“Great Staff and Pool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Paseo de la Marina Sur No. 205 | Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico   |
Ranked #31 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Francisco, California
“Great Staff and Pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Despite complications at check-in and with the bill at check-out, we had a wonderful stay. The staff is amazingly gracious. They remembered us by name throughout our stay and never stopped smiling. Our original room (728) was very comfortable, but the hotel next door had a screaming pool DJ that made afternoon naps impossible. Not The Westin's fault, but we requested a room change which we were granted (room1205). Even though it did not have the hot tub on the deck, we liked it better. It was quieter and had a lot more shade on the deck. The Royal Beach Club became a pleasant way to enjoy some cocktails and appetizers each night before we ventured out. Veronica took very good care of us. The pool was perfect; plenty of shade due to the mature palms that are omnipresent. We have stayed in many hotels in Vallarta, and this pool was the best. Special note to movie directors: put Pedro the chief doorman and greeter in a movie. He is as kind a man as we have ever met and could light up a screen. Make sure to go into the Marina for dinner. Portobello has the best AC and delicious Italian food. Carpaccio!!! And if you seek a romantic nightcap, El Faro is about as good as it gets. I will say the exterior architecture of the hotel is rather dismal, but once inside all is forgiven.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are very loud during the afternoons due to the neighboring hotel's very...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1,019 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
San Luis Obispo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Everything here is solid! I would say the jewel of this property is the amazing people that work there - everyone is helpful, friendly and kind. The property itself is beautiful with an abundance of mature palm trees, beautiful lawns and plantings and all well maintained. I honestly thought the hotel needs a bit of a facelift including the pool. The rooms (club level) are very nice with amenities and decor.

My big beef is that the room had two twin beds. Somehow, when we booked this trip, that detail evaded me or I would have never booked. We are a family of three, my teenage daughter who still (for a limited time) thinks its cool to travel with us, but my husband and I are not comfortable in a twin bed. Honestly, I think it is not to Westin standards to only offer rooms with a king size or two twin beds. This is not luxury. When I travel, I have the expectation that the hotel is going to be at the standard of my home or better. It's a major issue to me. Just be aware and manage your expectations accordingly. The view from our hotel was so good and that honestly made up for the size of the beds. Our balcony with seating area was well used and I recommend a room as high as you can go - the view of the whole bay is really beautiful.

We did an all inclusive package and found the Club amenities including private lounge to be a plus, again traveling with a teenager - they eat all day long, which adds up. We loved the swim up bar and made use of it each day.

This was our second year in a row of going to PV. Last year we stayed at an incredible property in the Riviera Naryit area and I have to say, the beach area at the Weston was better. We loved the water even in the evenings, the sunsets are ridiculously amazing. The vendors on the beach though are unrelenting - be aware. We also enjoyed the cabanas and lounge beds next to the beach with excellent pool side service.

Our meals were very good and again the service was excellent. We appreciated the wide range of offerings that were included in the inclusive plan and the drink selection as well. This included all of the restaurants on property as well as room service - all were very good.

We had massages everyday of vacation, starting with the couple giving foot massages out on the beach in front of the hotel. We also checked out two places in the Maria area right across the street from the hotel. All were amazing value. We splurged one day and had massages at the hotel - for me, it was the best massage of the trip. I highly recommend Raul!

All in all, I thought this was a great vacation for our family, we felt very welcome and were well taken care of by everyone at the Westin.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the SPG club rooms and lounge as well as the all inclusive program.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Beautiful hotel, good food. The room was great! But the best part was al the people there! Everyone was so gracious! The gym was good, in a spatious area and with air conditioning. Equipment well maintained although not state of the art. Spa is being remodeled and I look forward to visit it. Rosario gave me a great, relaxing and professional

• Stayed July 2014
Eduardo B, Gerente at Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Ana Luisa,

Thank you very much for your loyalty, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed our facilities and our service.

We value you recommend us with your comments, sharing his experience will help our future customers.

We would love the opportunity to serve you again in this home in Puerto Vallarta, and so have the opportunity to visit our new spa.

General manager
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Here for a work trip and had a very positive stay. The hotel staff and guest services were excellent -- really a model for what I would expect at a Starwood resort property and much better than what I've experienced in the U.S. at similar conference hotels/ resorts. The staff in the restaurant remembered my name every day, in particular Elio. The outdoor staff were consistently attentive. Grecia in conference services graciously helped with some special requests related to my work trip. Also the wifi signal was strong all in nearly every part of the hotel and grounds. The only improvement I would make is to the rooms and elevators. The a/c system seemed old in the guest rooms and non-existent in the elevators. They both seemed musty instead of having the fresh Westin smell that exists in the lobby area. But that maybe this is to be expected given in a humid/tropical location. Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view and balcony. Ask for a room on a high floor for a great view of the bay...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, we appreciate your loyalty.

We also thank your feedback, because constructive support from our guests is extremely important to us when trying to improve our quality and take measures in those areas which so require.

We will be happy to receive you back soon!

