“Great Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa

You added Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Olas Altas 380 | Col. Emiliano Zapata, Puerto Vallarta 48380, Mexico   |
Special Price
35% off room rate
Ranked #26 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Villas, New Jersey
“Great Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We love this hotel. We've been here 5 times and have booked our next trip already. We usually come over Christmas/New Year's and meet up with a lot of friends we've met over the years. Our group is probably close to 40 people now. We love it because the hotel is quaint, charming and located right on the beach. The rooms are colonial and plenty big enough for your needs with a great bathroom, excellent service and most have a great view of the beach/water. You can do an all-inclusive for your entire trip or a day at a time if you want to explore other great restaurants in Old Town. This year, we helped plan a surprise wedding for a friend of ours, with the help of Rogerio (Manager) and Magda (customer relations). We couldn't have pulled it off without them. They were great to work with. It was the same night of the new pier opening, so there were a lot of people on the beach along with fireworks. Everything was exquisite & perfect from the preparations to the tent on the beach to the food & service. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, great beach, friendly & accommodating staff (especially Martha at the front desk), a place that's not "stuffy" (like other all-inclusives), comfortable rooms & a great party on New Year's Eve right in front of the hotel in the street with fireworks on the beach, then this is the place for you. You won't be dissapointed. You can contact the hotel directly & ask for Margarita - she's the best!

Room Tip: When you walk through the lobby to the pool area, the rooms to the right are great, especially from...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This was my first trip and stay in Puerto Vallarta and booked with Expedia.
Upon arriving at the hotel, they couldn't find my reservation but gave us a crappy room and told us to come back to the desk the next afternoon when more people check out to get a better room. We were upgraded to a free Superior Room with 2 dble beds and a balcony view of the pool area/beach. I found the beds to be ok to sleep on, not too hard not too soft but I was comfortable. You are not here to sleep all day while on vacation. The water pressure in the showers isn't the greatest and the water does sometimes go out here and there but it wasn't a problem, was still able to get a decent shower when I wanted too. I didn't get the all inclusive plan because there is so many local restaurants and bars in the area which gives you better fresher food than the hotel restuarant itself so I wouldnt advise call all inclusive. We never ate at the hotel rest and the buffet choices were not that great to choose from anyways.

This hotel is advertised as a family friendly oriented hotel so they were families, kids, older people seniors and LGBT people as well as the Gay Village is right in the whole area of the hotel and the romantica zone. The hotel pools and hot tub were great. Maids cleaned our rooms everyday and the rooms were in good condition, had Air Conditioning, TV, and a free safe to use. Never had any problems with the room or housekeeping, friendly staff.

The only complaint I have is the Wi-FI in the hotel is AWFUL!. It only really works by the lobby and pool area but no where else. It also keeps cutiing out here and there throughout the day so this was very inconvienent. I would stay at this hotel again but only if the wi-fi was in better working condition.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Pleasant Hill, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I just came back from a wonderful week staying at the Playa Los Arcos. We had, for the most part, a great time. We had a nice room with AC overlooking the ocean. The best beach in Puerto Vallarta is in front of the hotel, and we were surprised how many people from other resorts and hotels were paying for the privelege of sharing the beach with us. Yes, there are alot of vendors on the beach bugging you, but remember, this is Mexico, and unemployment is out of control. Just learn to say "no gracias" every three to four minutes and you will be fine. The inclusive plan is the way to go!
The quality of the food ranges from fair to very good, but the money you save on both food and the bar over the course of the week is significant. The pools and grounds were nice, and helped create a nice, relaxing, vacation experience. We had two massages during our stay, and both were very good. The only complaint I had was the lousy wireless internet, which I hope management will repair soon.

We had a great week there, came back to work relaxed and rejuvenated, and hope to go back soon!

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Our travel agent found this place for us after we told him we were not interested in an all-inclusive resort but preferred to stay in an area where we could walk and explore and find our own restaurants and watch the people. Playa Los Arcos fulfilled all those expectations. The room was billed as "superior ocean view" and gave us a direct view of the beach even though we were close to the street. It was fairly small, and linens and towels were quite worn. Water pressure was unpredictable, leading once to a stopped toilet and to a short-term lack of hot water several times. Maid service was excellent, and we left a tip each day. Never did go in the pools, as they seemed to be on the cool side. Beach is only a few steps away, and the towel stand guy was very helpful in terms of finding us loungers and an umbrella to use all day (he got a good tip also). We bought coupons for the breakfast buffet, but would not do so again since it would be easy to find breakfast at nearby restaurants for half the price. Location is perfect for exploring old Puerto Vallarta, the restaurants, art gallery district, Rio Cuale Island, and people-watching. Find a good nearby restaurant for dinner (e.g., La Palapa, Daiquiri Dicks, Si Senor, etc.) but save room for dessert. Then walk north on the Malecon until you find the seaside food vendors; one of them sells desserts, including flan and cheesecake. Room tip: I agree with those who suggest upgrading to a larger room. For lots of sun, choose a room on the north wing (might be too hot in midday.) Upper floor balconies on the south side offer shade in midday, but no sunset views. Don't bother with the hotel restaurant. PLA advertises itself as "family-oriented" and we saw lots of families with kids. People were from everywhere in Mexico, Canada, USA, and Europe. Some were in their 80's and had been coming the last 40 years. There also appeared to be many gay couples.

