“Best staff on the planet” 5 of 5 stars

You added Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Mexico 1301, Puerto Vallarta 48350, Mexico   |
Ranked #45 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Best staff on the planet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

A very nice hotel, nothing too spectacular but it has a nice view and have everything one on a vacation would want. The staff were the best, from Omar the busboy to Ademire and Apricot at the front desk and Jorge the activity staff. They made sure we had a great time and they took care of us. We really enjoyed hanging out with them. Also, we love the fact that there were so many locals there, it was nice to be somewhere different and not totally Americanized. Strongly recommend this place because of once again, Omar, Jorge, Adimire, and Apricot

• Stayed May 2013
bv_grand_hotel, General Manager at Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Syipip:

Thank you for taking a moment to post your nice contribution. We are thrilled to hear that our staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed your time here.

Looking forward to your return!

Best regards,

1,059 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Don't be out off by the un-impressive frontage! Behind a very bland facade opens up a huge airy atrium containing reception, lounge, and bar. We were checked in quickly, politely and efficiently, and were given a welcome drink. A concierge then explained the dining arrangements and we were whisked off to our room which yad all we needed, including air-con and mini-bar. Our room overlooked the side street, with a side-view of the ocean from our balcony, and so was quiet. Rooms overlooking the main road would be quite noisy.
The room, public areas hotel and grounds were kept immaculately clean. Linen and towels in your room are changed as often as you wish -daily if requested, every third day otherwise. The pool areas are very pleasant with plenty of loungers, though parasols are somewhat lacking.
The hotel's location is excellent - 15 mins drive from the airport, a 10 minute gentle stroll to the Malecon, and right by the beach - probably one of the best locations in town.
Food was always good. The buffets offered far more variety than we had anticipated and of good quality. The à la carte restaurants (which have to be booked daily between 9-12 for that evening) are probably not worth the effort. The Rodisso was quite good (though not as extensive in its meat choice as others we have been to), but the beachside Romantic Dining wasn't worth it from the food point of view - very mediocre the night we went and appallingly slow service (we sat for 30 mins before our order was even taken and it then took or ever to come. I later politely complained to reception and a young man took detailed notes, promising to raise my comments with the restaurant manager who would get back to me, though he didn't.) In future we would simply use the main restaurant which was perfectly good. Meal times were extensive.
We were on all-inclusive so all our drinks were included too. Alcohol is probably served by quantity rather than quality however.
Some reviews complain of 'too many locals' - but hey, this is Mexico and Mexicans go on holiday too! If you want only North Anercans, stay at home. Yes, there were lots of Mexican holiday-makers, but we took that as a good sign (locals rarely put up with bad food). And yes, one very small pool area (by the water loungers) was closed one day fom 3pm to allow staff to set up for a wedding. So we moved - no big deal!
Although checkout is noon, our flight didn't leave until the evening. But a polite request at the front desk ensured we kept our wrist bands (for food and drinks) until we left. The Bell boys locked our cases away and then made a room available to us bore departure where we could shower and change - well worth the $5 tip.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MikeyBOxford:

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent visit to the Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa.

We appreciate your positive comments about the hotel, and have also taken note of the more critical feedback, especially with regard to your dining experience and the service received in one of our restaurants. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that you suffered. I do hope that our other services were up to your satisfaction and that you had a good experience overall.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Vancouver,Bc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We were there April 28th 2913 to May 5th.

This was my 8th time to Mexico and his first -- I've been to PVR 6 times and stayed at the Palladium Vallarta, The Royal Decameron and the Riu Jalisco. The Buenaventura has had good reviews on trip advisor for years but frankly, I'm very disappointed with my experience and will not be back.

Check-in wasn't too bad but they are certainly not efficient for this being the low season. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at 2pm but we expected that since check-in was at 3. Well, at 3 our hotel room wasn't ready and after a lot of waiting around they had to give us another room. Other people checking in with us and after us seemed to have the same issue.

