“Our annual 3 weeks in p.v.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa to your Saves list
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Paseo La Marina Norte 435 | Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night & $50 Credit
Ranked #10 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Henderson, Nevada
“Our annual 3 weeks in p.v.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This was our second time staying at the Casa Magna and was even better this year. The staff-from the check-in to the bar people to the buffet staff was beyond great. We ended up opting to stay at the hotel for their Thanksgiving Buffet which was delicious...something for everyone-from turkey to fish to pork chops plus live entertainment. Definitely worth the $$. Also loved the breakfast buffet...lots of items to choose from. Definitely will go back next year again...love the location, the staff and the food. Would definitely recommend to my friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Casa Magna is a large hotel, and is spread out over a pretty large compound. Even so, the staff makes it seem smaller and friendlier. From the bell hops, to the front desk, to the restaurant staff, housekeeping and everyone else, I was pleased with how friendly, responsive and courteous the staff was.

The rooms are somewhat small for the money, but the conveniences of the hotel make leaving it during the day kind of pointless except for the tourist stuff. The food from each of the restaurants was very good, but the star of the food was the breakfast buffet each day, which was fantastic!! It had everything for everyone. Everything was fresh and tasty, right down to the coffee.

The pool is large and the beach is convenient. If you want a good seat for sunning, you'll need to have one claimed by about 9AM, as they go quickly. There were plenty of servers for poolside drinks.

Internet was strong. $10US each day or $20US for 3 days. Most all the staff spoke very good english.

Room Tip: Bay views are ok if you are on a very high floor. Best views are pool/ocean.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was our second visit to this resort, and we enjoy it thouroughly. Check in was a breeze, ride from airport was uneventful and we were in our rooms 15 minutes after we left the airport. As folks have mentioned the property is an older property that has seen numerous renovations but the rooms themselves are decorated nicely and clean.

We did hear a few folks complain about minor issues but we never had an issue that was not resolved immediately. We truly appreciate the effort all of the staff put into making the experience genuine and we always look at the fact that we are in a foreign country as guests and need to understand that each country has their own beliefs and standards. We did see some folks berate the staff and lose their cool not understanding that they were asking for the world or thought they were better than everyone else.

Food on the property was on par with what we expected, we ate at Mikado twice and had great meals both times(2x1). The restaurant by the pool/beach was really good, enjoyed Shrimp Ceviche, margaritas, and other meals all 7 days. There is a gentleman that waits on folks poolside that is just amazing, attentive and will do whatever he can to help out. His name is Victor and you should make an effort to sit in his area at least once on your trip. He helped us with our spanish, gave us ideals for meals over at the marina and downtown.

We ate the rest of our meals over at the Marina 2.5 blocks from the hotel. It is worth the walk and they have some good restaurants for everyone. We liked Victor's Tacubar(yes, the spelling is correct) as the owner was spending time each evening with his guests and the food was very good. Save room before dinner for a shot and then after dinner for a complimentary drink as well.

We also ate at Senora Prime in the Marina and had some very, very good steak tacos and food.

Spa was one of the best we have been to, had a couples massage and then spent over an hour in the wellness area. The spa does run specials different days of the week so don't hesitate to ask.

The room can be damp depending on the time of day and your tastes in regards to the settings on the air conditioner. We brought a 'Damp Rid' with us and it worked perfect, we placed it in the closet with our clothes all day to keep things fresh and then took it out and left it in the room with us at night. Anyone going South should consider bringing one as they really do take the moisture out of the air, keep your clothes dry and fresh and make the room comfortable. You can get the hanging ones(3 total) for 10 dollars at Home Depot in the states.

For the Marriott Rewards Elite Members:
- Check in is right where you get dropped off outside at the hotel when you arrive from the airport. You will get your room keys and other details and then your bags will be brought to your room where the porter will scan your credit card for incidentals and provide other information. Don't go inside and wait in line at the normal check in place.
- We did get a room upgrade with our Gold level and faced the pool/ocean but not ocean front.
- Internet access was complimentary with our Gold level and worked perfect the entire time. Do not forget to ask your porter for information on how to access it and make sure it shows complimentary when you login the first time.
- We did not get complimentary breakfast since this is a 'Resort' property per the terms of the Rewards FAQ, this was not a deal breaker, everyone just needs to know that breakfast is not included as a elite Marriott member unless you book a deal with it included.

