“nice hotel with amazing views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Paseo de la Marina Sur No. 205 | Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta 48354, Mexico   |
Ranked #35 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Memphis, Tennessee
“nice hotel with amazing views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We went here last January, 2012 and the weather was just great. The hotel is nice but the rooms are dated, dark and kinda small. However, the balcony views are just beautiful. The grounds are nice and there is plenty of heated pool space. The food was great, we are vegetarians but they made me some great dishes. Service was great and we enjoyed the bar areas, not to crowded and could get a drink easily. We rented the private beds on the beach everyday and got great service from the waiter and girl who set up our ice and stuff. The beach is not so great, very small and the water is not that beautiful glowing blue that you would see i Cancun but hey..it is a beach. Beautiful mountains surround the area and the water so it is still pretty to look at. The beach vendors are relentless here...since the beach is so small they are literally on top of you, one after the other. Don't bother trying to pretend you are sleep cause they have no qualms about waking you up. There were some private boat venders on the beach offering tours, two really tan brothers, can't remember their names. Anyway, we took a boat out for an afternoon of whale watching and went to the natural park area. We did get to see whales and some fish, very nice. The weather was great for sunbathing but a little cold for snorkeling this time of year to me. I did not get to scuba on this trip. Usually we venture out but we stayed mostly on the resort this trip. All in all, nice trip

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
cristina_castillo, Director of Sales at Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Bonnie,

You are always welcome here in your second home, I am glad that you had a nice trip and enjoyed our pool area and facilities, our chefs are always ready to adapt and create the best possible meal for our wonderful guests. Take care and enjoy the summer!

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at this Hotel,from 24 to 30 of March 2013 and we realy had a very good stay and enjoyed the quiet , great service and hospitality
The breakfast buffet is the best and I would say overall the food is very good.
Hotel facilites are very goog , is a modern , well manteined and very clean hotel , the gym and the pool are good but th beach is small. The hotel is very well located , just minutes walking from the Marina, where there are many restaurants and boats, the area is nice and safe
The employees in general are very friendly and great service attitude. We had a geat time.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better ocean view
Dear Osvaldo,

This definitely is an excellent hotel to enjoy some rest & relaxation, we are happy that you were able to enjoy it to the fullest. On behalf of all of our staff we hope to see you both again soon thank you for the feedback!

Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We took our two kids over spring break and were delighted with our stay at the Westin. Although the hotel is aging, it was very well maintained and very clean. There were hotel maintenance people everywhere constantly cleaning, trimming, pruning etc. The restaurant was good and the hotel was very kid friendly. Most other people there were young families from Europe and the US. The beach was clean, kinda small, but well maintained. There were sea urchins on the rocks our in the water which was fun to see. As long as you stay away they weren't a problem. We took the bus into the old part of town. It was an adventure! The old town has a very expansive board walk. There was flea markets and all kinds of shopping. We really enjoyed our day in town. Felt very safe with the kids.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Greg,

Family vacations are always an adventure and we are glad it was a delight for you all, good memories are never forgotten. Thank you for your positive and friendly feedback and we hope to have your family back with us again as soon as possible, on behalf f the staff I extend our best wishes and thoughts for the family.

Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Westin is a good choice for a quality hotel chain. The Westin Puerto Vallarta is showing its age, but the facility is clean and well kept. The "Royal Beach Club" option is a good choice to ensure you get on the top two floors. The buffet breakfast in the Beach Club is adequate for a light breakfast. The afternoon "happy hour" is a must - and pays of the option if you two people have two drinks. The host and hostess in the Royal Beach Club were fantastic - pleasant and always ready to help.

The pools at the Westin are good. However, despite efforts by the staff to keep people from saving lounge chairs for the day - the practice was rampant. It's disturbing when guests come down early, get towels, place them on lounge chairs to reserve their spot and then disappear for hours and in some cases the entire day. The pools are large and there was no trouble finding spots even though we were told the hotel was full. The beach at the Westin is somewhat small and had far too many local 'vendors' for a Westin hotel. This was disappointing.

Among the good points at the Westin were the staff. Everyone was helpful and pleasant. There was not a single exception to this during our entire week. They even made it a point to use our names whenever possible. It's a great touch to order a drink at the pool and the server offers a personalized thank you.

While some of the reviews talk about the high prices at the restaurant and bars, we did not find this true. Yes, prices are a little higher than at the nearby Marina - which is full of restaurants and bars - but the Westin is not outrageous. We found the bar and dinner to be slightly lower than at a U.S. hotel. Our rule of thumb is - if you stay at an American hotel, you should expect to pay American prices - no matter what the country. And, even with the Royal Beach Club addition, the cost was still very reasonable at $169 a night.

