“Love a lot about Tropicana, but they need better wifi asap!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicana Hotel

You added Tropicana Hotel to your Saves list
Tropicana Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amapas 214 | Col. Emiliano Zapata, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #65 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Los Angeles
“Love a lot about Tropicana, but they need better wifi asap!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We just got back tonight from our 2nd stay at Tropicana. The location is perfect for us, right on the beach with beautiful grounds and 2 lovely pools. Its an easy walk to restaurants, cafes, bars etc - it's rare that we go anywhere in the old town that's not walking distance from the hotel. The hotel restaurant isn't great, but there's a good breakfast place right over the street and good coffee places close by.

Our room in the northern-most building had a balcony with ocean view and we went to sleep every night to the sound of the waves crashing. We're a gay couple but find Blue Chairs too busy and noisy. Whereas Tropicana is pretty quiet and has a nice mix of gay guys, straight couples, Mexican families and older guests and everyone gets along fine. And if you want to go hang out at Blue Chairs and be blasted by loud circuit music while lying on the beach it's only a 3 minute walk along Playa Muertos.

Now my gripe: They have GOT to get their wifi situation sorted out. It's bad enough that there is no wifi in the rooms. But when you go downstairs and sit with everyone else in the lobby trying to use their ipads and laptops, the wifi signal is very weak and often drops out. And forget trying to get a signal by the pool or at the beach in front of the hotel. I often need to do some work on vacation and this is a big annoyance - the lobby is the least attractive part of the hotel and I end up spending far too much time there trying to pick up the weak wifi signal and get some emails out. It's 2012 and the management at Tropicana need to get with the program on this or I may have to stay elsewhere next visit.

Only other gripe was a lingering, funky smell in the bathroom. From experience I know that Mexican plumbing can sometimes be temperamental and so we didn't make a fuss about it - and it wasn't bad enough to spoil our enjoyment of the room.

If wifi is not a priority and you are not looking for luxury, Tropicana is a great pick and good value for the money.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I travelled alone and wanted to be next to Blue Chair's where other friends where staying. This was perfect for me. The Tropicana is simple, clean and gets the job done. I was on the 5th floor with an ocean view room. I could hear the ocean at night, some say this is a bad thing. I think it was amazing to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. Room clean and safe. Breakfast is average, don't expect much. However you pay very little for a great location and I like eating in other places, especially Dee's Coffee house. Family orientated, however located in a pretty mixed area (eg. next to predominately gay hotel), very safe location for everyone. The grounds and pool are clean. Would return for a quick break from the snow as the price is always right for what you get. You may have to pay extra if you want a guest to stay overnight. Always register guests to be safe.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are great.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

3d time at this hotel. First time in an Economy room (don't bother) then a Superior, now a 'Standard'.
It was perfect; clean, spacious with a balcony and partial ocean view.
Housekeeping was excellent, overall service very friendly and accomodating.
There are extensive renovations going on to upgrade the rooms but luckily I was far enough away from construction noise.
Did not have any meals at the restaurant as there are too many delicious dining options close by. I was there during the 'Gourmet festival' and enjoyed some excellent cuisine.
The best thing about this hotel is still the location, value and now the beautiful new 2nd pool.
Enjoy your stay!
I

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had a great time at the Tropicana in December 2012. It is one of the most affordable places to stay in P.V. We flew with Sunwing and it was about $1150 including tax and cancelation insurance for 1 week. It is an older hotel and some things are a little run down but for me it just added to the ambiance and character. The location is great. It takes minutes to walk to coffees shops, restaurants etc. We had a superior room with a great view. The breakfast was included and it was just fine. Very basic- eggs, toast, bacon, fruit etc. The coffee is gross but we would just zip over to Dee's coffee shop and grab a great coffee before breakfast. I went with my two 19 and 21 year old daughters and thier friend. I felt very safe in that area. It is a 5 minute walk from La Palapa restaurant which is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. Great food, great service, right on the beach with cozy fire pits. The price at La Palapa was way less than we would pay in Canada for high quality food and service.
It is true that the beds are a bit hard but that is just how I like them. It is true that the air conditioning has one setting- turbo- but we would turn it off after a while and sleep with the balcony doors open and listen to the ocean.
I would probably not enjoy staying in a big A.I. resort and just loved the Tropicana. I have booked another trip for 2 weeks for spring break this year. I would loved to have the jr.suite with the kitchen but they are always booked.
The staff are super helpful and friendly. I never met one staff member that was rude or miserable. One of the door men has been there for about 30 years.
There is wifi down in the foyer but not in the rooms if you want to bring your laptop. Our room had a little safe where I left passports and it was big enough to fit my SLR camera. We had to double check the door is shut properly when we left after leaving it not closed all the way one day. Nothing was stolen and all was well. Feel free to contact me for more info.

Room Tip: pay the little extra for ocean view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Tropicana is an older hotel in the Romantic Zone of PV. This is the exact type of experience we seek out. It is beautifully kept up, flowers and plants everywhere. The service cannot be beat. Every employee with whom we interacted was helpful, friendly, and courteous. We found the restaurant food quite bland, but I simply asked for the sauces to be made more "picante" for us, and they complied very happily.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a balcony with a view. The "superior" rooms have a closer view of t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

A great location, choice of sitting poolside or stepping about 20 steps to you own palapa, table and chair/s on the beach. The staff are amazing and I felt safe every part of my day or evening at this hotel thanks to Feliciano, who really came to my rescue one night after having a drink at another establishment spiked and being followed back to my hotel. I just asked that he help me to my room and he caught on immediately to the guys that followed. That was just the first night! lol.
Everyone there made me feel like family. Best staff and management ever. Good English spoken if you're worried. I will stay again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer section with a partial view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I booked this trip on a Sunday and flew out the next morning so had no time to research. The hotel was good and the service was outstanding. Everyone was friendly and helpful, giving me tips on negotiating the prices on the beach, best places to exchange money etc. Just over to right out on the beach are the 'blue umbrellas' and yellow tables in front of La Carreta, the little restaurant I settled in front of every day. The service there was fantastic as well. The owner, Romy, works hard to see that all customers are kept in cold drinks, good food and pleasant conversation. I was kept in ice cold Coronas with lime all afternoon.

Room Tip: Get a room facing out to the beach!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Tropicana Hotel? Share your experiences!