“Always Friendly and Helpful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta

Save Saved
You added Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Morelos No. 170 | Col. Centro, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Special Rate
$44USD Last minute deal!!
Ranked #19 of 120 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Owatonna, Minnesota
“Always Friendly and Helpful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Once again, we enjoyed the Hotel Rio Malecon just this last week. The room was excellent and even on the main street, it was quiet at night. The food was great and the last night we needed to stay in PV, they were renovating the kitchen and AC bar area. No problem, there are so many restaurants in the area we just walked a few blocks.

The staff at the front desk is absolutely the best we've ever seen! They speak English and are sincerely helpful. They really like their jobs as it projects in all that they do. If you've never stayed down by the Malecon, this is the hotel to stay at. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
zvictor, Owner at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Diane,
We truly appreciate the time you took to share your opinion of the service received during your last stay in Hotel Rio Malecon.

We are glad to hear that your experience was as pleasant as other years, even though we were in the middle of improvements. i would like to let you know that the restaurant has reopen and we are ready to serve you.

We’ll keep working everyday to provide you and all of our guests with excellent service and personalized attention.

We will be thrilled to welcome you again soon.

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

CloseTo The Beach, Close To Everything You Want To Do In Mexico. We Had The Time Of Our Lives Heading Back Asap!
They Go All Out For Holidays Valentines Day Was Great They Filled The Pool With Balloons Shaped Like Hearts. Great Music And The Food Was Amazing!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear (nombre con el que aparece en TripAdvisor)

Thank you very much for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

Even thou The Rio Has got an excellent centrical location and indeed it is close to all the interesting spots in downtown vallarta, saying that it is close to everything in Mexico might be an overstatement : )

Our daily goals are to keep our guests happy and to satisfy all of their needs, therefore, we’re proud to have accomplished our mission during your stay.

It’ll be an honor to welcome you again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is very nice the staff are very pleasant to be around ...the rooms are far in between from the elevators which make your journey to the room a task especially if your intoxicated ...the food is nice I would go back !!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Princeton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Our stay at the Rio was outstanding. From the top notch front desk staff to the waiters and bartenders in the restaurant everyone was friendly and helpful. The front desk-man spoke to us on our way out to dinner one night and we told him it was our anniversary and we were headed to Trio restaurant for dinner. After we left the hotel he called the Trio and told them it was our anniversary. Were we surprised when we got a free desert with a Happy Anniversary candle! Our room was very comfortable with hot water on demand, a great air conditioning system and,a very comfortable bed with a king size mattress. The hotel restaurant Coexist had great Vallarta food and a quality wait staff. Thanks to all! Our second stay at the Rio will be this December and we are counting the days.

Room Tip: Rooms with the king sized beds are newly remodeled
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Chuck
What a nice review! thank you very, very much. It is great to know that you are going to be back so soon. I think the staff I got right now is one of the best if not my best team in 20 years. thank you for your recognition and for sharing your experience at Hotel Rio Malecon with the rest of the world.

Some guests are like part of our family and we do our best to make everyone feel that way.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Best Regards.

Quincy, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed here for 4 weeks and felt very much at home the entire time. The location was perfect for me to walk everywhere I wanted to go. My room was cleaned daily and my bed was super comfortable. The entire hotel crew was always helpful and friendly. A special thanks to Saul who made me feel welcome and was always up for a chat no matter what time of day or night. I also enjoyed the Coexist Cafe. I ate there several times. The food, drinks and staff were incredible! Thanks to Rigo, Raman, Ricardo for always making sure that I had what I needed. I'm going to miss this place and the people. I will definitely be back to visit all of you soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Quincy,

We appreciate the time you took to share the experience of your stay at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta.

The satisfaction and comfort of our guests is our priority and continuous goal.

When guests take time to let us know that we have accomplished our mission, we feel full of joy and encouraged to keep working hard to deliver our promise of providing our guest with exceptional attention.

Thanks for your preference.

