“Excellent stay, only the beach needs some engineering” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa to your Saves list
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Paseo La Marina Norte 435 | Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night & $50 Credit
Ranked #11 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Austin, Texas
“Excellent stay, only the beach needs some engineering”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Overall, this is an excellent resort where they do truly appreciate your business. It's also one of only a few places where being a rewards platinum member actually means something.

My wife and I stayed for a week in late June using rewards points. The weather this time of year is hit or miss, you will likely see rain every other day if not every day.

What stands out the most here is the food and the appreciation of your dollar. The food at this resort is excellent, there was not a single meal that didn't impress. We were often impressed by the fact that the wait staff learned our names and thanked us for our business. It was a frequent occurrence, if it was a show it was very believable. Unlike traveling to some islands, they really seem to understand that you have travel choices and generally want to impress you and earn your money (contrast that to an island like Aruba where they just know you'll dump money into all sorts of things while you are there and there's no appreciation anywhere that you're investing in their economy).

Unless you're looking for a lot of stick time in the ocean (see below) this is an excellent choice.

There are some issues, however, that could be improved:

1. Unlike some neighboring properties, this hotel has no lagoon type beach protection and the waves are too big for many swimmers, there's a massive drop off and the majority of the surf zone is full of rocks (some people won't go in just because of the rocks). Take a quick walk down to the Westin and you can see how it should be done, the beach experience is far better than the Marriott. In addition the waves kick up a lot of debris making the water seem dirty. This is actually a solvable problem, I am not sure why they haven't addressed this by investing in a lagoon type of sheltering.

2. There are signs everywhere that the beach is a "rest zone" with no cell phones as well as signs prohibiting vendors from entering. This is sort of comical as the management of the hotel will not only not ask the vendors to leave, they will stand there talking to them inside of the "no vendor" area. As with any location like this, you will grow tired of addressing questions about buying goods for sale on the beach. I understand the vendors are making a living and I respect their patience but at the same time it gets old after a while and the management should do something about it.

3. Sometimes even the staff can get too aggressive about booking business. I was sleeping at the pool and a manager actually woke me up asking if I wanted to make a dinner reservation at Mikado. My wife said he actually asked twice, the 2nd time with more volume, until I woke up.

A few tips:
1. The first floor ceiling is really low. I wouldn't take a room on the first floor

2. If you book a room with points or without, at least during this time of year, they upgrade two room classes if you are a platinum member (obviously subject to availability). This is something to consider when booking.

3. Breakfast. We asked about a discounted rate at check in and they gave us a 2 for 1 deal. Breakfast at this hotel is truly awesome, honestly some of the best breakfast food I've had at any hotel anywhere.

4. Be aware that the ocean front and ocean view are not the same room type (despite what the room options may show online). Ocean front rooms are much better and directly face the water and are very close to the beach.

5. If you are platinum you are entitled to free drinks with dinner on property. Some restaurants will let you get a more premium drink like a margarita instead of a beer or glass of house wine as part of this offer, if you ask.

• Stayed June 2013
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your kind comments about the pleasant stay that you had. It is very important for us to know our guests enjoy the time they spent with us.

I am particularly happy to know that you enjoy the service and food, also that you really feel appreciated; I will be happy to share your sentiments with the staff and let them know what a nice job they are doing with our guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com if you wish to share further feedback or need further assistance, I will be happy to help you. I kindly ask you to refer to this comment when contacting us.

Kind regards,

Teresa Paredes
Director of Room Operations.

1,327 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at this resort property in June 2013. Like many PV resort properties, it's huge, and has access to the beach, as well as a mammoth pool. As a Marriott, quality service can usually be expected, but at this hotel we were greeted with outstanding friendliness by each and every staff member, starting with the valet, all the way to the gardeners and housekeepers. Kudos to the general manager for such a wonderful staff. Breakfast buffet was great, with fresh fruit and local dishes. Dinner at Las Casitas was delicious, with a great view of the ocean.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It might be crowded during the high season but we were blessed with 30% occupancy and corresponding discount rates, making for a really memorable stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This resort is definitively a very good choice for leisure or for business (meeting rooms), with a very nice and well equiped spa area for relaxing. The service is very professional and caring to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The rooms are pretty spacious and in accordance with the Marriott standards regarding the comfort (especially for the beds) and the general design.

