“Camera Stolen” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Sanborn, New York
“Camera Stolen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had to check out of room 6 hours before our ride to Airport. They allowed us to keep luggage in storage area and were kind enough to let us shower later in Hospitality Room.
When we got home and unpacked, someone had taken our camera and left the case in our luggage. We had such a great time and were treated so well by all the staff, but that was a terrible thing to do. Maybe the thief can leave the memory card next time so at least people would still have vacation pictures

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

1,066 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were at the BV because our booked hotel had "problems". The beach outside the hotel is only suitable for strong swimmers, but even they have to watch out. I got tumbled and there were a lot of big stones being tumbled along with me. It is a no-no for kids and seniors. The hotel food is a bit confusing. They say snack bar, but where is it? It can be in either restaurant, apparently, and you can't just walk up and order easily, if at all! You need a waiter. The hours are a bit confusing too. By the time you can snack, you may be into meal times. The food is heavily weighted to Mexican, but it is decent food. Maybe youngsters would not like it. This hotel is more suitable for adults. Very close into downtown PV. The rooms are average fare for Mexico, but not luxurious. Too many staff and all with their hands out!! There are four people that service one room: one maid, one person that restocks the mini fridge (not always reliable!), one maid that brings towels around sometimes, and another maid who turns down the beds in the evenings. The lobby staff expect a tip to move your case ten feet. They are right in your face, so don't expect to avoid them! Dining room staff in the a la carte restaurant do a nice job and the service on the beach is usually good too. The buffet restaurant staff take away used plates and hog the juice, water, and coffee so that you have to use them to eat and drink. Never did figure out the tipping but I paid out as much as everyone else, as far as I was able to tell, but they never looked happy enough. If you took the money you pay out in tips you could feed yourself in a condo. Pool water looked a bit cloludy. My grandson got a bit sick but I was OK. Don't know if the pool was to blame or not. A young couple wanting to be close to the Malecon might like the location, but don't take kids here!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a balcony. Not all rooms have them.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Had a great stay. Great location. The weather was hot. The rooms, and the whole place was always very clean. The food was also very good. It was great being so close to down town, lots to see down town, and there are so many great places to eat down town. The people at the resort were always very freindly, and helpful, service was great. As for the beds and pillows, I did not find them that comfortable. Just MO. For swimming in the ocean, not the greatest, but down the beach aways, it was better. Very quiet place during the week, and it gets a little busier on the weekend, but nothing too crazy.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was very pleased with my five night (3/13 - 3/18/3013) stay at the Buenaventura Grand. The hotel was much better than what I had expected after reading some other reviews. I got there on a Wednesday and the place was wide open until the weekend. And even over the weekend the hotel never felt crowded. The facilities were well kept and the atmosphere very relaxing. I found the employees to be very helpful and pleasant. I was there with about 10 other couples and all but one were happy with there accommodations. More importantly the couple that was not happy was quickly attended to by the front desk and their issues resolved. The key to this property was its location! What a great location. The staff was wonderful, the weather beautiful, and the area authentic mexico. I really enjoyed my stay. Please be aware that this is not the Ritz, but a lovely economical place to stay with all the necessary amenities. The breakfast was great. I did not eat lunch or dinner as I was always out and about. Which once again is the beauty of this location. Not to far from anything. I would recommend this hotel, and will stay here next time traveling to PV.

Room Tip: I heard that rooms closer to the pool were a bit noisy, but if you want the ocean view I would think...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
nor cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I (with kids ages 20 & 24) stayed here at the peak of Spring Break. Great all-inclusive. Even though the hotel was booked to capacity, there was never a long line for drinks (which were really good) or food. The location is excellent, just a $5 cab ride to town where you can catch one of many Puerto Vallarta local buses. The staff is very helpful, and courteous. They had some really good suggestions for authentic restaurants nearby and great local beaches. The pool and beach area are kept very clean. Overall, I'm looking forward to returning again sometime.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I just stayed here one night before going on to our timeshare. We were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Although not a large resort, it had a full range of facilities, including a nice pool and beach, as well as restaurants, bar and spa. It was also close to town so it was an easy walk (as long as it's not too hot). If you don't want to eat at the hotel or walk too far there are also a number of restaurants close by. Our room was small but comfortable and had a good view of the ocean. The price was right and for one night it worked out well.

The hotel has recently converted to a timeshare but they weren't pushy about trying to get you to go to a presentation. We said "no" and they never asked us again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Courtenay British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I just got back from Buenaventura with a co-worker, it was great and I would recommend it to anyone. The hotel is older and it shows in the bathrooms especially, our fan was broken in the shower. The fan in the bathroom is my only complaint. The staff was excellent, the food was great, the location is perfect. I have stayed in another resort further out near Nuevo Vallarta and I would definitely recommend staying closer to town for a more "Mexican" experience. We always felt safe there and on our last night we even got serenaded by a musician walking by our balcony!! All in all, I would recommend this resort to anyone travelling to Puerto Vallarta, we had a great time and will absolutely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, from the looks of it, they have the best views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!