“Not like your average chain hotel -thank goodness!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Suites la Siesta

Save Saved
You added Hotel Suites la Siesta to your Saves list
Hotel Suites la Siesta
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez y Miramar, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Ranked #98 of 119 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Canada
“Not like your average chain hotel -thank goodness!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

We chose this hotel because we wanted to stay somewhere smaller that more accurately reflected Mexico. Barry (the owner) and his staff were warm, welcoming and full of good info. The suites are simple but beautiful, linen and towels are spotlessly clean. The spectacular
views are exactly as shown. Lovely pool and a nice exchange library. The Panorama restaurant and staff meet all expectations, especially the great coffees! Don't turn the stove on when the glass lid is down and bring good footwear for the uneven, cobbled streets.
Walk most places, catch buses- dead cheap. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did. We will go back

Stayed February 2007

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2007

My girlfriend and i stayed here over the New Years Holidays and found it be an ideal get-a-way from the bussle of beach front accomadations yet close enough to enjoy a few nights on the town.

Our Junior suite was very spacious, well equiped and cleaned throughout everyday, all the staff where very nice and friendly. The decor has a Mexican feel, but be warned, it's not a spanky new place if that's what your use too. The kitchen was perfect for us as we both like to cook and the supermarket Lays was close enough for us to stock up on supplies. other comments...

The pool area is a wonderful little spot for chillin'
the suites are very private with the best possible views of the bay
there's some fabulous places to eat with a few blocks including Si Senor, Mestizo and if you fancy a real splash out Hacinda San Angel is about a 10 min walk. I didn't eat in El Panorama so i can't comment about the food here.
The cable TV showed a lot of English soccer and my favorite TV show Da Vinci's Inquest - a bonus for me not my girlie.
The owner Barry and all his staff made the New year holidays a lot of fun. And the price is right.
Possible turn off's for some people would be....
the reception and general areas could do with a lick of paint.
it's half way up a hill so there is some walking to do (a taxi is $4).
there is some noise from the nightclubs and bars - our suite had a separate bedroom and we could close the door, but if your a very light sleeper then ear plugs could be handy.
it's a busy place holiday spot, including packed beaches - not a get away from people vacation here. if you want to get away from people check out San Pancho 1 hour north

enjoy.

Tim.

• Liked — Views, Location, Price, Private apartment style suites
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Idyllwild, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2006

I live in Mexico half time and had never been to Puerto Vallarta. I researched the American owned hotel here at TripAdvisor and found the experience pleasant. The problem is that Puerto Vallarta is a poor copy of Waikiki except that it is dirtier and noisier. The noise volume emanating from sound systems in discos and other sources was deafening through to 4 a.m. Christmas Eve. I had earplugs on and had all of the windows closed in the suite. The restaurant atop the hotel called the Panorama is very expensive but the view is quite wonderful. Go up there and look around for free.

Prices for inferior restaurants are exhorbitant by American standards, so why pay more in Mexico? Generally, packages offered for a Waikiki type vacation are a better value overall from the mainland.

I cannot overemphasize the Waikiki aspect of this experience. It is so obvious that PV is out to copy it exactly and that is a shame since Mexico has so much more distinctive to offer.

I recommend a quieter beach resort in Mexico and avoiding PV and, of course, Acapulco.

Stayed December 2006
Highland, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2006

The main reason why we chose this hotel was because of its location and price. Paid only about $53 per night for a junior suite which had a bedroom, small bathroom area, living room, and balcony. The view from our room was pretty nice, but since we were on the 1st floor, it wasn't as nice as the ones on expedia.

The service was pretty good. The cleaning ladies always gave us fresh towels and cleaned the room spotless. They actually mop the floors which I did not know. But one thing I must say is that the beds are not very comfortable. But I think that most beds in Mexico are quite hard. So I was pretty prepared for that. You could always go to WalMart and get an egg foam mattress.

There are about 100 steps down from the hotel into downtown. You walk down, pass a mexican restaurant called Si Senor and then a couple of blocks and you are right by a bank and the Malecon. We loved walking on the Malecon every night that we could. We went during the Virgin of Guadalupe Festival so there were lots of taco stands there on the 12th, but after that there were not much in the area. But there is always food on the Malecon, which is more busy on Saturday and Sunday. There were artists drawing pictures, a guy stacking rocks, and a few acrobatics. And you also get to watch the fireworks from the Pirate Ship.