We took a sunset sailing one night out of the Marina which was great. The service provided drinks and light snacks which were good. It was a great way to enjoy the water and see the city at sunset.

Being outside the city proper was a plus. We took a taxi and walked along the Boardwalk one evening. The taxi was only $8 U.S. each way and much more convenient than the bus. The Boardwalk is a must see for the experience. But, staying in an area with the added noise, congestion and tourist vendors is not for us.

All in all, the Westin provided a nice week in the sun. The hotel is a little dated and warn - so my 4 star is actually slightly less - perhaps closer to a 3.5 star. The hotel is definitely worth considering if you want a quality establishment, away from the crowds but within walking of shops and other restaurants (Marina) and great service.

Room Tip: Book the Royal Beach Club - The higher floor rooms, buffet breakfast and afternoon Happy Hour are we...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bill,

All of the comments and suggestions we receive are being reviewed and taken into account to enhance our hotel and better satisfy, or surpass, our guests’ needs. The comments you have left us are an opportunity for us and will reinforce the strong points of our service while strengthening the rest! Best wishes for this bright New Year.

Rohnert Park, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

First of all, when you arrive at the airport, do not pay more than 50 pesos to take a taxi to the Westin Resort and Spa in Puerto Vallarta. Also, do not tip the taxi driver. If the hotel would let you know this in advance (they could put this information on your reservation), it would be very helpful.

Pros:

1) The service was outstanding. Any concerns were addressed immediately and we loved Angel and Veronica who worked in the Royal Beach Club.

2) Request a Grand Deluxe Room. If you are Platinum member you get that upgrade automatically. We are a gold member and had to pay extra, but it was worth it. We had a jacuzzi on our balcony on the 10th floor and a beautiful view of the ocean. The Grand Deluxe Room also includes the Royal Beach Club which is a huge room on the twelfth floor (with a beautiful view of the ocean) which includes full breakfast (eggs, sausage, potatoes, granola, fruit, pastries, coffee, tea and juice) from 7-11 am and hors d'oeuvres from 5-8 pm. The hor d'oeuvres include three hot foods plus fresh vegies, fruit and a dessert. For several nights, we ate there for dinner.

3) Beautiful pool area. The water is heated in the pools and feels great. There are two large pools, plus you can share the facilities with the timeshare next door (Raintree). There are plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas for shade. The service for food and drinks was excellent. We spent several days lying around doing nothing. We also rented a special cabana by the ocean and loved it as well. Forty dollars to rent it was well worth it.

4) Within walking distance to the Marina and they have some great restaurants. Our favorites were Buchas (Mexican) who made guacamole at our table and had the biggest margaritas I have ever seen and a Brazilian Steak House where for 250 pesos it was all you can eat with five different kinds of steaks and an assortment of salads, rice and pasta.

5) We loved the exercise area in the spa and also our massage by the ocean.

Cons:

1) It is not the best location. It is a half an hour taxi ride into the city of Puerto Vallarta with the boardwalk and all the restaurants. That is too far and too expensive so we did not go into town that often. It is down low so you do not get the best view of the town and the whales and dolphins in the ocean. After surveying the area, we thought the best locations for a hotel were in Mismaloya and Conchas Chinas.

2) The beach is small and the vendors are bothering you constantly. The water is too cold and rough to swim.

3) They were always having some activity like bingo or pool exercise at the pool and the announcements and music were too loud. They had different music by the pool than at the beach and from some areas you had to listen to two different songs at the same time. You could hear the announcer for bingo up in the room as well. I personally like the sounds of nature. If you want to hear music, bring your headphones.

4) The hotel restaurant is too expensive.

Despite the cons, we were very pleased with our stay and had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Get the Grand Deluxe Room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
cristina_castillo, Director of Sales at Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your helpful review, we are pleased to know that your vacations were great and thank you for being a SPG member.

The taxi fares are different when you are taking a cab from the Airport into town because they have a monitored system. We hope to see you again at the Westin Resort & Spa in Puerto Vallarta and wish you all the best.

Director of Sales and Marketing
Puyallup, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

First, I would like to qualify this review by saying that I am a long time Starwood Platinum member; staying up to 100 nights a year in Starwood hotels. I have seen from stellar to really bad in the Starwood chain. This, ironically, is my first review on Trip Advisor (because I rely on this website so much myself).

There are two Starwood hotels to choose from in PV. I, obviously, chose the Westin because I believe that Westin(s) are a notch above Sheratons. This being said, I have to say that I was very pleased with my overall experience during my stay (6 nights / 7 days).

