“Charming small hotel, great location, friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Best prices from these 9 sites
Save Saved
You added Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta to your Saves list
Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Morelos No. 170 | Col. Centro, Puerto Vallarta 48300, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
2x1 Get 2nites and pay1 !
Ranked #24 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Toronto, Canada
“Charming small hotel, great location, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here in July and was very happy with my choice, thanks to the TA reviews. The hotel had a very good rate for the low season, and I loved the location across the street from the Malecon and within easy and pleasant walking distance to the Romantic Zone.
I think some of the rooms at this hotel have a partial view towards the water from their balconies..
My room happened to look directly across at another building and down on one of those ubiquitous t-shirt and souvenir stores, so there was no ocean view from my room, but I didn't care..I could go across the street and walk along the malecon and see the ocean whenever I wanted.
I loved the small scale of this low-rise hotel, which I much prefer to large, impersonal resorts. This is the kind of place where the friendly front-desk staff greet you by name every time you come in, always with a smile. Thanks, Daniel and Ulysses!
My room was one of the superior doubles.. there was no kitchenette in my room, but it was very nicely updated with a stylish paint finish on the walls, a heavy white room-darkening curtain to block out light in the morning from the balcony window, and a nice walk-in shower. I liked this room better than a few of the older rooms that I saw as I passed by while the maids were cleaning. THese rooms still looked clean but they heavy white stucco walls and looked in need of updating.
Some of the larger rooms do have a kitchenette, but I didn't need one so didn't ask for one.
I found the bed comfortably firm rather than hard. The room was kept spotlessly clean by the friendly maids, and best of all, especially at this very humid time of year, was the excellent and strong room air conditioning.
I was so grateful for it with the hot muggy days and getting very sweaty as I walked around the city. It was so refreshing to come back and turn on the air, which worked immediately and made sleeping very pleasant. I would not have been able to sleep well if the room had not had air conditioning.
There is also a small, stylish restaurant at the hotel, called Coexist,which is also air conditioned, and that seemed to be unusual in PV..I found a lot of restaurants had big open windows and no aircon, so you make a note when you pass one that has it...I had nice breakfasts at the hotel, and the waiters and waitresses were very friendly and efficient.
The road that my room directly overlooked was the busy road on which buses all come in to town, so I was worried that it might be noisy, but when you close them the windows actually insulate the sound fairly well, and then with the air conditioning turned on and creating some white noise, I had no trouble sleeping at all, and woke up refreshed each day.
There is a small pool right next to the restaurant, which some kids enjoyed while I was there but it was a little too small for me and not much area immediately around it to lie on lounge chairs ..it's basically just a small cooling-off pool.
One of the staff told me they are considering creating a new terrace on the roof that would also have a better pool, so that would be nice if it happens.
I would definitely stay here again, as I loved the location and friendliness of the staff. It's small and simple, but exactly my kind of place.
Thanks to all the excellent staff at Hotel Rio for making my week in PV so pleasant. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Davis, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Good, clean hotel with a very helpful desk staff. Located in the Centro, just a block off of the Malecon and a couple of blocks north of the Rio Cuale -- great location for exploring the heart of the city. Few blocks south is Playa de Los Muertos and the pier from which one can take the Water Taxi to Yelapa. The rooms have kitchenette facilities - fridge, microwave, sink, and some dishes and utensils - see note regarding room choice. There are convenience stores nearby, but did not see a real grocery store in the neighborhood. There is a small pool that is attractive and refreshing, located next to the restaurant - the Coexistence Cafe. Obviously this isn't for those who want a full-service resort. But it is great for those who want to be in a location where they can get a full sense and appreciation of the city -- vendors, taxi drivers, and all.

Room Tip: The rooms with 2 beds are along the main street, Calle Morelos and it is VERY noisy -- buses and tru...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
zvictor, Owner at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Mr. Davis,

Thank you very much for writing a review about your experience in Hotel Rio Malecon.

