“Very Impressed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

You added Barcelo Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Zona Hotelera Sur Km. 11.5, Puerto Vallarta 48294, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 25% discount
Ranked #38 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Edmonton
“Very Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I will say right off the start that I visited this hotel as a travel agent and took my family there for one day. We are two adults and three kids (10, 7 & 1). We went first thing in the morning to have their buffet breakfast and it was wonderful, we all enjoyed and I had a wonderful mimosa. Everything seemed very fresh, the view was beautiful and it felt very tropical in the mountains and jungle. We put the kids in the kids club as the older 2 have been in many of them and very much enjoy them. We have been at other Barcelos, so knew what to expect of the Barcy Clubs. They couldn't wait and when we picked them up they were happy and enjoyed their time.
We then went on a tour of the property and I got to see a few different rooms. I asked specifically to see some of their less desirable locations as all their rooms are pretty much the same in each category. The only real difference would be a better view in the premium category as they are higher and some amenities in the room (along with access to the premium lounge, free internet, unlimited ala cartes and a few other things). We saw all the rooms and for I was thoroughly impressed with all of their rooms. I have been to Mexico 20 plus times and seen many different hotels and these were some of the nicest rooms. They are huge for a junior suite (their lowest category) and their two bedroom suites are also big enough for my family to be comfortable with 5 and I am pretty picky with enough room for us all to be comfortable. They were huge!!!
we spent some time in the pool with the baby and we loved the tropical feeling in the pool as well. The older kids then joined us for pool time and an ala carte lunch that was great for all that we ordered (club sandwich, burger, some kind of tacos, quesadillas). I had no issues with the food what so ever and went into the premium lounge as well for a couple snacks earlier and cappucino and mimosa for me and hubby and that was nice as well.
The beach was small, but it was right beside Mismaloya beach where I had gone for a massage later in the week for $14 for 40mins. there and would highly recommend that since the spa prices at any resorty can be hefty.
We truly loved this property and are considering it for our family next year because of the large rooms and excellent food and service.
I realize that there have been alot of sickness complaints and I just have to say that we only ate there for two meals and snacks, and washed our baby's bottles and filled them with milk and had no issues. I know that's not a long time to judge, just reporting my experience.

Room Tip: Huge rooms, 2 bed rooms wonderful for families.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Abbotsford, British Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was our 5th trip to Mexico and second time at a Barcelo Property. Last year we stayed at the Barcelo in Cabo. My husband and I were there from Jan. 26 - Feb 2. We both had the Traveler's Vaccine before we left. We arrived on the Saturday and by Monday I was sick. It lasted about 12 hours (couldn't get out of bed) but it wasn't until the Friday that I finally felt ok. My husband did not get sick. Unfortunately because of this we would not return. It's unfortunate because the hotel was great. The grounds, rooms, views and food (according to my husband, I didn't eat much) were great and the staff was awesome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
stevensville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband, son and I arrived 1/29. By 1/31 my husband was sick for approximately 24 hours with diarrhea - no vomiting. Prior to his getting sick other hotel guests told of their illness after arriving but mentioned it lasted for about 12 hours. I got extremely ill starting 2/3 and 2/4 with both diarrhea and vomiting. I did not leave the room until we had to leave for airport on 2/5.
My husband, son and I all had flu shots prior to going to Mexico. Our son did not get ill. Too many people were getting ill at this resort . There is definitely a problem.

We did not care for the food. This is the first time we did an all inclusive package.

The resort, staff, rooms and pool were well kept and clean. Other than getting sick, it would have been a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
st paul,mn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I vacationed at Barcelo 1/25/13-1/28/13. My wife became very ill on 1/27/13 along with many other Barcelo guests. I feel morally compelled to suggest you please review the recent posts from other TripAdvisor users before you go. It appears Barcelo guests have been getting ill from as far back as December to current. According to the posts, there is much speculation as to the cause of this contagion, and possibly management is disclaiming worker/facility sanitation or food/water contamination issues. REGARDLESS of the actual cause, the ONLY responsible response to this public concern is to contain this serious health and safety problem immediately and alert future guests. If we could determine a Mexican agency similar in function to the US Center for Disease Control & Prevention, we would report the concern.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I have done plenty of A/I Mexico trips and have never complained. This is certainly an exception if everyone there is also getting ill. So I feel it my responsibility to future travelers to share as well. Arrived Friday 1/25. Vomiting and diarrhea by Sunday morning. Stayed in bed until our departure on Monday 1/31. Note I don't have a history of knocking down easily. Overheard many others falling ill while I was there. Also covered in bug bites, not certain what kind. I didn't personally mind it, but if you like a quiet morning with the windows open, you won't get it here - roosters will wake you early. Staff were great, especially in responding to me medically for the additional cost. I'm easy to please when there is sun, sand, pool, and Corona.....but I won't be going back to Barcelo.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Casper, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our stay at Barcelo was wonderful! Our room was beautiful and the balcony overlooked the pools and we were able to view the live, outdoor entertainment at night. We opted for all-inclusive for this trip and couldn't have been more pleased. It was so relaxing and the service from the front desk to maintenance was wonderful and so helpful. There are plenty of activities for children, and you can participate in crafts and activities all day. We also opted for the top shelf alcohol option which was also worth the few extra dollars. The grounds are continuously maintained and it is beautiful. We took one tour - old downtown. The guide was so knowledgeable and we visited out of the way, locals hangouts. Hated to leave and can hardly waitvto return.

Room Tip: Choose one of the upper floors where the views are better.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Prince George, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I traveled with family to the resort, were there from jan19-feb 2nd. Two of three people go sick. I talked with kitchen manager and he said we were sick cause of flu, well if you had food poisoning before you know the difference, vomiting and diarrhea until 6am, not the flu. They need to review all their food preparation policies. I talked with many people at the resort and at least half of every group was sick.

The location of resort is great, jet skiing and boat rentals right on beach, snorkelling at los arcos short boat ride away. Ask for martin, he will go snorkelling with you! Most other guides just sit in the boat.

I would only stay here again if they had major changes in the kitchen.

Room Tip: don't pay for room upgrade, just get room in second tower and 6th floor and up.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!