough to come back. The beach is nice, the pool is big, the rooms are huge and the people are friendly. Unfortunately that is will not be enough for me to return to this resort.

For the weeks before the trip we had been reading the reviews about everyone getting sick, but had been hoping it was being blown out of proportion. This was not the case. The reviews are very accurate. There is a serious problem at this resort that needs to be dealt with before ANYONE should be allowed in.

When we arrived we asked the Sunwing representative (George) about the illness at the resort and he assured us that only a few people had been sick and that there wasn't a problem. It only took a few hours at the resort to realize that the staff were well aware of what was happening but were unwilling to talk about it. Everywhere you went you were bombarded by staff members squirting isogel into your hands and wearing masks. This is not normal for a resort.

By the end of the second day three out of our twelve were violently ill with constant vomitting (every 10 minutes for 5 hours) and diarrhea. The first night at dinner was the only night that all twelve of us ate together because there was always someone down with the illness. It generally took 2 days to recover from and left everyone pains and easily upset stomachs for the remainder of the trip. A quick trip to the gift shop revealed line ups of people buying gatorade, pedialite and medications to try and recover. The resort doctor was constantly being called and guests were charged outrageous amounts just to be given dramamine or anti-diarhhea medication.

This trip was my 14th trip to Mexico and I am well aware of the odd stomach ache people get when travelling to a foreign country. This was not just traveller's diarrhea or sickness...it is a serious problem. Twelve out of twelve of our group were violently ill. It infected everyone from a perfectly healthy 20 year old to a 92 year old elderly grandmother.

At the end of our trip one of the members of our group requested and was granted a meeting with the General Manager of the resort and the Sunwing representative. Both admitted that the resort has a serious problem and that they were the only resort in Puerto Vallarta affected by it. The Sunwing representative even admitted that when originally asked about the illness he denied it DESPITE knowing that it was true. He admitted that he "wasn't allowed to talk about it" before and that Sunwing was now DIVERTING passengers away from the hotel and allowing them to stay someone else due to the severity of the issue. The general manager of the resort also indicated that they were so aware of the issue (yet did nothing about it) that they were conducting testing on their food and bloodwork on their staff to try and narrow down what the issue was. All of this was happening while they were telling the resort patrons that everything was okay and there was nothing to worry about. This was a blatant LIE!

The fact that this has been going on since December and the Barcelo management did absolutely nothing to warn or alert resort patrons is deeply disturbing. The root cause for everyone's sickness is pure negligence on the part of the Barcelo and Sunwing management and is completely unacceptable. I will not travel to another Barcelo resort and will not use Sunwing as a tour operator in the future. I will return to Puerto Vallarta but will spend the extra money to ensure I am staying with a resort chain that has the interest of it's customers at heart.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kenora, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We we're at the Barcelo from February 16th to the 23rd. We arrived on my husband's 50th birthday and we did have fun the first couple of days, but then things started going south.
When I went to reception to cash in some Canadian for Pesos, the young lady had a very strange way of counting the cash (several notes at a time), so I recounted them and found she shorted me approx. 208 pesos. She made a comment about being incorrect and handed over 200 pesos, and only after I counted them again did she relinquish the last 8. Not a great start. What can you say about restaurants that insist on squirting hand sanitizer onto their guests hands before they seat them....and what's with the face masks. The issue with cleanliness appears to be theirs. When we sat down for breakfast I asked for a teaspoon for my husband's coffee. I guess I should have specified "clean teaspoon". The waiter turned to the dirty table behind us, grabbed one and handed it to my husband. It had jam on the handle and old coffee in the bowl!!! I complained to the another waitress, however, this type of thing repeated itself later when they kept insisting on putting dirty saucers under my coffee cup as I kept pulling the diry saucers out. On the third attempt the waiter tried to put a little humour into the situation by wiping another saucer on the table cloth one their serving table.....not a clean location.
It was at the Spanish restaurant that we had the meal that made us sick. We spent the next 2 days in our room (at least it was nice), and for the last 2 days we only had bread, crackers and water. We finally felt a little better on the Friday (last day of our trip), and we had breakfast at the buffet, however, our stomachs were rolling once again by early Saturday a.m., and we weren't sure we could make our flight out. We did, but it took until Wednesday before we really started to feel better. Everything was text book "traveller's diarrhea". The concern here is what is going on at the Barcelo PV as in spite of the reviews, it appears upper management is not listening. The maitre'd in the main buffet listened to our concerns and offered broth and medical help, but at the reception desk they were more interested in not responding, offering only a mumbled "oh" when advised of our illness and turning away.
The Barcelo is in a great location and the rooms are beautiful and they all appear to have great views. Unfortunately this is not enough for an all inclusive 4.5 star resort. They need to clean up their act.
We travel every year, and this was our second trip to PV, but we won't be back anytime soon. Thanks Barcelo.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed 2/20-2/27/13.
I always thought of the Barcelo chain as above average. This resort was just average.

The suites are very nice and roomy. The room was the best part of this resort. The maid service was better than anywhere else. She came by 3-4 times a day to see if we needed anything. She really scrubbed the rooms well. The problems with the room were needing the safe replaced when we arrived-it was not tested before check-in. There also was a burned out light bulb in the bathroom. The battery holder for the TV remote was broken so the batteries kept falling out. The shampoo dispenser in the shower was broken for the week.

