“Good Value - Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Mexico 1301, Puerto Vallarta 48350, Mexico   |
Ranked #53 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Kelowna, Canada
“Good Value - Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The order of our criteria was firstly BEACH, secondly, location to malecon and old town, and the rest was just clean and reasonably good service. The Buenaventura met ALL of our expectations. (BTW, we have travelled to many locations in Mexico, both A/I and a la carte, so have comparisons)
BEACH: Five out of five - went swimming in the ocean every day
LOCATION: Five out of five - Walked every day to old town and buses ran a short block away and were very easy to ride; meaning getting directions etc.
FOOD: Average - some was good. Compared to some other a/i resorts, not as much variety, but hey, you get what you pay for. If you want 5*, then pay for it !!
SERVICE: Absolutely outstanding !! We did not encounter one staff member who was surly or uncooperative. They all went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Special mention to Paloma our concierge; and our waiters especially Joel.
ROOMS: Average - totally adequate and met our needs. We had plenty of hot water, good pressure, a/c worked great - what else does one need !
RESORT SIZE: We chose this resort also for its size. We prefer this to the large monolithic 800 room resorts where one has to walk miles to get to facilities, beach, etc.
All in all - we would definitely return to the Buenaventura if visiting PV again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
bv_grand_hotel, Chief Concierge at Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear LindaF F from Kelowna, Canada:

Please receive my warm regards and let me take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience in our Hotel, and also for the good comments about our service and hotel facilities.

Our main hope and ultimate goal is that our guests think of the Buenaventura Grand as of their home away from home!

I am looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Truly yours,

Paloma Nataly Bravo
Chief Concierge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Buenaventura Grand Hotel is not "grand" but rather just "average". The location is what's best about this resort. The rooms are basic with no theme for a décor. The food in the buffet is absolutely horrendous, while the al lacarte is very good. The stools up at the two bars outside are not practical for short people; not only does ones butt get terribly sore, but there is no place to rest your feet on. The service though at this resort is outstanding; excluding the room maids who never once showed off any artistic talents ie; swans made from the towels, etc. George at the poolside bar absolutely made our stay at this resort more pleasurable. Antonio the deep sea promotor was all too happy to share his Mexico stories with us; we walked away with a book of knowledge.

A bit overrated for what you pay. If the price went down it would be equal value. For off resort meals --- If you're looking for the BIG shrimp, Tino's just a few blocks away is FABULOUS. Another good place during the day or evening is the Sea Monkey, just a bit past the three highrise condos in the heart of the Malecon.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
bv_grand_hotel, Chief Concierge at Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear BettyJDustan from Calagary, Canadá:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your experience at our Hotel.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed our service, especially from George at the Poolbar who clearly shows our passion for service.

Please accept my apologies for having fell short of your expectations on regards to the facilities and food in the buffet. Our Executive Chef has been informed and will keep working to improve and offer the best food selection at this particular restaurant; and I am glad to know that the other restaurants were up to your satisfaction.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back at the Buenaventura Grand, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly pleasurable experience.

Best regards,

Paloma Nataly Bravo
Chief Concierge
Sterling Heights
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I really like this hotel, but in the last few years it has gotten much more expensive. I stayed here the first time, about 30 years ago. I had been going there for years before I got married. The location is perfect, just about a 15 to 20 minute walk to town. If you want to ride the bus, it stops just in front of the hotel. Everyone is friendly. Half the quests are from Mexico and the balance from the U.S. or Canada. The food is great at the hotel and there are numerous good restaurants near by. The pool is average size, but clean. The hotel was remodel about 4/5 years ago. If you don't like something just speak up and it will be taken care of quickly. We don't stay here every time we visit Puerto Vallarta, only because we like a change once in a while. However we have stayed here over a dozen times so it's a pretty nice place.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room. Don't get stuck looking at the side street when you could be looking at th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
bv_grand_hotel, General Manager at Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear James M from Sterling Heights,

We are very pleased to know that you have had a pleasant experience everytime you have stayed with us.

I would like to thank you for your preference and keep choosing the Buenaventura Grand as your vacation destination.

We will keep doing our best effort to continue improving our facilities and services.

Please receive kind regards from all the staff of the Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa.

Cordially,

Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in January 2012 we had a room on the 4th floor that was beautiful and clean and cleaned every day and turn down service in the evening in witch they also cleaned up a little bit. The first day we noticed the bathroom sink was leaking, we let front desk know and it was fixed promptly. We were there for my birthday and for $40.00 extra my husband arranged for a private dinner on the beach which was amazing we were treated like royalty. I highly recommend upgrading to the select club. it lets you have the premium alcohol and different menus in the restaurants. my only complaint was there is no where to sit and enjoy a drink or two after dinner it needs more tables with chairs around the pool bar. we would have to wait till after 9 pm and then we would bring tables and chairs out of the closed restaurant made our self's a little party zone. All the staff are amazing and I think that's what makes this place so great that and location can't be beat. I will go back and even considering having our wedding vow renewal there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cher08 from Alberta,

Thank you for choosing the Buenaventura Grand and sharing your experience. We are delighted to read that you had a great time with us and still remember your stay with great joy.