For the folks like us that are on a budget:
- Our room rate included $50.00 US credit per day for on site restaurants, spas and other limited activities.
- The hotel offers happy hours at different times across the different restaurants, most have posted signs stating the hours and details.
- Mikado restaurant was offering 2x1 for specific table meals during our stay on Monday/Thursday, we understand that it is normally only on Monday but since we visited during a slow time they added Thursday as well.
- Mikado offered 30% off from 6pm to 7pm daily.
- The spa had various offers, we ended up utilizing the 30% off for the entire spa package as long as we booked 3 days in advance. We booked as soon as we arrived and definitely helped us save money.
- Multiple restaurants at the Marina offer specials for drinks and food, don't be afraid to ask or stop and read the signs. The folks running the restaurants will bug you a bit to get you to go in, but it is worth it.
- Get your water, soda, beer and other needs at the OXXO store in the marina instead of the hotel. The hotel is expensive but they look at it as giving their guests convenience over having to lug stuff back to the room. We went to OXXO nightly and bought water, beer, snacks and other things each night for the following day and saved quite a bit of money.

We are planning another trip to PV next year and the Marriott for sure as it was a great overall experience for us.

Room Tip: Ocean front is limited, the only other options are pool/ocean view and garden view. You don't s...
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Went to PV with my husband and friends for my 50th birthday. The Casa Magna Marriott was a great place for this illustrious occasion. The staff was great, the place spotless and room very comfortable. I can't say enough about the staff at the breakfast buffet, the pool or the spa. Every morning an army of staff were readying the pool, beach chair area and grounds. I didn't see an errant piece of trash all week (1 day at the Mandarin Oriental in DC I found no less than 4 pieces of trash laying around the property). Housekeeping was superb and the room very, very clean.

Other folks on Trip Advisor have said how great the breakfast buffet is and they are absolutely correct. Fresh juice, delicious Mexican and American dishes. Eggs Benedict were to die for with just a bit of spice in the not so standard hollandaise. We paid an extra $10 a night for two breakfast buffets a day (totally worth it). I saw one of the servers at the pool actually sprinting to get drinks and serve the customers. We had a great time, and absolutely nothing happened that even remotely ruined my good time.

It's an 80 peso/$8 USD cab ride to downtown PV. Unless you are used to super hot sun, I suggest heading downtown to walk around early in the day. Less people, less vendors and less sunshine and heat.

We may have a repeat performance next year - December in PV beats December in Alaska any day of the week (and twice on Sundays).

p.s. don't miss happy hour 2-for-1 drinks Monday through Friday at the Lobby Bar.

Room Tip: I wouldn't go without at least an ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I really don't understand reviews on here at times. I had no problems whatsoever with this hotel, and for the price, it was an excellent value. I stayed in a garden-view room, which was fine because I didn't care about spending a bit extra for a view.

First, the hotel was very clean and well-kept. The bed was comfortable with clean, new blanket/sheets. The TV worked fine. The bathroom was very nice, including good towels. The water pressure was actually a bit strong, but better too strong than too weak. The AC worked fine.

The hotel itself is beautiful. The lobby (open-air) is quite nice, and was well-decorated for Christmas. The pool was well-kept and enjoyable, and I found the drinks at the pool bar to be well-priced too (for a Western hotel). The views were quite nice, and the pool goes right up to the beach.

I had no problems whatsoever with the service at the hotel. Everyone spoke good English if needed and were courteous.

We had a package that included breakfast, which I highly recommend. The food was great, fresh, and prepared to order (omelets, pancakes, waffles, chilaquiles, etc). The Mexican food was surprisingly good (I thought it would be too Americanized), and there were plenty of American breakfast choices too. It was also a great deal because I'd eat such a huge breakfast and not need to eat much of anything until dinner.

