“Simple yet effective” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicana Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tropicana Hotel to your Saves list
Tropicana Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Amapas 214 | Col. Emiliano Zapata, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #58 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Toronto, Canada
“Simple yet effective”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I travelled alone and wanted to be next to Blue Chair's where other friends where staying. This was perfect for me. The Tropicana is simple, clean and gets the job done. I was on the 5th floor with an ocean view room. I could hear the ocean at night, some say this is a bad thing. I think it was amazing to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. Room clean and safe. Breakfast is average, don't expect much. However you pay very little for a great location and I like eating in other places, especially Dee's Coffee house. Family orientated, however located in a pretty mixed area (eg. next to predominately gay hotel), very safe location for everyone. The grounds and pool are clean. Would return for a quick break from the snow as the price is always right for what you get. You may have to pay extra if you want a guest to stay overnight. Always register guests to be safe.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are great.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

404 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

3d time at this hotel. First time in an Economy room (don't bother) then a Superior, now a 'Standard'.
It was perfect; clean, spacious with a balcony and partial ocean view.
Housekeeping was excellent, overall service very friendly and accomodating.
There are extensive renovations going on to upgrade the rooms but luckily I was far enough away from construction noise.
Did not have any meals at the restaurant as there are too many delicious dining options close by. I was there during the 'Gourmet festival' and enjoyed some excellent cuisine.
The best thing about this hotel is still the location, value and now the beautiful new 2nd pool.
Enjoy your stay!
I

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had a great time at the Tropicana in December 2012. It is one of the most affordable places to stay in P.V. We flew with Sunwing and it was about $1150 including tax and cancelation insurance for 1 week. It is an older hotel and some things are a little run down but for me it just added to the ambiance and character. The location is great. It takes minutes to walk to coffees shops, restaurants etc. We had a superior room with a great view. The breakfast was included and it was just fine. Very basic- eggs, toast, bacon, fruit etc. The coffee is gross but we would just zip over to Dee's coffee shop and grab a great coffee before breakfast. I went with my two 19 and 21 year old daughters and thier friend. I felt very safe in that area. It is a 5 minute walk from La Palapa restaurant which is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. Great food, great service, right on the beach with cozy fire pits. The price at La Palapa was way less than we would pay in Canada for high quality food and service.
It is true that the beds are a bit hard but that is just how I like them. It is true that the air conditioning has one setting- turbo- but we would turn it off after a while and sleep with the balcony doors open and listen to the ocean.
I would probably not enjoy staying in a big A.I. resort and just loved the Tropicana. I have booked another trip for 2 weeks for spring break this year. I would loved to have the jr.suite with the kitchen but they are always booked.
The staff are super helpful and friendly. I never met one staff member that was rude or miserable. One of the door men has been there for about 30 years.
There is wifi down in the foyer but not in the rooms if you want to bring your laptop. Our room had a little safe where I left passports and it was big enough to fit my SLR camera. We had to double check the door is shut properly when we left after leaving it not closed all the way one day. Nothing was stolen and all was well. Feel free to contact me for more info.

Room Tip: pay the little extra for ocean view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Tropicana is an older hotel in the Romantic Zone of PV. This is the exact type of experience we seek out. It is beautifully kept up, flowers and plants everywhere. The service cannot be beat. Every employee with whom we interacted was helpful, friendly, and courteous. We found the restaurant food quite bland, but I simply asked for the sauces to be made more "picante" for us, and they complied very happily.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a balcony with a view. The "superior" rooms have a closer view of t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

A great location, choice of sitting poolside or stepping about 20 steps to you own palapa, table and chair/s on the beach. The staff are amazing and I felt safe every part of my day or evening at this hotel thanks to Feliciano, who really came to my rescue one night after having a drink at another establishment spiked and being followed back to my hotel. I just asked that he help me to my room and he caught on immediately to the guys that followed. That was just the first night! lol.
Everyone there made me feel like family. Best staff and management ever. Good English spoken if you're worried. I will stay again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer section with a partial view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I booked this trip on a Sunday and flew out the next morning so had no time to research. The hotel was good and the service was outstanding. Everyone was friendly and helpful, giving me tips on negotiating the prices on the beach, best places to exchange money etc. Just over to right out on the beach are the 'blue umbrellas' and yellow tables in front of La Carreta, the little restaurant I settled in front of every day. The service there was fantastic as well. The owner, Romy, works hard to see that all customers are kept in cold drinks, good food and pleasant conversation. I was kept in ice cold Coronas with lime all afternoon.

Room Tip: Get a room facing out to the beach!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My mom and I have just booked our 2 week PV trip # 4, and for the 4th time are staying at the Tropicana in March 2013, and we wouldn't ever think of booking anywhere else.
She and I spend our days in Mexico on the beach - reading, swimming, watching people, sometimes napping. We're not doing excursions or day trips - we plant ourselves in our chairs and that's where we stay from morning until dinner.
The Tropicana makes it so easy for us to do this. We're always up early, and the routine is grab the towels and reserve our home base for the day, get breakfast, truck up to Dees to get coffee, then park it. The vendors around the hotel are very friendly, and consistant. For the last 5 years we've been watching the daughter of the lady who sells mangoes grow up - she started in a play pen, and now she's running around everywhere. There's always someone selling food for snacks during the day, and the food at the hotel is basic, but worth the money you spend on it. Cerveza's are a good price, and the bartenders will mix you pretty much whatever you want.
The Tropicana is close to anything you would want to do. There are bars a bit of the way into town, but not close enough to bother those that are early to bed (us). We venture out every night for dinner, and there are SO MANY resturaunt choices in the area. If we're done early enough, we usually head down the Malecon and watch whatevers going on down there. We go to the square every Sunday night to watch the dancing, and one night we came upon city workers planting palm trees in the middle of the street - we ended up getting a coffee and watching them for almost two hours.
The hotel is also close to a couple markets, which are nice to walk to once in a while to break up the day.
The hotel staff is very nice - we've never enoucntered anyone rude. The rooms are basic, and yes - the beds are hard. I also have back problems, and let me tell you - I've never slept better! By the time we've spent all day in the sun, eaten and spent a couple hours wandering around, we're so tired the floor would be welcoming.
Everything people are saying about reserving rooms is correct, and in my eyes this is the only downfall of the hotel (that and the lack of swim up bar, which I'm weirdly fixated on). Every time we've gone, we've had to switch rooms. We don't mind the old tower, but we avoid anything overlooking the pool. One year we overlooked the courtyard where the laundry area was, which was lovely. The second time we had a street facing room, which wasn't too bad except for the odd person blasting music (there used to be a resturaunt across the street that had a parrot, and he would wake us up every morning, which was lovely). The last time we went our room overlooked a side street, into the apartment of a lovely man who talked to us every night, and fed his cats on the roof of his car. So anything not pool facing will offer up a little more. However, a basic room is just that - trip three we were shown into a room with two beds and a tiny window overlooking a concrete yard filled with broken furniture. Mom and I are both smokers, so a balcony is a must. It took two days, but we were eventually able to switch to the "cat" room. Follow everyone's advice and book anything above basic - and ask to upgrade when you get there if you're unhappy. They'll start by saying that nothing can be done, but eventually it'll all get sorted out.
Love Mexico, more than happy with the Tropicana, and March can't come fast enough!!

Room Tip: Say no to standard rooms! Superior and up, unless you really aren't spending any time in the ro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tropicana Hotel? Share your experiences!