We will be very glad to welcome you again soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here in July and was very happy with my choice, thanks to the TA reviews. The hotel had a very good rate for the low season, and I loved the location across the street from the Malecon and within easy and pleasant walking distance to the Romantic Zone.
I think some of the rooms at this hotel have a partial view towards the water from their balconies..
My room happened to look directly across at another building and down on one of those ubiquitous t-shirt and souvenir stores, so there was no ocean view from my room, but I didn't care..I could go across the street and walk along the malecon and see the ocean whenever I wanted.
I loved the small scale of this low-rise hotel, which I much prefer to large, impersonal resorts. This is the kind of place where the friendly front-desk staff greet you by name every time you come in, always with a smile. Thanks, Daniel and Ulysses!
My room was one of the superior doubles.. there was no kitchenette in my room, but it was very nicely updated with a stylish paint finish on the walls, a heavy white room-darkening curtain to block out light in the morning from the balcony window, and a nice walk-in shower. I liked this room better than a few of the older rooms that I saw as I passed by while the maids were cleaning. THese rooms still looked clean but they heavy white stucco walls and looked in need of updating.
Some of the larger rooms do have a kitchenette, but I didn't need one so didn't ask for one.
I found the bed comfortably firm rather than hard. The room was kept spotlessly clean by the friendly maids, and best of all, especially at this very humid time of year, was the excellent and strong room air conditioning.
I was so grateful for it with the hot muggy days and getting very sweaty as I walked around the city. It was so refreshing to come back and turn on the air, which worked immediately and made sleeping very pleasant. I would not have been able to sleep well if the room had not had air conditioning.
There is also a small, stylish restaurant at the hotel, called Coexist,which is also air conditioned, and that seemed to be unusual in PV..I found a lot of restaurants had big open windows and no aircon, so you make a note when you pass one that has it...I had nice breakfasts at the hotel, and the waiters and waitresses were very friendly and efficient.
The road that my room directly overlooked was the busy road on which buses all come in to town, so I was worried that it might be noisy, but when you close them the windows actually insulate the sound fairly well, and then with the air conditioning turned on and creating some white noise, I had no trouble sleeping at all, and woke up refreshed each day.
There is a small pool right next to the restaurant, which some kids enjoyed while I was there but it was a little too small for me and not much area immediately around it to lie on lounge chairs ..it's basically just a small cooling-off pool.
One of the staff told me they are considering creating a new terrace on the roof that would also have a better pool, so that would be nice if it happens.
I would definitely stay here again, as I loved the location and friendliness of the staff. It's small and simple, but exactly my kind of place.
Thanks to all the excellent staff at Hotel Rio for making my week in PV so pleasant. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Davis, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Good, clean hotel with a very helpful desk staff. Located in the Centro, just a block off of the Malecon and a couple of blocks north of the Rio Cuale -- great location for exploring the heart of the city. Few blocks south is Playa de Los Muertos and the pier from which one can take the Water Taxi to Yelapa. The rooms have kitchenette facilities - fridge, microwave, sink, and some dishes and utensils - see note regarding room choice. There are convenience stores nearby, but did not see a real grocery store in the neighborhood. There is a small pool that is attractive and refreshing, located next to the restaurant - the Coexistence Cafe. Obviously this isn't for those who want a full-service resort. But it is great for those who want to be in a location where they can get a full sense and appreciation of the city -- vendors, taxi drivers, and all.

Room Tip: The rooms with 2 beds are along the main street, Calle Morelos and it is VERY noisy -- buses and tru...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
zvictor, Owner at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Mr. Davis,

Thank you very much for writing a review about your experience in Hotel Rio Malecon.

We’re glad to hear that you found the location of the hotel convenient and the service of the desk staff helpful.
Sorry to hear that you found your room on the main street noisy. I have invested a lot of resources to keep the noise out of the hotel rooms and make them more comfortable everyday and this has proved successful. However equipment sometimes fails and needs adjustments to guarantee noise insulation. This I presume was the reason why street noise got inside your room. So I thank you for your feedback and encourage you and all our guest to let us know of ANYthing that we can do to make your stay more comfortable, the reason why we exist is to serve our guest!

Hope to have the opportunity to welcome you as our guest again very soon.

Victor Zamorano

Been to Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!