Room Tip: Rooms with front sea view at the highest floor are definitively a must.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My family and I were looking for someplace to stay for one night before we heading north to Punta Mita. Being an Elite Platinum, of course I checked out the Marriott Casamagna PVR. Excellent property. I worked closely with the Head Concierge, Simon Coulson, to help me to coordinate the transportation for the 8 of us, who were all arriving at different times. He set it up seamlessly and met each one of us upon arrival at the hotel with key in hand---got to skip the line at the front desk! Simon also made sure our rooms were near each other. He also handled arranging taxi service for the 8 of us that evening and the next morning. The rooms are very nice here. I believe every room has some type of view of the ocean, even if it is called a "garden view". The pool bar was awesome as well as the food available at the pool. The buffet breakfast was included in our AAA rate---it was wonderful! I can't wait to return to this property!

Room Tip: higher up and you get a better view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for such lovely comments about the service you received at our property. I am very happy to hear your vacation here was great. I will happily extend your comments and gratitude to Simon Coulson for the help he provided organizing your family trip.

If you have further feedback or wish further assistance I will be happy to help you, please contact me at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com I kindly ask you to refer to this comment when contacting me.

Kind regards,

Teresa Paredes
Director of Room Operations
Springdale, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in late June and would definitely choose this property again. It was conveniently located near the airport (but we never heard airport noise) and marina and just a cab ride/bus ride from the boardwalk/downtown area. Closer to downtown the beach is not as nice or wide; further away is a longer trek to the boardwalk so I think this location is perfect for a trip to PV.

The pool and hot tub were large and lounge chairs were always available. Breakfast buffet every morning was superb with cooked to order pancakes and waffles, fresh fruit, and many other options. Beach was clean with nice lounge chairs. Bar service at the pool and beach were good. A few families with kids but mainly couples/friends. Not a loud night scene which was perfect for us.

This is not a brand new property but it has been well taken care of and the furniture, tv and bed were all updated. Only noticeable age issue was the bathtub was chipped in a few places. Great bed and pillows. We didn't spend much time in the room anyway. The room had a safe and service bar.

We were on the 7th floor with a great view of the beach and pool.

The service was great! From our check in at the front desk to the wait staff, housekeepers, concierge, bellman...you name it, we never had bad service! Wifi worked great in the room and lobby.

No complaints at all!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ogden, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at this property for 9 days. Everything was perfect. They have many different restaurants to choose from which are all amazing. Jorge is Las Casitas offered world class service. I am a former server and was really surprised by the amazing service. Belen? The concierge was also extremely helpful. If I ever go back I will stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
East Windsor, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property for a week and loved every single day we were there. The open air concept of the hotel is beautiful and there were waterfalls in the middle of the buildings. It was cool when it rained because it came through in the middle of the buildings and that was awesome to watch. The beach itself does not look like the pictures on the website and we did not go swimming in the ocean at all, but there were beautiful sunsets. The marina across the street is walking distance and has many options for dinner or lunch. We loved Vincent's restaurant and went there a few times and had many conversations with Vincent himself! We utilized the local bus and went downtown to Nuevo Vallarta a few days and loved the shopping and beaches there. Everyday people were building amazing sand castles to look at right along the main walk and there was so much to do! We even took the bus to the local shopping mall on a rainy day and we had a blast looking through the stores and shopping. There is a night club right near the property that we did not go to because that's not really our scene, but it looked like it could be a fun night. The hotel runs a ea turtle rescue program and that was probably one of the high lights of our trips, we thought is was really awesome. Each night around sunset, the staff brings out tubs of baby sea turtles that have hatched that day and they allow the guests to release them int the ocean. Not only is this a wonderful program to help some turtles survive against natural predators, but it was very fun and entertaining. After dinner we either went swimming or back to our room most nights because there wasn't much around and we did not feel safe to go exploring at night. Overall we had a very good experience and the property was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!