“Beautiful hotel, Great staff, a little unorganized” 4 of 5 stars

Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Mexico 1301, Puerto Vallarta 48350, Mexico   |
Ranked #53 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Hot Springs, Arkansas
“Beautiful hotel, Great staff, a little unorganized”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

-The look
It was gorgeous!!! My husband, son, and I got an ocean view room and I called about a month in advance and asked for a room with a balcony, which we also had. The room was clean and fairly spacious. The pictures on their website do not really do the ocean access this hotel has justice. It is right on the beach and the beach at this hotel is beautiful! The pools are all great. The restaurants were also very nice.
-The staff
The staff really went out of their way to make our vacation great! From the time we checked in, I could tell they were going to be great! They were always friendly and accommodating. If you only speak English, do not be afraid! Almost everyone at this hotel speaks great English.
-Unorganized
Okay, we had a great vacation at this hotel, but these are the only complaints I have:
The kids' club is not very organized. We are not the kind of parents to want "babysitting" on vacation. We love him to experience everything, if not more than we do. Well, we looked at the activity calendars for the kids' club when we arrived and I let my son pick 2 (1 hour) activities a day he wanted to do. He picked "decorating masks" one day as the activity he wanted to do and when we went to the club, there was nobody to be found. It took 30 minutes of another hotel worker looking for her to discover she wasn't there. Finally, he did the activity with our son and he was great. I was very thankful for his help, but we felt bad because it wasn't his job. Another thing that was a little unorganized was their restaurants. One night, we made reservations at Rodisso and found that it wasn't inside where it said it was, but it was outside... We got sent here and there before discovering it was where the Sunset restaurant should be. Rodisso was great once we found it. Another night, I called to make reservations at Sunset Restaurant and they said that they were just having the Rodisso menu, so we went and did that again. It was great, but it was the same thing we had a few days before that. We never did get to try the Sunset Restaurant.
Overall, it was a great experience and I would stay here again because the staff were always willing to go out of their way to make things better for us. Thank you Buenaventura for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
bv_grand_hotel, General Manager at Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear breannj1988 from Hot Springs, Arkansas:

I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay in the Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your nice comments of the facilities and service, as well as your remark in regard to the organization in our kids' club and restaurants.

Looking forward to your return!

Ronald Vega

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I had the most amazing time and Buena aventura, from playing beach volleyball every morning, having absolutely wonderful service all day and then a quick short walk to the malecon at night. This review brings up so many wonderful memories I could go on for hours. The most memorable part of our stay would be the staff, I feel though as we made friends rather than being just a job to them. Mauricio and Jorge provided us with the most fun I could have possibly had on vacation, doing activities with us and taking us to all the busiest clubs and taking wonderful care of 4 girls you could ever ask for.. Eduardo for never letting our drink go empty and such a wonderful smile on his face, and Omar for feeding us every night and doing so, so kindly and genuinely we couldn't help but love him! So many more we cannot name, would reccomend this place in a heart beat, clean, great atmosphere, great food. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Morgancooper:

Thank you very much for posting your comments on regard to your recent stay in our Hotel. I have shared your posting with the hotel staff and we are thrilled to know that you had such an amazing time with us.

Look forward to hosting you again soon!

Cordially,
Waukee, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was was our fourth family vacation to Puerto Vallarta and our second time staying at Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa. We were on fourth floor and the elevator quit working after 4 days of a 9 day trip. All we were told is that it would be fixed "any" day. We had all inclusive but many, many times the hotel did not have our choice of food or drink available. Can you believe an all inclusive hotel would run out of beer and ice??? They did!! if it weren't for servers at pool areas, we would have seriously considered leaving. Would not choose to stay there again or recommend it to anyone. Terrible customer service when it comes to making things right.

