“amazing vacation at a very affordable rate plus location, location, LOCATION!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of San Marino Hotel

You added San Marino Hotel to your Saves list
San Marino Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rodolfo Gomez 111 | Col. Emiliano Zapata, Puerto Vallarta 48380, Mexico   |
Ranked #84 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Los Angeles
“amazing vacation at a very affordable rate plus location, location, LOCATION!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

I spent the summer in the neighboring state of Michoacan and traveled by car to PV with extended family. We had the all-inclusive for three nights and it was well worth it. it avgd out to about $100US (for myself) for the entire time and three meals a day, open bar.

the view was to die for! with a spacious balcony right next to the beach.

the room itself included a kitchen with dining area, big bathroom, and two queen beds in the bedroom, all the essentials.

the location of the hotel is perfect! right on the beach, and a nice walk to the malecon which offers a wonderful nightlife. we ate at the hotel so i cant say much about the restaurants in the area.

the staff at the san marino is very friendly. great "entertainers" by the pool area. the hotel actually has 100pesos ($10US) cover which includes a drink, for specific nightclubs every day (you can as at the front desk) and they provide transportation. the hotel has several activities for free, just sign up. they took us kayaking on the ocean one morning.

we also went on the famous "banana", but that was not through the hotel. there is a museum that we visited in an attempt to avoid the heat in the AC, right at the beginning of the malecon. all in all, puerto vallarta is a wonderful place to vacation at and with places like the san marino, its very affordable for the average joe. not luxurious, but very spacious and provides all the necessary on a wonderful location. with an open mind, you might just have the vacation of a lifetime!

will def. go back with my bf and explore the area more.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Just returned from Hotel San Marino in PV. Had read some negative reviews on here about the hotel, but we found it to be perfect. No, it is not a 5 star hotel--and doesn't claim to be. It is an authentic Mexican hotel with all of the charm of this region of Mexico. My husband is disabled, and even though this hotel is not handicap accessible, everyone from hotel staff-- to beach vendors-- to nationals who were vacationing-- helped us with his wheelchair, etc.. The food was okay, but the hotel is surrounded with fabulous Old Town restaurants. I have visited PV many times a year for 42 years, have had my own condo down there, and the San Marino blended beautifully with all of my memories. Thank you to everyone who made our vacation fabulous!
PS-Spring for the junior suites, ocean view. Well worth the money!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

...it probably is. We stayed here last week and was greated at the door with drinks. At this point things are looking nice and relaxing. We were given our key and with a remote control for the TV and squeezed into the tiny elevator to take us to our floor. Once to our room door, we opened it and was hit with the smell of must. With air conditioning the smell will go away. The bed was hard as a rock, partially because there was no box spring. The mattress literally was sitting on a cement slab. The rooms are way out dated with only 1 plug for electronics. The bathroom had a leak in the celing that would drip on you occasionly while you stood at the sink. The street was below our balcony and it was not quiet. Loud music, car doors slamming, trucks unloading, and people yelling was the normal noises. Especially in the early morning hours. We never had a good meal here at this hotel. The beef was definetly from an old cow or bull. We had octopus everynight but it was called something different but it all looked the same. The beach is loaded with peddlers trying to sell stuff so you cant have a relaxing time on it. Also the hotel is on the edge of the Gay district. But the staff was very good and the out door pools were nice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

this was my 10th time staying at the San Marino. It was great to be welcomed back by the staff and to reunite with many other guests who return each year.
The check in staff - manager Luis, Sandra, Gaby and others were efficient and friendly.
The buffet staff- Alex, Felix, Edgar, Emanuel and the bartender Victor took very good care of everyone.
The room was spotlessly clean every day.
The buffet was more expansive than last year with more choices. Only one meal in three weeks was not to my taste. However you are not paying a fortune to stay there so it is a great opportunity to try out the many wonderful restaurants in the neighbourhood.
The location cannot be beat as you can walk anywhere you want to go. If you go further afield buses and taxis are reasonably priced.
This time I brought two friends with me who had never visited Puerto Vallarta before and were impressed by the city, the amenities and the people. They were pleased with the hotel and want to return with me again next year.
Will I be back? You bet! It is a great value for the travel dollar.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
winnipeg manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

this was my first time at san marino pv a friend had recommended my fiance myself and a friend to go here it was awesome had an amazing time. The staff and the hotel accomadations were all good for the money we paid. if you are all about the five star hotels this is not the place for you but if you are thankful to be able to go on a holiday and enjoy the small things in life this is the place for you!!! There is lots of resturants near by to try out if you get sick of the food or even to go out on your last night and have dinner on the beach which is amazing. I do think they should have more options for a vegetarian but all in all it was great. The rooms are avarage but remember your on a holiday how much time do you spend in your room anyway?! there was no bed bugs and it was clean the room service was top notch, and the front desk was always helpful. very gay friendly area makes you feel comfortable and at home. if your not open minded you may not like it here. the sun sets are beautiful and everyone was very friendly. my friend was also tellin us about how they use to have a mexican fiesta night once a week they dont have one anymore but was looking forward to it i think they should bring that back for one night of entertainment at the hotel, there was no nightly entertainment but there were many night clubs near by which are open late and are good times you can check a new one out every night. I loved san marino pv and will definetly come back!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

We went down with a group of 9. I brought my 6 month and 5 year old sons. The location was perfect. Put both kids in stroller and went for walks twice a day. Always alot to see and kids loved it. Pier was great to have right in front we went fishing several times. A lot of day and night entertainment always close by and amazing beach side restaurants, but we only ate out once. I read alot of previous reviews and was nervous about the food, but it was great. Not a crazy variety but everything always very tasty. Breakfast was especially good cause Im not used to eating it but lunches and suppers were also really good. Great fish! My 5 year old picky eater ate well. There were alot of other families for my kids to play with but also a lot a room to be away from kids if you needed a break. Staff was great with helping ( I always had a stroller so they helped with some of the stairs). My room was always cleaned really well. I was really impressed. My room had amazing air conditioning that worked so well I had to turn off. I had a side view onto the front street/ mountains and loved it I would recommend over the ocean view. We bought our tickets for activities from hotel as well and got a good deal. If your looking for a five star to sit around and be served definitely not the place, but if your looking for somewhere to stay to be able to explore Puerta Vallarta (which is kinda the point of travelling!) this place was perfect!! I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Stayed at the San Marino Hotel last April and returned again this year in March. I noticed the Hotel seemed to be a little more polished this year and was nice to see the omlet station operational, at least most days. Recognized some familiar faces and in return the same. We again upgraded to an ocean front room and would also do this on future trips. I think it is worth the added expense as the rooms really do have a great ocean view and are larger. If you are looking for good value, clean accommodation right downtown, I think this is a perfect spot.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to San Marino Hotel? Share your experiences!