“Met our vacation needs perfectly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Dona Susana

Save Saved
You added Casa Dona Susana to your Saves list
Casa Dona Susana
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Manuel M. Dieguez 171, Col. Emiliano Zapata, Puerto Vallarta 48380, Mexico (Formerly Los Arcos Vallarta)   |
Ranked #57 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Toronto
“Met our vacation needs perfectly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Casa Dona Susana is ideal for anyone who is looking for clean and comfortable accommodations in the Romantic Zone of Puerto Vallarta. We requested a junior suite because we wanted to have a balcony (which we used for morning coffee and a bite for breakfast most mornings) and basic kitchen facilities (small fridge, coffee maker and toaster). The room was clean and the king sized bed was pretty good for a Mexican mattress. It was wonderful to have the adult only pool on the roof because the pool at Los Arcos was very full of screaming children...it was great that the kids were enjoying the pool but it's hard to relax near all that audible joy. We could hear the music from Andale's when we were in the bathroom but not through the glass windows and door in the main room which was good. The air conditioning was relatively quiet too. The staff was pleasant and helpful. We'll definitely stay here again.

218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this 'Boutique" hotel this month (April 2013). This is an adult only hotel and is small at only about 36 rooms over 4 floors.
We had a small room (#203) that included a king bed (very comfortable) and washroom with shower. Only rooms ending with 05 or 06 had balcony's overlooking the street and the Los Arcos Suites hotel across the way. Even though the room was small, it was clean and suited our needs. The small air conditioner worked well and kept us comfortable sleeping.
The hotel's street 'Manuel M Dieguez' is a cul-de-sac so there is no though traffic which made for a quiet stay. We were able to walk to the Playa los Muertos beach which was 1 1/2 short blocks away. Multiple restaurants, bars, cafes of the Zona Romantica are short walks away.
Casa Dona Susana is part of the Los Arcos hotel group which includes the Los Arcos Suites across the street, and the large Playa Los Arcos down the street. As a guest of Casa Dona Susana you have the use of all the pool, restaurant, bar and beach of the Playa Los Arcos hotel. Casa Dona Susana does not have a restaurant or bar, so this is handy.
The best feature of Casa Dona Susana is its rooftop deck and pool. The hotel has an open central atrium with trees growing up from the main floor up through the 4th floor deck creating shade and a pleasant ambiance. There is also a gazebo area with bistro chairs and a change room. Multiple lounge chairs are available. During our stay the pool area was never crowded. It could accommodate about 30 people, but there were never more than 5 there! It made a great place to relax without the hustle of the beach areas. You are able to bring drinks and alcohol to the pool deck, but it must be in plastic for obvious reasons.
The staff was efficient, if a little distant. Typically would not talk to you unless you spoke to them first.
A handy thing is the café 1/2 block down Manuel M Dieguez at Olas Altas that takes up the corner of the sidewalk. Its called 'Cafesto' and its a great place for coffee in the morning and a light breakfast. You can sit and people watch as pedestrians walk though the outdoor coffee area under the porch roofing and trellised walls. Sounds strange, but it works and is not disruptive.
Casa Dona Susana is a great location to use as a base to explore the Romantic Zone, Rio Cuale, Malecon and Centro areas of Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: Only rooms ending in 05 and 06 have balconies if that is important to you. Otherwise the roof-deck...
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was my 4th stay at this hotel in the heart of the Romantic Zone in Puerto Vallarta. I was traveling with a friend and we requested a room with two beds. We were given their "interior suite," which basically means it had a small kitchen in it. The room was fairly big and more than adequate for our 9 night stay. We found a great deal on the all inclusive and did this again this trip as well.

The good of this hotel is highlighted by the rooftop pool. The pool was cool and refreshing and there were never more than 4-5 people up there... very relaxing.
Staff at Casa was pleasant and kind.

Really the only "negative" about the stay was the all inclusive. It really wasn't a bad thing, just something to comment on. I experienced one waiter for my meals that was not too nice. I don't know what he had against me, but Juan seemed irritated whenever I was around. I simply tried to avoid his area when possible.
The food was buffet style as usual and became VERY predictable. I didn't think the variety was all that great, but my friend was satisfied.
At breakfast you could have eggs cooked to order or pancakes (which is what I did most days) otherwise the rest of the choices were nearly identical every day.
The special coupon meals were very nice. I had a great Ribeye one night that was simply wonderful. And the friend plantain dessert was one of the best desserts I have ever had.

Otherwise, the trip was great. How can you not love the part of PV???? I know I will be back... again.