Room Tip: The junior suites are spacious. However, the double bed (standard rooms) are just as good for a fam...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear TJPete123 from Waukee, Iowa:

Thank you for taking a moment from your valuable time to share your experience in the Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa.
I would like to apologize for not having met your expectations during your most recent visit to our Hotel. I have to admit that we had a problem with one of our elevators, which had to be taken out of service for a few days due to our supplier ran out of the necessary parts to fix the elevator immediately. I’m following up with our Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Manager on your report of the lack of food and drinks to avoid the reoccurrence of a similar situation.

I sincerely hope you give us another opportunity to host you again and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our "family" of 8 just returned from a week at the Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa. My partner and I and our 5 girls (ages 14 to 21) travelled with our sister and had a wonderful time! I had read many reviews about this hotel prior to our trip and can honestly say that any negative comments only confirmed my belief that some people are just plain pretentious. This hotel was amazing!: rooms (spacious,stocked mini bar, clean), location (in the heart of Puerto Vallarta-easy walking to Malecon and nightclubs for our older daughters- who felt completely safe!), food (great buffet and a la carte restaurants), staff (dedicated, hardworking, engaging), beach (palapas, comfy beach chairs and nice sand- and yes it's on the Pacific Ocean!), activities volleyball/soccer/wateraerobics,karaoke -we did it all!) , spa (went 2 times for relaxing massages). Would go back in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: We had 4 rooms on the 2nd/3rd/4th floors. Some with oceanviews, some without. All were clean and per...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kelly h from Kamloops, Canada:

I would like to express my gratitude for your kind comments and reflecting what Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa is about. I feel very pleased to read that you had the best holiday ever and that you enjoyed our location, facilities and services. Our ultimate goal is that our guests think of Buenaventura Grand as of their home away from home.

We hope we have the honor of welcoming you back soon!

Ronald Vega C
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have never written an on-line review before but I feel an obligation to write about this resort and our experience there. I travelled at the end of March/first part of April with my husband and two kids.

My number 1 complaint about this hotel is the mold. You can see it and you can definitely smell it. We had to move out of our first room on the first floor because of the mold. There were other issues with that room, such as the patio door not locking, the sink not draining, left over food in the mini-fridge from the previous guest and obvious sign of dirt. Our 2nd room was on the 3rd floor, still moldy but not as bad as the room on the first floor.

This resort is old. The pictures you see on line do not accurately reflect the actual resort. Everything is older, dirty, and much smaller than it appears in the pictures.

The in-room mini bar was restocked twice during our week visit. We called for water numerous times and were told each room is allowed 2 bottles per day...it didn't matter that we never actually got the 2 bottles every day. You can't get water at the restaurants bars either. There is an OXO just steps away from the hotel so we purchased water there.

Getting a bath towel is as difficult as getting a bottle of water. We had to call numerous times and by the third day of our trip, we finally got 3 bath towels (for our family of four). We resorted to using our beach towels for the first 3 days, which they usually run out of by mid/late afternoon.

There are 2 pools. Both small, both dirty. Both pools are over 4 ft, so not suitable for young children who aren't great swimmers.

The food/drinks were okay. You will likely find something you like. Breakfast is by far the best and the ready to order omelets were great. The location of the resort is great, but certainly does not outweigh the poor condition of the hotel. No snack bar, so if you want a bite to eat, you have to go and be seated.

The beach area is small as well and there is a strong undertow. Definitely not suitable for young children. Lots of vendors trying to sell you stuff but I didn't find them overly agressive.

Most of the staff in the restaurants are friendly and extremely hard-working. The front-of-the-hotel staff are always trying to get you to attend a time share meeting. Adan (if I recall his name correctly) asked us 2 or 3 times a day to go on a "tour" of the resort. We finally said yes because he said that's how he gets paid, and the first thing the "tour guide" told us was that, you know this isn't a tour, right??? They tried to sell us a time share for adult only resort, all while we walked around with our 6 and 7 year old! It was bizzare to say the least. As a thank you for going on this "tour", we were told we could have a free couple's massage. After the "tour", that couple's massage, turned into $40 OFF one massage. It was a waste of time and a joke.