San Jose, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I really, really wanted to like this place but alas it was not meant to be. This hotel is like a pig with lipstick on. Don't get me wrong; pigs are not totally without virtue - it is where bacon comes from, but at the same time pigs are still pigs. This hotel has redeeming value in certain areas but the net-net is that this hotel isn't bacon, it is more like headcheese. When you think, "Westin" you think upscale and maybe even luxury. This hotel's best days are behind them. They are in desperate need of refurbishing. Let me break it down:

Room: The first room we got was dirty. Stains on the armchair and a layer of filth on a mini-bar that hasn't been used in what I guess is years. We got another room which was only about 10% less gross. Same filth on mini-bar and this armchair had grey colored stains instead of black like the previous room. Lots of rust on the metal parts of the bathtub. Someone else's hair on the sink counter top. We also had ants in our room. Hotel bed was not very "heavenly" as Westin purports them to be, but more like purgatory in terms of comfort. The furniture in my room was falling apart too. The night stand wobbled horribly because it was missing a piece and the lamps were lopsided.

Pool: The pool was nice but it needed a good scrubbing . I hate seeing settled dirt in the crevices and some of the tiles were missing. A little more chlorine would be nice too. Usually when you go to pools you have a faint scent of it lingering but not here, so it made me wonder how clean the water actually was.

Staff: The best thing about this place was the staff. From waitstaff to facilities, everyone was kind and welcoming. Kudos.

Food: The food at El Palomar was really good. I don't usually expect much of a breakfast buffet but it was not too shabby and we had dinner there too. The arrachera steak was delicious.

General thoughts: It could have been the time of year we went, but this place needs more pest abatement. I got bit twice by mosquitoes within 5 minutes of being in the lobby. Watch out for geckos in your room. Watch out for the birds that want to eat your food if you are dining outdoors, including the pool. They are aggressive as hell and will literally eat food off your plate. I watched a bird do it to another guest that turned her back. Stock up on snacks and drinks at the OXXO market across the street. The lobby area has no AC so be prepared to be sticky once you are out of your room.

Conclusion: If you get a good deal on a room here, like the Marina area, and don't mind some grossness, then stay. If you are old like me and paid good money to stay at an upscale place that should pay attention to the details then go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Eduardo B, Gerente at Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear guest,

I appreciate your feedback about your experience in our hotel, please accept our sincere apologies.
We really feel bad, that we have not met your expectations. Because our main goal is to make our guests have a refreshing stay.
We will definitely make an action plan with our department housekeeping, in order to avoid this type of situation for our future guests; thank you for your help in sharing your opinion.
We are happy that you enjoyed the food at "El Palmar"
We have plan of renovation of some areas of the hotel which you can enjoy during your next stop in Puerto Vallarta.
We hope to receive you in the near future to recover your trust.

General manager
Seattle WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It was our first time in Puerto Vallarta, and I'm glad we chose Westin. This property is not new, but it is very well maintained. The hotel is very clean; the entrance and the lobby are so inviting; the pool was sparkling (contrary to other reviews). Our room was clean and pretty, with 2 kings, and a balcony, overlooking the bay (we were placed on the 9th floor, one of the starwood preferred floors- it pays to be a starwood member!); the AC was strong (you need it in the humid mexican weather). We did not swim on the beach, though, but it was still very clean (the waters did not look swimmable; take one of the beach tours instead). The staff are all very friendly; special mention to Hugo at the entrance, who gave us tips on the ins and outs of the city. The hotel is very convenient in location; it is a short taxi ride to/from the airport (65 pesos, up to you if you want to tip); and for those adventurous like us, we took the bus the whole time we were in PV (7.50 pesos each way per person; the Mexicans were all very friendly and courteous; we never felt unsafe), which stops right in front of the hotel (very convenient!). There is also a convenience store right in front if you want to buy some stuff (and you can pay in US dollars, and they'll give you mexican pesos for change- very convenient if you don't have pesos (tip: do not exchange dollars at the airport, you'll get better rates at money exchanges; and if you exchange at a bank they would need your passport). The food at the restaurant was also good (we did not have the buffett, though). The hotel is also walking distance to the Marina, with some restaurants and shops. All in all, we would stay in this property again if we're back in PV. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: sign up for starwood membership so you can be in a preferred floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Eduardo B, Gerente at Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear guest,

I would like to thank and appreciate all your comments about your satisfactory stay with us;
It is great to know that you have plans to return to this amazing paradise, but especially, that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again at our beautiful hotel.
We'll let Hugo knows the congratulations, to continue giving the best of him. and keep making our guests' stay memorable.
Once again, thank you for all your comments and hope to see you soon.

BC, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've stayed at this resort a few times, and I must say it offers great value if you can get a room sale. This isn't 5 star, but very comfortable for the price, the food is good, not stellar, but better than a lot of hotels. The service is top notch, always aiming to please. You won't go wrong if you get this resort on sale.

PROS:
Comfortable beds
Spacious rooms with balcony (almost all have some sort of pool/ocean view)
Lots of pools! (Kids pools)
No LOUD party music pumping from speakers all day
Family Friendly
Great breakfast buffet with lots of options
Oceanside

CONS:
No long beaches to take a stroll along
Large property (some people like this)
A bit of a ways from Downtown Vallarta and amenities.
In Marina Area (not one of the most scenic areas in my opinion)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are pleased to receive your feedback and more than happy to know that facilities of the hotel were to your liking.
We hope to host you soon to this beautiful paradise in Puerto Vallarta

General Manager.

Been to Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!