“It was an Experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 120 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vancouver, Canada
“It was an Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Travelocity may rate this hotel as 4 star, but it is 3.5 at best. It is an aging hotel and shows (smells) it. The service in the restaurants is excellent, but room services leave a lot to be desired. The hotel is family oriented, so lots of young children. If you book this hotel, do not use Travelocity. Even the Westjet representative rolled his eyes when I mentioned who we used as a booking agent.

Room Tip: You don't have a choice at this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

1,012 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Esterhazy, SK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

In reading the good reviews of this hotel, I really expected more than it delivered. The hotels main asset is location, which is a definite plus. Our room was kinda rundown, stains all over the floor tiles/broken floor tiles. The room was quite loud, seemed like everyone in the hallway was walking by our bed yelling. I was very disappointed by the lack of activities/shows during the day and evenings. The staff that handle the events were really friendly and upbeat....i just felt like there was nothing to do other than sit by the pool. The hotel is very spanish oriented, which is fine....its in mexico afterall...i just wished that there was more of a english/spanish balance, 50/50 or so. I really only have one other hotel to compare this to in PV and thats the Golden Crown. I would stay at the GC again rather than staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

My husband and I had a room with a balcony and a view to the ocean and to the courtyard area. This trip my daughter, son-in-law and their 10 month old baby also joined us. We have absolutely no complaints. The rooms were clean and neat. The service friendly and food acceptable. The room did smell a little musty when we first arrived, however it is our experience this is common in places that are right on the ocean. After the first couple of hours you do not even notice this. I'm not sure if that's because you get used to it or if it's because the place gets aired out. The pool was great as was having direct access to the sea. Also Buenaventura is very close to downtown and the sea walk.

For the price, it was very good value and I would stay here again if back in Puerto Vallarta.

The only real negative was that there were a couple weddings that took place during our week there. While the weddings were in swing, the pool side was crowded and access to the beach meant dancing around party goers, but alas, for us this was not a real problem.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Location near the Malecon. If you like to walk beach and swim in ocean this is not the hotel to stay @. A lot of stones/rocks on the sand..very difficult to walk. The hotel was comfortable and well kept. I had excellent room facing the ocean. Food was average. Not much choice for dinner. 2 ala carte restaurants but they did not offer variety.

Room Tip: Rooms 2nd to 4th floor. I stayed in Room 1248 which was almost oceanfront.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This was our first time in Mexico, when we got to the hotel we were greeted by the the bellboy who was a great help. Our room 1114 was a nice room with a view to the side road and to the beach. At first it was a little smelly but that was due to the humid climate but it went away. The restaurant staff were very friendly and knew us after a couple days. The pool and bar area were nice and clean with Superior service and fun activities. The size of this place is perfect if you want great service and not a lot of people unlike the monster resorts you see coming from the airport. The location was great with minutes to the Malecon and shopping a couple blocks up. The OXXO (like 7-11) next door was a great spot to get some pesos and to get other drinks and snacks for hangover days. The bar will serve you your own alcohol if you are particular in what you drink, this will cost a few pesos to the bar staff. The maid service was awesome as she made our bed 3 times a day and made different things with our towels, she definitely received a great tip for her service. Our 2 weeks at this place was awesome and we will be back, I miss the smell of the room and the great service from Jorge, Alexis, Diego, the rest of the bar staff and ElCapitan and ElCapitanas and their crew. We will not forget you guys.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Regina, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Service: It was great. Quick, never had to wait for drinks, however, they ran out of beer frequently.

Value: Mediocre. Food was just OK and rarely different from night to night.

Sleep Quality: Was good. We were facing the ocean so it was really quiet for being downtown. Not really sure how it is on the street side of the hotel.

Beach: The beach is FULL of vendors. You can not get a full conversation with the people you are with, without having someone bug you to buy something. You will have zero privacy. The sand was good (Watch for washed up puffer fish). When you go in to the water, it is very rocky, however, this didn't bother me as I was to busy getting smashed by the big waves. Also, the water is very murky.

Location: Probably this hotels main asset. If you are in to night life, you can't get much closer to it. You can walk about 10 minutes and you are on the Malecon. I always felt really safe. But if you are in to adventure and peace and quiet, do not stay here.

Rooms: Were decent. Our A/C didn't really work, and our safe was broken. Our friends had no issues.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

There were five of us that stayed here from Nov 24th to Dec 1st. Beachcrazy65, my son and his girlfriend, hubby and me. First off I would like to say the location of this hotel is fantastic! It’s so close to town, you can walk there in mere minutes from the street or the beach. The rooms were clean, the maids don't stock the fridges, that is done by someone else, so it's hit or miss if you will have anything early in day. The grounds are neat and tidy, the service is very good. All the bar and restaurant staff are super friendly. We arrived at 1:30pm and had to wait for our room, my son and his girlfriend had the honeymoon suite, they had to go through 2 before they finally got their room. Apparently there was some confusion, but the concierge got it sorted out. The front desk staff I found were less than helpful, and in some cases rude. They put notes under our doors saying they were spraying for bugs...I went to the front desk to get more information, the guy asked me "what my problem was?", I told him my concerns and he told me to talk to the concierge, he couldn't do anything...why ask me then? Anyway, don't let this deter you, they aren't all grumpy and rude, just a couple of them. The beach is really big...but it's pretty rocky by the surf, bring water shoes...my son's girlfriend was wake boarding and she got beat by the surf pretty good, but she still had a blast. , I didn't end up going in, it hurt my feet too much, I stuck to the pools. I loved the pools! I guess the only other thing I should mention was my son's girlfriend put her swim suit and a shirt on the balcony, they blew off into a tree, she called maintenance 5 times, every time being told they would be right there....if you look behind the spa, you might still see them there.

Room Tip: The honeymoon suites in the new wing are very nice and huge (1400's)! We were in 1247, we had a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!