Food was ok but the diversity was lacking..if you like your salad bad, forget it here (All other hotels I went to were great).

Expedia rates this hotel a 3.5 star and tripadvisor a 4..this is not a 4 and it is just that, a hotel. The RDC was a 3 star or 3.5 when I went and it was great.

We picked this hotel because it is a 7 minute walk from the Malecon and has had great reviews. I always wanted to try it ever since I first came to Mexico but now that I've tried it, I won't be coming back.

A couple of girls who had never been to PVR mentioned that there were more locals than she expected. The hotel wasn't busy at all for a few days and I frankly didn't care too much and never have whether locals were there or not. As the week went on, the hotel filled up and on Thursday it was full with mainly locals and it was impossible to exchange our beach towels because they had run out by late afternoon. This is clearly a hotel where the locals get away too (this being their national holiday weekend).

We chose a hotel room with ocean view to avoid the street side noise -- we would have been better served staying on the street side Friday and Saturday. There were 2 weddings on the beach and they had the music cranked up so loud that it disrupted all of the oceanview hotel rooms for approx 10 guests dancing (as I write this there are less than 10 and its 11:30pm..trying to get to sleep for our morning flight Is not happening!)

The hotel really has 2 pools and not 3. One main one where most kids play, one rectangular one where adults seem to hang out (not the adult pool) and another 'pool', that had built in lounge chairs that is only 1/2 meter deep (labeled adult pool).

On our last day there, they blocked the 'adult pool' as of 3 pm for the wedding and they had a birthday party with some 15 kids at the rectangular pool -- essentially forcing any adult who wanted peace and quiet to leave and go somewhere else. The pool looked absolutely disgusting to swim in by mid afternoon. We walked up to the main bar and were completely ignored and gave up and went to our room.

Drinks from the main pool bar or lobby bars were good. Don't bother getting me from the young man who handles the bar by the 'adult pool'.

They forgot to fill our fridge with water/beer one day so at 7pm I went by the front desk and asked if they could just put water. The front desk looked unimpressed with her own staff and said she would handle it -- we never got them. The next day, they never made our room but filled our fridge. Our room was never cleaned before 4pm on most days and most of to days they forgot the hand towels -- I pretty much gave up on any complaints at that point.

The beach is filled with merchants who will hassle you if you are anywhere near the each including while having dinner at the sunset restaurant. I'm used to merchants having been in PVR before but I guess staying at a hotel in town is that much worse. The annoying thing is that hotel security just lets the merchants walk up to people having dinner.

The beach (in water) is filled with smooth small rocks - and the water gets deep very fast. Just not a nice swimming beach overall but I think this would be the same for most hotels in downtown PVR.

The best staff were the ones who worked at the restaurants or got drink orders -- they were awesome.

I'm not picky. It's Mexico, I get it but there are some basic things that I think should be expected.

We will not be back. I thought we would try something different this time but I'll be going back to the Royal Decameron.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Eveck:

Thank you in advance for letting us know about your experience in our Hotel during your recent vacations.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

I have to admit that during those days with had the Kids Day Celebration in Mexico and most of the families took advantage of the holidays to visit Vallarta as well.

I am taking as more important issues to follow up from your review:
1- Check In process
2- Salad Bar variety
3- Supervision in Mini Bar daily supply.
4- Beach Towels supply during higher occupancies.
5- Increase Security presence in hotel beach area to avoid the vendors.

We are constantly working to improve in our services and some of this issues are part of our daily briefings, but I will take them again as main objetives to achieve.

I totally agreed with you that our main goals are definetely the hotel location and the staff service, like most of other guest recognize very often.

Apparently you didn´t like the size of our 4 swimming pools: main pool, family pool (the one you name rectangular), wet lounge chairs pool (adults only area) and the Brand new one, the kids pool. They are definetely all separed trying to acommodate all the guest's needs.

I would be more than glad to have you back in our hotel in any further visit to Puerto Vallarta, if you give us the opportunity to do our best for you.

