“Great hotel...EXCEPT...NOT so Pet friendly as they say...disappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Paseo de la Marina Sur No. 205 | Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico   |
Ranked #35 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
“Great hotel...EXCEPT...NOT so Pet friendly as they say...disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed 4 nights through the week of Sept 12-Sept 16. It was low season and not at all full or crowded. Lets divide this review in two:

The GOOD and GREAT:
The breakfast at the hotel was great and tasted delicious. We had it included in our stay. Very well rounded breakfast and everyday they would change some of the things on the menu to vary things out. The pool was very clean when I went, not full and quiet. The beach was ok, not as good as the Caribbean where I live of course jaja, but overall ok. Our room was the one with a jacuzzi in the balcony. We were in room 1020. Excellent and gorgeous view of the beach and the coastline. Loved it. Our room was very clean and no mold as others had experienced in other rooms. Bathroom was very clean as well. Jacuzzi was clean to my amazement. Service was excellent and room service as well. The lady at the Pergolas was so friendly and attentive to all of our needs.

The BAD:
When I reserved the hotel, I did it by phone directly through the Westin Hotel. After ALLLL the questions I had asked about having pets in the hotel and where they could go to, I decided to book it since it look promising for my dear Dixie (miniature schnauzer). However, it all started during my check in. Apparently the guy who did the reservation for me did not put down I had a dog with us. They wanted to change my room from a 10th floor room to a 1st floor room AFTER i had paid for a deposit. This was not fair, for I was not given the same explanation the guy in the check in area was telling me. EVERYONE in the hotel should know the rules for everything, that way this kind of things don;t occur. After arguing that that was not my problem and was a miscommunication from the hotel itself, they decided to let me stay in my original 10th floor room. After that was settled, I was given rules for the dog that were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the ones they gave me on the phone (and i called various times). To make things short, the dog could hardly stay outside her room. She could not even SIT on a pool chair. REALLY? I know dogs aren't allowed INSIDE the pool, BUT on a CHAIR????? That is ridiculous. On their restaurant El Palmar, where breakfast is held, there are tables on the outside and some tables that are WAY FAR from the restaurant itself. I could not even take my dog there either !!!!!! What is the point of having a "PET FRIENDLY" hotel if a dog is not allowed to do anything other than be in its room or at the beach. ReallY? ALSO, the hotel doesn't even have a dog day care, which should be important in a PET FRIENDLY hotel. This was a total disappointed by far. Don't call yourselves a pet friendly place when you limit pets to everything in 95% . We were obligated to leave out pet in an outside Dog Daycare for some of the activities, which was not fair for us or the dog. I will never return to this hotel with a pet.

WiFI:
seriously i had to pay for wifi??????? in a westin hotel??????? with all the money you guys get you should be able to afford wifi and not make us pay for it.

Room Tip: Great hotel, don't bring pets. Not so pet friendly. Great for couples, relaxing.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is a very nice hotel, as you would expect from a Westin. The pools are great and very kid friendly too. There's gift shop that carries any small necessities you might have forgotten. The food is good, especially the breakfast buffet, but it is pricey...US$27ish. You may also walk to the marina for lunch & dinner. You just get so much more for your money. The gym is nice and has most of the basics you need. The hotel location is in the Marina area, which is about a 15 min bus ride away from Downtown or 8 min cab ride. The marina area has many restaurants to choose from (and Starbucks!), but didn't have too much nightlife. I was here in off-season though so it may be different during peak season. We were a bit disappointed that there was not a concierge around to help us at the hotel. We kept asking the front desk questions, but they were often busy. And for massages, I would suggest going into the marina area bc you can get a 60 min massage for US$35 or $40. The Westin rates are typical rates you would find at a hotel. Overall, a very nice hotel that I would recommend staying at.

Room Tip: Request pool area
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Capistrano Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

While never staying in Puerta Vallarta I came to trip advisor to look at the ratings of the places to stay, originally booked at a another resort with cancelation within a 5 day period, while on the computer one day up popped a special for the Westin Puerta Vallarta, so I jumped on the opportunity, I'm glad that I did.
When I first arrived I was greeted by the friendly staff and directed to the front desk, they advised me of my room location but then also mentioned the complimentary upgrade to the 11th floor, got to my room and it was so nice, 1109.
While at the resort I went to the grayline tour and spoke with Miguel, he offered tours and I took him up on the zip line outdoor tour, which was totally professionally ran and would recommend that everyone do this tour.

Later that night I took a lady friend to the restaurant on site, food was excellent, sat outdoors and enjoyed a wonderful evening.

Did a walk around of the grounds, no street sale people out by the beach like other resorts had, which was very nice in my opinion, grounds were well kept up and very clean.
At the time of my stay it was very hot and humid, the room there was a de-humidifier which was a nice.

Here they provide water in every room, my friends stayed 3 resorts down and while stopping by my place they said your place is way nicer than the resort that they were staying at.

Wi-fi was provided in the downstairs lobby area free of charge, which worked very well.

Down stairs bar and swim up pool bars were very nice and the staff was friendly and always there to take care of any of your needs, every employee remembered your name and always welcomed you.

All in all when I return to Puerta Vallarta I will definitely be staying at the Westin Resort & Spa with no second thoughts of going else where.

Stayed August 2014
Napa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is my fourth review of this hotel as it represents our fourth annual return. See my previous reviews for more details. This review focuses on this trip.

