“idyllic location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Zona Hotelera Sur Km. 11.5, Puerto Vallarta 48294, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #47 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
B.C.
“idyllic location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have just returned from 10 wonderful days at the Barcelo. We booked on Barcelo.com, the price would be comparable to a vacation package but you have more flexibility with dates. Unkown to us until we arrived; this had extra perks- free wireless internet, unlimited dinner reservations, which you could make before arrival (we did know about this one), discounts on tours, spa and convenience stores. We had a king room on the 8th floor, which we did not pay extra for. It was huge (I think all the rooms are), very comfortable and we loved our view of the pool, ocean and jungle.
The resort is spotless, the cleaning staff are working constantly, the grounds beautiful, the pools clean (we saw the water being checked a few times/day), staff very friendly and attentive.
The breakfast buffet was great, the coffee could be a bit better but the fresh orange juice made up for that. We always at lunch at the snack bar. Here you could order from the menu or have the tacos or pizzas they were making. All very good. The dinner buffet had a good selection but it is a buffet and we didn't expect more. Staff were busy and somewhat inefficient, but we were never in a rush. There are three other restaurants but only one is open each evening. The Capri was our favourite. Sevice in the restaurant was excellent. We never had any illness but made a point of using hand sanitizer after touching all the serving tongs at the buffet. If there is an issue of transmitting germs we think it is from other guests more than from staff.
We feel this resort has incredible value! Where in Canada could you stay at a resort for this nightly rate not even considering all the food, drink, entertainment and services.
One of the reasons we chose to stay here was to be away from Puerto Vallarta; the area is beautiful; and it is so nice to not be looking at another hotel. As others have said it is very easy to take the bus everywhere. We did have bites (no-see-ums?), not at the resort so much as at the botanical gardens, Yelepa and the hills around Mismaloya.
Loved this place! Have never stayed at a 5 star, but this certainly does not have a 5 star price.
Our only complaint would be the noise from the TV in the adjacent room, still going at 2 am from not very considerate guests.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the higher floors but they all have views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
victoria,bc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The first impression of this resort was how immaculately clean everything was. The Junior Suite with a ocean view was one of the best we have stayed in Mexico. We needed a week to unwind from life and that is what we got. Meals were great, lots of choices of food in buffet, and restaurants. The minibar was stocked regularily, housekeepers did fantastic job. The bed was super comfy. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star is that the evening entertainment could have been a bit better some nights. The front desk did not tell us to book a la carte restaurants asap. But the service was great, all the staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask about a la carte reservation as soon as you arrive. We had to wait 3 days to get the dinner we...
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had a great trip, well at least the first 5 days of our trip – more details below. It was my husband and young son at the Barcelo PV for a week early January.

Pro’s:
-friendly front desk staff
-friendly buffet staff and cooks
-friendly drink servers around the pool
-friendly servers at the snack bar near the pool
-friendly housekeepers on our floor
-nice, clean, bright hotel rooms
-nice, plush towels in our bathroom
-lovely property
-room efficiently cleaned daily (although she always left our patio door open 6 inches when she finished cleaning the room even though we always left our room with the door closed)
-awesome and friendly people who chose to stay at this hotel; so much fun meeting people around the pool daily
-nice pool areas and lots of umbrellas if you need the shade (cloudy many days during our stay)
-nice variety of food at the buffets, including a nice salad bar
-staff very appropriate and friendly when interacting with our son
-awesome selection of fresh juices at the breakfast buffet daily

Con’s
-desserts at the buffets not that interesting or tasteful
-very loud entertainment at the swim up bar pool, and the way the pools are set up even if you are at the other pool, you have to listen to that noise and entertainment during the day
-loud music coming from The Cantina in the evenings … if you are staying in Tower 1 you will hear this every evening, regardless if the person at the front desk assures you at check in that he gave you a quiet room
-beach very hard sand to walk on
-seriously loud private party hosted at the hotel out at the pool area on the Tuesday night we were there … we could feel the music base thumping in the room and did not appreciate that the hotel did not warn the guests we would have to put up with noise during our stay due to where they decided to host a function. My son is almost 2 years old and cried he was so tired and could not fall asleep due to the noise.
-up until Wednesday of our trip, we would have highly recommended returning to this hotel for another vacation, but as of the Thursday of our trip, I became extremely ill with what ended up being food poisoning and when we returned home a few days later I ended up in Emergency for treatment as I was still extremely ill and unable to keep foods/fluids down. The doctor told me it was food poisoning. I hope the hotel doesn’t try to defend this as drinking too much as I did not have any alcoholic beverages during our entire stay, and have been to Mexico almost 20 times and never been ill before.

Due to my food poisening issue, I am only giving this resort a 3 ranking.

Room Tip: Tower 1 can be very noisy at night due to music from The Catina
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We just completed our one week vacation at Barcelo PV. The hotel is beautiful, food is good, and staff are very friendly. In the middle of the vacation, the battery of my camera died (which shouldn't have as I only took a few hundred photos on this DSLR that's usually very power efficient). The idiot I am, I forgot to bring a charger. I walked out of the room with my wife yelling at me, frustrated and desperate. With the model about 3 years old, the chance of borrowing a charger from a fellow tourist was pretty slim. So I figured why not try the friendly staff as a last resort? I went straight to the front desk, sheepishly asked if by any chance he could find a charger for me. Now I have to say the regular front desk staff are sometimes less useful, and probably would have said no, but I think this was a supervisor I was talking to, and he referred me to Odette, the lovely lady who works in the lobby. After a phone call to the house keeping, she went back to see if she can find any charger that's left behind by guests. It took her all of 10 minutes to get the only Canon charger available, and it's the exact model I was looking for!!! That's how good luck and the very friendly staff going above and beyond saved my trip. Thank you Odette!!!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Barcelo Puerto Vallarta was an amazing vacation. I stayed here with my girlfriend for a week (all inclusive). This is the second time staying at a Barcelo (first one was in Los Cabos) and definitely did not disappoint again. The food was great at the buffet and the 3 resteraunts. We had the pleasure of being served by Rodrigo in the spanish and grill resteraunts and he provides EXCEPTIONAL service! As well, Alejandro at the front desk was also super friendly, funny, and provided amazing service! All of the staff here provide great service to ensure you have a relaxing and memorable vacation!