Ok... now back to the hotel. In our room, 10A, there were just a couple of things that we didn't like. First of all, my boyfriend didn't like it that the bed faces the entrance (some superstition thing). Also, in the restroom shower, the left handle leaked water so we had to put a small towel to keep it from getting on the floor. But the staff was very nice and accomodating.

There is also a small room in the hotel that has two computers which guests can use for 12 pesos per hour. But I believe that guests that stay for atleast 7 days can use it for free. Too bad we found out about this the day we left.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The hard beds
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Round Rock, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2006

We found this hotel on the Expedia website. One of the main factors in choosing this hotel was the location. It is situated walking distance to the Malicon (boardwalk). However getting to the hotel by car can be pretty tricky, especially since the streets are so narrow and the steep inclines can make getting there a bit difficult. We chose to either walk or get a taxi to take us wherever we needed to go.

The room was a Master Suite with two bedrooms, kitchen and small living room. Each bedroom came with a kingsize bed and each had its own bathroom. The kitchen was fully equipped including dishes and a microwave. The living room was small two sofa beds a coffee table and a television.

What we loved most about this room was the fantastic view we had from the terrace. We would open the sliding glass windows and take in the beauty of the ocean and the town below. Of coarse late at night we could hear the music from the discos on the boardwalk but it wasn't something that kept us up at night.

What we didn't like about the hotel was that there was no air condioning! It seems almost a given that ALL hotels have some sort of air condioning but this one did not. Instead it had two ceiling fans one in each of the two bedrooms. So with all of the windows open we got a good breeze most of the day.

Another thing that was a bit annoying was that the internet access was limited to the lobby business room. A small 6' by 12' room with two computers. I carry my laptop with wireless connection but had to unplug one of the computers they had, connect mine and use it there in that tiny room. One more thing, they charge you for use of the internet service. If you decide not to take your laptop there are several cyber cafes nearby that charge $10 pesos per hour.

Our kids loved the pools. They have a childrens pool and a regular size pool. The pool area is clean and well kept with comfortable lounge chairs, tables and umbrellas. On one occasion our kids left some of there water toys by the pool and the clerks there at the office returned them to us which I thought was nice.

Overall, I would have given this hotel a higher rating but the lack of air conditioning was definitely a factor in this. The price was about $130 USD per night because they charge you $26 USD for each extra person after the first two. This hotel is nice but definitely needs some renovations.

• Stayed June 2006
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

I went to Puerto Vallarta for a few days with my boy-friend during the early part of June, and stayed at the Hotel Suites La Siesta. Before going on this trip, I did A LOT of "research" on the hotels that are in Puerto Vallarta, as well as reading the reviews that were posted for the hotels. Since we're both on a pretty tight budget, I tried my best to look for a hotel that was reasonable and worth the money, but not someplace that we would regret staying at.

Some of my choices at the beginning were the NH Krystal hotel or the Holiday Inn hotel, but honestly, I can say now that I'm glad I stayed at the Hotel Suites La Siesta. Around the time we had went to Puerto Vallarta, there was a lot of construction going on around those two hotels, and location wise, if you want to be "where it's at", in the heart of Downtown, Hotel Suites La Siesta is a good choice.

Although it is located on a hill, we didn't find climbing the stairs bad at all. The stairs don't go in a straight row up, it keeps turning here and there, so in my opinion, it doesn't seem like there are that many stairs to climb.

Because we only spent 2 nights at the La Siesta in Puerto Vallarta, we weren't able to do much, like go swimming in the pool or eat at the El Panorama restaurant. I can't say anything about the restaurant, since I only saw it from the outside, but for the few times I went around the pool area, it was always nicely kept; there was no trash lying around anywhere.