Pros: This hotel's strength continues to lie in it's staff. Pedrito at the front continues to warmly welcome you "home" each evening. The front desk staff are always warm and gracious. Housekeeping is always exactly as we expect. The updated lobby is very nice.

Cons: The updated lobby begins and ends at the lobby. There's no evidence of updating anywhere. We're also growing tired of the 1980s "Mexican Contemporary" color scheme, stone flooring, and red marble countertops in the bathrooms.

The big disappointments for us on this trip were the breakfast buffet. It's not bad...don't get me wrong. There is some variety. But there's a certain staleness about the food that isn't prepared on the spot. I'm not sure if it's the humidity or what. But we both noted that the food seems to have gone downhill a little. And if you look at my previous reviews of this hotels dining options, you'll note that we refuse to eat dinner here. It's jut not worth it in any way!

The second big disappointment is the pool. Come on Westin! Are you serious? The volume of dead bugs floating on the surface, and the larger volume of debris drifting along the bottom is getting to be shameful. Worse still, the adult pool (the one where Tlaquepaque bar is located) needs to be re-done! The walking surfaces are stained dirty, there are missing tiles around some of the palm tree planters, and the pool-bottom is either missing plaster or has been poorly patched (lots of color variation). Because the pool is THE reason why we have continued to return to this hotel (you will be hard-pressed to find a nicer layout, that affords this much privacy), these mounting short-comings are causing us to seriously reconsider returning. In fact, we went to check out a neighboring competitor's rooms during our stay.

What's needed to keep our business? Rehab the pool! Improve the food quality. Refurbish the entire hotel public spaces AND rooms. The Westin Puerto Vallarta already has the "right staff" working for them. They are simply the best! But with an aging infrastructure, friendliness and familiarity will only take Westin so far when it comes to the returning vacationer. And the staff deserve that from Westin, given their dedication! Equally, for customers dropping a grand or two on a vacation, they have a right to expect this from a Westin (usually four star hotels).

Room Tip: All room face toward the ocean. The property has many palm trees between the beach and the hotel to...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Visalia, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I've stayed with Westins many times, as they are reliable and known for their hospitality and amenities. The pictures on the website are only accurate of the lobby. Views are amazing, staff is very nice. Location is nice, on the marina, bus ride or taxi is 15 mins to downtown. We traveled the first week of September 2014. There are a lot of bugs, so bring ur bug spray.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. We booked through Costco, so we had some nice upgrades, luckily, because I would have left without them. Rooms and pools are dated, especially for a Westin. Mostly in the details. Not many outlets, lamp shades aren't very clean, floors aren't like the lobby. Bathrooms seemed to be touched up with cocking often.

We had ants all over our desk and coffee area the second day here. They said they took care of it when we told them, found more when we got back. Finally gone after the second time we told them. Had a cute towel puppy on the bed as a result.

We stayed on the 12th floor, ocean view, great balcony. Part of our package included free wifi, a free pergola rental and upgraded room with complimentary breakfast, appetizers, and drinks which is on the 12th floor "lounge" as well. If you're looking for a quick bite or to save some money on meals, it's great. If you're a foodie, you'll be disappointed. Basic continental breakfast, plus a few hot dishes. But service is nice. Pretty much the same food as Las Palmas restaurant that is by the pool. Alcoholic beverages were pretty good. Didn't get to try the othrer higher end restaurant on site.

Overall, it was a nice trip for the cost, however, I don't think I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get on the 12th floor. This gives you the best view with access to complimentary food...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We arrived at the hotel impressed by the look of the exterior. Our room was beautiful fabulous linens, bathroom, size and view! Unfortunately my husband received an electrical shock from a lamp with very loose wires that were badly connected. We had to order coffee several times from house keeping before receiving it, which is a sad let down, considering how every thing else was so good.
All in all a good experience , but for a 5 star plus these small things need to be rectified.

Room Tip: Our room had beach views which were really good,and quiet, we had a room on floor 6 which was spacio...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at the Westin resort with my husband in July. We had booked our resort stay for 5 days. As soon as we arrived I was impressed with how renovated the lobby was. It looked modern and so clean. As we got our key with anticipation to see our room. We got to our room walked in, and that was the beginning of the disappointment. I was suprised how old and horrible the room smelled. I tried to keep a positive attitude and thought maybe im just being too negative. I decided to freshen up. I decided to take a shower. I turned the water on and immediately said ok something smells like it died in here. I asked my husband if tgis is normal. Later that evening I asked the front desk if anyone else complained about the smell. She told me not that she was aware. For a pricey resort I was disappointed, I could barley sleep. I just felt disgusted. Our room smelled horrible, the shower... the bell boy was extremely kind, the servers at the restaurant. Im just disappointed in the westin. If you choose to stay somewhere I advise you to stay elsewhere. This hotel isn't taken care of, qnd and for your hard earned money, you want to feel comfortable and enjoy your vacation. This place didnt do it for me. And I dont feel my standards are too high. I just truly feel that this particular resort isn't what you expect, and the westin dropped the ball on this one.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Eduardo B, Gerente at Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Tamra,

Thank you very much for your important feedback; your opinion is very valuable to us.
It was very disappointing to learn that according to your message, our quality standards in some of our services were below their normal operating level.

I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences; I assure you that necessary measures have been taken so this does not occur again to any of our guests.

We wish you give us another opportunity to serve you as deserve.

Cordially,

Eduardo Ballesteros

Been to Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!