We stayed in a basic room and it definitely exceeded our expectations. The room was large (bigger than the Los Cabos Barcelo), was always clean and stocked with snacks & refreshments. The Balcony was nice and if tvs were good with many channels.

I cannot say enough good things about this place, but would highly recommend it for everyone.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less noise
Rogers, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We had a great time in Puerto Vallarta! We stayed at the Barcelo for 9 nights. The best thing about the hotel is the location which is actually in Mismaloya (about a 30 minute bus ride to downtown.) We loved that the hotel was surrounded by mountains and jungle (you won't get this as much if you stay in Puerto Vallarta) and there is a nice little village across the street with some good restaurants, tequila factories, and a zoo at the end of the road. The village might seem a little scary and deserted at first but it is perfectly safe and I highly reccommend taking a stroll through there and stopping at one of the restaurants. We ate at 3 restaurants and they were all good. Tonys, El Patio, and the one directly across from the Mr. Tequila Factory ( I don't remember the name.) The ocean water was also cleaner looking in the bay than it appeared downtown. I would say the only downfall of the hotel is the nightlife. There is a bar at the hotel that stays open until 1:00 am but that is about it. If your looking for a lot of nightlife than it would be better to stay closer to Puerto Vallarta. If your traveling with kids than this would be perfect for you! Then when you want to go into Puerto Vallarta than just take the bus. There is a stop right across the street from the hotel. They stop about every 15 minutes. We took our 18 month old and he loved it! Just remember where you got off the bus in town because that is where you will get back on. They automatically stop at the Barcelo on the way back so don't worry about telling the bus driver. I think the last bus on the weekends is 11pm and 10pm during the week.

As far as the food and drinks - hands down the best I've had at an all inclusive resort. We only ate at the Los Arcos Restaurant and it was good. The buffet was good as well. It does get a little old after a few days though so that is why we tried some of the restaurants in the village.

The Rooms - Rooms were nice, large, and clean. If you get a regular room like we did than you'll have a nice sitting area right when you walk in with a flat screen TV. Then there is a bathroom and closet before you get to the sleeping area where there is another flat screen a couch, coffee table, table w/ chairs, etc.. I believe the standard rooms would be plenty big for a family of four or even 5. The bathroom door is not very private though.

Pools- The pools were awesome and there was a nice swim up bar. If you want a nice spot than I suggest getting out there early. You can save a spot with your towel but we were out there by 10-11 AM on most days and most chairs were taken and hardly anyone down there yet. I thought it was rather rude and am surprised the hotel even allowed it.

Beach - The beach was on the small side but more than enough chairs available at all times. The waves were usually pretty strong so be careful with smaller kids in or near the water. The downside to the beach is all the people selling things. We did buy a few things from them and that person usually left alone once you did but there are quite a few people always asking. If you can afford it I would suggest buying something from at least a couple of them because we only seen people turning them down. They are trying to make a living and I can't imagine that they make much money.

There are also guys on the beach who will take you out on there boats for a lot cheaper than an excursion. We went out with a guy named Ramiro and we had a great time. We went out for about 3 hours and cruised around, went fishing, snorkeling, and looked for whales (we only saw some dolphins and a whale from very far away though.) We paid him $60 each and had a great time. We brought our 18 month old and felt very safe at all times so there is nothing to worry about.

Staff- All the staff was very friendly and nice. Whoever has said the staff is rude or unfriendly than I would think there is something wrong with them. The only person who I thought could have been a little more helpful was ironically the conceirge.

Lastly, I would like to say is if you can afford it tip your housekeepers, bartenders, bell boys, and servers. Not sure how much they make at this hotel but we've heard that some places in Mexico that hotel workers only make about $6-8 a day! They live off their tips and most of them work 7 days a week.

This hotel was great and I highly recommend it! Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions!

Room Tip: Balconies on the 2nd floor are bigger but you can't see the ocean as well. Our room was right a...
Mosinee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We just recently completed our vacation at the Barcelo PV. The check in and check out we're fast and flawless. If you arrange your transfers with the resort you will get fast and safe service. The food in the ala carte restaurants was excellent. I recommend the lamb chops and the seafood selections (sea bass, salmon and mahi mahi). The bartenders were very friendly and poured good drinks- no skimping. The service around the pool was also very good as the servers came around regularly. The buffet and snack area were near the pool and easily accessible. The beach swimming area was small and the sand on the beach was course, but we didn't spend that much time on the beach so it didn't really matter that much. The rooms were clean and spacious. I saw one bug in our bathroom at 3:00 am, that was it. The tequila bar was a nice touch and we used it regularly. The resort was nicely compact so you didn't ever have far to go to get from one place to another. We had a person in our party who was wheelchair bound and he was able to access all areas of the resort. Overall we had a really good time at the Barcelo.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!