Overall, this is an excellent resort where they do truly appreciate your business. It's also one of only a few places where being a rewards platinum member actually means something.
My wife and I stayed for a week in late June using rewards points. The weather this time of year is hit or miss, you will likely see rain every other day if not every day.
What stands out the most here is the food and the appreciation of your dollar. The food at this resort is excellent, there was not a single meal that didn't impress. We were often impressed by the fact that the wait staff learned our names and thanked us for our business. It was a frequent occurrence, if it was a show it was very believable. Unlike traveling to some islands, they really seem to understand that you have travel choices and generally want to impress you and earn your money (contrast that to an island like Aruba where they just know you'll dump money into all sorts of things while you are there and there's no appreciation anywhere that you're investing in their economy).
Unless you're looking for a lot of stick time in the ocean (see below) this is an excellent choice.
There are some issues, however, that could be improved:
1. Unlike some neighboring properties, this hotel has no lagoon type beach protection and the waves are too big for many swimmers, there's a massive drop off and the majority of the surf zone is full of rocks (some people won't go in just because of the rocks). Take a quick walk down to the Westin and you can see how it should be done, the beach experience is far better than the Marriott. In addition the waves kick up a lot of debris making the water seem dirty. This is actually a solvable problem, I am not sure why they haven't addressed this by investing in a lagoon type of sheltering.
2. There are signs everywhere that the beach is a "rest zone" with no cell phones as well as signs prohibiting vendors from entering. This is sort of comical as the management of the hotel will not only not ask the vendors to leave, they will stand there talking to them inside of the "no vendor" area. As with any location like this, you will grow tired of addressing questions about buying goods for sale on the beach. I understand the vendors are making a living and I respect their patience but at the same time it gets old after a while and the management should do something about it.
3. Sometimes even the staff can get too aggressive about booking business. I was sleeping at the pool and a manager actually woke me up asking if I wanted to make a dinner reservation at Mikado. My wife said he actually asked twice, the 2nd time with more volume, until I woke up.
A few tips:
1. The first floor ceiling is really low. I wouldn't take a room on the first floor
2. If you book a room with points or without, at least during this time of year, they upgrade two room classes if you are a platinum member (obviously subject to availability). This is something to consider when booking.
3. Breakfast. We asked about a discounted rate at check in and they gave us a 2 for 1 deal. Breakfast at this hotel is truly awesome, honestly some of the best breakfast food I've had at any hotel anywhere.
4. Be aware that the ocean front and ocean view are not the same room type (despite what the room options may show online). Ocean front rooms are much better and directly face the water and are very close to the beach.
5. If you are platinum you are entitled to free drinks with dinner on property. Some restaurants will let you get a more premium drink like a margarita instead of a beer or glass of house wine as part of this offer, if you ask.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, Hotels.com, Otel and Agoda so you can book your CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casamagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort And Spa
- Casamagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa Hotel Puerto Vallarta
- Marriott Puerto Vallarta
- Puerto Vallarta Marriott