Room Tip: North wing, upper floors: full daytime sun and sunset view South wing, upper floors: daytime shad...
Tyler, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have stayed at the Playa Los Arcos 4 times in past 10 years. I had booked a "superior ocean view, king bed room" back in October with all inclusive plan. Upon arrival last Wednesday, I was taken to a extremely small room with 2 double beds and alley view. I had previously stayed in my requested room type before so I knew what I thought to expect. I was given a second room, with a king bed (oh, the beds in each room compared to lying on slate steel), the second room overlooked the top of the lobby, no pool or ocean view, and no air conditioning. I was then "upgraded" to a suite. It was a very old and small entrance area, a restroom only large enough for one person to walk into, turn around, and again, an extremely steel type mattress. No air conditioning. I again went back to front desk, and again told no rooms like the one I had requested and verified with the "manager" one week prior. I requested a fan to try to sleep the night as it was late, no fans. I slept with windows open, did not get but about 2 hours sleep because of party noise, dogs barking and heat! At 0700 Thursday morning I checked ouit and went to the Sheraton Hotel, which I got a great hotel with free breakfast each morning cheaper than the Los Arcos. The food and drinks the first night there were "canned" type, and weak. I will NEVER stay at this property again regardless of its proximity to the best dining spots, terrible beach vendors, dimpy pool with lots of kids. This hotel needs to be bull dozed down and built back from scratch!

Room Tip: If you like sleeping on a pool table soft bed, this is place for you!
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have been to PV 6 times, I was shocked as to the dog population. up to as many three dog per owner, sledom were leashes ever used. seriously annoying while trying to eat out doors. If you are not a dog lover, you may not be happy.
Poor internet connection, in fact found a little coffee shop up the block that was perfect and reduced frustration to communicate back home.
first time staying at Donna Suzanna/Los arcos all adult, think best choice compared to the sisters. I had an all inclusive which allowed me to use all three properties. The food was very much the same every day, got very bored and went out to purchase meals.
Of all of the three Donna Susanna was the most quite. My partners complained about noise all night long at the other locations, and was not restful. Party zone.
loved Yoga on the beach included..just very distracting allot of interuptions. service seem to be good as long as you tiped. I will look for another vacation site for my next trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
green bay wisconsin.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Hello everyone, my husband and I just got back from a 6 night stay in beautiful puerto vallarta. We were there from January 18-24. We read many reviews and first booked our visit for Casa Dona Susanna. We were not happy with the hotel. It is small and we had bugs in our sink. Once we requested a change the staff was very willing to change our room. We wound up in a standard room at the Playa Los Arcos. I was very pleased with the hotel. It is right on the beach and is very nice for the price. We did do the all inclusive but I would not recommend it. There are so many wonderful places to eat and socialize within the historic district that an all inclusive is not required. There is a section of the hotel restaurant that is for non all inclusive guests. This section allows people to choose from many different foods. Those with the all inclusive are required to eat from the buffet; which is ok. Not the greatest, but not the worst either. There are just so many cheap and wonderful places to eat that we spent most of our time outside the restaurant of the hotel. The view from the hotel is beautiful and it is right on the beach and boardwalk. We walked nightly downtown to the night clubs without any problem. The people were all extremely friendly and helpful. (even the cab drivers). There are many vendors on the beach but they are respectful when you refuse. In fact we actually asked a vendor to come back to us the next day at 9am since we had left our money in our room and did not feel like running up to get money. I was hoping she would come back since I did want to purchase from her. I really did not think she would, but low and behold right at 9am she was exactly where I asked her to meet us. VERY friendly people. The staff at the hotel is very nice and they are revisiting ways to improve. I would like to see them offer dinner on the beach (even the buffet) to their customers, since it is such a beautiful view. The hotel was very clean and the maid service was exceptional. The hotel is NOT the timeshare new looking quality, so at first it may be a bit less than one might expect to see upon walking in. It does not have the plasma tv, wet bar, etc that one might see in the new hotels in the US; but with a beach right outside the door, who really needs that? I must say I was expecting the same look of room that we usually see in the US and was at first taken back by the historical theme and standard look. But honestly, once I realized the area and the culture, it did rank right up there for quality and cost due to the service and care given. We met people on a day tour, that we invited to hit the board walk with us. They were staying at the Pelicanos I believe was the name and after seeing where we were located and the nice hotel we were at, they mentioned that they wished they knew about this hotel before booking. I would recommend this hotel and would absolutely stay here again. I would request a master ocean view room next time. Or room had an ocean view, but WOW the view from the front rooms was absolutely amazing. I do not usually leave reviews, but I thought it was important since we did change our room from the Casa Dona Susana. I would not recommend that hotel based upon the issues we had with bugs in our bathroom sink, but this sister hotel Playa Los Arcos right across the street is one I would recommend. Oh and make sure to go to andale right up the street it is a fun place. The tequila store right next to andale also has great prices and a very friendly man that will provide samples til your hearts content. I had never been to puerto vallarta but the locals, hotel staff, taxi drivers, staff at the night clubs made it very welcoming and it will be one of my annual vacation destinations; as well playa los arcos will be my choice of hotels in which to stay. :0)

Room Tip: ask for a master ocean view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!