“Beware” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

You added Barcelo Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Zona Hotelera Sur Km. 11.5, Puerto Vallarta 48294, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 25% discount
Ranked #37 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Beware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Iam writing this review from my room I should be at the pool but Iam sick there is something terribly wrong here it needs to be shut down for a few days and cleaned Iam not a drinker and Iam careful with my food but this is the first time in mexicoI have been sick like this everyone here is dropping like flies everyone instead of handing out coupons upon arrival they should hand out pepto and gravel cause that's all you use here this is crazy and any company booking vacationers here should be not it needs to be shut down for a few days and cleaned the management says its at all resorts it's not just here they say its nit the food not to sure what it is but it's crazy so much for a nice vacation and sun when u feel like this most of the time and your scared to eat or touch anything beautiful location and resort but sickness is everywhere

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
Regina, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Out of our group of 40, all but 2 people got sick. The place is beautiful, the staff are very friendly, but that really means nothing when you're in your room for three days and then too miserable to enjoy the rest of the vacation. It really was our worst vacation ever. We read the reviews before we came but we weren't able to change our reservations - if you have the opportunity to choose, don't come to this resort until they have been able to clean up whatever it is that is making almost every visitor sick. If you're stuck with your reservation, take bug spray, the bites are quite nasty! And of course, load up on medicines because you'll end up paying $15 for a small bottle of pepto bismol which won't last you a day!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tigard, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I have been to puerto Vallarta 3 times prior to my visit this November. I did a lot of research and found out the hard way that you get what you pay for. We booked a suite with the extra level. The check in was crazy because they had some conference the same week with hundreds of people checking in. The bell boy told us to leave our bags at the front (with swarms of people) and come with him. I was so anxious about our bags I couldn't enjoy being there. We got checked in and were then told to get our bags and hand them to the bell boy who would bring to our room. We went up to our room and were amazed at the size of the room! It was huge. Like a mini apartment. We were facing the ocean and it was beautiful. We then went down to the bar and asked for a margarita and got the worst margarita ever! It was so disappointing. I tried to make the best of it but unfortunately I got very very ill from the buffet on our second night and spent the remainder of the trip in bed with horrible diarrhea and dehydration. I called the front seat at 12am and asked for medicine like pepto and I was told they did not have any and that They would have to go get a paramedic and have him go to a pharmacy 20 minutes away in order to get me any medicine. I was so nervous about having a Mexican doctor come see me that I just hung up and was in pain all night. I woke up in the morning and called the front desk and again asked for medicine. This time they told me that the gift shop had all kinds of medicine! I was frustrated that they had not mentioned that prior but so happy that I could get medicine. I went to the gift shop and bought some Pepto and some Gatorade then went back to the room and spent the rest of the trip in my room sick. The buffet was horrible and made me so sick. I not a sickly person and don't complain usually. All the food and drinks were horrible. I will never return to this resort. Le Kliff was the high light of our trip and is theist amazing restaurant with great food and view! All in all spend $500 more and get higher quality EVERYTHING :)

• Stayed November 2012
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was my second time here in Jan.24-28.I was a bit worried after reading previous reviews.I came with my sister and we had a great time.I asked the room opposit to the bar since the last time that was our only issue with the noise.
Check in: check in time at 3pm but we arrived at 1pm and our room was ready.You receive the coupon book upon check in and let you know right away you need to use the coupon before using the servise not after when you check out. It was very useful so internet wich for $$,I used both day coupon so instead of $46.00 for 4 days it was $26.00 only.Also I used my late check out coupon as well.Saved $30.00 atleast.
Pool: because of the heated pool was this hotel my number 1 choice.It was beautiful and this time few iguana lives in the middle of the island.It was so much fun to watch them.The waiters around the pool were always there.Good service.
Food: was not the best but it was good. We got sick the last day but I can't blame the hotel even I never got sick before anywhere but my pharmacist in Vancouver said everyone has the
same simptoms,some bug goes arround.They were not in Mexico.I last few pounds not eating for several days.Thank you for that.I wouldn't change a thing.
Bites: I saw several people with lots of bite on them but did not ask how they got it. they could have been in a jungle tour.We had few on us but I killed one mosquito in our room.
Show: was very entertaining,enjoyed it.
Beach: not to sandy but has a part where you can swim.Locals got out a dead baby SHARK,showed it around and took back to the ocean.I had concern about that.Noone else seemed!!
I love this hotel regardless,I'll go back again.Love the pool,the jungle around,the service great,very friendly people.

Room Tip: Oposit side of the bar.All rooms are ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

After a good trip with family I got food poisoning the last night of the trip. Now home and all other parties who came are also feeling sick but not to the great extent that I was. The staff was excellent and hard working. Drinks were light on alcohol but easy to get. Four different restaurants but not open every night. Same food just arranged differently. Lol anywho stay away from flea market as the venders get pushy or go with large protective men... Maybe that will help! after three year wait for vacation with husband I give it 3.5 stars out of five. Tops!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We did find it a bit far from Puerto Vallarta, however we agreed the benefits much outweighed the distance. It is quiet, safe, and has all one needs. The scenery is amazing. The bus goes often and cabs are cheap. Wash your hands, and keep them out of your mouth. There seems to be a lot of illness going around. We never got sick, but met a lot that were. The only drawback is entertainment or lack thereof. There never was a band. They had a dance group that tried hard and were entertaining. We found the staff very accommodating, even more if you tipped! If you can get past the illness and no entertainment within half hour, this is the place you will come back to.

Room Tip: We had a great view and no noise at all except for the waves. We stayed in tower 2. Definitely quiet...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Regina, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

There was six of us (3 couples) it was my husband who got sick first and the it was like a domino effect after. Some of us it lasted 3 days and some 4 days but still after that our stomach never recovered. Our drink glasses were not washed cause our drinks would have a different mixture in it. Our glasses in our room were not clean or replaced with clean ones. Cleaning staff would just wipe then out. Noticed that the cutlery was not taken off tables if it was not used but people would touch them. Plates had dryer food on it. I have more to say about this resort but not enough characters to say it in. But one thing we do know is we will never go back. Everyone we talked to had gotten sick. The bug bites left welts and itchy so bad that they just started to go away. The resort was nice but that was it. I would advise not to go there you will be sorry.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!