The grounds were clean and pretty. The area around the resort was just beautiful. They were refinishing the tile throughout the first floor for the first 6 days of our stay. That meant smelling nothing but harsh chemicals by the shops, main bar, the buffet, and outside of the restuarants.

The pool is very large and clean. There was a good amount of wait staff to orderf drinks from.

The food in the buffet and 3 restuarants were just average. We did find quite a few dirt dishes in the buffet. We did not try roomservice. As for the staff, there were good and bad ones. The main bar ran out of 2 different beverage offerings that we knew of, and stayed out of them for the next 3 day of our stay.

There was a band in the bar area every nightl that was very nice. We did not watch any of the nightly shows.

Yes both of us got sick. It was bad and ruined a few days of our vacation. It seemed like a third to half of the people we talked to had it. You could not buy Dramamine (for nausae) from the gift shop without seeing the resort doctor-that was an outright rip off.

I would not come to this resort until I saw 2 weeks of reviews that did not get sick.

from the gift shop

Room Tip: If you take naps in the afternoon, get a room away from the pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

From February 17 - 24, 2013 our group of 12 stayed at the Barcelo in Puerto Vallarta for the 2nd time. Our experience 2 years ago was so good that we returned. We travel to Mexico annually and have always had a great experience. This year, unfortunately, was different.

The Barcelo in Puerto Vallarta is beautiful, quiet, family friendly and located in a gorgeous cove. The P.V. zoo is located within walking distance, there is the opportunity to go horseback riding nearby and there is plenty of history with past movies being filmed nearby (i.e. Night of the Iguana and Predator).

Before we went to the resort, we were aware that some posts on Trip Advisor had popped up about people being sick. We took precautions before we left by buying hand sanitizer, bringing our own cups, never drinking the water unless it was bottled and being extra picky about the food we decided to eat. We were very careful.

Unfortunately our entire group of 12, over the week that we were there, became very ill. Each of us was 'out of commission' for at least a couple of days. Some more than others. As the week went on we noticed that there wasn't many people around even though the resort was apparently operating at a high capacity. The more we talked to people, the more we discovered that others were sick too. A lot of people were sick.

At first the employees avoided our questions when we asked what was going on. There was obviously something going on as anyone who handled the food was wearing a mask and you were given hand sanitizer as you entered all of the restaurants. Their gift shop cooler was even stocked with Gatorade and Powerade.

The illness was quick and dirty and left you feeling not quite at 100%. We were told that the resort had conducted multiple tests on their employees, on the food and on the environment and everything was coming back negative. We were also told that they believe that someone brought the Norovirus into the resort back in December and it had perpetuated itself since then.

I feel strongly that in order to stop this trend from continuing, the resort needs to shut down for a short period of time and disinfect the entire place. Yes, they will lose money but the bad press and damage to their reputation will be even more damaging long term. Cruise ships do this when there's an illness on board...the Barcelo in P.V. should do this as well.

The resort itself is beautiful and the food and drinks are great (from what I remember from the first time we were there) but because they were not honest with us, they ignored our concerns and continue to allow people in to this infected environment, we will not be staying at this resort or another Barcelo again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. The higher up you are, the more you will see. Huge rooms and balconies.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Barcelo from the 7th to the 14th for a wedding and I have to say out of 40 people half of us got sick all to varying degrees. We had read the reviews and I think that most of us had wished we had changed our hotel by mid week. The bride was a nurse and we thought it was something air born like a virus but the weird thing was it affected only one person out of each couple. It was not typical of a virus. I can't say what it was, but definitely food related because we all had varying diets from vegans to vegetarians, pescatarians and everything else and it hit the whole spectrum. I had nausea every morning and threw up a few times, but two of our group were hospitalized and my sister is still trying to sort herself out cause her stomach is still not right. On that note its not a "not used to he food scenario" because she used to live in Mexico. The staff seemed more interested in ignoring the issue then fixing it. But you could tell they knew it was happening, conversations about people being ill were happening everywhere and if staff was near by you could see them listening really closely. The food never seemed warm enough from the buffet. Another side note my boyfriend and I had Expedia elite plus which is supposed to guarantee upgrades, we received none except for free wifi for one device for 5 days....so wifi is per device and you have to pay per day. I will say this, the staff was friendly, the rooms were beautiful and I did have a great time but that was more due to being in Mexico for an amazing wedding with a group of awesome people and very little to die to the hotel, more in-spite of it actually. I can only imagine what that week would have been like if we weren't all feeling so ill. I will not be going back to this hotel or its others again.

• Stayed February 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

This place ended up being a beautiful place to get sick. I came here with 50 guest for my wedding 2/17/12-2/25/13. I read the reviews about people getting sick and so I contacted the hotel manager about my concerns. After her attempts to avoid my questions with BS I asked her directly if people were getting sick still. She flat out put in writing that there were "no current cases". What a lie! On the 2nd day there, half my guest were violently sick including my husband. All in all, only 4 people from my group didn't get sick. The sickness is not the only problem I had at Barcelo. The past year has been a nightmare trying to plan my wedding. I had little to no communication with anyone from the hotel until 1 week before my arrival although they had no trouble taking my payments. Once there, the staff was friendly enough but totally indifferent to any complaints or needs. They were completely unapologetic and ignored my request for compensation. Nothing went right and unless I asked specifically, they would do nothing. Overall, I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone! It's too bad because the hotel is beautiful and the location is gorgeous but all the other problems don't make it worth it.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!