We’re glad to hear that you found the location of the hotel convenient and the service of the desk staff helpful.
Sorry to hear that you found your room on the main street noisy. I have invested a lot of resources to keep the noise out of the hotel rooms and make them more comfortable everyday and this has proved successful. However equipment sometimes fails and needs adjustments to guarantee noise insulation. This I presume was the reason why street noise got inside your room. So I thank you for your feedback and encourage you and all our guest to let us know of ANYthing that we can do to make your stay more comfortable, the reason why we exist is to serve our guest!

Hope to have the opportunity to welcome you as our guest again very soon.

Best Regards,

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The location of this hotel cannot be beat. It's walking distance to just about everywhere. The rooms clean, comfortable and tended to daily. Ate at Coexist once - and it was quite good. The staff at the hotel was amazing - front desk to cleaning crew. The only rooms updated so far are the king bed rooms. We needed 2 beds and were told none of those rooms had been done yet. one the less - clean and comfortable. Free wifi was fantastic. We were in a room overlooking the pool and was very quiet the weekend came. Children everywhere doing what kids do in a pool.
Our only complaint was the sewer smell in our room- we hoped it would go away and was isolated but stayed with us the entire stay. We put a towel down over the drain in the bathroom and it helped minimize the odor.
I travel to PV often - every couple weeks and would stay at Rio again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mark
We appreciate the time you took to share your comments about your stay at Hotel Rio Malecon.
It is very pleasant to know that the hotel fulfilled all of your needs, such as; location, comfort and quality of service.
I know exactly what you are talking about in that room, it is in my list of improvements
thank you very much for this feedback, we have figured out the way to keep it away in the mean time,

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Best Regards.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed at hotel Rio for 2 weeks in May and have absolutely no complaints. The rooms were clean and all of the staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. We could not go wrong in the Coexist restaurant downstairs - I kept ordering different items and everything was delicious! The location is good too, just off of the malecon. We never had to walk far for anything. I would definitely go back and stay there again.

Room Tip: Go for a room with the kitchenette because you are going to want cold water and a place for your lef...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chapala, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Our second stay at Hotel Rio confirmed the quality of this hotel. The front desk staff were personable, accommodating, and always smiling! The room with kitchenette was spacious with updated decor, clean and comfortable. The location was great .... close to the malecon, a variety of restaurants, shops, and a large market. Food was good at the CoExist restaurant and the service was outstanding. Although the hotel is on a busy street, it was not an issue during the night.

We recommend this hotel, and will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I visited Hotel Rio in May 2013 as I was attending some kiteboarding events in the area and was recommend by a friend to stay there. The staff all treated me with great hospitality from the moment I arrived. I had a LOT of kiteboarding gear which they stored for me downstairs so I didn't have to take it up to my room. They were very friendly and it didn't seem at all that they it was a smile for a tip as you get in most hotels. The room was immaculate, lovely design and the best shampoo/conditioner/moisturizer I have ever seen in any hotel! All organic too! Even though the patio faced the high street, the glass was thick and I didn't hear a sound. I cant stand noisy hotels so this was ideal!

Downstairs in the Coexist Restaurant, the staff were also lovely and there was an extensive and reasonably priced menu. The food was healthy, tasty and well portioned. I noticed that many walk-ins were coming to dine which is a great sign!

I was traveling alone so it was nice to be looked after! I would recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't want to pay through the roof but is looking for great installations, awesome service, delicious cuisine and perfectly located, one block from the malecon/beach.

Congratulations Hotel Rio, raising the bar!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Great hotel. Highly recommended. The staff was on top of everything, the rooms are very clean. The front desk are glad to help you with directions anywhere you want to visit in Puerto Vallarta. The hotel is located very near the beach and el malecon.

• Stayed April 2013
zvictor, Owner at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your review!

I honestly feel incredibly happy to read your impression of our effort to serve you.

Thank you!

Victor Zamorano

Been to Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!