“Tropicana hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicana Hotel

You added Tropicana Hotel to your Saves list
Tropicana Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amapas 214 | Col. Emiliano Zapata, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #56 of 120 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Woodland, Washington
“Tropicana hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Perfect for it's location, beach, property and staff. No wifi. Easiest to book directly with the hotel.
We also felt we were almost the only ones there (good). But they were busy repainting everything and making any repairs in anticipation of the upcoming high season.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

This hotel is very basic, what really helps it it's the location, away from downtown with a beautiful beaches and close to everything.
We have visited this hotel since 1980 and the service has been going down like the owners do not pay attention to a beautiful place. They have been building rooms left and right and customer service has suffered.
Still recommended to stay if you do not need luxury, this will do for the money and the place is clean and acceptable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Below is my experience with this place... probably the most unfriendly, uncoordinated place ever!

On Saturday October 5th I arrived to Hotel Tropicana in Puerto Vallarta Mexico and after identifying myself the front desk agent said that she did not have a reservation for me. After a while of this person being rude, looking in her computer and mistreating me; I pulled out my laptop and gave her the Expedia Itinerary number and showed the confirmation email on my laptop screen. She then told me that I have to print that page so they could let me check in. I asked her to take me somewhere in their hotel so I could print the confirmation and give it to her. The lady said that she didn’t have permission to let guests enter the offices so I had to go somewhere else to print the confirmation. I was told I couldn’t be in the hotel premises until I bring that printed sheet of paper. She said that I had to look for an internet cafe so I can print the page and come back later. The lady was extremely rude, I have never had such a bad experience in all the hotels I have ever stayed at; I couldn’t take it anymore, so I asked to speak with the manager; she said that no one was available to talk to me. After a while the shows up, I explained what was going on and the treatment I was getting from his front desk agent, then after being at that hotel for more than one hour the manager took me to the back office and allowed me to use one of their computers in the office and print the confirmation. I went back to the front desk and handed the confirmation to the rude agent; when I was checking in I asked for the wifi password for the internet in the room and they said that there was no internet in the rooms. I couldn’t stay in a hotel that has no internet access in the rooms. I am on a business trip and it is a necessity that I am able to get internet access from my room.

I informed the rude agent at the front desk that I needed to have internet access and she didn’t really care at all, I said that on the website it states that the hotel has free wifi and again she didn’t show any signs of concerns to my problem.The treatment I was receiving from the hotel staff, that there was no internet access in the rooms, that the hotel did not in any way resemblance to the pictures on the Expedia website. I had to look for a different hotel...

The hotel still charged the one night “no show” penalty. I explained that it was not a “No show” that I was there and the hotel not only didn’t meet my expectations but they were extremely rude.

I needed to find another place to stay in a city that I don’t know and had to take a taxi cab and check about 10 different hotels trying to find an available room. I was finally able to find a decent hotel and was settled by 9 pm at night, instead 3 pm as planned.

This was a horrifying experience... I was putting in risk my own security by having to take a taxi and wonder around a foreign city without knowing where to go.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were here in Sept. 2013. I swear we were the only ones in the hotel? We wondered if we were the only ones who didn't realize there was some reason not to stay here, but the staff said that all business is very low this month in Puerto Vallarta. We made the reservation based on recommendation of the local travel host in Yalapa who says this place is overlooked and a very good deal. Our favorite - the beach. Very private. They require anyone on that section of the beach to be from the hotel, so it was just us. Compared to other hotels we walked past on the beach, our beach was very unpopulated. But the area beaches weren't crowded anyway. Beautiful beach. They have just created a new pool just off the beach, and that was absolutely lovely.The rooms are dated but what does that really mean? I like the 1970's and 1980's and they are clean and the mattress was great, so we liked it. The shower was the best I've had in years, forever hot water and good water pressure. Wish I had that kind of shower at home. We didn't try the restaurant but overall really enjoyed the hotel and would recommend it for sure.

Room Tip: all rooms seem to be a clear ocean view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I love this hotel, it is smack in the center of enjoyment. You are walking distance to great restaurants, nightclubs, the Malecon and you are right there on the beach. I stay there every time I go to Puerto Vallarta. They offer a restaurant too which is very good by the way. First off this is not a W or a Marriott but it is clean and they really do strive to please you. Yes the rooms are dated but we are here to be outdoors not watch tv. The rooms are clean! Awesome oceanfront rooms with balconies which you can enjoy the beautiful sunsets. I have always been impressed by there help. Beware be ready for firm mattresses. Lastly enjoy your stay in beautiful Puerto Vallarta and do not be afraid to walk the streets they have police and tourist police. You are safe here to wander and enjoy!

Room Tip: Do Superior or Junior Suites they have balconies facing the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We will be staying at the Tropicana for the 16th time next March. Yes the mattresses are firm - get a pad from the front desk, yes the wifi is available only in the lobby - do you really need to be hooked up in your room? This hotel is our favorite stay in all of PV. Its location on the beach and right on the edge of old town make it the perfect location. It is clean, well run, safe, and very reasonable. Much of the staff has been there for years so one knows exactly what to expect. I would recommend getting a superior room. They are a few dollars more a night but worth it. If you enjoy sitting on the beach under a palapa, kindle in hand with a cold beer sitting on the small table right next to you this is the place to go. If you want loud obnoxious music with a screaming MC and high prices this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer tower overlooking the pool are the best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Astoria oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

First memory of this beautiful hacienda style resort begin at the pool side bar where those delicious margaritas and other happy hour drinks are very the bomb! They are two for one so better order something from the delicious food that is offered. I have eaten here several times over the years and have never left disappointed. And always look forward to the next visit. One can stay elsewhere and purchase day passes which is well worth the experience the amenities of this property.
This is a beautiful well located property with a great situation. I believe it to be the first of great beach properties built here. One can sit and enjoy the ocean sitting
on the beach with palapa s and thirst quenching drinks served to you right on the chaise. . Easy to spend the day and meet great folks. Food (which is delicious and alcohol laden drinks-they are not watered down here) are delivered right to you either on the beach, tables on the patio chaise lounges or the out door seating cafe and or bar area. This all in a very inviting part of the old town romance part of Puerto Vallarta. Some areas of the beach are quite rocky and some even unpleasant. Not here! This area is very inviting.! Best of the beach.
There is a newer (within the last couple of years) pool that over looks the ocean and beach. The best I have seen down here!
The hotel is white stucco and lots of brick which is so clean, and stark against all the azure blue. The very helpful, with a great big ready to serve you smile, Señorita
Marcella at the pool is absolutely wonderful fantastic at what she does, as are all the very helpful and hardworking staff making ones stay as absolutely comfortable as they can.
One visit and it is impossible to stay away.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Tropicana Hotel? Share your experiences!