“Cheap but absolutely no privacy” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Del Mar

Save Saved
You added Hotel Villa Del Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Villa Del Mar
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Francisco I. Madero #440 Col. E. Zapata, Puerto Vallarta 48380, Mexico   |
Ranked #101 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
austin, tx
“Cheap but absolutely no privacy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

I stayed recently at this hotel over a weekend in PV. The hotel was the worst part of vacation!!! There is no privacy at all... don't expect to get any sleep. The first night, a neighbor guest across the hall had his TV way too loud-- of course, you can hear everything every guest is doing because there are holes in the rooms allowing all noise in. The next night, we would have much rather heard the TV because all we got were drunken vacationers making too much dirty "noise" next door. Finally on the morning of the last day there, hoping we could sleep in before our long trip back to Guadalajara, my company and I were woken up by screaming children of a family that was checking in.
There isn't even any privacy in the rooms. The "private" bathrooms' walls dont even complete to the ceiling, so you can hear everything. Talk about comfort for both parties.

Overall horrible experience. Do yourself a favor and shell out a few more bones for a hotel that's mildly relaxing.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

I stayed here for a week with my son and we had a great time.The staff was cool and friendly and REALLY close to the beach.Tons of cafes and bars in the barrio and even a little street stand down the street for early morning REAL coffee.
very clean,lots of hot water,cable with English.
Try to check out the roof top terrace for sunset.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
JoamilkaContreras, General Manager at Hotel Villa Del Mar, responded to this review, March 20, 2010
As General Manager of Villa del Mar, I thank you for your valuable comments as they assist us in providing the high level of service our guests have come to expect.

Once again, we thank you very much for your comments, and we hope to have the opportunity to provide you with the excellence in service we are known for and hope you will give Villa Del Mar another chance to be your host in the future.

Cordially yours,
Ernesto Hernández
General Manager Villa Del Mar
Ripon, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

I came to the hotel with a group of fellow students from a school called ITTO for Spring Break. It came included in the price of my tuition, and honestly it was awesome to have the transportation and the hotel included, and I am truly happy I went out there for free as I have lived in PV before and had plenty on my agenda.

The hotel was very clean, and as another person stated there is no hot water in the bathroom sink, but that's nothing big.

I liked the hotel because I didn't pay for it and the people at the front were very nice, but you could hear everything anyone said any footsteps anyone took after getting in late night after a long night of boozing.. ha. I had the courtesy of taking off my heels as soon as i stepped in, since the floors were really clean anyway, so that I wouldn't wake anyone. Not everyone cared, though, and I'd often hear loud people at ungodly hours of the night. The wall that has the door on it and faces inward has spaces up top with nothing really to help keep sound out it's a void and doesn't really give you privacy. Not to sound crude, but it's like if you passed gas, someone would DEFINITELY hear you. =]

I never went to the roof. I wish I had, but I never quite made it so high. I didn't know there was anything up there. Wish I would have checked this site before going out there!

They had deposits for things like towels and TV remotes, but I think that's not a problem, however many of my classmates thought it was ridiculous. I don't have a problem with temporarily giving someone 15 dollars that I'll get back at the end of the trip. A little bonus I guess you could call it, after spending so much money out there.. Not everyone saw it that way, though. The TVs were very well kept and they had cable. I wouldn't turn it up loud, though because as I said, the walls have the blocks that have voids in them probably to help ventilate but everything can be heard all over.

Another things is that my friend, who is a local and I've been friends with for years, came up to my room to get me because I wasn't in the lobby and we got a knock at the door 5 min later saying there were no visitors allowed and that we'd have to pay extra also. We didn't really listen, but said ok, sure we'll be out in no time. I was just finishing up doing my hair and makeup. I understand that they want to keep strangers out but, boy that's a little rough, especially because it was still early!

I liked the location a lot because it's close to the malecon, or the main "boardwalk" downtown and I never mind walking anywhere in PV really.

I would definitely stay there again, knowing what I'm in for, but it would be a good place to stay on a budget, though you could probably stay elsewhere for about the same price.

AND YES, there are a few reviews that are about Villa del PALmar, which is a totally different luxury hotel out by the port. So about the tennis and such, don't read it.

Hope this helped!