I made the reservation through expedia, since it was the only site that offered air + this hotel. The room we got was on the fourth floor, it had one double sized bed and then two sofa beds in the living room, a bathroom, but minus a kitchen. We were happy that we got a lot of space for around the $53 a night we spent. The following is a few things that were "memorable" about the particular room that we stayed in:
1) The area where the bed was located was in the back (near the entrance), with a wall dividing this area and the living room area, which is good since you can't hear the sound of the music playing down by the Malecon (boardwalk) at night. We didn't think the music down there was that incredibly loud; we always slept with the door open. The only thing that bothered me was the heat - it was just generally hot & humid around the time we went, and since there was literally hardly any wind blowing, without the ceiling fans, it would be too hot in the room.
2) The bathroom was okay, I believe the bath tub/shower head could be improved, it seems a little "rusty", but it had the old/authentic charm to it.
3) Balcony area was nice, and then of course the view - that was probably one of the main reasons why I had really wanted to stay at the La Siesta. Although we were on the fourth floor, since this hotel is located on a hill, all the rooms regardless of the floor you're on, will have a great view. When we were driving down Puerto Vallarta, looking at the other hotels, FOR EXAMPLE, the NH Krystal hotel, I was thinking how I was glad I didn't choose that hotel - based on where that hotel was located as compared to La Siesta, and also the reviews that I had read, the Hotel Suites La Siesta seems so much better and worth what you're paying for.

My only complaint about my stay at the Hotel Suites La Siesta was the insects. Because this hotel is close to the mountains, it does attract some insects. This is the first hotel I stayed at where there were tiny ants crawling around the bathroom sink area. The bathroom sink in the particular room we stayed in was literally right next to the front entrance - in my opinion it should have been in a "bathroom". Little ants that were crawling over the hand towels near the sink, kind of bothered me. I wouldn't leave my toothbrush there. . . They would go away after a while, but obviously the point is they shouldn't be there in the first place. Also, during my two night stay, I unfortunately got bit by a mosquito 18 times, which I will never forget - so itchy! But hey, it could be a lot worse!

From what we experienced, the hotel staff, the front desk personnel were pleasant, but then again, my boy-friend who is Spanish, talked to them mostly, so it might be different if I had to do everything on my own.

As it was previously said in an earlier review, this isn't a hotel like the Holiday Inn, or what a 4 or 5 star hotel would be, but all in all in my opinion, it is a decent hotel. You definitely get what you paid for. When I went back home to Hawaii a few years ago and my boy-friend and I stayed at a hotel in Waikiki, it was probably double what we had paid for at the La Siesta, and the amount of space we got and the view we ended up with was not worth it, compared to the La Siesta.

Would I stay at this hotel again? If I ever go back to Puerto Vallarta, sure, I most likely would. If you're the type that doesn't want to spend a couple hundred dollars a night and are looking for a hotel that is 1) in the heart of downtown 2) ocean view 3) pretty spacious 4) no timeshare people hanging around or near the property 5) an authentic Mexican accomodation, this is the place for you. I recommend it.

• Stayed June 2006
Sunnyvale, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2006

I was apprehensive in booking this hotel. The previous reviews were mixed, both good and bad so I wasn't sure what to expect. A bit about myself, I used to do alot of travelling and earned platnium status with Marriot - so I've got high expectations.

My girlfriend and I stayed a week here and just got back. Personally, I wanted to stay at the beachfront hotels in the hotel zone. My gf wanted to stay here, so we compromised, I get next pick on our next vacation! Her idea was to stay in a cheaper hotel and save money for activities.

My first reaction when I arrived was, this is huge. We got a jr suite, which was like a 1 bedroom condo. There was a nice kitchen, dining area, living room (tv), and bedroom with a door. There were 2 bathrooms and 1 shower/1 tub. For the price we paid, I think it's a bargain to get this much space.

The location is on a big hill that overlooks a gorgeous view of Puerto Vallarta and the ocean. We climbed the famous stairs for a week. It's hilly, but not too bad. The location is great, right in the malecon. You're about 3 blocks away from the bus stop. 4 Blocks from the water. The music from the clubs is bearable if you shut the door to your room. It's not a 4 star hotel, it's more like authentic living in Mexico.

Some small problems - no tv remote and alarm clock.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. We spoke spanish with them, and maybe this was helpful.

Would I stay here again, probably not. The hotel was great, and the service was fine. Location is good if you want to be in the heart of downtown. You can walk to everything in the malecon or take a short bus ride to the malecon. Next time, I'd prefer to be on the beach - but that's just personal preferences.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Hotel Suites la Siesta? Share your experiences!