You can reach our hotel contact in our web site.

Best Regards,

Ronald Vega C.
Chetek, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We travelled to Mexico for our wedding this past April. We had a group of 25 people ranging in age from 4 to 70. We wanted to stay on the beach, close enough to town that we could walk to the Romantic Zone and the Malecon. We also wanted a resort that had enough restaurants and bars for those that wanted to stay in and that had a variety of pools for the kids and adults. The Buenaventura fit all of our needs. Everything about the Buenaventura was excellent. All members of our group were happy with their rooms. The food at the restaurants was good. Of course the buffet food got a little old after a day or two, except for the breakfasts which were quite good. The Brazillian steakhouse restaurant was probably the "least good" of the restaurants but it was still decent. Sunsets restaurant had the same menu for lunch and dinner but the food was pretty good and the view of the ocean was great. We like to go out to try some of the many great restaurants in PV, so we did not mind that the food at the resort was not five star. We did do the all-inclusive and felt that it was well worth it even if we just did breakfast, lunch and drinks all day by the pool. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good value, in an excellent location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
bv_grand_hotel, Gerente at Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear BarkleyFan:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay in the Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa.

We are delighted to hear that you and your group had a good time while being our guests and that we were able to accommodate all your needs. I take the opportunity to let you know that your suggestions were already discussed with our Executive Chef in regards to a constant menu improvement.

We look forward to become your home away from home and to host you again on your wedding anniversary!

Quesnel, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Well we went back to the Buenaventura Hotel again this year for two weeks. I can not say enough good things about this hotel. The staff is great, the location can not be beat. We all ways get the best treatment and a great room.So once again very happy.If you need a drink on the beach or at the pool call on Jorge or Edguardo the best waiters we have ever meet thanks guys.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear pam1859:

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed another stay with us and I would like to thank you for your preference and keep choosing the Buenaventura Grand as your vacation destination. Warm words like yours are what make our work worthwhile. We will keep doing our best so there is no doubt your next stay will be great as well.

Please receive kind regards from all the staff of the Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa.

Cordially,

Sanborn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had to check out of room 6 hours before our ride to Airport. They allowed us to keep luggage in storage area and were kind enough to let us shower later in Hospitality Room.
When we got home and unpacked, someone had taken our camera and left the case in our luggage. We had such a great time and were treated so well by all the staff, but that was a terrible thing to do. Maybe the thief can leave the memory card next time so at least people would still have vacation pictures

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were at the BV because our booked hotel had "problems". The beach outside the hotel is only suitable for strong swimmers, but even they have to watch out. I got tumbled and there were a lot of big stones being tumbled along with me. It is a no-no for kids and seniors. The hotel food is a bit confusing. They say snack bar, but where is it? It can be in either restaurant, apparently, and you can't just walk up and order easily, if at all! You need a waiter. The hours are a bit confusing too. By the time you can snack, you may be into meal times. The food is heavily weighted to Mexican, but it is decent food. Maybe youngsters would not like it. This hotel is more suitable for adults. Very close into downtown PV. The rooms are average fare for Mexico, but not luxurious. Too many staff and all with their hands out!! There are four people that service one room: one maid, one person that restocks the mini fridge (not always reliable!), one maid that brings towels around sometimes, and another maid who turns down the beds in the evenings. The lobby staff expect a tip to move your case ten feet. They are right in your face, so don't expect to avoid them! Dining room staff in the a la carte restaurant do a nice job and the service on the beach is usually good too. The buffet restaurant staff take away used plates and hog the juice, water, and coffee so that you have to use them to eat and drink. Never did figure out the tipping but I paid out as much as everyone else, as far as I was able to tell, but they never looked happy enough. If you took the money you pay out in tips you could feed yourself in a condo. Pool water looked a bit cloludy. My grandson got a bit sick but I was OK. Don't know if the pool was to blame or not. A young couple wanting to be close to the Malecon might like the location, but don't take kids here!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a balcony. Not all rooms have them.