• Liked — It was centrally located and I could walk wherever I wanted to go for the most part.
  • Disliked — THE NOISE and lack of privacy, but I think it's pretty much unanimous on that one.
  • Stayed March 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2008

Just got back from a two & a Half week trip to PV and other places around the state of Jalisco... I have stayed at the Villa Del Mar 16 years ago, and I can honestly say the place has not changed a bit. The only problem is that I forgot how noisy it is. you really do need earplugs to sleep, we took a balcony room (#39) and the bus and traffic noise was incessant. We changed rooms to an interior on the other side of the building (#22) and it was better, but the sounds of people going in and out of their rooms echoed throughout the building. I like the Villa Del Mar and had no problem with staff or anything, but there are definately other options in the price range that I would consider before going back. There are about 5 other small hotels on the same stretch of Madero that I would check into. We also stayed at the Hotel Analiz across the street for US$5 less that we liked better- no swan folded towels, though... However being able to make an online reservation does have advantages, although the no refund for cancellation really bites! I would never consider staying anywhere in PV except the old town, and Villa Del Mar has a great location for the local flavor!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise from Madero
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2007

My room at Villa Del Mar was acceptable, with plenty of light from an outward-facing window. I stayed at the hotel for 8 nights. My biggest complaint was the staff at the reception desk, who ran the gamut from indifferent to downright disagreeable. My biggest gripe: A friend visited me at the hotel for 20 minutes. Shortly afterward, the desk clerk told me I must pay an additional 70 pesos (US$7) for "an extra person." Absurd! There are better values in PV. The Villa del Mar is popular with guests who return repeatedly, and the staff seems to have grown very complacent.

Stayed December 2007
Langley, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2007

This Hotel is used by many long time visitors to Puerto Vallarta as a long term place to stay. Many come for 3-6 months at a time. My Dad included.

I went down to visit him and check on him as he is in his 80's. I had visited him here last year but did not stay at this Hotel as I was on a cruise. This year was different and I decided to stay here.

Let me make this very clear there are 2 Villa del Mar Hotels in Puerto Vallarta. They are named slightly different. This one is about 8 blocks from the beach while the other is on the beach. This one's correct name is Tradicional Villa del Mar, Puerto Vallarta. Do a search and you will find it at the address listed on this page.

This is a traditional Mexican budget Hotel. There is nothing fancy about this hotel other than the staff. The Hotel rooms are simple with brick walls and tile floors with old style dressers. There is no air conditioning only a ceiling fan. The beds are simple double beds or double beds with a single in the room. Some rooms have balcony's. Some have only a view to the inside courtyard while others have kitchens and a balcony.
Rooms are clean and the floors washed daily. One will notice marks on curtains but it was clean and worked well.
One can not forget the towel animal on your bed.
The rooms have new TV's with about 70 channels with a few English stations. Some of the Mexican stations have English shows with Spanish sub titles.

The rooms start at about 300 Pesos a night or about $30 US and rise up from there.

There is a outside sitting area on the upper two floors with chairs and tables as well as a area to sit/lie in the sun on the roof.

The staff are very friendly and all of them said Hello to us even though we did not speak Spanish. There was no problem with the front desk and English/Spanish. I have talked to people who have wintered here for 10 years and there has never been a problem with theft from Maids or others.

While the bathroom is a bit cramped, (think cruise ship bathroom here) it works. The bathroom sinks have no hot water but the showers do.
There are large bottles outside the room in the courtyard area for one to get drinking water. There are glasses and a water jug in your room to do this.

There are many markets near by as well as bus service to just about anywhere you want to go.

If you are looking for somewhere to eat out in the area I would suggest you try the Gilmar just half a block down from the hotel on Madero on the same side as the hotel. While it may look like another Mexican restaurant, I can say it is not. Benjamin told us that his Dad started it back in the 70's as a open air restaurant and how it has changed. This place serves everything from Mexican traditional foods to Steak and Pasta. This place will not disappoint you. The Salsa is made fresh at your table, try it.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Noise from Madero
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2006

I stayed at the Villa del Mar (Madero 440) for 10 days or so and for about $20 got a great room with brick walls, wood furniture and a great little balcony. It was a really great value and very well located right in the center of the Zona Romantica close to many budget restaurants, etc. I did take a look at the non-balcony rooms--they're not so nice, spent the little extra and get a balcony. The rooms seem like they might vary quite a bit too so ask to see several if you're not happy with the first one. My one caveat was that my room was right on the Madero so it was noisy.

Note that many of the reviews listed for this hotel are actually for the Villa del Palmar .. a luxuy resort in the hotel zone nowhere near this property. Don't get confused.

• Liked — balconies, charm, value
  • Disliked — noise
  • Tips/Secrets — get a balcony on Madero
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Villa Del Mar? Share your experiences!