“Comfortable, Classic Centro Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa Del Mar

Save Saved
You added Hotel Villa Del Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Villa Del Mar
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Francisco I. Madero #440 Col. E. Zapata, Puerto Vallarta 48380, Mexico   |
Ranked #101 of 121 hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Barranquilla, Colombia
“Comfortable, Classic Centro Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Located a few blocks from Los Muertos pier, local hangouts Roxy Rock House and Bolero bar, Hotel Villa del Mar is standard, comfortable and clean, with charm and character all its own. The staff is friendly, helpful and courteous; housekeeping is tidy and prompt. Sadly, there is no pool at this hotel, but there is a nice large terrazza where guests are welcome to relax day or night, and the beach is literally a few blocks away. I couldn't find an elevator, but they do have a first floor. Water service (pitcher, glasses, community bottle in shared hall, common) instead of small bottle rations is my only suggestion. Otherwise, great price, amicable staff, clean accommodations.

Room Tip: Request room 47: spacious, with a nice small balcony, 2 beds and a clean large bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is a nice place if you're on a budget. about a 5-10 min walk from the beach and the centre of the town. rooms were big and clean with bathroom attached. great roof terrace with a view over the whole town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Puerto Vallarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Look folks, it's Mexico. You can spend even less than this, depending how few amenities you can survive with. Many Americans and Canadians can't seem to adjust to the way the rest of the world does hotels, with less privacy, no carpet, and old world ways. This place is cool, if all you want to do is sleep and change clothes and look out the window. When I was there, I didn't hear any of the neighbor noise that other reviews mention. They did turn the water off in the middle of the night, so at 1am, I actually had to brush my teeth in the bathroom by the ground floor lobby. The inner courtyard stairwells are cute (see photos in the main listing here on this site). The location is awsome, near a good 24 hour pharma-grocery, and around the corner from a ton of food and drink choices plus top notch taco trucks and stands. If you're an American and don't really like the rest of the world, then don't stay here, stay at an American chain so you can pretend you're not really visiting crumbly old Mexico.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed twice in this hotel and our stay at Villa del Mar was very good.
It's a budget hotel so expect the best a budget hotel can offer.
The hotel is divided in 2 different areas, both are clean, staff is friendly, free wifi at reception and complimentary coffee!
The roof is great for relaxing moment at sunset and yes, there's not privacy just hope in other guests politeness or bring earplugs with you!

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
austin, tx
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

I stayed recently at this hotel over a weekend in PV. The hotel was the worst part of vacation!!! There is no privacy at all... don't expect to get any sleep. The first night, a neighbor guest across the hall had his TV way too loud-- of course, you can hear everything every guest is doing because there are holes in the rooms allowing all noise in. The next night, we would have much rather heard the TV because all we got were drunken vacationers making too much dirty "noise" next door. Finally on the morning of the last day there, hoping we could sleep in before our long trip back to Guadalajara, my company and I were woken up by screaming children of a family that was checking in.
There isn't even any privacy in the rooms. The "private" bathrooms' walls dont even complete to the ceiling, so you can hear everything. Talk about comfort for both parties.

Overall horrible experience. Do yourself a favor and shell out a few more bones for a hotel that's mildly relaxing.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

I stayed here for a week with my son and we had a great time.The staff was cool and friendly and REALLY close to the beach.Tons of cafes and bars in the barrio and even a little street stand down the street for early morning REAL coffee.
very clean,lots of hot water,cable with English.
Try to check out the roof top terrace for sunset.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
JoamilkaContreras, General Manager at Hotel Villa Del Mar, responded to this review, March 20, 2010
As General Manager of Villa del Mar, I thank you for your valuable comments as they assist us in providing the high level of service our guests have come to expect.

Once again, we thank you very much for your comments, and we hope to have the opportunity to provide you with the excellence in service we are known for and hope you will give Villa Del Mar another chance to be your host in the future.

Cordially yours,
Ernesto Hernández
General Manager Villa Del Mar
Ripon, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

I came to the hotel with a group of fellow students from a school called ITTO for Spring Break. It came included in the price of my tuition, and honestly it was awesome to have the transportation and the hotel included, and I am truly happy I went out there for free as I have lived in PV before and had plenty on my agenda.

The hotel was very clean, and as another person stated there is no hot water in the bathroom sink, but that's nothing big.

I liked the hotel because I didn't pay for it and the people at the front were very nice, but you could hear everything anyone said any footsteps anyone took after getting in late night after a long night of boozing.. ha. I had the courtesy of taking off my heels as soon as i stepped in, since the floors were really clean anyway, so that I wouldn't wake anyone. Not everyone cared, though, and I'd often hear loud people at ungodly hours of the night. The wall that has the door on it and faces inward has spaces up top with nothing really to help keep sound out it's a void and doesn't really give you privacy. Not to sound crude, but it's like if you passed gas, someone would DEFINITELY hear you. =]

I never went to the roof. I wish I had, but I never quite made it so high. I didn't know there was anything up there. Wish I would have checked this site before going out there!

They had deposits for things like towels and TV remotes, but I think that's not a problem, however many of my classmates thought it was ridiculous. I don't have a problem with temporarily giving someone 15 dollars that I'll get back at the end of the trip. A little bonus I guess you could call it, after spending so much money out there.. Not everyone saw it that way, though. The TVs were very well kept and they had cable. I wouldn't turn it up loud, though because as I said, the walls have the blocks that have voids in them probably to help ventilate but everything can be heard all over.

Another things is that my friend, who is a local and I've been friends with for years, came up to my room to get me because I wasn't in the lobby and we got a knock at the door 5 min later saying there were no visitors allowed and that we'd have to pay extra also. We didn't really listen, but said ok, sure we'll be out in no time. I was just finishing up doing my hair and makeup. I understand that they want to keep strangers out but, boy that's a little rough, especially because it was still early!

I liked the location a lot because it's close to the malecon, or the main "boardwalk" downtown and I never mind walking anywhere in PV really.

I would definitely stay there again, knowing what I'm in for, but it would be a good place to stay on a budget, though you could probably stay elsewhere for about the same price.

AND YES, there are a few reviews that are about Villa del PALmar, which is a totally different luxury hotel out by the port. So about the tennis and such, don't read it.

Hope this helped!

• Liked — It was centrally located and I could walk wherever I wanted to go for the most part.
  • Disliked — THE NOISE and lack of privacy, but I think it's pretty much unanimous on that one.
  • Stayed March 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Villa Del Mar? Share your experiences!