“Great place to stay on the beach downtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicana Hotel

You added Tropicana Hotel to your Saves list
Tropicana Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amapas 214 | Col. Emiliano Zapata, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #60 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
texas
“Great place to stay on the beach downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We've been going to Puerto Vallarta for years. We love staying in the Romantic Zone and usually stay at Playa los Arcos which is also a very good property!
However, this was a last minute trip and the rate was better so we decided to give the Tropicana a try after reading the reviews on trip advisor.
This is one of the best decisions we've ever made. The rooms were clean and even the Standard room we were in had a direct beach view. Also they are doing some renovating and when we checked in they didn't have any rooms with a king bed. We had one of the older rooms which we thought was just fine. However, the next day they moved us to a renovated room with a king bed which was very nice!
The grounds were nice with 2 pools and the staff was very nice and helpful. And of course you're right on the beach and there are more restaurants than you can count within a short walk. Love the place and will be back!

Room Tip: If you get a standard room try to get a room that's been renovated.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The hotel is average - clean and basic accommodations with spectacular views (we had a superior room in the new building) in a perfect location. We could walk to so many restaurants - easy walk to The Malecon and other shopping. the service was great and the price can't be beat. I would stay there again for sure!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

For the last couple of years now we take an annual vacation to PV in Mexico and we always try to stay at this hotel. It is located on the beach in the old town. If you are looking for a super fancy hotel with all of the amenities you should book elsewhere. Having said that we love the place. The rooms are very plain but clean and spacious. The beds are firm but not uncomfortable. The staff is super friendly and accommodating and they keep the place very clean. There are also a ton of restaurants in the area which is why they do not offer all inclusive. Some rooms, but not all offer fantastic views of the Pacific. WiFi access is dodgy and when you get a connection it is usually only availble in the hotel lobby. I would recommend this place to any travellers that go to PV.

Room Tip: If you need a tv or A/C, you must specify. The beds tend to be either two doubles or one king. I wou...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We just got back tonight from our 2nd stay at Tropicana. The location is perfect for us, right on the beach with beautiful grounds and 2 lovely pools. Its an easy walk to restaurants, cafes, bars etc - it's rare that we go anywhere in the old town that's not walking distance from the hotel. The hotel restaurant isn't great, but there's a good breakfast place right over the street and good coffee places close by.

Our room in the northern-most building had a balcony with ocean view and we went to sleep every night to the sound of the waves crashing. We're a gay couple but find Blue Chairs too busy and noisy. Whereas Tropicana is pretty quiet and has a nice mix of gay guys, straight couples, Mexican families and older guests and everyone gets along fine. And if you want to go hang out at Blue Chairs and be blasted by loud circuit music while lying on the beach it's only a 3 minute walk along Playa Muertos.

Now my gripe: They have GOT to get their wifi situation sorted out. It's bad enough that there is no wifi in the rooms. But when you go downstairs and sit with everyone else in the lobby trying to use their ipads and laptops, the wifi signal is very weak and often drops out. And forget trying to get a signal by the pool or at the beach in front of the hotel. I often need to do some work on vacation and this is a big annoyance - the lobby is the least attractive part of the hotel and I end up spending far too much time there trying to pick up the weak wifi signal and get some emails out. It's 2012 and the management at Tropicana need to get with the program on this or I may have to stay elsewhere next visit.

Only other gripe was a lingering, funky smell in the bathroom. From experience I know that Mexican plumbing can sometimes be temperamental and so we didn't make a fuss about it - and it wasn't bad enough to spoil our enjoyment of the room.

If wifi is not a priority and you are not looking for luxury, Tropicana is a great pick and good value for the money.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I travelled alone and wanted to be next to Blue Chair's where other friends where staying. This was perfect for me. The Tropicana is simple, clean and gets the job done. I was on the 5th floor with an ocean view room. I could hear the ocean at night, some say this is a bad thing. I think it was amazing to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. Room clean and safe. Breakfast is average, don't expect much. However you pay very little for a great location and I like eating in other places, especially Dee's Coffee house. Family orientated, however located in a pretty mixed area (eg. next to predominately gay hotel), very safe location for everyone. The grounds and pool are clean. Would return for a quick break from the snow as the price is always right for what you get. You may have to pay extra if you want a guest to stay overnight. Always register guests to be safe.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are great.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

3d time at this hotel. First time in an Economy room (don't bother) then a Superior, now a 'Standard'.
It was perfect; clean, spacious with a balcony and partial ocean view.
Housekeeping was excellent, overall service very friendly and accomodating.
There are extensive renovations going on to upgrade the rooms but luckily I was far enough away from construction noise.
Did not have any meals at the restaurant as there are too many delicious dining options close by. I was there during the 'Gourmet festival' and enjoyed some excellent cuisine.
The best thing about this hotel is still the location, value and now the beautiful new 2nd pool.
Enjoy your stay!
I

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had a great time at the Tropicana in December 2012. It is one of the most affordable places to stay in P.V. We flew with Sunwing and it was about $1150 including tax and cancelation insurance for 1 week. It is an older hotel and some things are a little run down but for me it just added to the ambiance and character. The location is great. It takes minutes to walk to coffees shops, restaurants etc. We had a superior room with a great view. The breakfast was included and it was just fine. Very basic- eggs, toast, bacon, fruit etc. The coffee is gross but we would just zip over to Dee's coffee shop and grab a great coffee before breakfast. I went with my two 19 and 21 year old daughters and thier friend. I felt very safe in that area. It is a 5 minute walk from La Palapa restaurant which is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. Great food, great service, right on the beach with cozy fire pits. The price at La Palapa was way less than we would pay in Canada for high quality food and service.
It is true that the beds are a bit hard but that is just how I like them. It is true that the air conditioning has one setting- turbo- but we would turn it off after a while and sleep with the balcony doors open and listen to the ocean.
I would probably not enjoy staying in a big A.I. resort and just loved the Tropicana. I have booked another trip for 2 weeks for spring break this year. I would loved to have the jr.suite with the kitchen but they are always booked.
The staff are super helpful and friendly. I never met one staff member that was rude or miserable. One of the door men has been there for about 30 years.
There is wifi down in the foyer but not in the rooms if you want to bring your laptop. Our room had a little safe where I left passports and it was big enough to fit my SLR camera. We had to double check the door is shut properly when we left after leaving it not closed all the way one day. Nothing was stolen and all was well. Feel free to contact me for more info.

Room Tip: pay the little extra for ocean view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Tropicana Hotel? Share your experiences!