One thing you do need to know is that the hotel is in Marina Vallarta, and is about a 15 minute cab ride ($5-10 max total) to the Malecon (Boardwalk) and central Puerto Vallarta for shopping/nightlife. If you're looking to be able to walk out of your hotel to the Malecon /shopping area, then the Marriott is not your first bet. Otherwise, the Marriott was a great value for price, quality, and comfort of the stay.

Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My GF and I wanted to spend a romantic and peaceful vacation, we booked a room with ocean view. Everything seemed nice at first until we found that the TV didn't work properly. A technician was sent, spent 40 min trying to fix it and couldn't. Next day a different technician was sent and the problem was solved.
We checked in a wednesday, by friday, my GF's pijamas went missing.
Every day at 7am an electric generator ran so loud that it woke us on several occasions, though it seeme it was turned on because of some remodelings they were performing, it is rude to do that so early.
Our package included 2 national drinks: when we tryed to claim them, at first, the lady at the front desk said we didn't had anything. We spent half hour looking for someone that could just give us the drinks.
I found a dead bee on my bed once and my GF found a live cockroach when she was taking a shower.
The worst happened on saturday, when we came back. We arrived around 11pm and we found our door opened. That is unacceptable: we had all our stuff in there; my laptop, my watch, her beauty products, hair dryer, jewelry.
Nobody would even give us an explanation on what happened.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to take the time to thank you for your valuable comments, which for us represent an excellent feedback that allow us to identify our opportunity areas and improve our service.

Please accept my most sincere apology for all the inconvenience you had during your stay, please be certain that our goal is to provide our guest with the highest levels of quality to ensure the most pleasant time with us.

I will follow up your comments with all the team and will reinforce all the needed procedures to prevent the recurrence of similar events from happening again.

I hope to get the opportunity to have you as a guest again in the future; in the meantime if you have any additional feedback you would like to share with us or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at+52 (322) 226 0010 or at mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com I will be more than glad to assist you.

Please refer to this review when contacting us.

Best regards,

Teresa Paredes
Director of Room Operations
Long Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at casa magna for 4 days. I got a good deal on a garden view suite. It came with a $50 daily credit. Although we checked with them TWICE they still tried to charge us for expenses. Fixing the mistake at the end of my stay took 45 minutes! I still have to check to see if they reversed the dinner they charged directly onto my card.

Hotel: grounds are beautiful, pool needs updating.

Rooms: king bed garden suite first floor was great. No view but very convenient for me as we were traveling with our 9 month old baby. Very large and renovated with marble floors and a great bathroom. I'm
Pretty picky with hotel rooms and it was good enough for me.

Warning for travelers with babies: "cribs" that the hotel provIdes are old dingy travel playpens. My advice is to bring your own. It looks like it hadn't been washed in 5 years. They put so much effort into everything else it seems like they over looked this. Not marriot quality. I had to drape the bottom
And sides with thin bed sheets to make it tolerable. I really can believe they even thought that was acceptable to give to a guest .

Food: food was good. Very pricey though average price for a meal for two people with one drink each $45. You can eat in town for $10 a plate.

Mangos deli was great u can get a goood cup of coffee and a muffin

Service: everyone seemed non chalant it was a very slow time you would think they would go the extra mile.

Overall the experience was good for the price. There are areas that need work.

• Stayed December 2012
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you comments, for us it is priceless any feedback you can provide in order for us to improve the service you receive.

I am glad to hear you had a nice stay and that you enjoy our rooms as well as the coffee from our Deli Los Mangos.

I have brought to the attention of the Management the inconveniences you experienced and I want to assure you that we will be working in further training to avoid any similar situations.

If you have additional feedback or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at +52 (322) 226 0010 or at Mhrs.pvrmx.dor@marriotthotels.com I will be glad to assist you; please refer to this review when contacting us.

Best Regards,

Teresa Paredes
Director of Room Operations

Been to CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!