We hope we have the honor of welcoming you back soon!

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at this property in February with my daughter for her 16th birthday. She took 2 friends with her. We had a good time. The hotel I would say is more of a boutique all inclusive. Much smaller than many you will find in PV. The room was good. Clean but nothing fancy. I agree with some of the reviews regarding the bathrooms. They certainly could use an upgrade and yes, housekeeping was horrible! 4 of us ( all girls!) in a room and we NEVER had enough towels. The day we arrived there were only 2 in the bathroom. They did not clean every day. It was a struggle day in and day out to get towels in the room.
The food we found good. The lady at the omelet bar is very popular. ( sorry, I forget her name) We never had an issue getting drinks at any of the bars, and yes with a tip the service was sufficient around the pool.
I ended up going back in March with my husband, 1 month later. We upgraded and I found we had no issues with housekeeping or with towels.( Although, with the deluxe upgrade that we had, we were to have pool towels and robes and slippers in the room. They were not, so I had to ask.) We also were on the other side of the hotel than were I was with the 16 year olds a month earlier. Possibly better staff on that side! :)
WE had a good relaxing time. Location is really what this hotel offers. An easy walk to the Malecon. My family is going back in December, so I will see how it goes then.
If you are looking for a 5 star, maybe this is not your place, but if you want a nice, relaxing holiday, close to old town, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
bv_grand_hotel, General Manager at Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Nicole1035 from Vancouver, Canada:

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience regarding your stay in the Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa.

I am delighted to read that you had a good time on your first visit, and even a better experience when you stayed with us for the second time. I agree that our location is one of our assets, but we also always strive to provide the best service to create pleasurable experiences.

Cordially,

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed with a couple of friends at the Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa between Aug 23-30. I had one of the most amazing times of my life. The staff is very friendly and they made our stay unforgettable. The food was always fresh and varied at the buffet, and the fine dining restaurants had dishes that looked better than any restaurant I have been at. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to young people but also to families. There were plenty of activities for everyone and the atmosphere was amazing. Our hotel room was clean and housekeeping changed our sheets and towels everyday. I did not find one thing wrong with this place. We are going back there for sure. I also recommend the spa. We paid $35/person for one hour of massage. In Canada where we live that would barely get you 10 minutes of massage. The drinks were varied. We had a different favourite drink every day. However, they are a bit too strong that what I was used to. Our glasses were changed every time we ordered a new drink and we saw them cleaning them so I can personally say I witnessed the dishes being washed properly.

Room Tip: Our friends got a room without a balcony and they politely requested a room with balcony. The recept...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Andrea G from Vancouver, Canada:

I feel very pleased to know that you had an amazing time while been our guests at the Buenaventura Grand! It is always very gratifying to read the experiences that the Hotel aims to create in each one of the people that has honored us with their preference.

We look forward to become your home away from home and welcoming you back soon.

Sincerely yours,

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I had stayed at this property a few years ago and it was very pleasant had the occasion to go again this past month. WHAT A DRAMATIC CHANGE! The only staff that was attentive and courteous were those being tipped with the exception of the maid who got tipped but failed to provide even minimum service. No towels half the time and the other half, no service at all. Signs of bed bugs too...no wonder! The worker who is to replenish the minibar seemed to only come around when the do not disturb sign was on the door so he could slip a note under that he had been by and to call for service. We did, it never happened. It was very clear that even though this is an all inclusive resort, they do everything in their power to make it as difficult as possible for you to get what you paid for. No snack bar, sur charge for room service, no ordering food while at the pool (unless you get dressed and go to the restaurant) SLOW service, not opening restaurants as promised, difficulty finding the concierge to make reservations for dinner...then the food is so mediocre...why bother? The breakfast buffet was okay if you can live with the bugs, birds and flies. Warm tap beer that on occasion had gone sour in the keg, watered down drinks with the lowest quality of liquor I have ever seen. I think they make it themselves, add coloring and funnel it into the existing bottles (I saw them do this with Gallo wine a few years back where they were filling nice wine bottles then wrap the towel around it to serve in the restaurant) Pool was cloudy and dirty, the water even smelled funny. Try to get a beach towel? Forget about it. One of the pool waiters, George I think, was way too touchy feely it gave me the creeps. Gus, Edwardo and Fausto were great so I avoided mr touchy feely. Front desk was rude and unhelpful at all times. They just couldnt be bothered to do their job. Wont ever be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sugar M from Seattle, Washington:

Please accept my most sincere apologies for not having fulfilled your expectations. We are very interested in following up your comments.

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with us.

Best regards,

Ronald Vega C.

Been to Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!