Room Tip: Ask when you check in... they seem to be very accomodating
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Whidbey Island, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is part of the Los Arcos complex consisting of the larger family oriented hotel on the beach, this hotel the Dona Susana and a suites oriented hotel across the street. It is relatively small with an open atrium sporting a large tree that sprouts out of the top four levels up. There is a smallish pool on the roof along with some covered and open space for sun bathing or cooling off. A single elevator reaches all floors or take the open staircase. Our room was on the 2nd floor and looked out on to the roof of the building next door. Lousy view, but other rooms fare better. The room was just large enough to hold the king bed, two chairs and a small table against the wall, and a narrow table against the other wall. There was a small closet along with a mid-size 'fridge (one step up from the dorm room model) and microwave. The one-person bathroom was equally small with a standup shower, sink and toilet. We glanced in some other rooms on our floor as they were being cleaned and noticed that the sizes and layout varied in each case (and were larger than ours). The room was equipped with high quality towels with a pair arranged on the bed in the form of a swan - nicely done. There was a high end coffee maker in the lobby along with some tea cookies in the morning - no restaurant on site. The staff was attentive and spoke English. Our return flight was late the next day and they took care of our luggage while we made a last walking trip down the beach. You have access to the concierge at the larger Los Arcos hotel should you need assistance. Dona Susana is in an excellent location just a block from the beach and near the center of the "romantic zone".

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front and back will have better views than those on the beach side. I don't kn...
san antonio, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a great little adults only hotel. There is a group called Los Arcos and they own 3 hotels all within a block of each other and this is their adults only hotel. It is small and quaint, it has a great courtyard and a nice pool on the rooftop. As a guest here you do have access to the other 2 hotels if you want for swimming or eating. The rooms are adequate. The A/C units work wonderful and yes the beds could use an upgrade but they are not horrible. The rooms are small but so is the price. The staff is always very nice and they have FREE parking for guests which is great because parking in Puerto Vallarta can be challenging. The hotel is on a dead end street so there is not alot of traffice and it is right in the center of the old town. Walking distance to everything you want - restaurants, clubs, beach, stores, boardwalk - all very close by. I have stayed here at least 4 times already and would recommend it to anyone.

Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our room at Casa Dona Susannah did not have a balcony or a window to the outside. The only windows we had were to the interior court. We had asked for an upgrade, but the hotel was fully booked.

Nevertheless, we had looked at the pictures online and knew that it was not a 5 star, but I have to say, the air conditioner worked, our room was always cleaned everyday, and it was a clean room. The staff were wonderful, the front desk ladies and the bellmen were great, as were the cleaning staff. One night, we wanted to go to a restaurant that we hadn't been to before, so the staff gave us a map and showed us where it was, and also one of the bellmen had eaten there before and said it was absolutely phenomenal. So with their directions and their recommendation we headed off to El Brujo, a must to anyone staying in the Romantic Zone. I will post another review just on that.

Nothing bad to say about them, would I stay there again, not if I didn't have to, just because of the other guests that would come back drunk and laugh loudly and wake me up. That has nothing to do with the hotel staff, just the way the hotel has the enclosed courtyard, and guests that don't care how loud they are when they are drunk. We always whispered so as to not disturb the other guests, unfortunately not everyone respects other guests. We loved the location, as we always stay in the Romantic Zone, and we enjoyed the pool upstairs and of course, we used the pool at Los Arcos as well.

Room Tip: If I were to stay there again, I would ask for a room with a balcony and also a kitchenette, as brea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I recently stayed for a week at Casa Dona Susana and was very pleased. The location of the hotel, which is a part of the Los Arcos Hotel, is just minutes from the beach and close to attractions, the new pier and the boardwalk. I stayed on the 3rd floor in a King room. The rooftop of Casa Dona Susana is lovely and pleasant place to relax with a small swimming pool. It was quiet, with no children, and a great place to read or sun bathe if you are so inclined.

The staff was so helpful and kind. For those who don't speak Spanish, most of the staff speak good English so you won't have to break out your Spanish dictionary. For those of us who speak very limited Spanish, its a great chance to practice, which I plan to do more on my next visit.

I got the all inclusive package and enjoyed the buffet. Its not a fancy, gourmet buffet but is a great deal for the budget traveler who likes to eat but doesn't have a lot to spend. They also provided two coupons for me and my companion so that we could enjoy a specialty meal one night (salad, entree and a dessert) and a selection from the grill (salad or soup, entree, and ice cream) another night. We really enjoyed the specialty meal and the food from the grill was good too! For the majority of the time, we had Betulio as our server in the restaurant, which is located across in the street in the larger hotel. Betulio was friendly, helpful and a great waiter! I tried the flaming coffee one night and he made it at the table----entertainment and delicious coffee all at once! Alcoholic beverages are included in the all inclusive package as well as all shows that are performed in the restaurant.

If you are travelling on a budget (or not), Casa Dona Susana is a lovely little place to stay. The only complaint I had is that the wifi was not reliable....but that's not much too complain about! Give this place a try. When I return to Puerto Vallarta, this place will be first on my list!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Dona Susana? Share your experiences!