“Stopped by, no reservations, was pleased.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa

You added Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Olas Altas 380 | Col. Emiliano Zapata, Puerto Vallarta 48280, Mexico   |
Special Price
35% off room rate
Ranked #30 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Dana Point, California
“Stopped by, no reservations, was pleased.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Friend and I flew down, took a taxi to the area and picked out Los Arcos almost at random. Got an upgraded room with king on 4th floor ocean front and enjoyed. The staff was friendly and service in the restaurant outstanding. We took the all inclusive option and were impressed with the buffet, both at breakfast and dinner. I have been at other PV hotels with all inclusive and found their food lacking in comparison. My friend, a native of Mexico, was more than satisfied with the authenticity of the food.
A nice walk every evening to the clubs on the melecon then back to the room to fall asleep with the sound of the surf..... life is good!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

For over 30 years I've visited Mexico and as of 2013 the tide has turned. A recent trip to Puerto Vallarta, I stayed at Playa Los Arcos an old hotel in old town. Much in need of renovation, the staff are kind but the hard beds, and sandy floors and outdated bathrooms are certainly not worth the $100+ nite rates.
In addition the more popular beach now charge daily minimums at least over the xmas break, along with fees for bathroom services, add to this the ubiquitous hawkers, Puerto Vallarta is no longer an ideal vacation destination for bargain travelers.
If you're a west coaster I would definitely return my sites to the tried and true ultimate vacation destination that has no equal...the islands of Hawaii, where quality, tranquility and value combine to make the ideal vacation for couples, families, retirees and anyone seeking the best of the best yet not getting ripped off.

Room Tip: Definitely don't settle for the first room they give you, yet all rooms have terrible mattresses...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Longmont, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have stayed at Playa Los Arco many times. The location is great, easy walk into town and great restaurants within walking distance. The hotel itself is old and small. The rooms on the street side are noisy...last year we had trouble getting our room and the front desk was very uninterested in our concerns. We had chatted online with them before we arrived about upgrading the room and had records with us, but they claimed they had no records of our requests. Even with the problems, the location is prime and to us, is worth the hassles of staff. We are heading there again soon and hope that the staff is more interested in customer service then it was last year.

Room Tip: Try to avoid street side
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times, I think it is the best option if you decide to stay in downtown PV. The pool is medium sized, although can get a little crowded on the weekends, there is always room on the beach which I prefer anyway. I would say the service is overall average. Everyone is extremely nice although occasionally can be a little slower than we're used to in the U.S. Sometimes there seems to be confusion over the beach towel process, and if you go do not lose your beach towel card.

I recommend staying in one of the junior suites. They are the perfect size with a little kitchenette and living area, with a nice bedroom and decent shower set-up. I also recommend staying on the 2nd floor or above as I think the ones on the ground level by the pool would be too noisy. Go with an ocean view room if possible.

The best part of this hotel is the location, as your right by a ton of great restaurants and shopping. Also being right on the beach the Malecon is just outside, so great for exercising or a relaxing walk. If your main priorities while on vacation are beach time, good food, shopping, and actually enjoying Mexico instead of staying enclosed in a resort, stay here!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor or above, with ocean view or balcony. Ground floor rooms by the pool are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I love old Vallarata and feel comfortable there when I travel alone which I did in November. The rooms are adequate, have air conditioning, a good sized bath tub and a balcony. For me that's perfect. It is not far from the Malecon and I walk early every morning. I don't mind the vendors at all and usually sit on the beach. I usually buy a muffin and fresh fruit every day and grilled fish a couple of times in the week. I do not pay for the all inclusive as I don't drink alcohol and there are many great small restaurants within walking distance. The staff are friendly and the guests are a mix of Mexican, American and Canadian - singles, families and couples. Coming from the cold and rain in Vancouver - the climate is a dream!

Room Tip: Being on a higher floor avoids beach and pool noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Oakland, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Let me start by saying that this is only my opinion, which is subjective--tho I will be as factual and short as possible.

Pros- staff were helpful. its in a central location. If you get a room with a balcony the views can be awesome.

Cons- I slept in two different rooms and both beds felt as if they were made of cement blocks. The rooms are musty and lack ventilation. Bathrooms are small. paint in rooms is old and have foot and hand marks all over the place. The air conditioner is super old and isnt installed properly--as in, it sucks the air from the room and blows it back out circulating stagnant-stale air for as long as you have the air on. The bathrooms are tiny and stink of staleness and other unpleasantness. the furniture is old and has sharp edges (children and clumsy people beware). You only get water throughout the day (they give you two bottles per day but you can ask for more as the day continues) but cannot get any water in the evening. the shower curtains are stained and old. the curtains are old as hell and stink. Really the newest thing in the hotel rooms are the door locks (where a card is used for entry), everything else seems to be bought in 1966. The buffet sucked but the drinks were alright.
I would NOT stay in this place! Id rather bring a tent and sleep there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I think for Puerto Vallarta, this is the best location if you want to be in the heart of the old part of town and right on the beach. We were here a couple nights right before New Years and it was crazy busy. The beach was so busy, we didn't really ever hang out there. The pool area was fun but a bit tight, not a lot of lying out area. And for some reason the workers kept throwing balloons in the pool, and we couldn't get away from the balloons. We have a 18 month old and thought the little kiddie pool would be perfect, but it was too cold. Most of the pool area doesn't get sun during the winter time. But the other pools are heated.
The room was dark and dingy. Old and not renovated in a while. However, our sister's room was even older and less modern, so I guess ours was renovated a bit. But I believe there are some renovated rooms that are probably much nicer. Our room also had paper thin walls and door so we could hear everything from the street. It was soooo loud. We couldn't sleep til the club closed around 2am.
The service is fine, nothing amazing. Just fine.
The location though is perfect I think. Not in Big resort world, still has some character and in the heart of the romantic zone and the Malecon. Perfect for walkers and explorers.
I would stay here again but in a better renovated room with a view.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!