I chose this resort based on cost and the reviews on this site. Yes, I read some of the bad reviews, but thought the good certainly outweighed the bad, HOWEVER, after staying at the Buenaventura, I feel obligated to warn others. This is NOT a nice resort. My suggestion is to spend a little more money and find another resort. If you are researching a resort in PV, please cross this resort off your list.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
bv_grand_hotel, General Manager at Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear IDF_13:

Thank you for letting us know your recent review about your stay in our hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not having fullfill your hotel expectations.

Even if we are located in a very humid región of Mexico, we are working very hard to control the humidity: turning on the A/C and using certain products to reduce levels.

Just to clarify, the apparent mold stain you found in your room floor is part of the marble type. Floors in rooms are under major cleanning and sanitizing treatment constantly.

We will follow up the lack of the mini bar restocked and beach towels with the involves.

Best Regards,

Ronald Vega C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

A very nice hotel, nothing too spectacular but it has a nice view and have everything one on a vacation would want. The staff were the best, from Omar the busboy to Ademire and Apricot at the front desk and Jorge the activity staff. They made sure we had a great time and they took care of us. We really enjoyed hanging out with them. Also, we love the fact that there were so many locals there, it was nice to be somewhere different and not totally Americanized. Strongly recommend this place because of once again, Omar, Jorge, Adimire, and Apricot

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Syipip:

Thank you for taking a moment to post your nice contribution. We are thrilled to hear that our staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed your time here.

Looking forward to your return!

oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Don't be out off by the un-impressive frontage! Behind a very bland facade opens up a huge airy atrium containing reception, lounge, and bar. We were checked in quickly, politely and efficiently, and were given a welcome drink. A concierge then explained the dining arrangements and we were whisked off to our room which yad all we needed, including air-con and mini-bar. Our room overlooked the side street, with a side-view of the ocean from our balcony, and so was quiet. Rooms overlooking the main road would be quite noisy.
The room, public areas hotel and grounds were kept immaculately clean. Linen and towels in your room are changed as often as you wish -daily if requested, every third day otherwise. The pool areas are very pleasant with plenty of loungers, though parasols are somewhat lacking.
The hotel's location is excellent - 15 mins drive from the airport, a 10 minute gentle stroll to the Malecon, and right by the beach - probably one of the best locations in town.
Food was always good. The buffets offered far more variety than we had anticipated and of good quality. The à la carte restaurants (which have to be booked daily between 9-12 for that evening) are probably not worth the effort. The Rodisso was quite good (though not as extensive in its meat choice as others we have been to), but the beachside Romantic Dining wasn't worth it from the food point of view - very mediocre the night we went and appallingly slow service (we sat for 30 mins before our order was even taken and it then took or ever to come. I later politely complained to reception and a young man took detailed notes, promising to raise my comments with the restaurant manager who would get back to me, though he didn't.) In future we would simply use the main restaurant which was perfectly good. Meal times were extensive.
We were on all-inclusive so all our drinks were included too. Alcohol is probably served by quantity rather than quality however.
Some reviews complain of 'too many locals' - but hey, this is Mexico and Mexicans go on holiday too! If you want only North Anercans, stay at home. Yes, there were lots of Mexican holiday-makers, but we took that as a good sign (locals rarely put up with bad food). And yes, one very small pool area (by the water loungers) was closed one day fom 3pm to allow staff to set up for a wedding. So we moved - no big deal!
Although checkout is noon, our flight didn't leave until the evening. But a polite request at the front desk ensured we kept our wrist bands (for food and drinks) until we left. The Bell boys locked our cases away and then made a room available to us bore departure where we could shower and change - well worth the $5 tip.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MikeyBOxford:

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent visit to the Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa.

We appreciate your positive comments about the hotel, and have also taken note of the more critical feedback, especially with regard to your dining experience and the service received in one of our restaurants. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that you suffered. I do hope that our other services were up to your satisfaction and that you had a good experience overall.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Ronald Vega

Been to Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!