From the start, I was obviously valued as a Platinum member. While this may seem to be obvious, it most surely is not, as there are many hotels that cater to business travelers; wherein a Platinum member is no different that any other patron. The Westin PV, however, valued my status. I was in communications with Gabriela Franco, a concierge at the hotel, prior to arrival. Ms Franco assured me that my wife's birthday, as well as mine would be recognized upon arrival. She followed through by not only placing chocolate covered strawberries in our room upon arrival, but, upgrading me to a suite with a Jacuzzi on its balcony (she did this without using my applied SPG50 Suite Night Upgrades; having returned them to my account). Ms Franco is a standout employee at this hotel and I would recommend any advance communications you may need to be directed her way.

The overall hotel appearance is very clean with beautiful landscaping. Every staff member from front desk to housekeeper was very pleasant and seemed to value our patronage. The hotel is physically adjacent to Club Regina (timeshares); that from what I understand used to be owned by Starwood as well. Regina's buildings are in need of some paint, but are not too offsetting.

The Westin's Fitness Center was top-notch. It is shared by snotty time-share people who think they own the joint, but, as with all gyms...you have to own your space as they did. All equipment is new and up to date. There are free weights, a variety of machines to choose from as well as multiple cardio machines and a hardwood'ed room with inflatable balls, etcetera.

The rooms are very nice. I have only three complaints about the Westin PV and two of them are about my room. First, my AC was on the fritz and even with maintenance coming to "fix" it, it was still very warm (something that just happens and I am not gigging the Westin for this). Secondly and maybe most importantly, the beds are hard and very uncomfortable. We most certainty did not have the Suite Sleeper bed that this chain is known for. We traded pillows with our friends who had two double beds and didn't need all of theirs.

As for the other complaint. Don't eat in the restaurant at the hotel. We arrived with only two other tables being occupied. We still had extended wait times for our wait staff, to include our food that came out cold sans one out of four dishes. I would normally send plates back, however, there was no waiter for a good ten minutes after finally receiving our food. When I told the waiter that our food was cold, his response was a snarky apology with an offer of free wine (something we did not take him up on). There are several options to eat at in the very near (walking) distance. The Westin is expensive and obviously not worth the money.

The pool at this hotel is wonderful. There is an adjacent kiddie pool, so the adult pool is,...mostly adults with a nice swim up bar :o). I would really recommend doing as we did one day and rent a private cabana on the beach. We paid only $50 for this exclusive day with your own waiter etcetera.

I have read a lot of negative reviews about the beach at the Westin PV, but, I have to say I disagree with them. Now, if you are looking for party central, with thousands of bikini clad babes and drunken dudes,...this is not your place. However, if you are looking for a private little beach to sun or rent jet skis, swim, sail, etcetera,...this beach is for you. The vendors do a good job of staying off the hotel property, but once on the beach you are free game. Just look them in the eye and say no thanks...worked for me.

I want to give this resort 4&1/2 stars out of 5 but don't know how. It shied from 5 stars mainly due to their beds and their restaurant. I most definitely plan on making this a regular vacation destination! I would recommend this hotel to all couples and families for sure. If you are a spring-breaker or early twenties looking to party; you may want to stay in the downtown area and out of the Marina.

Room Tip: Get the Junior Suite. It is great for those that enjoy a sunset from your private Jacuzzi on you ba...
Dear David,

Our team at the Westin PV would like to thank you for your preference, and of course for your excellent feedback. Gabriela Franco is an excellent front desk manager and is always willing to help; our master concierge Josefina Ortega is very knowledgeable regarding Puerto Vallarta and its surrounding area and knows almost all there is to know about tours, restaurants and other destinations.

Our thanks for joining the SPG membership program; it is always rewarding to see first hand how much this service is appreciated. Your suggestions and comments are being taken into account, thank you once again for your preference and we await your return here in your home away from home.

Director of Sales and Marketing
Niagara on the Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Go to the beach and find Fernando or call his cell 044-322-147-0860. He's usually on the beach by the hotel first thing in the morning or around 4 p.m. Just ask any of the Mexicans who are selling things. He's a delightful, amusing fun tour guide with a twin engine outboard that seats eight with a Bimini cover for sun protection and cushioned bow rider. It's immaculate and has a cooler. Fernando speaks great English and is desperate to make sure you're happy and have everything your heart desires.. Boat rental is $40 U.S. per hour. He also provides snorkelling equipment and life jackets and accommodates deep sea fishing, sunrise and sunset outings We had a fantastic time. He took us down the coast to a great little beach and restaurant that can't be reached by road. We were surrounded by dolphins at one point and snorkelled amongst brilliant schools of fish. It was totally worth every penny. A truly authentic Mexican experience.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Susan,

Puerto Vallarta has many delightful experiences and tours, we are glad that you were able to enjoy the boat charters that Vallarta has to offer and hope to see you next time here in your home away from home.

Regards,

Director of Sales

Been to Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!